Rumor: 2023-2024 Trade Rumors and Free Agency: Off-season is in full swing

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
CMac continues to fail. Roster is not nearly deep enough, especially if Drouin and RyJo don't work out.

I don't understand how CMac can sit there and think his forward roster is deep enough. It's really not close and is missing 2 legitimate bottom 6ers and possibly a top 6er depending on your thoughts on Drouin.

What were your expectations going this offseason? I have a hard time seeing what more can CMac do with the limited cap he has. Which center could've we got instead of Johansen? Which top 6 player could've we signed instead of Drouin? How do we fit everyone? Please share us what were you hoping for.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
If MacFarland is as "cap guru" as they say he is, he'll punt MacDermid to the AHL and keep Hunt as the F/D healthy scratch to save money.

Punt Ben useless ass Meyers to the AHL, too. I think Ondrej Pavel starts the season as the 4C and Sam Malinski starts as the 3RD.

Leaves a tiny bit of room for a 3RW and I 100% believe the Avs will sign Tomas Tatar. They always get their guy one way or another. I think come training camp we'll be seeing:

Drouin - MacKinnon - Rantanen
Tatar - Johansen - Nichushkin
Wood - Colton - Lehkonen
Cogliano - Pavel - O'Connor

Toews - Makar
Byram - Manson
Girard - Malinski

Georgiev
Francouz

Hunt

Reactions: niwotsblessing

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008

Another decent bottom 6 guy off the board. Generally starting to feel, outside of Meyers, that the Avs are done.

He was one of the guys I hoped Colorado would add.

Third line RW is the biggest need, but Cogliano/Nosek/O'Connor would've been a killer 4th line.

With that said, I'm still expecting the Avs to add at least (1) forward. Meyers is still waivers exempt, and I don't think they're married to Olofsson after only giving him a two-way deal (i.e. Blidh, Sedlak, etc.).

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
These posts get more embarrassing everytime you make them Chet. Lol
I've watched 3 reasonable 3rd/4th liners go for super cheap 1 year deals in the last week, when it's an area of concern for the Avs. Super frustrating.

CMac is out to lunch if he thinks his 3rd and 4th lines are good to go.

I don't want hear complaining out of anyone on these boards when it's November and Drouin is struggling, and RyJo isn't quite up to snuff and our bottom 6 produces very little. It's all to predictable at this point.

GeoRox89

Tricky Trees
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom
I've watched 3 reasonable 3rd/4th liners go for super cheap 1 year deals in the last week, when it's an area of concern for the Avs. Super frustrating.

I don't want hear complaining out of anyone on these boards when it's November and Drouin is struggling, and RyJo isn't quite up to snuff and our bottom 6 produces very little. It's all to predictable at this point.
Might as well just ask people not to breathe at that point

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Nosek would've been fine as a 4th line defensive PK guy but that's not who I wish to spend cap space on right now. Get someone who can produce on the third line.

Plus, they can just spend a 2nd rd pick on a Nosek type player, like Eller.

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
Nosek would've been fine as a 4th line defensive PK guy but that's not who I wish to spend cap space on right now. Get someone who can produce on the third line.

Plus, they can just spend a 2nd rd pick on a Nosek type player, like Eller.
Would’ve liked Nosek, but I agree with this mindset. We can easily acquire 4th liners during the season and at the deadline. But getting a top 9 player at this point (likely while not having to give up assets) is more of a priority.

It still remains to be seen whether that happens though.

Reactions: Avs_19

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

That doesn't work unfortunately. I said this months ago and we see how that turned out.

I don't want to hear anyone complaining about not signing Travis Nosek in the off season.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015

It's definitely an incomplete forward group. More should be done, but we will see if anything else happens.

Drouin in the top six on a contender is just not good enough.

RyJo as the #2C is questionable.

Missing a 3rd liner and #4C as well.

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
Drouin is this year's reclamation project. If he doesn't work out, we just need to fill that spot at the trade deadline. A top 6 winger will be a lot more easy to find than a 2C.

And if RyJo doesn't work out then yeah, we're probably screwed. At that point we'd have to rely on Colton to take over that role. It would basically be Compher all over again.

3C is locked down with Colton. If RyJo fails and Colton does have to take over 2C then RyJo will be there and that'll still be fine, but obviously our 2C would again probably suck... Unless Colton is better than anyone has realized.

4th line C can be filled easily. Even Meyers would be fine there.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I mean we could focus on Drouin and RyJo possibly not working out, Colton not being a perfect 200 foot player, Bo and Cale being concussion prone, Girard being at risk of breaking his sternum on every hit, Manson having another year of high ankle sprains, Malinski not panning out, Georgie getting lit up because he's only proven himself as a starter for one year, Gabe never coming back, Mikko reverting back to bambi legs, Lehky missing the season with 1st degree burns from a Sauna mishap, Nuke going AWOL on the SoCal road trip to watch the donkey show in Tijuana, or MacKinnon getting suspended for life because he beat Bednar with a stick after he had a carb deficient hallucination that he told him to do his job again.

......or we could just look at the roster and see that it's WAY improved from the roster they started the season with last year, they can still make more moves during the season, they could possibly add Gabe for the playoffs, and then just enjoy the rest of our summer.

GoNordiquesGo

Oct 1, 2016
Montreal, Quebec
I don't understand the sense of urgency that some have to push all your chips in the middle right now...
- There is uncertainty with Drouin and RyJo, therefore you have to add a player NOW
- There is uncertainty about the depth players therefore you have to add a player NOW
- Trade G NOW to get cap room to add these players

How about lets see how they do, lets see who gets injured or not, lets see how the prospects fare, lets see what's available on the waiver wire, and THEN lets play our chips in the manner that makes the most sense for the playoffs.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I mean we could focus on Drouin and RyJo possibly not working out, Colton not being a perfect 200 foot player, Bo and Cale being concussion prone, Girard being at risk of breaking his sternum on every hit, Manson having another year of high ankle sprains, Malinski not panning out, Georgie getting lit up because he's only proven himself as a starter for one year, Gabe never coming back, Mikko reverting back to bambi legs, Lehky missing the season with 1st degree burns from a Sauna mishap, Nuke going AWOL on the SoCal road trip to watch the donkey show in Tijuana, or MacKinnon getting suspended for life because he beat Bednar with a stick after he had a carb deficient hallucination that he told him to do his job again.

......or we could just look at the roster and see that it's WAY improved from the roster they started the season with last year, they can still make more moves during the season, they could possibly add Gabe for the playoffs, and then just enjoy the rest of our summer.
F*** you and the optimism how bout dat???

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
The Avs didn't have much room to work with. They have been creative in the way they have attacked the issues, and while not perfect, you can't say they didn't try. Now I agree the season is on the shoulders of RyJo. If he doesn't perform well... the Avs are pretty F'd. Yeah you can move Colton up, but 3C is a mess then.. That is certainly a huge risk, but at least RyJo has shown the ability recently. If it doesn't work, you could sign 10 Noseks and still have it blow up in your face.

RyJo and Colton have to be a significant step up compared to Compher and Newhook for the Avs to have a shot at the Cup. Not the same, not a little bit better... but a significant step up. On the bright side, they are completely capable of it.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I agree the season is on the shoulders of RyJo. If he doesn't perform well... the Avs are pretty F'd.
First and foremost the team will have to stay healthy. Like the number of games missed must stay below league average, something we aren't used to.

...and that's especially true for RyJo and Drouin. Both players missed tons of games in recent years. I'm more afraid of health than underperforming.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
The Avs didn't have much room to work with. They have been creative in the way they have attacked the issues, and while not perfect, you can't say they didn't try. Now I agree the season is on the shoulders of RyJo. If he doesn't perform well... the Avs are pretty F'd. Yeah you can move Colton up, but 3C is a mess then.. That is certainly a huge risk, but at least RyJo has shown the ability recently. If it doesn't work, you could sign 10 Noseks and still have it blow up in your face.

RyJo and Colton have to be a significant step up compared to Compher and Newhook for the Avs to have a shot at the Cup. Not the same, not a little bit better... but a significant step up. On the bright side, they are completely capable of it.
source.gif

Avaholic29

Feb 5, 2014

And when they do produce what are you going to say? The bottom 6 is already way better lol and the off-season is far from over, in season moves are also a guarantee at some point. Adding who they did without spending anything more than Newhook is pretty damn impressive. Not many teams have to deal with losing their captain and that much turnover and come out with a refined third line and new 2C without spending a bunch of assets . Nosek and boqvist aren’t make or break players for this team… does anyone ever think that maybe these players prefer to play out east too? It’s not like GMs just make a call and it’s done, the FREE agents have a say too lol

Reactions: niwotsblessing

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
First and foremost the team will have to stay healthy. Like the number of games missed must stay below league average, something we aren't used to.

...and that's especially true for RyJo and Drouin. Both players missed tons of games in recent years. I'm more afraid of health than underperforming.
Avs are typically in the top half and were in 21-22 as well... if you're expecting them to be healthy, you're going to be disappointed. Health at the end of the season will certainly be important positionally.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
There's a big logjam in Montreal and they have been trying real hard to unload 1 or 2 of Armia, Dvorak and Hoffman.

If we could get Armia at 50% for nothing I'd be all over that. That's a guy with high upside that we could get at an all time low. He's been playing on the 4th line on a rebuilding team and clearly doesn't care to play on a rebuilding team, but he's a playoff beast and if he cares to play here he'd be an absolute steal.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
There's a big logjam in Montreal and they have been trying real hard to unload 1 or 2 of Armia, Dvorak and Hoffman.

If we could get Armia at 50% for nothing I'd be all over that. That's a guy with high upside that we could get at an all time low. He's been playing on the 4th line on a rebuilding team and clearly doesn't care to play on a rebuilding team, but he's a playoff beast and if he cares to play here he'd be an absolute steal.
10 G and 15 pts in 44 gms is a playoff beast?

2 seasons left @3.4M$, even at 50% for free I'm not interested. I think he's in negative value territory.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Don't see how we have cap space for him.
They have $2.8M in space today with 11F, 7D 2G on the roster.

Tatar will end up signing for $2M. Avs will have the space to get him if they want.

What they should really do is sign Tatar for 1x$2M... Put him in the Top 6 and inflate his stats a bunch. Then, sell him to a bubble playoff team like Ottawa or Buffalo at the trade deadline for draft pick capital, turn around and use that draft pick capital + our own assets to get Konecny @2.75M from Philly for the next 2 playoff runs.

Reactions: cccoltsicehockey
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad