NHL 2023-2024 Out of Town: Regular Season Part 1

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Rochester in the AHL is starting to use neck guards and guys on Providence did last night.

I won't be surprised if the AHL mandates them and the NHL begins conversations about this.

Reactions: missingchicklet

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
Rochester in the AHL is starting to use neck guards and guys on Providence did last night.

I won't be surprised if the AHL mandates them and the NHL begins conversations about this.

It needs to be done in the lower levels, High School etc...USA hockey needs to step up.

I know most kids I coached hated them, because they were uncomfortable and restrictive. In this day and age I can't imagine something can't be done to correct that, if it hasn't already.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
It needs to be done in the lower levels, High School etc...USA hockey needs to step up.

I know most kids I coached hated them, because they were uncomfortable and restrictive. In this day and age I can't imagine something can't be done to correct that, if it hasn't already.
I think there will be a huge push for them and I agree that there should be a way to help with the restrictive feel many players talk about. We've seen far too many skate injuries over the last few seasons as it is and this tragic incident needs to be the push for change to happen.

NHL should just mandate them ,the place I worked we had to wear kevlor wristbands.
Union has to agree and you are going to get a ton of push back from players. I hope they do mandate them just like they finally did with visors.

Reactions: missingchicklet

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
I think there will be a huge push for them and I agree that there should be a way to help with the restrictive feel many players talk about. We've seen far too many skate injuries over the last few seasons as it is and this tragic incident needs to be the push for change to happen.

Union has to agree and you are going to get a ton of push back from players. I hope they do mandate them just like they finally did with visors.
Not sure why they’re would be a big push back ,with the visors it was the whole they get fogged up impeded visitation,isn’t heavy to me it’s a safety issue and employees should be able to enforce them.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Not sure why they’re would be a big push back ,with the visors it was the whole they get fogged up impeded visitation,isn’t heavy to me it’s a safety issue and employees should be able to enforce them.
In a non union world an employer can mandate these kinds of things but the NHL is a union and you are going to have to battle with guys who feel like they are invincible or that don't want to out of vanity.

I want them mandated too but I don't see it happening this season.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
In a non union world an employer can mandate these kinds of things but the NHL is a union and you are going to have to battle with guys who feel like they are invincible or that don't want to out of vanity.

I want them mandated too but I don't see it happening this season.
Company I worked for was unionized we never had a choice the wrist guard was mandatory it was a safety issue,actually another thing the players should be wearing for the wrist also.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Having watched hockey for almost a half century now there are two things that come to mind regarding this incident. 1) Sometimes freak things happen and 2) Sometimes players lose their cool and do violent/reckless things that end up worse than intended.

I appreciate your analysis, but I'm still not convinced it was a complete accident. From watching the video, I think it's very possible that Petgrave was trying to pull some kind of stunt to slow Johnson down, but things went sideways and his skate got up high.

Petgrave has a history of being a puke on the ice. Suspended in both the AHL and ECHL. Led the EIHL by quite a margin in PIM, including getting kicked out of games. Do those things mean he intentionally tried to kill a guy? Definitely not. However, there is a history of a certain amount of anger and carelessness.

No part of me thinks Petgrave wanted to kill Johnson. My feeling on the matter is that Petgrave did something incredibly reckless and dangerous, and it ended up being much worse than he intended.
This is pretty much where I'm at.

Reactions: KillerMillerTime

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
I will reiterate that I have no idea what the intent was but it was undeniably reckless, unnatural and a completely unnecessary way to approach any collision on the ice.

Seeing the "freak accident" label is completely disingenuous. This was not a freak accident. The opposing player at the very least acted like a complete moron with no regard for the safety of a fellow player.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Lot's of discussion about whether this was reckless or not. I have no idea because I've not seen video and it's difficult to envision a scenario where I'll let myself do that. I just feel for everyone -- most of all Johnson's family. Everyone on the ice and in the stands is going to have a hard time shaking that sight for a long long time I'd imagine.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Lot's of discussion about whether this was reckless or not. I have no idea because I've not seen video and it's difficult to envision a scenario where I'll let myself do that. I just feel for everyone -- most of all Johnson's family. Everyone on the ice and in the stands is going to have a hard time shaking that sight for a long long time I'd imagine.
I keep thinking especially about his teammate that helped him skate off. Talk about a living nightmare.

Reactions: Number8

Chevalier du Clavier

Écrivain de ferrage
Jul 20, 2005
Company I worked for was unionized we never had a choice the wrist guard was mandatory it was a safety issue,actually another thing the players should be wearing for the wrist also.
That's because some combination of your union made it mandatory for your safety or the company doesn't want the liability. Canadian businesses also must contend with CCOHS, while the US has OSHA. The NHL is a different animal. The NHL cannot mandate the use of cut-resistant products, although they strongly advise players to use them.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

same here. Depending on dept there was mandatory PPE.

I have read on line players dont like them because they are a separate piece of clothing. There was a suggestion that some company should design them right into the t shirts. Keep them in place and sized correctly to the player.

Seems like a good idea to me.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
The video is very low quality anyway ,have read it’s being investigated by police now ,and I’m sure they will have a better quality video to make a judgement on.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
same here. Depending on dept there was mandatory PPE.

I have read on line players dont like them because they are a separate piece of clothing. There was a suggestion that some company should design them right into the t shirts. Keep them in place and sized correctly to the player.

Seems like a good idea to me.
TJ Oshie has a new line out with Kevlar in the neck and wrists. Great for older players but at $179 I cant buy them for my 8 and 12 year old. They grow out of things too quickly.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
January 1, 2024 they become mandatory

TJ Oshie has a new line out with Kevlar in the neck and wrists. Great for older players but at $179 I cant buy them for my 8 and 12 year old. They grow out of things too quickly.
If demand is there, which it seems like it will be, hopefully Oshie's line can become more affordable without compromising on quality.

Reactions: Kegs

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
January 1, 2024 they become mandatory

If demand is there, which it seems like it will be, hopefully Oshie's line can become more affordable without compromising on quality.

Yeah hopefully. Still won’t matter when my 12 year old has grown out of two sticks since July.

Reactions: Alicat

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Sticks that, in Canadian currency anyway, run up to 450 these days. Yikes.
Yeah we’re not buying close to that level. But the $135 adds up, along with new pants, skates and new gloves this year already since we got new stuff in July. Poor little guy is getting a lot of hand me downs.

Reactions: NeelyDan

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
Yeah we’re not buying close to that level. But the $135 adds up, along with new pants, skates and new gloves this year already since we got new stuff in July. Poor little guy is getting a lot of hand me downs.

Then comes the league fee's, tournaments, hotels. Everyone playing hockey, or that has kids playing aren't all rich.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Yeah hopefully. Still won’t matter when my 12 year old has grown out of two sticks since July.
I had that happen to me one year when I danced. 2 sets of tap shoes in a span of 6 months. Our leotards were pricey too and you crossed your fingers that you could make a whole year+ before having to buy a new one. Don't get me started on costumes.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Then comes the league fee's, tournaments, hotels. Everyone playing hockey, or that has kids playing aren't all rich.
I have two kids playing club hockey. We’re easily over $10k per year and that’s without counting gas/meals/equipment. I get a bit of a break coaching the older one but not much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad