Post-Game Talk: 2023-2024 Leafs Roster/Changes/Turnovers & Replacement(s)

Status
Not open for further replies.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Yep.

I think they need to run it back ... and not have the luck to face a historically excellent goaltending performance. We remember reading at the time how excellent Bobrovsky was during that period.

I question Matthews commitment to doing everything to win, and I believe marner still has some catastrophic warts in his game, and we know Tavares is Tavares. But all 3 of them are excellent players, perhaps overpaid by a total of $6mm, which of course would provide another weapon near Nylander's tier 2 Cap Hit.

There aren't 3 players available who you can replace them with.
I think you misunderstood me. I'm saying that between Matthews/Marner/Nylander, we're in a position (timing wise) that we can lock up Matthews and Nylander and have an incredible 1C/1RW combo, which a winning team be built around without Marner over the short, mid, and maybe even long term. The same is not as safe to say about Marner+Nylander.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
I think you misunderstood me. I'm saying that between Matthews/Marner/Nylander, we're in a position (timing wise) that we can lock up Matthews and Nylander and have an incredible 1C/1RW combo, which a winning team be built around without Marner over the short, mid, and maybe even long term. The same is not as safe to say about Marner+Nylander.

Only way I move Marner is if a stud dman is returning. Otherwise I keep him and Matthews and move on from Tavares and Nylander long term

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Agree with this.

marner will likely want the same money as Matthews and likely that he'll never earn it.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
When something just isn't working ...

Just because you have 4 top scorers doesn't mean they have to be stapled together.

Try something different!

Tavares-Matthews-?
Nylander-?-marner

?-Matthews-?
Nylander-?-marner
?-Tavares-?

I mean 1 goal produced between Tavares, Matthews and marner, their Triple Double.

For me it always goes back to Keefe.
Yes if you aren’t going to trade them then please try something different. When it’s not working, it’s not working.
If it’s supposed to be about 23 guys, then change the lineup to spilt these guys and give them the type of players that address each shortcoming.

If Tavares is slow, put him with more speed.
If Marner falls back 10 feet, then give him guys that get in closer.

Give Matthews bigger bodies so he doesn’t take all the hits. Etc.

Reactions: Loimike

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Yes if you aren’t going to trade them then please try something different. When it’s not working, it’s not working.
If it’s supposed to be about 23 guys, then change the lineup to spilt these guys and give them the type of players that address each shortcoming.

If Tavares is slow, put him with more speed.
If Marner falls back 10 feet, then give him guys that get in closer.

Give Matthews bigger bodies so he doesn’t take all the hits. Etc.
Question is how much money will it take to get these players and how much does Tre have to spend on these players after he overhauls the defense? I get what you are saying if they insist on running it back, but your post screams cut bait asap to me.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Question is how much money will it take to get these players and how much does Tre have to spend on these players after he overhauls the defense? I get what you are saying if they insist on running it back, but your post screams cut bait asap to me.

I'd say for the most part they need responsible players who can skate and don't cheat.

I don't think they need to find top 6 players to complement these guys though.
marner does need someone who can shoot, could that be a healthy Robertson? (Yes Robertson is a HUGE stretch.)

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
When something just isn't working ...

Just because you have 4 top scorers doesn't mean they have to be stapled together.

Try something different!

Tavares-Matthews-?
Nylander-?-marner

?-Matthews-?
Nylander-?-marner
?-Tavares-?

I mean 1 goal produced between Tavares, Matthews and marner, their Triple Double.

For me it always goes back to Keefe.

I have been saying for years to spread the wealth and balance the line-up with 1 X$11 mil player each on their own lines.

When the Leafs set their 105 point All-time record in 2017-18 part of that success and playoff competitiveness against Boston was a balance line-up.

Then

1687702951378.png

Hyman (15) --- Matthews (34) -- Nylander (20) -------> 69 goals total (Auston missed 20 games)
Marleau (27) -- Kadri (32) ------- Marner (22) ---------> 81 goals total
JVR (36) ------- Bozak (11) ------ Brown (14) ----------> 61 goals total

Total Top 9 Goals For: 211

All 3 RWers were swapped around throughout the year to spark the offense and balance the attack ... Which line does the opposition check?

Now

1687703759975.png

Bunting (26) -- Matthews (40) --- Marner (30) --------> 96 goals total
Jarnkrik (20) -- Tavares (36) ------ Nylander (40) ------> 76 goals total
Kerfoot (10) --- Kampf (7) -------- Engvall (12) --------> 29 goal total

Total Top 9 Goals For 201

Now the opposition has only 2 lines to focus and check and why you get this in the playoffs and you shouldn't be surprised to get these results.

1687704480889.png

KaN19

Jun 25, 2023
If we're locked in with the Core-4 + Rielly, which seems to be the case, what can we realistically do apart from rearranging some deck chairs in the bottom-6/3rd D-pairing? Nobody seems to want to move Knies either, and I get it, he's a cost controlled top-6 option for the next couple years.

Talk of us getting some stud D-man or goalie is a joke. We have nothing to offer teams if we're running the core back.

Reactions: Antropovsky

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
If we're locked in with the Core-4 + Rielly, which seems to be the case, what can we realistically do apart from rearranging some deck chairs in the bottom-6/3rd D-pairing? Nobody seems to want to move Knies either, and I get it, he's a cost controlled top-6 option for the next couple years.

Talk of us getting some stud D-man or goalie is a joke. We have nothing to offer teams if we're running the core back.
Agreed, but is it realistic to want those things when we have Samsonov/Woll and Rielly, Brodie, McCabe, Gio?

The core + Rielly is still good enough to cruise into the playoffs every season. Let's hope they sign a few decent players to find chemistry/bond in the bottom 6. Knies is a lock for the top 6, so there's already most of your top 6 spoken for.

I don't think it's a bad situation, and I don't think that Matthews/Nylander contracts are as dire as many are saying. They are not going anywhere on July 1. Perhaps they agree on new deals for AM/WN in August?

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Agreed, but is it realistic to want those things when we have Samsonov/Woll and Rielly, Brodie, McCabe, Gio?

The core + Rielly is still good enough to cruise into the playoffs every season. Let's hope they sign a few decent players to find chemistry/bond in the bottom 6. Knies is a lock for the top 6, so there's already most of your top 6 spoken for.

I don't think it's a bad situation, and I don't think that Matthews/Nylander contracts are as dire as many are saying. They are not going anywhere on July 1. Perhaps they agree on new deals for AM/WN in August?

I hope Treliving is better at solving puzzles.

Their core is set, with top end talent.
Their defense is nearly complete, replacing players like Holl isn't replacing players like Rielly.

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto

#firedubas

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

In Nashville, talks between Treliving and Don Meehan, the agent for restricted free agent goalie Ilya Samsonov, are expected to pick up.

Trade potential

Since Treliving took over, there has been the notion that he wants to put his own stamp on the team, which would be natural. And by his own stamp, we mean the blue line, where the Leafs already have six D-men under contract for next season.

Here’s the rub: If Treliving keeps the core four intact, his options could be limited because of the Leafs’ salary cap restrictions.

The Leafs have $9.1-million in cap space, a sum that grows to $14.7-million if defenceman Jake Muzzin is put on long-term injured reserve. It’s not a lot of cash in the MLSE wallet, considering Treliving has to add, at least, five depth forwards. The pool grows if the Leafs rid themselves of goalie Matt Murray and his $4.6-million cap hit.

If Treliving really wants to make a bold move, and he has that history from his time in Calgary, using forward William Nylander in a trade would ensure the Leafs get value in return. No trade should involve Mitch Marner, though.

Does Treliving look to the Flames to make a deal involving Noah Hanifin? Others on the trade market could include Erik Karlsson, Brett Pesce, Tyler Myers and Alex Martinez.

Treliving will kick tires on just about everything.

July 1

As fireworks ignite across the country, will we be saying the same about what comes from Treliving’s office?

The indications are that while Auston Matthews probably won’t sign an extension on the day he is eligible, he will eventually put his signature on a new deal. Whether talks get dicier with Nylander remains to be seen, but the Leafs have little desire to have negotiations drag on through the summer.

At the same time, Treliving and assistant GM Brandon Pridham will go about trying to sign the free agents they’ve deemed worthy of becoming Leafs. Considering what Ryan O’Reilly and Michael Bunting will command on the open market, we can assume that with the Leafs’ short cap leash, neither will be re-signed.

The Leafs simply don’t have the funds to make much noise in free agency, not that the market this year is brimming with Grade A game-changers.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
I wonder with the St Louis Blues rumoured to be adding Kevin Hayes as a 2nd line centre if that might help the Leafs in their attempt to re-sign ROR?

At this point in his career I would think he would be interested in playing close to home, and a chance at the Cup.

WHY NOT US??

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
I wonder with the St Louis Blues rumoured to be adding Kevin Hayes as a 2nd line centre if that might help the Leafs in their attempt to re-sign ROR?

At this point in his career I would think he would be interested in playing close to home, and a chance at the Cup.

WHY NOT US??
You answered your own question, he wants a chance to win a cup

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
We haven't heard yet about which RFAs the Leafs will be qualifying. Other than the big one, Samsonov, there's Mete, SDA, Holmberg, Hollowell and Kral. Abruzzese also requires a qualifying offer without the RFA status.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
I am completely fixated on how much better our team would be with UFA defence additions of Soucy and Mayfield.

Rielly-Mayfield
McCabe-Liljegren
Soucy-Timmins/Schenn
Brodie

Trade Brodie for draft capital and recoup $5M in cap to pay Mayfield, while Brodie still has value and risk losing him for nothing as a UFA as well, as well as risk his play deteriorating.

Also doesn't leave us dependant on a 40 year old Gio, who really should be closer to retirement than playing 60 games for us.

Not the sexiest UFA market but we don't need sexy, we need better and I think that not only are we better with the above D-core now, but also that it will be better long-term as our young Liljegren and Timmins develop and improve.

Add to it that it didn't cost us any of our sparse picks and prospects and actually added value by trading Brodie, and I don't see any downside to this.

This is my hope we do, and then focus on improving our forward depth, starting with a Comtois addition at LW (hopefully via buy-out from Anaheim and cheap value-signing).

Last edited:

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I am completely fixated on how much better our team would be with UFA defence additions of Soucy and Mayfield.

Rielly-Mayfield
McCabe-Liljegren
Soucy-Timmins/Schenn
Brodie

Trade Brodie for draft capital and recoup $5 in cap to pay Mayfield, while Brodie has value and risk losing him for nothing as a UFA as well, as well as risk his play deteriorating.

Also doesn't leave us dependant on a 40 year old Gio, who really should be closer to retirement than playing 60 games for us.

Not the sexiest UFA market but we don't need sexy, we need better and I think that not only are we better with the above D-core now, but also that it will be better long-term as our young Liljegren and Timmins develop and improve.

Add to it that it didn't cost us any of our sparse picks and prospects and actually added value by trading Brodie, and I don't see any downside to this.

This is my hope we do, and then focus on improving our forward depth, starting with a Comtois addition at LW (hopefully via buy-out from Anaheim and cheap value-signing).

In terms of Mayfield, I do not think he leaves LI unless he gets paid. And if Ceci/Holl were any indication, it would not be very long before people start ripping him apart. He is really not that much different of a player (in terms of style) but is a worse overall player (at least than Holl).

Then the thing with Soucy is that he has mostly just been a bottom pairing guy but it is looking like he will get paid a lot more than that. Maybe a worthwhile bet for some team, but I am not desperate enough to dump Gio and give him probably 3.5-4 mill to find out. At that point, spring the extra money and get Graves... Who is a much better version of Soucy.

Finally, that defense would get hemmed in a lot. Rielly and Liljegren are the only good puck movers. Mayfield and Schenn suck at it. Soucy and McCabe are okay but the main problem with our defense (at least in the playoffs) was getting killed with speed and especially getting killed with making basic plays with the puck. We'd be going in the wrong direction here.

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018

Rielly-Mayfield
McCabe-Liljegren
Soucy-Timmins/Schenn
Brodie

Trade Brodie for draft capital and recoup $5M in cap to pay Mayfield, while Brodie still has value and risk losing him for nothing as a UFA as well, as well as risk his play deteriorating.

Mayfield will be too expensive but Soucy likely coming here .. Schenner less expensive .. Timmer will get traded i think .. Lily likely stays ,, Brodie is gone .. Gio likely retires or plays as 7th d man

Reactions: andora

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

As the entire hockey world converges on Nashville for the start of the NHL Draft on Tuesday, we can expect an offseason of changes for the Maple Leafs to begin in earnest.

To start, that means new players added via the draft. As it stands, the Leafs have just three picks (28th, 153rd, 185th). But who makes those selections remains unclear, and that should make for two curious days for the Leafs.

When Brad Treliving was hired by the Leafs as their new GM, Leafs president Brendan Shanahan revealed that Treliving’s former team, the Calgary Flames, imposed “some restrictions” on Treliving’s involvement in the Leafs draft.

The Leafs confirmed to The Athletic Treliving cannot be at the Leafs draft table or participate in draft meetings. It’s still unclear what the other stipulations are, which leaves us with a few questions.

Even if Treliving is not at the Leafs’ draft table, is he able to trade any of the Leafs picks, either this year or beyond? For example, at the 2022 draft, the Leafs traded their 2023 fourth-round pick to re-acquire a fourth-round pick that would become now-touted goalie prospect Dennis Hildeby. Will there be any disconnect between a new GM and his scouting staff during the two days of the draft?

Is it possible there are trades to be made which don’t get completed because Treliving won’t be at the draft table? The Leafs have a valued asset in their first-round pick.

Even if the answers to these questions emerge, doesn’t it feel a little strange to have the new GM of a team not be in complete control of his new team’s situation, or possibly assets, heading into two of the most important days of the year for him?

Nevertheless, Treliving and the rest of the Leafs staff figure to be busy over what could be an eventful summer stopover in Nashville.

Is a big trade incoming?

The list of Leafs’ roster needs isn’t short: a top six winger or a second-line centre, depending on where you see John Tavares lining up. Plenty of bottom six forwards. A top four defenceman.

Treliving could wait until free agency opens on July 1 to address some of these needs, or he could do what he did throughout last year and take a swing with a not-so-small trade. If you need reminding, since the start of 2022, Treliving traded for (among others) the likes of Jonathan Huberdeau, MacKenzie Weegar, Tyler Toffoli, Nick Ritchie and a first-round pick while shipping out Matthew Tkachuk, Sean Monahan and multiple first-round picks.

The list of tradable assets in the Leafs’ prospect pool and draft pick collection that would be in demand is thin. So could we see one of the team’s roster players dealt as part of a hockey trade in an effort to add more pieces for 2023?

Treliving has yet to put his stamp on this Leafs team. With every executive in the same town, the draft could be the first real opportunity for Treliving to make a deal that could change the complexion of the team heading into next season.

Will the Leafs keep their first-round pick?

You’d have to go back to 2017 (!) for the last time the Leafs made their own first-round pick in the draft. Even for a team that has constantly tried to contend during that window, that approach – constantly flipping their pick for a variety of reasons – is sort of wild. It’s no wonder the Leafs’ prospect pool is verging on dire straits, and so far away from having the kind of talent they once did in their system.

This year is no different, as the Leafs’ original pick at 25 was flipped to the Blues as part of the deal for Ryan O’Reilly and Noel Acciari. But they acquired the Bruins’ first-round pick via the Capitals when they flipped Rasmus Sandin out.

There are routes the Leafs could take with the 28th pick, be it trading down to acquire more lottery tickets or trading it away either for a roster player or as part of a package to ditch a contract. (More on that in a bit.)

But the best option to re-stock their prospect cupboard would be to actually make a first-round pick in a very good draft.

There are legitimate options for the Leafs to explore at 28, which we have covered in detail over the past few weeks.

A centre with professional experience who could fit into the Leafs lineup in a short amount of time like Otto Stenberg makes sense. Tremendously-skilled point-producing power forward Quentin Musty might end up being available. There are even players who bear striking similarities to Matthew Knies, like Charlie Stramel.

And with the many talented options available to the Leafs, should they actually make their first-round pick, that player would instantly rocket toward the top of their prospect rankings. Whether they want to juice up their prospect pool remains to be seen, because this organization has rarely been shy about dangling a first-round pick in a deal. If Treliving can trade picks, we could learn a little bit about his philosophy for this team on day one of the draft.

What does the future hold for Matt Murray?

Murray’s first season in Toronto didn’t go as planned. The presumed starting goalie coming into training camp sustained three serious injuries and played only 26 regular season games.

After an injury to Ilya Samsonov, Murray saw Joseph Woll get the nod over him in the second round of the playoffs. Not exactly a ringing endorsement for his future in Toronto, especially if Keefe remains behind the bench.

So right now, there are three likely outcomes for Murray with the Leafs. The 29-year-old and his $4.68-million cap hit could simply spend next season on the club’s roster. Though Murray has a 10-team no-trade clause, he could still be shipped out, possibly with that aforementioned first-round pick attached to him in a trade. (Though, in my opinion, that would be detrimental to the Leafs long term.)

Or, finally, he could be bought out.

Crucially, the buyout period ends approximately 24 hours after the conclusion of the draft. This means the window for Treliving to explore this possibility is quickly closing. And you wonder if they don’t find a deal at the draft if that forces their hand with a buyout…if, of course, they even want to move on from Murray.

Reactions: LeafSteel

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Report: Maple Leafs and William Nylander 'Not Close' on Extension But Talks Continue - The Hockey News

As teams and agents get ready to meet in Nashville for the NHL Draft this week, more face-to-face meetings become possible. And it looks like Maple Leafs GM Brad Treliving is trying to get a sense of where things stand between his club and William Nylander, who is eligible to sign a contract extension on July 1.

"I think he's been pretty aggressively pursuing a new deal for William Nylander in the last number of days," DailyFaceoff.com's Frank Seravalli told Sportsnet 590 The Fan on Monday. "I'd hesitate to speculate in terms of progress or what that might look like but I do think the full-court press has been on to try and get an answer."

Sportsnet's Elliotte Friedman was a guest on 'Leafs Morning Take' podcast later in the day with hosts Nick Alberga and Jay Rosehill and added some context.

"I don't think there's a handle on this one yet," Friedman said. "I think they've exchanged numbers and I think they're not close. I think there's work to do here. As we sit here Monday morning, I think there's a lot of work to do on this contract."

Nylander is about to enter the final year of his contract which carries a salary cap hit of $6,962,366, according to PuckPedia.com. He is eligible to sign a new contract on July 1 and is likely due for a raise after recording a career-high 40 goals and 87 points last season.

The Maple Leafs have a long list of players to acquire with 10 pending unrestricted free agents. There is also the priority of figuring out a contract extension for Auston Matthews. Like Nylander, Matthews can sign an extension on July 1 and all reports suggest it's a matter of if and not when Matthews signs a new deal in Toronto.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

ELLIOTTE FRIEDMAN INTERVIEW | Leafs Morning Take - June 26th

The Leafs Nation

June 26, 2023

The NHL Insider from Sportsnet & Hockey Night in Canada joined Nick Alberga & Jay Rosehill to dish on the very latest happening with the Toronto Maple Leafs entering draft week in Nashville.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Report: Maple Leafs and William Nylander 'Not Close' on Extension But Talks Continue - The Hockey News

As teams and agents get ready to meet in Nashville for the NHL Draft this week, more face-to-face meetings become possible. And it looks like Maple Leafs GM Brad Treliving is trying to get a sense of where things stand between his club and William Nylander, who is eligible to sign a contract extension on July 1.

"I think he's been pretty aggressively pursuing a new deal for William Nylander in the last number of days," DailyFaceoff.com's Frank Seravalli told Sportsnet 590 The Fan on Monday. "I'd hesitate to speculate in terms of progress or what that might look like but I do think the full-court press has been on to try and get an answer."

Sportsnet's Elliotte Friedman was a guest on 'Leafs Morning Take' podcast later in the day with hosts Nick Alberga and Jay Rosehill and added some context.

"I don't think there's a handle on this one yet," Friedman said. "I think they've exchanged numbers and I think they're not close. I think there's work to do here. As we sit here Monday morning, I think there's a lot of work to do on this contract."

Nylander is about to enter the final year of his contract which carries a salary cap hit of $6,962,366, according to PuckPedia.com. He is eligible to sign a new contract on July 1 and is likely due for a raise after recording a career-high 40 goals and 87 points last season.

The Maple Leafs have a long list of players to acquire with 10 pending unrestricted free agents. There is also the priority of figuring out a contract extension for Auston Matthews. Like Nylander, Matthews can sign an extension on July 1 and all reports suggest it's a matter of if and not when Matthews signs a new deal in Toronto.
I am very curious to see what happens with this because Dubas's famous words were that during his time here he wouldn't trade Nylander....

I wondering if this will be the case with him or not.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
During an appearance on Leafs Morning Take with Nick Alberga and Jay Rosehill on Monday, Sportsnet's Elliotte Friedman provided updates on some of the Leafs' key UFAs and where the team is at in terms of who we can expect to stay and who we can expect to go.

Per Friedman, the Leafs remain focused on 3 players whom they'd really like to bring back in Luke Schenn, Noel Acciari and Ryan O'Reilly. Friedman stated during his appearance on the popular podcast that the Leafs remain engaged in talks with all 3 players in hopes of getting something done. He also mentioned that, as far as RFAs go, it sounds like the Leafs and Ilya Samsonov will get something done, but they aren't keen on going longer-term for him, so if they do bring Samsonov back, it will likely be a shorter-term deal.

Aside from those 4 names, Friedman did also mention that there were a few players who he believes that the Leafs won't bring back, either because they're looking to go in a different direction or because they simply can't afford to bring them back. Of the names that Friedman believes will be gone this summer are Justin Holl, Alexander Kerfoot, Michael Bunting and possibly David Kampf as well.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
1687812093463.png

Meanwhile, the Philadelphia Flyers have triggered a full tear-down and rebuild, with prospect Cutter Gauthier appearing to be the only true untouchable, meaning that Sanheim is among those who could see himself moved this summer, before his 8-year, $50M contract kicks in. Sanheim does not currently have any trade protection, but will gain a full no-trade clause on July 1st, which reverts to a modified no-trade clause in the last 4 years of the deal. He's inked through 2030-31 at a $6.25M cap hit

Sanheim tallied 7 goals and 23 points in 81 games last season. Meanwhile, Hanifin racked up 7 goals and 38 points in the same number of games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad