NHL 2023-2024 Out of Town: Regular Season Part 1

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Orlov is not a good defenseman ,sure he put up numbers in Boston but he sucked in his own end of the ice since the day he arrived and only got worse in the playoffs.
Did you always feel this way? Or is it a "now that he's off the Bruins" type of thing?

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston
Did you always feel this way? Or is it a "now that he's off the Bruins" type of thing?
Honestly I loved what I though we where getting but was disappointed in his toughness and more importantly his defense.

We didn't need his new found offence we needed him to play smash mouth hockey like he was in Washington

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston
That's just not true at all. He's a very good defenseman and got a huge contract for a reason. He had a bad playoff series and has started this year poorly, but acting like he's Andy Delmore is just not true. His track record in Washington and Boston speaks for itself. He'll probably settle down and get back to his game soon. I think Brindamour probably has him in a bad situation and the Canes need to shake up lines and pairings a lot.
Great you think he's very good, I think otherwise. He was bad in his zone since the day he arrived here. He got a huge contract because his new GM is a dumbass

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Honestly I loved what I though we where getting but was disappointed in his toughness and more importantly his defense.

We didn't need his new found offence we needed him to play smash mouth hockey like he was in Washington
Fair enough. I would kind of agree with it.

My issue I think was with Monty here. Orlov came over and showed some pretty good offensive ability (more than he's shown in the past, that's for sure) and I think he saw that and kind of put him in more of a scoring role than a shut down role. I think Orlov kind of felt that pressure of having to produce offensively while still being a stud defensively and I don't think he adapted well to that at all.

He was an absolute force with the Caps in their cup run. He had 8 points in 24 games on a cup winning Capitals team and 8 points in 7 games with the Bruins last year.

I think he tried to overcomplicate his game. That may just be me, though.

Give me 30-35 point defensively sound Orlov over a 60 point pacing version of Orlov with the Bruins.

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston

My issue I think was with Monty here. Orlov came over and showed some pretty good offensive ability (more than he's shown in the past, that's for sure) and I think he saw that and kind of put him in more of a scoring role than a shut down role. I think Orlov kind of felt that pressure of having to produce offensively while still being a stud defensively and I don't think he adapted well to that at all.

He was an absolute force with the Caps in their cup run. He had 8 points in 24 games on a cup winning Capitals team and 8 points in 7 games with the Bruins last year.

Give me 30-35 point defensively sound Orlov over a 60 point pacing version of Orlov with the Bruins.
Ultimately Monty was the biggest problem in the playoffs. It will be interesting to watch him coach and make adjustments as the season goes on.

I still would have fired him after that choke job, he will never get to coach a roster like that again never mind a mediocre one that we have now.

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden

I think Orlov's defensive abilities in Washington were overrated. He was game and dirty but only fair one on one and a problem otherwise. He has also lost a step which accentuates his weaknesses.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4ORRBRUIN

Grimey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 4, 2017
Dryden, ON
It's funny how everyone sucks now because they're no longer with the Bruins.

Orlov is no good
Bertuzzi is dog shit

Meanwhile last year we were praising them quite heavily.

Maybe we were all praising them because they weren't playing like dog shit when they got here

Reactions: BMC

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA

Orlov was a weird player to watch in a Bruins uniform. He would have shifts where he would basically be playing as a forward.

He reminded me a bit of the Jagr situation back in 2013. Good player, and you could see the skill, but looked out of place and never really gelled with the rest of the team’s play.

Last edited:

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA

Orlov is no good
Bertuzzi is dog shit

I loved Bertuzzi’s game but he’s genetically prone to inevitable boneheaded plays. Sounds like that’s far outweighed the good which wasn’t the case last year IMO. I don’t know if that’s really a homer take. Toronto fans says he’s been horrible and I think, objectively, one would be pushing it to say he was anything close to “horrible” with the Bruins.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
I loved Bertuzzi’s game but he’s genetically prone to inevitable boneheaded plays. Sounds like that’s far outweighed the good which wasn’t the case last year IMO. I don’t know if that’s really a homer take. Toronto fans says he’s been horrible and I think, objectively, one would be pushing it to say he was anything close to “horrible” with the Bruins.
Tyler Bertuzzi was 5-5-10 in 7 games vs. Florida last year. Brad Marchand was also 5-5-10, and they shared the lead for Bruins scoring in the playoffs. Despite being a -4, Bertuzzi was a force in the playoffs, and NOT the reason why the Bruins lost.

Hard to believe he would be “horrible” this year. Maybe he’s waiting until the playoffs to turn it on.

Reactions: BMC

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Tyler Bertuzzi was 5-5-10 in 7 games vs. Florida last year. Brad Marchand was also 5-5-10, and they shared the lead for Bruins scoring in the playoffs. Despite being a -4, Bertuzzi was a force in the playoffs, and NOT the reason why the Bruins lost.

Hard to believe he would be “horrible” this year. Maybe he’s waiting until the playoffs to turn it on.

He “would be” horrible? Not sure about that.

What I do know is he has 1 point in 4 games so far with Toronto combined with multiple dumb penalties.

I don’t think it’s a “Bruins fan” thing to have been happy with his play last year but to say he sucks this year. It’s pretty close to a fact so far.

rfournier103

Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
He “would be” horrible? Not sure about that.

What I do know is he has 1 point in 4 games so far with Toronto combined with multiple dumb penalties.

I don’t think it’s a “Bruins fan” thing to have been happy with his play last year but to say he sucks this year. It’s pretty close to a fact so far.
Don’t misunderstand me. One point in four games and multiple dumb penalties is not good. I’m just surprised. That’s all.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018

Do you know how hard it is to have 10 points in 7 games and be a -4? Tells the story right there.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Marchand was -6

Aren’t you one to shit on the +/- stat when people use it on Grzelcyk?
Yes. And I don’t think +\- should be used to evaluate anyone.

But as an objective statistic, it’s hard to do what he did. And I’m far from saying Marchand played well in that series.

rfournier103

Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts

Orlov is no good
Bertuzzi is dog shit

I certainly hope you're not talking about me. I'd like to have both back in this lineup.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Yes. And I don’t think +\- should be used to evaluate anyone.

But as an objective statistic, it’s hard to do what he did. And I’m far from saying Marchand played well in that series.
I’m giving you a hard time.

I agree that he was a bit of a mess that series with his bone head turnovers for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad