Utah Yeti and if Avs never changed shoulder patch

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

senseimike

Dec 6, 2015
Hey guys,
If Utah HC goes with Yeti as their name and say the Avs continued with the big foot shoulder patch, do you think the NHL would have made the Avs change their shoulder patch to avoid brand confusion?

madman

Deadmarsh Deli Dills
Jun 6, 2009
Steamboat Springs
The Avs seemed to surrender their minimal yeti/bigfoot-adjacent branding a few years back. Obviously ditching Howler happened long ago (sadly!) and the pivot to the "Cubs puck" shoulder crest for whatever reason a few years ago seemed like a good idea to someone in the organization. Even before then, it had been awhile since the team had even acknowledged the foot as a secondary logo - it was rarely incorporated into any other marketing. To my knowledge it was never used on alternate jerseys and didn't get featured on team merch - also, it didn't get any play in promos, advertising, etc.

It's too bad because Howler was a great mascot and I always liked the foot, even if it was never used anywhere besides the shoulder crest. That being said, I'll admit I was a 90s kid so those ties are a little more nostalgic to me than probably most recent fans. The team has made some really vanilla branding moves in the last years in my opinion (anything forcing the Colorado flag/"C" is so played out at this point) but if it sells, I guess it doesn't matter. Of course they could've also made it easier for people in a rapidly growing city/state to actually watch the team on TV, but... :deadhorse

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
IMG_4085.gif

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Hey guys,
If Utah HC goes with Yeti as their name and say the Avs continued with the big foot shoulder patch, do you think the NHL would have made the Avs change their shoulder patch to avoid brand confusion?
No, they probably wouldn't have. But really I don't see a scenario where the Avs kept the secondary logo, it was pretty dated by the time they got rid of it.

IMO the ones to really blame are the guys in Vegas. The team name in Utah almost assuredly would've been "Golden Eagles" if the stupid expansion team in Sin City didn't insist on a moniker that made absolutely no sense.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
The Avs seemed to surrender their minimal yeti/bigfoot-adjacent branding a few years back. Obviously ditching Howler happened long ago (sadly!) and the pivot to the "Cubs puck" shoulder crest for whatever reason a few years ago seemed like a good idea to someone in the organization. Even before then, it had been awhile since the team had even acknowledged the foot as a secondary logo - it was rarely incorporated into any other marketing. To my knowledge it was never used on alternate jerseys and didn't get featured on team merch - also, it didn't get any play in promos, advertising, etc.

It's too bad because Howler was a great mascot and I always liked the foot, even if it was never used anywhere besides the shoulder crest. That being said, I'll admit I was a 90s kid so those ties are a little more nostalgic to me than probably most recent fans. The team has made some really vanilla branding moves in the last years in my opinion (anything forcing the Colorado flag/"C" is so played out at this point) but if it sells, I guess it doesn't matter. Of course they could've also made it easier for people in a rapidly growing city/state to actually watch the team on TV, but... :deadhorse
I've made a couple of really decent third jersey's using it as the crest.

But seriously, I think the only thing the Avs really did with it was a few ballcaps. I've still got a couple of burgundy hats with the foot logo on it. Love both of them, but they are showing their damn age and I doubt I'll ever be able to find replacements now.

Reactions: madman

madman

Deadmarsh Deli Dills
Jun 6, 2009
Steamboat Springs
I've made a couple of really decent third jersey's using it as the crest.

But seriously, I think the only thing the Avs really did with it was a few ballcaps. I've still got a couple of burgundy hats with the foot logo on it. Love both of them, but they are showing their damn age and I doubt I'll ever be able to find replacements now.
Yeah, 10-ish years ago I was in Denver when the arena was doing their offseason clearance sale and grabbed a foot logo hoodie for $10. I still wear it but it's pretty well used at this point.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Yeah, 10-ish years ago I was in Denver when the arena was doing their offseason clearance sale and grabbed a foot logo hoodie for $10. I still wear it but it's pretty well used at this point.
Have you opened your last jar of Adam's pickles yet?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad