Rumor: 2023-2024 Trade Rumors and Free Agency: Off-season is in full swing

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
If Colton is producing at that rate, it means he passed RyJo on the depth chart and RyJo is probably in his don't give a F mode with bad defense and maybe 30 points.
Man you sure lost a lot of faith in RyJo. You used to like him.

Reactions: Alienblood

NateTheGreat

Mar 19, 2012
Winnipeg
I don’t understand the take that the Avs possibly aren’t even a top 5 contender for this season. Which teams can you definitively say has a better chance at the cup? Vegas is the only obvious one. I don’t see the argument for teams like Toronto, Florida, Dallas, Edmonton, NYR, New Jersey to be better bets than the Avs to win it all. Almost everywhere you look, Avs are the favourite.

Reactions: Linds

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
I don’t understand the take that the Avs possibly aren’t even a top 5 contender for this season. Which teams can you definitively say has a better chance at the cup? Vegas is the only obvious one. I don’t see the argument for teams like Toronto, Florida, Dallas, Edmonton, NYR, New Jersey to be better bets than the Avs to win it all. Almost everywhere you look, Avs are the favourite.
Remember, our window closed when we lost Saad.

nammerus

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site

They have the worst top 6 forward group (by not an insignificant margin) compared to those team, and have by far the worst #2C (which is kind of sad, since Tyler Seguin is a part of that group) out of those teams. And a management team that doesn’t seem to think those things matter, so it’s unlikely to change going forward.

We’ll see how far the D can pull this team forward again…if it can stay somewhat healthy.

the_fan

Have we traded Mikko yet?
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Yes. And there's a lot of people that don't want to admit this, but JTC also generated zero offense and just slurped up Rantanen splash damage.

If JTC played in the bottom 6 he'd have performed offensively/statistically like Eller.
JTC performed just fine as 3C in the cup run and was very good in the playoffs. He was just not suited for 2C

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Drouin had mental and injury issues and has missed a shitload of games in the last 4 years. He's full of question marks. His contract can be buried but we have no spare top 6er.

Nuke missed 29 regular season games last year due to a lingering injury (and didn't look the same when he was playing if you remember correctly) + we all know how he left the team in the playoffs. If he's not a question mark right now I don't know what he is :laugh:
Nuke put up 47pts in 53 games last year. He may have looked a little off, but at the worst that’s still top line production with pretty good analytics. And that’s including his nagging injuries and potential addiction problems. Yeah whatever happened during the playoffs, but he’s going to be here for training camp and for the upcoming season. Unless something has gone horribly wrong I don’t see why he won’t put up 65pts next year while still adding all he does off the puck. He’ll be fine :dunno:

And as I said earlier with Drouin, he’s a guaranteed 48pts. And now he gets to get out of the montreal market that seemed to do a number on his mental health and come to a small market that’s way less of a pressure cooker. He’ll get to play with or at least be around Mack who he’s good friends with and he will get to play his natural
position. I mean there’s obviously some questions there, but this is about as good of a situation for him as you could ask for. Same with the team. If it doesn’t work out all you need is a halfway decent winger to get at the TDL and thats the easiest thing to an acquire.

NateTheGreat

Mar 19, 2012
Winnipeg
They have the worst top 6 forward group (by not an insignificant margin) compared to those team, and have by far the worst #2C (which is kind of sad, since Tyler Seguin is a part of that group) out of those teams. And a management team that doesn’t seem to think those things matter, so it’s unlikely to change going forward.

We’ll see how far the D can pull this team forward again…if it can stay somewhat healthy.
Damn, the worst top 6 forward group out of those teams, yet they are favourites to win it all.

Reactions: Alienblood

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Tampa 2019-2021, Kings 2012-2014, Hawks 2010 and 2012-2014:nod:

Avs certainly have questions and I wouldn't put them as the top contender next year (arguably not even top 5), but I think the Avs have reasonably attacked their weaknesses with solid bets. It certainly wasn't perfect and more can be done, but as someone who has slammed them not being aggressive enough for years (before and after the Cup), they did some aggressive work with the restrictions they have. Just gonna have to see it play out now.
I meant this upcoming season. List your contenders, I bet you can find question marks with all of 'em.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Man you sure lost a lot of faith in RyJo. You used to like him.
Where are you getting that I hate or lost faith in him?

I meant this upcoming season. List your contenders, I bet you can find question marks with all of 'em.
Yeah likely, but stories aren't finished and it would be reasonable to state the Avs questions are bigger than some.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I mean I’d have the Devils, Hurricanes, Rangers, and maybe Vegas ahead of the Avs currently. If RyJo turns the clock back that could push the Avs up a little, but there’s some questions at 2C and in the bottom 6 that hold us back right now.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Yeah likely, but stories aren't finished and it would be reasonable to state the Avs questions are bigger than some.
I just personally don't think we are any worse off than the rest of the contenders. The margins are very slim. When we won, we were much clearer favourites from the get go than any team currently is IMO. I don't really think there's a single team separating themselves above the rest of the "contenders".

I mean I’d have the Devils, Hurricanes, Rangers, and maybe Vegas ahead of the Avs currently. If RyJo turns the clock back that could push the Avs up a little, but there’s some questions at 2C and in the bottom 6 that hold us back right now.
Devils have no goalie, and are still young and inexperienced. Hurricanes have no forward depth. Rangers need to have serious leaps from the young forwards and Panarin needs to unf*** himself. Vegas is probably in the best spot, if you believe Adin Hill is actually a good goalie and not a flash in the pan like Jordan Binnington. He was great in the playoffs, but has played less than 120 NHL games in 7 years.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

Well I certainly see the argument for those two. Hell they have a better shot than Vegas.

I also like how you don't even mention Carolina, who might have thr best shot of everyone at this point.

The Avs are right around the ~5th best team at the moment I would say. Canes, Devils, Leafs, Vegas are ahead of them. Could make pretty good arguments for Dallas and NYR as well.

If Johansen finds the fountain of youth, they could probably move up to being a Top contender with NJD and Carolina. On the flip side if he looks as bad or worse as he did with Nashville, we're probably closer to 10th in terms of contenders.

NateTheGreat

Mar 19, 2012
Winnipeg
You’re kind of proving my point. That’s 3 teams and 1 maybe, that you mentioned. So Avs would still be top 5. All I’m saying is that there really isn’t an argument for anyone saying that Colorado isn’t a true contender or top 5 contender.

I know odds aren’t the gospel because anything can happen, but I can assure you that the oddsmakers don’t base them off a whim or on what people on message boards think of the teams.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I just personally don't think we are any worse off than the rest of the contenders. The margins are very slim. When we won, we were much clearer favourites from the get go than any team currently is IMO. I don't really think there's a single team separating themselves above the rest of the "contenders".

Devils have no goalie, and are still young and inexperienced. Hurricanes have no forward depth. Rangers need to have serious leaps from the young forwards and Panarin needs to unf*** himself. Vegas is probably in the best spot, if you believe Adin Hill is actually a good goalie and not a flash in the pan like Jordan Binnington.
What exactly do you call our forward depth then?

They have significantly more depth then us.

letsgoavs1921

Jul 26, 2006
Still don't think Vegas is all that great. Very odd playoffs, they had a pretty easy road. Fortunate breaks, don't think Adin Hill is as good as he played

We will see if I'm right.

Good team, nothing special

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
What exactly do you call our forward depth then?

They have significantly more depth then us.
I worded it completely wrong actually, pardon me. They have no game-breakers. No stars that can carry the team. Plenty of good depth players, but only two stars in Aho and Svech. And compare those two to some of the other contenders?

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I worded it completely wrong actually, pardon me. They have no game-breakers. No stars that can carry the team.

I dont even think that argument really holds weight. If Svechnikov wasn't hurt last year they probably beat Florida honestly, and then they're in the finals.

They don't have as much star power as the Avs for sure. But they're the deepest team in the league by a mile, and do still have a PPG 1C, and a couple of 70 point wingers.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Devils have no goalie. Hurricanes have no forward depth. Rangers need to have serious leaps from the young forwards and Panarin needs to unf*** himself. Vegas is probably in the best spot, if you believe Adin Hill is actually a good goalie and not a flash in the pan like Jordan Binnington.
The Devils forward core kicks the crap out of ours right now. Their defense isn’t quite as good as ours right now, but the upside there with Hughes and Nemec is up there with the best defenses. Also goaltending as a whole is overrated. Adin Hill just won a cup and Schmid, while young clearly has upside.

Also Canes have tons of forward depth? They don’t have the elite talent we do but they’re far deeper than us up front and have a high end defense.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I dont even think that argument really holds weight. If Svechnikov wasn't hurt last year they probably beat Florida honestly, and then they're in the finals.

They don't have as much star power as the Avs for sure. But they're the deepest team in the league by a mile, and do still have a PPG 1C, and a couple of 70 point wingers.
I guess. They are definitely the favourites in the East in my mind. They have been a top team there for many years. And who knows, maybe they do break through next season. But I still think they could use another top player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad