Rumor: 2023-2024 Trade Rumors and Free Agency: Off-season is in full swing

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
Colorado is going to be a tough team to play against next season.

You’re talking about having Lehkonen, Nichushkin, Wood/Colton on three separate lines. That puts a lot of pressure on other teams. Imo, McFarland, Sakic, and Bednar have identified what they were lacking last season and adjusted

Last years team was terribly mismanaged. They basically played shorthanded all year because they were expecting Landeksog to come back. This year they’ll actually be able to fill out the roster.
100%. People here and on the main board like to ignore this fact. Plus they have top 6 replacements that actually have top 6 talent (albeit flawed), and a lot less shrimps in the bottom 6.

Also posters here are just assuming we will be injruy riddled again while every other team will stay healthy. I would also like to really drive home that Johansen and Drouin, while potentially unmotivated regular season players, both have a history of raising to the occasion in the playoffs. That's all I care about with new players joining this team at this point.

Last edited:

MarchessaultCantRead

Mar 3, 2023
Probably because he doesn't have only one impressive season.... He has multiple impressive seasons, one flat out dominant season where he played like a Top 10 Dman in the league.
He’s alright, but he’s definitely not a top-10 dman and didn’t play like one last year either lol!

Did you think that Erik Gustafsson was a top-10 dman after 18-19 too?!? :laugh:

Reactions: Metallo

ANewHope

Nuggets|Avs|Broncos
May 26, 2011
I've just got a sinking feeling the Avs are going to keep Toews, Byram and Girard right up until Toews walks for free.

Avs can't basically can't win with Toews. It's unrealistic for a team to trade what has basically been a 1D with a 4.1 mill cap hit in a contending year. No idea how they keep him. Basically hope he underperforms points wise this year and Byram leaps him but that's likely not happening.

He's going to walk. He'll get a crazy contract. He's been top 15 in Norris voting 3 straight years and even in a down year put up almost 40 points playing 25 minutes a night on PP2. Throw in his cup run, cap rising, and GM's not caring about age like fans do and I just don't see how the Avs will be able to match. Yeah he'll be 30 but he's only got like 300ish games played in the NHL.

Reactions: The Moops

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Seattle clearly paid a premium in AAV to be able to only buy Dunn's best UFA years from age 26 to 30 and not get stuck with the bad 30+ years.

Toews will be 30 next year, if he wants 7 or 8 years at age 30 he's just not a comparable to Dunn.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Colorado is going to be a tough team to play against next season.

You’re talking about having Lehkonen, Nichushkin, Wood/Colton on three separate lines. That puts a lot of pressure on other teams. Imo, McFarland, Sakic, and Bednar have identified what they were lacking last season and adjusted

Last years team was terribly mismanaged. They basically played shorthanded all year because they were expecting Landeksog to come back. This year they’ll actually be able to fill out the roster.

Yeah it was fairly obvious IMO and I'm glad they addressed it.

Missing Landy, Val, Cogs, Helm, and having Lehknonen compromised took a lot of jam out of their lineup.

Especially in terms of net front presence and the ability to score much needed greasy goals against a Seattle team that played good two way hockey, and a goalie playing well, who they should have got more traffic in front of to take away his eyes.

This was clearly addressed with with the additions of Johansen, Wood, and Colton.

And hopefully with Val, Lehky, and Cogs in the lineup too they'll be even tougher to play against up front than they have been in a really long time. Even more so if Landy comes back.

I think Colton brings some swagger and self confidence that they lost with Naz. Zadorov and to an extent McLeod before Naz too. You could see it in Colton's fights with LOC and how he held up the number 1 to the Avs bench as a way to say "We got 1 we're still here." Wood's got some swagger too.

On top of everything else, the Avs could have used some of that swagger against Seattle to boost their confidence, with so many things going against them. Could have made the difference in a close series.

NateTheGreat

Mar 19, 2012
Winnipeg
Byram making the leap to become our #2 D-man would be monumental for the team. First off, the added value we would get from the contract he signed would be amazing. Also it would also allow for Toews to gradually transition to our second pair. Thus setting up a contract offer that would more accurately reflect the role he would be playing for the duration of his next contract. Anything over 7.5M annually for me would be tough to justify given our cap constraints.

ANewHope

Nuggets|Avs|Broncos
May 26, 2011
Seattle clearly paid a premium in AAV to be able to only buy Dunn's best UFA years from age 26 to 30 and not get stuck with the bad 30+ years.

Toews will be 30 next year, if he wants 7 or 8 years at age 30 he's just not a comparable to Dunn.

People keep mentioning Toews age but I just don't think GM's will care as much as fans. We see it every year. Dunn's 26 but I'm pretty sure he's played like an entire seasons worth of games more than Toews at the NHL level. You'll have atleast 1 GM that won't give a shit about how old Toews is and will pay him for what's he done.

We'll see what happens next year(Dunn having a repeat of last year, Toews regressing etc.) but as of today Toews is just far more proven.

MacKaRant

Sponsor
Jul 27, 2021
Do we think the Avs are talking to Toews's agent about a long term contract right now? Or will the front office wait until seeing how he looks this season and where Byram's game goes?

Serious question. No way Avs trade him as long as they're in a playoff spot, and I don't think there's much risk in his AAV going up from where it would be now, and front office has shown the willingness to wait until the end of the exclusive negotiating window to sign their pending UFAs. There's not a lot to gain by re-upping him this summer.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
I don't see how Colorado keeps Toews and Byram long term, along with Makar. It seems to me that a choice will have to made between Toews and Byram.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

NorthernAvsFan

Jun 25, 2014
I wonder if the Kovalenko signing changes anything for McFarland.

Does he look more for a centre with his last move now that he knows he has a wing secured for later in the year?

I also think they want to give Meyers and Pavel a chance in camp too. Tough call. Either way they’ll still probably add one more body.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I mean RyJo shot double his career shooting % in 21-22… That’s not necessarily sustainable. It’s looking like an outlier based on career trajectory though. Even if you take out Kadris outlier season and keep RyJo’s he’s averaged a higher points pace than RyJo(52.5 to 50.8) the last 5 seasons. The RyJo move has a ton of risk involved with it, even if I think there’s more upside with him. But that upside is far from a guarantee.

It's been said, I think most recently by Trotz that Ryjo has changed his game a bit to someone who goes to the dirty areas more, and uses his body more.

Lots of tip ins and goals around the net. Obviously that shooting percentage isn't going to hold, but the guy can get goals in many different ways the way he's been playing.

Not worried about it tbH.. with the wingers he'll have he'll get plenty of chances going to the net or not. I do think he's better at using and adapting to his line mates than Kadri was.

Kadri is kind of a straight line center, Ryjo is more cerebral. I'm excited to see what he does as the #2 and with someone like Mack setting the tone.

You do not wear the socks of someone you do not respect. Also, Bednar knows him as well as any coach outside of Trotz.

There are so many reasons to believe we're going to enjoy watching that dude this year.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I don't really think Drouin is a big issue... if he succeeds, then the Avs simply don't have to add a top 6 winger at the deadline. If he doesn't, the Avs will have to make a move for one of the ~10-15 top 6 wingers available. Not a big deal. Wingers are easy to get.

Welcome to the party on pointing that out. Ryjo and Colton will make or break this roster not Drouin.

If Cmac needed to do one thing it was solve the 2C. I like Ryjo fine, even excited to see what he's going to do.

The rest is way easier to solve in season. Although #4 RHD worries me. If we have to solve the top 6 wing, and a Top 4 D in season that is going to be hurtful asset wise.

It's weird because Girard is a top 4 D, but is he still one in the playoffs? I don't know honestly, he was better this year, but he wasn't Manson in the cup run. They better manage Manson well this year so he's healthy in the playoffs at all costs. Or find a way to replace him and put him in the rotation on the bottom pair.

Manson is the ingredient for a cup run I fear the most right now personally. May just be me though.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Man you sure lost a lot of faith in RyJo. You used to like him.

Hench is just a realist and pointing out the possibility.

I mean, sure we could have three centers top 60 points. Who needs a 4C if they're eating that much ice though. That would be Duchy, ROR, Staz days with an actually competent D core.

I doubt Colton has the linemates or PP time consistently to break out like that unless significant injuries happen. You never know with this team though.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
People have discounted Dallas for a while out of hatred. It was clear coming down the stretch that was a complete and deep team. They were just a sliver away this past year even with Otter playing poorly.

Some teams are missing the last bit of Magic/Voodoo, I thought the Panthers found it after showing everyone Boston didn't, but poof they went.

I kinda personally predicted Boston as a paper tiger. Didn't really want to go on record with it though lol. They've had some monster seasons and shit the bed in the playoffs enough in recent years to wonder if the exact thing that happened was going to happen again. It did..

Dallas doesn't have it either, their leaders are the wrong kind, so unless the kids step up and take control of that team they'll continue to fail.

Intangibles are a bitch sometimes

Reactions: niwotsblessing
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad