NHL 2023-2024 Out of Town: Regular Season Part 1

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Our lives could have been so much better

1698629640569.png

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
It was intentional??

No. Just 100% no. A complete accident. The poor guy involved is reportedly absolutely distraught. I've seen the comments out there that are trying to paint this as some sort of deliberate or reckless act. They're garbage, to put it mildly. Zero tolerance for such nonsense. This was a tragic freak event, nothing more.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
can't determine intent obviously, but the play was very reckless..never seen anything like it before...

very sad..
Unnatural looking to me. I've never seen anything like it either in a hockey game. His movement makes little sense, especially given that he's a pro hockey player.

Reactions: Budddy

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Unnatural looking to me. I've never seen anything like it either in a hockey game. His movement makes little sense, especially given that he's a pro hockey player.

The player in question is an Ontario-native, 31 years old, played hockey in the AHL, ECHL, Slovakia, England and elsewhere. Very experienced and can only assume he well and truly knew how to handle himself on the ice.

This is my take on it - he goes for a check on Johnson, his momentum going right to left. But as he does so he just catches the back of the other Nottingham player (you can tell there's contact because it forced that guy to drop his stick), and his left skate clips the skate of that other guy. It momentarily catches, and then releases. That brief delay means there's now more force going through the left leg than expected, and the direction of that force and the balance of the player are disrupted and the blade of the skate begins to slide, such that the force in that leg is now being directed more outwards and upwards, rather than it continuing to push the skate into the ice. On top of that he's already shifting his body left to make the check, so all the momentum is going that way. Maybe he also tries to readjust as he loses balance but simply makes it worse. End result is the skate kicks out, unfortunately right into Johnson.

It looks weird, because it is. If it wasn't and these sorts of things happened more often then hockey would have been banned a long time ago. But sometimes the physics of a particular interaction can work out unusually, and can be compounded by someone simply being in exactly the wrong place at the wrong time. This isn't a like-for-like comparison, but remember a few years back when Backes copped a skate to the face? (posted below) You'd have thought the Yotes' player's leg had no business kicking that high as he goes down, but it did. The body can get itself into some strange positions and angles, especially at speed.

The alternative is to suggest a veteran player suddenly decided it might be a good idea to knee or kick a player in the torso skate-first, or that, if you want to call it more reckless than intentional, that his positioning was so sloppy and errant that he ended up with a skate not just at waist height but right up at the neck. Both are absurd, and the video evidence clearly suggests a far more innocent and accidental explanation. This incident is tragic enough without people (not you but there's some ridiculous comments out there) targeting and accusing the other party based on nothing. Poor guy needs all the support he can get.

Reactions: BMC and KWbruin

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
No. Just 100% no. A complete accident. The poor guy involved is reportedly absolutely distraught. I've seen the comments out there that are trying to paint this as some sort of deliberate or reckless act. They're garbage, to put it mildly. Zero tolerance for such nonsense. This was a tragic freak event, nothing more.
Sorry can't buy the complete accident angle hear or "freak accident" propaganda. We have never seen another example of a player karate kicking a player in the throat like this. So while true intent can be debated, nothing about the actual act was accidental. It was 100% reckless and unnatural.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
His foot didn’t go that way on its own

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
Some players in Providence wore neck guards yesterday.

That play just looked strange to me, never seen anything like it.

Last edited:

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

may not be intentional, but it was absolutely reckless

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
It’s a terrible quality video ,but sure looks like he made a distinctive up and out kicking motion,not just a follow through,but I’m sure a better quality video is probably available to make a real determination.

Yeah, its tough to tell if he was going for a kick or was just out of control

RiverbottomChuck

Jul 20, 2018
Washington DC
Why does modern society place so much importance on the feelings of the person who did the act instead of the feelings of the family losing a son or the actual death of the person? I don’t give a rats ass how bad the guy feels, he has a history of disregarding players safety and it finally caught up to him.

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario

I dunno - check this out - THERE IS NO BLOOD FYI:

https://x.com/endwokeness/status/1718859769962693064?s=46&t=Lgz3TtH8eZ9I7tRa0nh-aQ

Why is his leg up there? I can't see anything that caused that to happen.

sorry looks like that was already posted

Reactions: RiverbottomChuck

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston
I did not want to look at the blood video but I did look at the NeelyDan Xpost

I'm more pissed off now after seeing that.

Throw the book at that player,

Did he want to kill him? I doubt it.

Did he try to inflict damage? Dame right he did, I could care less about him being distraught I care more about Adam's family

NEVER seen anything even close to that kick, To say it was a "freak" accident is just plain bull shit.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
The player in question is an Ontario-native, 31 years old, played hockey in the AHL, ECHL, Slovakia, England and elsewhere. Very experienced and can only assume he well and truly knew how to handle himself on the ice.

This is my take on it - he goes for a check on Johnson, his momentum going right to left. But as he does so he just catches the back of the other Nottingham player (you can tell there's contact because it forced that guy to drop his stick), and his left skate clips the skate of that other guy. It momentarily catches, and then releases. That brief delay means there's now more force going through the left leg than expected, and the direction of that force and the balance of the player are disrupted and the blade of the skate begins to slide, such that the force in that leg is now being directed more outwards and upwards, rather than it continuing to push the skate into the ice. On top of that he's already shifting his body left to make the check, so all the momentum is going that way. Maybe he also tries to readjust as he loses balance but simply makes it worse. End result is the skate kicks out, unfortunately right into Johnson.

It looks weird, because it is. If it wasn't and these sorts of things happened more often then hockey would have been banned a long time ago. But sometimes the physics of a particular interaction can work out unusually, and can be compounded by someone simply being in exactly the wrong place at the wrong time. This isn't a like-for-like comparison, but remember a few years back when Backes copped a skate to the face? (posted below) You'd have thought the Yotes' player's leg had no business kicking that high as he goes down, but it did. The body can get itself into some strange positions and angles, especially at speed.

The alternative is to suggest a veteran player suddenly decided it might be a good idea to knee or kick a player in the torso skate-first, or that, if you want to call it more reckless than intentional, that his positioning was so sloppy and errant that he ended up with a skate not just at waist height but right up at the neck. Both are absurd, and the video evidence clearly suggests a far more innocent and accidental explanation. This incident is tragic enough without people (not you but there's some ridiculous comments out there) targeting and accusing the other party based on nothing. Poor guy needs all the support he can get.

Having watched hockey for almost a half century now there are two things that come to mind regarding this incident. 1) Sometimes freak things happen and 2) Sometimes players lose their cool and do violent/reckless things that end up worse than intended.

I appreciate your analysis, but I'm still not convinced it was a complete accident. From watching the video, I think it's very possible that Petgrave was trying to pull some kind of stunt to slow Johnson down, but things went sideways and his skate got up high.

Petgrave has a history of being a puke on the ice. Suspended in both the AHL and ECHL. Led the EIHL by quite a margin in PIM, including getting kicked out of games. Do those things mean he intentionally tried to kill a guy? Definitely not. However, there is a history of a certain amount of anger and carelessness.

No part of me thinks Petgrave wanted to kill Johnson. My feeling on the matter is that Petgrave did something incredibly reckless and dangerous, and it ended up being much worse than he intended.

Reactions: HooperDrivesTheBoat

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Yeah, its tough to tell if he was going for a kick or was just out of control
*I think you edited your post.

Instead of waiting to hear the facts of what happened people are looking to blame someone and accuse that person of murdering him in cold blood. People are lashing out and want revenge so bad they are threatening the other player involved and sending him death threats and hoping his life is destroyed.

I'll wait to hear from Johnson's family and investigators before I think this was anything more than a tragic accident.

People are empathetic towards the other player because he was the second player involved in what happened. The absolute vitriol being spewed towards him, his teammates, team and family are uncalled for. Wishing ill will is disgusting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad