Rumor: 2023-2024 Trade Rumors and Free Agency: Off-season is in full swing

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
The criminal under rating of JTC around here is astonishing.

Far from a perfect player, he sure as hell wasn't bad either.

I personally don't view RyJo as an upgrade to JTC. It's lateral move IMO.

RyJo is not the player he was 5 years ago and is coming off a major injury.
Yah, fair enough. Let's see how Compher does in Detroit.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
No wonder I don’t subscribe to athletic. That’s garbage. Avs are gonna improve just by default because they’re probably gonna go into next season healthier. Guys like Manson are gonna be healthy. In what world Colton isn’t improvement over Newhook? RyJo is most likely improvement over JTC at 2C. Byram potentially having healthier season is also huge. The athletic can take those advanced stats and flush them down the toilet
It would be a mistake to assume that we're going to be healthier, we have no idea.

On top of our usual injury prone team, Wood, RyJo and Drouin have been on IR quite a bit recently.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I love how there is an article that basically states the Avs have had shit offseason and it's immediately looked upon as BS around here.

Let's call a spade a spade, they had two great moves to start the offseason, and then the draft rolled around and they starting faltering and continued that through the start of UFA.

Not sure that they've actually improved the team from last year, only shifted problems around. So yeah I think 25th is a pretty fair rating as of this point in the offseason.

If they fix the bottom 6 and make a couple of decent adds so that Meyers and Olaffson aren't penciled in then I'd move them result into the 12-15 range.

But as of now they've earned that 25th ranking, two good moves doesn't make an offseason.

Reactions: Balthazar

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
We just don't know with RyJo. Dude has always had effort issues, but when he was on and giving a shit, he was a legit 1C. Does moving to the Avs get him to give a shit? Is his body capable enough at his age and with his injuries? It is a huge question mark. If he doesn't care, he could be completely healthy and still be a 30 point guy because he just doesn't care. If his body is done, no amount of him giving a shit matters. We just don't know.

I'm on the side that we will get the best out of him possible. I just have zero clue how good that player will be.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I dont buy Dallas as a contender and I don't buy Edmonton as a contender.

Oilers Defense and Goaltending is simply nowhere near good enough. Darnell Nurse as your #1D is never going to work. I like Ekholm but he isn't getting any younger either. And Bouchard is so terrible defensively it basically takes away all the good he does on offense.

Until they improve that Defense, they'll always be a team people think has a shot because of McDavid/Leon but they'll never go all the way. If they make the right moves on Defense it probably helps the Goaltending a lot as well.

New Jersey for my money is the team to beat next year, so long as the Goaltending holds up. And the scary thing about them is they're extremely young still. They're going to be an absolute force in the league for the next 6-8 years.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I love how there is an article that basically states the Avs have had shit offseason and it's immediately looked upon as BS around here.

Let's call a spade a spade, they had two great moves to start the offseason, and then the draft rolled around and they starting faltering and continued that through the start of UFA.

Not sure that they've actually improved the team from last year, only shifted problems around. So yeah I think 25th is a pretty fair rating as of this point in the offseason.

If they fix the bottom 6 and make a couple of decent adds so that Meyers and Olaffson aren't penciled in then I'd move them result into the 12-15 range.

But as of now they've earned that 25th ranking, two good moves doesn't make an offseason.

You didn't actually read the article did you?

You're approaching nammerus levels of ridiculous hyperbole at this point.

the_fan

Have we traded Mikko yet?
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
It would be a mistake to assume that we're going to be healthier, we have no idea.

On top of our usual injury prone team, Wood, RyJo and Drouin have been on IR quite a bit recently.
To start the season they should be healthier. Other than Landy, anyone that wasn’t in the lineup in game 7 vs Seattle, guys like Manson, Cogs, are gonna be in the lineup for the 1st game of next season. Also we gonna have Nuke. That’s top 4 D, top 6 winger and 4th line heart and soul guy will be in the lineup. That’s automatically an improvement

NateTheGreat

Mar 19, 2012
Winnipeg
And I love how everywhere you look, the Avs are the favourites to win it all, yet a journalists model/opinion carries more weight. Careful with the confirmation bias.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
You didn't actually read the article did you?

You're approaching nammerus levels of ridiculous hyperbole at this point.
Nope, don't pay for crap content.

Just agreeing with where they ranked us. I don't care what their reasoning is, I care about what I've seen from the Avs this offseason and it's simply not enough. So bottom 3rd of the league for offseason improvement ranking seems fair.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I dont buy Dallas as a contender and I don't buy Edmonton as a contender.

Oilers Defense and Goaltending is simply nowhere near good enough. Darnell Nurse as your #1D is never going to work. I like Ekholm but he isn't getting any younger either. And Bouchard is so terrible defensively it basically takes away all the good he does on offense.

Until they improve that Defense, they'll always be a team people think has a shot because of McDavid/Leon but they'll never go all the way. If they make the right moves on Defense it probably helps the Goaltending a lot as well.

New Jersey for my money is the team to beat next year, so long as the Goaltending holds up. And the scary thing about them is they're extremely young still. They're going to be an absolute force in the league for the next 6-8 years.
I don't get the Dallas bit. They've got young talent, netted better players in the offseason, and should get better goaltending than last year's team that went to the WCF where 2 of their losses were in OT.

Reactions: Murzu and chet1926

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
And I love how everywhere you look, the Avs are the favourites to win it all, yet a journalists model/opinion carries more weight. Careful with the confirmation bias.
We were laughably "favored" to win last year when anyone with a brain attached could see a train wreck coming after the shitty trade deadline.

I don't care what journalists think, I was simply agreeing with their ranking spot in terms of offseason improvement, as I think it's pretty fair. Offseason outside of the first two trades has been largely disappointing.

Avaholic29

Feb 5, 2014
Nope, don't pay for crap content.

Just agreeing with where they ranked us. I don't care what their reasoning is, I care about what I've seen from the Avs this offseason and it's simply not enough. So bottom 3rd of the league for offseason improvement ranking seems fair.

I’ve seen articles that said avs were winners at the draft and that they’ve had an incredible offseason. Your opinion would hold some sort of weight if you didn’t say compher and johansen was a lateral move lmao.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
That article could’ve put the Avs at number 1 and it would still be a pretty bad article.
The simple process used to evaluate the ranking has so many issues with it.

All it’s done is made the people unhappy with the offseason use it as evidence.

Had it been inverse, and the Avs were at the top of the list, it would just as bad for people happy with the offseason to use it as justification.

It’s that bad an analysis.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I don't get the Dallas bit. They've got young talent, netted better players in the offseason, and should get better goaltending than last year's team that went to the WCF where 2 of their losses were in OT.
Dallas is significantly better than us at the moment, and easily one of the top 2 teams in the West on paper. Easily a top contender.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Some people think that Dallas is still lead by Benn, Seguin and Pavelsky.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I’ve seen articles that said avs were winners at the draft and that they’ve had an incredible offseason. Your opinion would hold some sort of weight if you didn’t say compher and johansen was a lateral move lmao.
I don't what RyJo you've watched lately but he is nowhere near what he was 5 years ago.

If you think he is significantly better than JTC than be prepared for disappointment.

More talented, sure. But lazy as can be and coming off a major injury. We'll see what happens I guess.

Maybe coming to Colorado will motivate him and he performs well, if that's the case then yes he's better than JTC.

If he brings his so so motivation, who knows what we'll get from a guy coming off a major injury.

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
Dallas is significantly better than us at the moment, and easily one of the top 2 teams in the West on paper. Easily a top contender.
Meh i disagree. Their top talent doesn't come close to matching ours. Pavelski, Benn, Seguin all a year older. We all know what Duchene is. They've got a good team with good depth and will be a tough out but I don't think they are a contender.

Reactions: Alienblood

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
The analysis in the article is simply the analytic model. So just remember that when you use the same model to promote how good the Avs are. ;)

Frankly none of the public analytic models are very kind to what the Avs did this offseason.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I'm not saying Dallas is bad, but we lost to Seattle by 1 goal while being seriously crippled by injuries and other BS. Dallas beat Seattle by one goal, then proceded to shit the bed against Vegas. Yet some people here are talking like they are the 2021-2022 Avs and we are Minnesota of the last decade.

I agree, they've improved by adding Duchene and Oettinger is probably better. But reading some of this stuff amuses me.

Reactions: Avaholic29

JH21

Oct 20, 2019
I don’t really think Drouin or Nuke are question marks. Even last year with everything going on Nuke still put up top line numbers. He’ll be fine. Drouins basically a guaranteed 45pts, he should be fine in the top 6. Manson and RyJo are major question marks though.

Drouin is a guaranteed 45 points? How do you figure that out?

Is it based on his last 4 point totals of 15, 23, 20 and 29?

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Meh i disagree. Their top talent doesn't come close to matching ours. Pavelski, Benn, Seguin all a year older. They've got a good team and good depth but I don't think they are a contender.
They have good young players in Robertson and Hintz, great offensive depth, solid defense led by Heiskenen and a top tier goalie.

Should have won the division last year, and right now should win it by 10+ pts this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad