NHL 2023-2024 Out of Town: Regular Season Part 1

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
They're cooked. And no goals for Ovi yet. Early days I know, and he'll surely start potting a few at some point. But my bet is this is where the chase for Gretzky starts to run out of steam.
Second oldest team in the NHL behind Pit. Too many pricey contracts to aging players, several of whom are prone to injury. Kuznetsov plays most nights like he doesn't give a rat's ass. And their situation likely gets worse next season. Forgot which site it is, but they predict Boston doesn't make the playoffs and the Caps pull a surprise this season and make the playoffs. Had to read it twice to make sure I read it right. Yeah, "cooked" is an accurate way to put it. They might have enough talent to avoid the cellar, but in no universe do I see them contending for a playoff spot.

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
Second oldest team in the NHL behind Pit. Too many pricey contracts to aging players, several of whom are prone to injury. Kuznetsov plays most nights like he doesn't give a rat's ass. And their situation likely gets worse next season. Forgot which site it is, but they predict Boston doesn't make the playoffs and the Caps pull a surprise this season and make the playoffs. Had to read it twice to make sure I read it right. Yeah, "cooked" is an accurate way to put it. They might have enough talent to avoid the cellar, but in no universe do I see them contending for a playoff spot.
I have serious doubts either team makes the playoffs. I am surprised KPD and the other Globe staff have us at 15 to 20 games over .500.

Reactions: missingchicklet

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
I have serious doubts either team makes the playoffs. I am surprised KPD and the other Globe staff have us at 15 to 20 games over .500.
I think the Caps don't make it even if they stay healthy. I think the Bs likely make it at least as a wildcard team, but a couple key injuries could very much put them on the outside looking in. Yeah, 15-20 games above .500 seems a bit ambitious.

Reactions: quietbruinfan

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Ottawa is pounding Washington right now (up 4-1). It's Josh Norris's first game back after missing most of last season. He already has 2 goals in the game. They are young and play fast. I think they will be much improved this year.
Caps are a bad team but that Sens team is looking really good, some really solid talent there, could be big trouble this year

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Fwiw, in our poll, I had the Bruins just missing the playoffs, I will stick with that for now.
Yeah, I had them as a WC team, with the possibility they could be top 3 if another team or two falters. WC/just missing the playoffs pretty much the same given the thin margin there frequently is between wildcard teams and the teams just below that. So much in that area of the standings is dependent on luck and injuries. And of course a trade or two could change the trajectory quite a bit as well.

Reactions: quietbruinfan

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Orlov puts up a -3.

Now he's -10 in 5 games. Incredibly bad.
League leader by a big margin.

Don't know what happened to that guy, it's like as soon as the calendar flipped to April last year he became a giant pumpkin and still hasn't pulled out of it. The guy we saw from the deadline through end of regular season was special, but he's just lost the plot.

Maybe Brindamour's system doesn't compliment his abilities, and from what I read he's playing with Tony DeAngelo so it's not like he has McAvoy or Carlo to back him up and let him take risks either. I wonder if he'll find his game or if it'll be an albatross of a contract for Carolina

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston
League leader by a big margin.

Don't know what happened to that guy, it's like as soon as the calendar flipped to April last year he became a giant pumpkin and still hasn't pulled out of it. The guy we saw from the deadline through end of regular season was special, but he's just lost the plot.

Maybe Brindamour's system doesn't compliment his abilities, and from what I read he's playing with Tony DeAngelo so it's not like he has McAvoy or Carlo to back him up and let him take risks either. I wonder if he'll find his game or if it'll be an albatross of a contract for Carolina
Orlov is not a good defenseman ,sure he put up numbers in Boston but he sucked in his own end of the ice since the day he arrived and only got worse in the playoffs.

Reactions: Mick Riddleton

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Orlov is not a good defenseman ,sure he put up numbers in Boston but he sucked in his own end of the ice since the day he arrived and only got worse in the playoffs.
That's just not true at all. He's a very good defenseman and got a huge contract for a reason. He had a bad playoff series and has started this year poorly, but acting like he's Andy Delmore is just not true. His track record in Washington and Boston speaks for itself. He'll probably settle down and get back to his game soon. I think Brindamour probably has him in a bad situation and the Canes need to shake up lines and pairings a lot.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
That's just not true at all. He's a very good defenseman and got a huge contract for a reason. He had a bad playoff series and has started this year poorly, but acting like he's Andy Delmore is just not true. His track record in Washington and Boston speaks for itself. He'll probably settle down and get back to his game soon. I think Brindamour probably has him in a bad situation and the Canes need to shake up lines and pairings a lot.
Agreed. He's part of the reason the Caps won the Cup. Dude was a pillar defensively. Then 8 pts in 7 playoff games with the Bs, despite not bringing his A game.

Sure, dude is off to a bad start in Carolina, but I doubt he dropped off the cliff that quickly. He badly wanted term on his contract but only got 2 years with the Canes. Surely he will be giving it everything he has and figure things out since he will be playing for his next contract over the next couple seasons. Even if he doesn't live up to his salary, it's only for two years, and he will at minimum be better than average over the course of a full season.

Reactions: BMC
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad