NHL 2023-2024 Out of Town: Stanley Cup Playoffs II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Alexandria, KY

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Great team, well built. Hope they win the cup playing old school hockey.

The way it's supposed to be.
Yup, the way that some here have said is dead and gone. Tough hockey played by talented, dedicated men. The blueprint for teams in the next few years until someone does it better.

Interesting. Right when the HF outage is scheduled to happen. :laugh:

Greedy bastids shutting down a source for free information. You wanna know? PAY UP!

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Alexandria, KY
Yup, the way that some here have said is dead and gone. Tough hockey played by talented, dedicated men. The blueprint for teams in the next few years until someone does it better.

Greedy bastids shutting down a source for free information. You wanna know? PAY UP!
That's why the Boston board is the best. You really don't need any sports news source for any of the major sports if you read here. Someone always ends up posting whatever tweet almost instantly lol.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border

Sounds like a name change should be in place (not so friendly)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Bruinswillwin77

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
What the f***?

What’s the angle here?

To what benefit is it to the Capitals (other potentially a domain name?) to have this property and shut it down to the public?

There's a wealth of data built into the site. They could've hired a team to build something like it or they could buy what's already there and pay a team to maintain it.

It sucks to be losing CF, but I'm sure someone will come along and build something similar for the public.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Forsling is so damn good, makes it look easy too

Hi Dom, I recall you mentioning this either in print or in one of your pod appearances, any word on why it was announced prior to the Cup being decided?
Forsling is Duncan Keith light, which is a real good dman.

Reactions: BruinDust

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
There's a wealth of data built into the site. They could've hired a team to build something like it or they could buy what's already there and pay a team to maintain it.

It sucks to be losing CF, but I'm sure someone will come along and build something similar for the public.
Everybody keeps saying this. But what does it mean?

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Everybody keeps saying this. But what does it mean?

I'm not sure what you mean. Capitals see CF as a tool that can help them become better in their front office. They're going to purchase it for the data that CF has built over the years and shut it down to the public.

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus

Yeah there are enough analytical geeks out there in the hockey world that someone will almost certainly fill the gap. But like most such things it will probably be a blend of free and paywalled/premium content. Which of course CapFriendly is also, but it has been pretty great in terms of just how much of that site's data and tools were free. Whatever replaces it may not be so generous.

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I don’t get why so many people around here are ignorant to how good Bobrovsky is. Sure, his career has had inconsistencies. But he has shown time and time again the ability to be a top goalie in the game.

“Just shoot high”

Yeah, I’m sure it’s that simple.

To me Bobrovsky's best is as good as anybody's. His issue over his career as you said has been consistency, and he can be an easy target when he's struggling because he's never been the most technically sound or conventional goalie - he's more a Thomas than a Rask, you could say. Crazy good athleticism takes him a long way. But regardless, when he's on, he's ON.

The 'shoot high' thing is of course over-simplistic, but it is at heart accurate. The NHL website posted this graphic before the finals started of where Bob's been beaten in the playoffs so far:

1717978028571.png

Going low on the guy, especially five-hole or glove side, just doesn't work. You either need to take advantage of his tendency to be aggressive and play out of his crease to deke around him, preferably blocker side, or you need to elevate the puck.

Of course this has been true of most of the really good goalies over the years, especially in the postseason. But the data verifies that it's especially the case with Bob this year. So while going high is not as easy as it sounds, I do think the Oilers have to put more effort into finding opportunities to get elevated shots on net. In most of the first game, that just didn't happen.

They also need two other things that were in short supply in G1 - more screens, and more potential tip-ins or subsequent greasy rebounds. Edmonton are very skilled but as the Rangers can attest that's not enough to beat Florida. They need to be more prepared to get bodies and pucks on net from all over the place. Bob was too comfortable yesterday. They need to make his crease a more difficult place to operate.

Mr. Make-Believe

I'm not sure what you mean. Capitals see CF as a tool that can help them become better in their front office. They're going to purchase it for the data that CF has built over the years and shut it down to the public.
Yeah but what data. What does it have that they didn’t have access to previously? What is it doing that is so proprietary?

How do they use this to make any money?

I’m not saying that this doesn’t exist. Obviously there’s something there. But the uh “it’s a no brainer why they would want to invest in THIS” statement… Well not to me it isn’t. What is it they’re actually investing in?

Reactions: Gordoff

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
I would imagine that every team in the League has (or will grab) that historical data.

Interesting question is will sources provide CapFriendly (now Ted Leonis) new data and details on a timely basis moving forward?

Not sure I see how Washington is going to get a competitive advantage out of this. Are all NHL GM’s actually using GM mode as part of their daily job?

Wonder what Dom’s take on this is.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Yeah but what data. What does it have that they didn’t have access to previously? What is it doing that is so proprietary?

How do they use this to make any money?

I’m not saying that this doesn’t exist. Obviously there’s something there. But the uh “it’s a no brainer why they would want to invest in THIS” statement… Well not to me it isn’t. What is it they’re actually investing in?

They don't care about making money on it. It's a database of current & former contracts. It's also a database of trades going back to 2004. Is this info that WSH already had access to? I'd imagine so. They may even have something now that's similar, but they feel CF in functionally better. They'll like add even more info to it that isn't accessible to the public and make it even better.

The foundation is already there and now WSH will build in it to suit their needs.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I would imagine that every team in the League has (or will grab) that historical data.

Interesting question is will sources provide CapFriendly (now Ted Leonis) new data and details on a timely basis moving forward?

Not sure I see how Washington is going to get a competitive advantage out of this. Are all NHL GM’s actually using GM mode as part of their daily job?

I don't see why they wouldn't if that's what Leonis wanted. Leonis can still employ the entire CF team, keep all current agreements with source providers and essentially have CF as it runs....he just takes down the site from being accessible to the public.

Mr. Make-Believe

They don't care about making money on it. It's a database of current & former contracts. It's also a database of trades going back to 2004. Is this info that WSH already had access to? I'd imagine so. They may even have something now that's similar, but they feel CF in functionally better. They'll like add even more info to it that isn't accessible to the public and make it even better.

The foundation is already there and now WSH will build in it to suit their needs.
You can just say you don’t know, you know. It’s okay.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey

I'm not concerned about it because Puckpedia is already out there. Puckpedia is/was always quicker than CF to get contract details public and is even more accurate and updates quicker than CF.

People just don't seem to like Puckpedia because it's more difficult to navigate through. But that's because there is plenty more info than CF.

Self plug here: and if it's just the Bruins cap info you are looking for dom(dot)hockey is updated everyday at 5 pm (close of NHL business day). And I find it easier to read than both CF and PP because I designed it that way.

Last edited:

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I don’t get why so many people around here are ignorant to how good Bobrovsky is. Sure, his career has had inconsistencies. But he has shown time and time again the ability to be a top goalie in the game.

“Just shoot high”

Yeah, I’m sure it’s that simple.

Ya he is underrated by pretty much the whole hockey community. He’s probably a future hall of famer. If he wins this year he cements it if he hasn’t already.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
To me Bobrovsky's best is as good as anybody's. His issue over his career as you said has been consistency, and he can be an easy target when he's struggling because he's never been the most technically sound or conventional goalie - he's more a Thomas than a Rask, you could say. Crazy good athleticism takes him a long way. But regardless, when he's on, he's ON.

The 'shoot high' thing is of course over-simplistic, but it is at heart accurate. The NHL website posted this graphic before the finals started of where Bob's been beaten in the playoffs so far:

View attachment 881037

Going low on the guy, especially five-hole or glove side, just doesn't work. You either need to take advantage of his tendency to be aggressive and play out of his crease to deke around him, preferably blocker side, or you need to elevate the puck.

Of course this has been true of most of the really good goalies over the years, especially in the postseason. But the data verifies that it's especially the case with Bob this year. So while going high is not as easy as it sounds, I do think the Oilers have to put more effort into finding opportunities to get elevated shots on net. In most of the first game, that just didn't happen.

They also need two other things that were in short supply in G1 - more screens, and more potential tip-ins or subsequent greasy rebounds. Edmonton are very skilled but as the Rangers can attest that's not enough to beat Florida. They need to be more prepared to get bodies and pucks on net from all over the place. Bob was too comfortable yesterday. They need to make his crease a more difficult place to operate.

Fantastic post!

Reactions: Aussie Bruin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad