NHL 2023-2024 Out of Town: Regular Season Part 1

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
I had that happen to me one year when I danced. 2 sets of tap shoes in a span of 6 months. Our leotards were pricey too and you crossed your fingers that you could make a whole year+ before having to buy a new one. Don't get me started on costumes.
Sorry Ali...... as I read your post, with your avatar in my peripheral vision, I got lost. For a moment all I could envision was Linus Ulmark with his shades and stache charging around the stage as machine gun staccato tap dancing rings through the hall. The man taps so manically those babies smoke at the end of the show. All the while sporting a black and gold leotard no less.:laugh:

Think I might be having a flashback to reading @NeelyDan 's gummy infused posts last night. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
I have two kids playing club hockey. We’re easily over $10k per year and that’s without counting gas/meals/equipment. I get a bit of a break coaching the older one but not much.

Then factor in all the time. My son aged out last year and despite the cost - I miss it a lot.

I have way too much free time now,

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Then factor in all the time. My son aged out last year and despite the cost - I miss it a lot.

I have way too much free time now,
Wouldn’t trade it for the world - so much windshield time with them.

I’m also not counting all the off-season stuff - camps/skills clinics/etc. and my kids are not going to be collegiate athletes or anything.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Sorry Ali...... as I read your post, with your avatar in my peripheral vision, I got lost. For a moment all I could envision was Linus Ulmark with his shades and stache charging around the stage as machine gun staccato tap dancing rings through the hall. The man taps so manically those babies smoke at the end of the show. All the while sporting a black and gold leotard no less.:laugh:

Think I might be having a flashback to reading @NeelyDan 's gummy infused posts last night. :laugh::laugh::laugh:
I laughed so hard I started to cough. The funny thing is that Linus may just be game to tap dance in a black and gold leotard hahaha

Reactions: Number8

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
Tedy Balkind was a high school hockey player from Connecticut who died in January of 22 from a skate cutting his throat. How quickly we forget. Nothing happened after that for some reason..

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Tedy Balkind was a high school hockey player from Connecticut who died in January of 22 from a skate cutting his throat. How quickly we forget. Nothing happened after that for some reason..
Do you mean in regard to mandating neck guards?

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Having watched hockey for almost a half century now there are two things that come to mind regarding this incident. 1) Sometimes freak things happen and 2) Sometimes players lose their cool and do violent/reckless things that end up worse than intended.

I appreciate your analysis, but I'm still not convinced it was a complete accident. From watching the video, I think it's very possible that Petgrave was trying to pull some kind of stunt to slow Johnson down, but things went sideways and his skate got up high.

Petgrave has a history of being a puke on the ice. Suspended in both the AHL and ECHL. Led the EIHL by quite a margin in PIM, including getting kicked out of games. Do those things mean he intentionally tried to kill a guy? Definitely not. However, there is a history of a certain amount of anger and carelessness.

No part of me thinks Petgrave wanted to kill Johnson. My feeling on the matter is that Petgrave did something incredibly reckless and dangerous, and it ended up being much worse than he intended.

I'm aware of Petgrave’s history. I’m not going to pretend he’s been some sort of angel on the ice. Clearly he’s played pretty loose over the journey and has been something of a hothead. But there’s a long way from that to high-kicking or kneeing a guy which so obviously has either an intent to cause harm or at least a sheer disregard for the likelihood of doing so. Does Petgrave have any history of kicking, kneeing or stomping in the past? Any malicious head shots, boardings, blindside high hits etc.? I’d want evidence on that before I make any sort of conclusions as to likely motive/intent in this particular case.

If it were to be argued that Petgrave decided at the last moment to try and trip Johnson, and simply got it horribly wrong, I could at least consider the possibility. Anything more than that, be it deliberate or reckless, and we’re talking about probably the worst act in the history of hockey. And that’s a big call, especially given the outcome. On the available evidence, I just don’t think it’s either clear or likely that the act was malicious or excessively reckless. If more facts come to light then of course you would have to reassess accordingly. But at present that’s how I see it. I appreciate some folks disagree, and that’s fine, but all I’d say is that people should be slow to judge and accuse. It’s one thing to say it looks suspicious, quite another to start making firm claims about the player’s supposed ill intentions based purely on a few seconds of grainy footage. To me, that’s not right.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
So many people to feel real empathy for here. Horrible situation. Including the young kids and parents who just went to a hockey game and witnessed a tragic and very graphic nightmare.

Several years ago I took my then young son to the Indy500. Had an absolutely fantastic time but then near end of race we witnessed just a hellacious crash. Car just disintegrated. I was certain no one could have possibly survived it. My son said “Dad, is he dead?” and was understandably really upset. As was i. All i could say was “I don’t know buddy. Let’s hope he‘s okay. Let’s just hope”

Fortunately later that night we found out he’d “only” broken an ankle and both wrists if i remember correctly. How, i will never know. Regardless, instead of talking about death we talked about the genius of professional motor racing engineers and the titanium pods they build around drivers.

I’m glad he wasn’t saddled with someone dying right in front of him.

Reactions: KWbruin

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I'm honestly surprised it wasn't mandated at the youth level even before that incident.
A teammate of my nephews (13 y.o.) took the blade of a stick across his throat last night and, while not tremendously serious, it was a very nasty looking injury.

I was also surprised to hear they aren’t mandatory, at least not in MA.

• Wow
Reactions: Mione134

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Mike Sullivan has to be running out of time there
Mario KNEW it was time to bail and found 2 suckers willing to buy

Screenshot 2023-10-31 013741.png

If you have ESPN+, just click on a Pens broadcast replay - It is now a clone of NESN (graphics and music)

Pittsburgh is a fragile hockey market as historically fans vanish if the team is bad.

I was surprised Kyle Dubas took the job there. :popcorn:

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Here is some tweets from the person who was with Adam Johnson the entire time. People need to stop with the other crap being spewed.

They don't need to stop with having a different opinion of what happened. One player's interpretation doesn't change anything.

Reactions: Sevendust

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
They don't need to stop with having a different opinion of what happened. One player's interpretation doesn't change anything.
People making racist, threatening comments and tagging the police, hockey club and players calling for the other player to be charged with murder and harmed must stop.

I'll take the word of a witness over watching some grainy, edited video that is spreading like wildfire by bots.

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
People making racist, threatening comments and tagging the police, hockey club and players calling for the other player to be charged with murder and harmed must stop.

I'll take the word of a witness over watching some grainy, edited video that is spreading like wildfire by bots.
Obviously the racist remarks are over the top but the police wouldn't be doing their job if they didn't investigate this. I have no issue with anyone who has watched or played hockey for a considerable amount of time concluding that what happened was more than just some freak accident. That doesn't mean you think he meant to kill a guy but I absolutely think it was reckless behavior that showed no regard for an opponent on the ice. There's a reason we have never seen a karate kick to the throat like this incident before. The footage isn't even grainy. This isn't film from the 1940s. People have differing opinions of what they saw and that's totally fine. Westin Michaud doesn't get to play final arbiter.

Reactions: Budddy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad