Rumor: 2023-2024 Trade Rumors and Free Agency: Off-season is in full swing

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
Apparently Yzerman disagrees.
I mean Detroit looks like a cluster f*** of a team. I don't think anyone including Yzerman really know what's going on up there. They seem to kinda be ending up like the Senators. Some potential, but strange roster build.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I do too. This team on paper is the best in the league. We are loaded with 4- top 25 players in the league in Mackinnon, Rantanen, Makar and Toews. They are elite. Georgiev is a top 10 goalie. Byram has #1 Dman potential. Nuke is a legit top 6 forward and an elite play driver. Colton has potential to be a steal at his contract and is crazy tough to play against. Johansen has 25/65 potential. We have skill, size and grit.

But, can we stay healthy? That's the question.
Ryjo has 90pt potential??? Good lord.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I feel like they did their best using their intuition from a scouting perspective mixed in with a little bit of high risk and high reward on potential. Versus last year where they took the older Avalanche approach of pick BS of the waiver wire and get old guys who have been here before.

I like the team, if it works a ton more going into this year than last year.
I agree with this. I at least feel that at the positions, the players brought in have shown the capability to play the roles asked of them. Drouin has played as a top 6 wing before and done well. RyJo has been a top 6 center for years. Colton prior to Tampa grabbing Paul was their 3C. Wood has played a 3W before. At minimum, there are signs in the recentish past of that play. The risk is simply on the other side of it where none of them showed that LAST season.

Reactions: shadow1

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I mean Detroit looks like a cluster f*** of a team. I don't think anyone including Yzerman really know what's going on up there. They seem to kinda be ending up like the Senators. Some potential, but strange roster build.
Sens are built correctly, they just need (needed) a goalie. Not sure why you'd compare those 2.

Reactions: LOFIN

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
I agree with this. I at least feel that at the positions, the players brought in have shown the capability to play the roles asked of them. Drouin has played as a top 6 wing before and done well. RyJo has been a top 6 center for years. Colton prior to Tampa grabbing Paul was their 3C. Wood has played a 3W before. At minimum, there are signs in the recentish past of that play. The risk is simply on the other side of it where none of them showed that LAST season.
Yeah last year it felt like they were trying to tape the roster together until Landeskog could come back. While I don't think they should be done adding, I think this team is stronger going into the year than they were last year (assuming Nuke is back to normal). Wood, Drouin, and Colton all feel like "Avs fits" who I think will do well in CO. They seem to fit the identity and team much better. I am usually negative, but I think the Avalanche almost took the West last year with the team they were icing most of the year, they can pretty easily repeat that with on par performances from the players acquired.

Not to mention they picked up another first rounder, kept their own, and added two prospects I think make it to the NHL. All his while offloading two pretty meh players who IMO didn't really do much more than fill up space and do something fancy here and there. The team got better, but still has holes. This team would get to the WCF if it were to be playing last season IMO.

Sens are built correctly, they just need (needed) a goalie. Not sure why you'd compare those 2.
I like some pieces that Detroit has, and think they are built well in areas.

The clusterf*** is from this offseason. To me they just seem like a team who is going to be ranked 10-12 in the east for awhile.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I don't get the Dallas bit. They've got young talent, netted better players in the offseason, and should get better goaltending than last year's team that went to the WCF where 2 of their losses were in OT.

The Defense is the main thing. Beyond Heiskanen it's an extremely unimpressive group IMO.

I'm also not convinced about Robertson, particularly in the playoffs.

I also don't really see the young talent doing much for them, at least not next year.

They're well coached and I wouldn't say they're a bad team by any means, but I also wouldn't say they're better than us either. They haven't done anything yet to suggest they're a better team then us in my eyes.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
The Defense is the main thing. Beyond Heiskanen it's an extremely unimpressive group IMO.

I'm also not convinced about Robertson, particularly in the playoffs.

I also don't really see the young talent doing much for them, at least not next year.

They're well coached and I wouldn't say they're a bad team by any means, but I also wouldn't say they're better than us either. They haven't done anything yet to suggest they're a better team then us in my eyes.

Lindell is a legit top pairing guy and one of the better pure defensive guys out there. Hakanpaa is also pretty underrated. Suter, Hanley, and Lundqvist do suck though. Their effectiveness I think depends a lot on Harley continuing his play. They didn't have him up during the season because of Lundqvist, but in the playoffs he quickly showed why that was a mistake. He was money in the playoffs. He does that next season and their defense should be really solid to good when Suter, Hanley, and Lundqvist can rotate through the bottom pairing.

Reactions: Murzu

SB

Mar 9, 2004
Colorado
The Dallas board would likely welcome you. to answer your question though, Ryjo had quite a good season the year after last. We also don’t have 23.5 million wrapped up in Benn, seguin and Marchment. I’ll take the avs all day, you pessimists never change and Barely had a word to say when they won the cup lmao. Not simping for anything, I’m just not a smooth brain and know what this team has. Mackinnon, Rantanen and Makar need good surroundings and depth, the team is deeper today and the off-season isn’t even over, the deadline hasn’t happened either. Forgive me for not shedding tears in july a year removed from a cup. You and Chet stay crying year round.

Future seer?

• Haha
Reactions: Avaholic29

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Honestly I still think it's early in the summer to be having this conversation. I feel like there's still a lot of roster movement yet to happen across the entire league before we can say who's the top contenders.

I think its more then fair to have questions around the Avs right now. Johansen and Drouin are significant question marks, even Colton and Wood are unknowns.

Johansen is probably the single biggest question mark though. Drouin will provide his 0.5ppg pace like he has every other year of his career, it's just a question of if the Avs/Mackinnon could potentially get even more out of him and not make his roster spot a weakness. Colton will provide 15 Goals and 30-35 points, just a question of if we can find anymore out of his game. Wood is a complete unknown IMO but not nearly as important as a 3rd line winger compared to our 2C.

If Johansen plays at a high level that he has shown in his past, this roster is very dangerous IMO. A 70 point Johansen who also goes beast mode in the playoffs is basically a complete Kadri replacement from our cup year.

But if he doesn't, if he either continues to not give a shit or injuries are caught up to him... Then we're probably in a bad spot. I like Colton as the 2C slightly better then JT2C from last year, but not by much. We might win a round but we won't win the cup.

So basically it comes down to RyJo for me. The rest of the questions matter to an extent, but none of them matter if RyJo doesn't get the job done.

Reactions: Vk1ing

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I see you're a big Matt Duchene fan then?
very-much-so-yes-daniel-radcliffe.gif

MacKaRant

Sponsor
Jul 27, 2021
If people actually read his description, he basically says that for Colorado, the model probably doesn’t work so good.

I think the problem with Dom's model in this case (and many other models), is that it is very difficult to isolate individual impact from the team effects and linemate effects. JTC looked very good statistically because (a) he is a solid and defensively responsible player, but, perhaps more importantly, (b) because of who he played with night in and night out both on his line and on the team as a whole.

Superstars like Nate and Mikko can help make those next to them appear significantly better, and having a good team in general with a good coach amplifies those effects. To put it another way, JTC isn't getting Selke votes if he's on a team coached by Hynes and his most common winger is Filip Forsberg, as good as Forsberg is.

I'm very interested to see what Johansen can do with an elite winger on a team that doesn't just prioritize rush chances.

Reactions: Vk1ing

JH21

Oct 20, 2019
I’d say considering his entire Montreal tenure averaged out to 48pts per 82 games.

And considering he has never played a full 82 games in his 9 years in the league I'd wager the chances of him even coming remotely close to 48 points are slim to none.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Lol. I would put good money on Dallas not winning the division if you're up for it. Yes Hintz and Robertson are good, but Robertson was a ghost for them in the POs for the most part. And yes Heiskanen is great. Point is MacKinnon, Rantanen and Makar are on another tier
Sure 29, 96 and 8 are arguably 3 best players in the whole division.

But our depth is garbage compared to Dallas.

Bottom 6 needs improvements to be considered a contender.

Avaholic29

Feb 5, 2014

Bottom 6 needs improvements to be considered a contender.
Johansen = Seguin
Drouin < Pavelski
Lehkonen > Dadonov
Nichushkin > Duchene
Colton > Marchment
Wood > Dellandrea
Cogliano = Steel
Meyers < Faksa

What am I missing??? Our top end talent wipes the floor with theirs too. Dallas isn’t that good and have way too much money wrapped up in mediocre.

Reactions: Vk1ing and Linds

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Avs swept the Oilers with Francouz in net. You really should stop worrying about LA losing to the Oilers due to poor goaltending.
1) LA isn't Colorado of 21-22
2) Edmonton has beaten LA and that trash ass goaltending in back to back playoff seasons.

Until LA finds someone who can stop a puck, they will continue to be fodder for McDavid and Co.

Reactions: GeoRox89

JH21

Oct 20, 2019
It's going to come down to us or the Stars. And as it stands, I'd take the Stars center depth over the Kings.

Robertson- Hintz- Pavelski
Benn- Johnson- Duchene
Marchement- Seguin- Dadonov
Steel- Faska- Dellandrea

Suter - Heiskanen
Lindell - Hakanpaa
Harley - Lundkvist

Oettinger
Wedgewood

Thats about as good as it gets.

lionsDen

Hated And Proud
Jan 26, 2022

Bottom 6 needs improvements to be considered
The org has proven they can build a contender. They have proven time and again to usually get the best out of their trades. I think it’s a hf meme at this point not to trade with sakic. This was a putrid year for free agents. They recognized from last year down the middle we sucked. They plugged it with some potential that it will pay off. They have been super aggressive this summer. No offense bro but I just don’t think you’re being very realistif

Avaholic29

Feb 5, 2014
Cry me a f***ing river...

If this is how you handle someone that has a differing opinion than your own, you have a lot of growing up to do.

What’s wrong with a little fun? There’s having a different opinion and being a constant negative lol the only active rivers in these boards are from your constant whining and
Crying.

It's going to come down to us or the Stars. And as it stands, I'd take the Stars center depth over the Kings.

Robertson- Hintz- Pavelski
Benn- Johnson- Duchene
Marchement- Seguin- Dadonov
Steel- Faska- Dellandrea

Suter - Heiskanen
Lindell - Hakanpaa
Harley - Lundkvist

Oettinger
Wedgewood

Thats about as good as it gets.

Garbage Dcore. Have to hope Benn and seguin have productive years again too.

BaconNater

Jul 4, 2011
CO
Samsonov had his arb hearing with the Leafs today? Hope he gets a bunch and then Murray doesn't go on LTIR then they have to trade Nylander

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Samsonov had his arb hearing with the Leafs today? Hope he gets a bunch and then Murray doesn't go on LTIR then they have to trade Nylander
I doubt the Leafs would, but if he's over the walk away, Leafs can simply let him go and then buyout Murray in the 2nd window. Might be the best cap situation for them honestly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad