Post-Game Talk: 2023-2024 Leafs Roster/Changes/Turnovers & Replacement(s)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
View attachment 721549

Meanwhile, the Philadelphia Flyers have triggered a full tear-down and rebuild, with prospect Cutter Gauthier appearing to be the only true untouchable, meaning that Sanheim is among those who could see himself moved this summer, before his 8-year, $50M contract kicks in. Sanheim does not currently have any trade protection, but will gain a full no-trade clause on July 1st, which reverts to a modified no-trade clause in the last 4 years of the deal. He's inked through 2030-31 at a $6.25M cap hit

Sanheim tallied 7 goals and 23 points in 81 games last season. Meanwhile, Hanifin racked up 7 goals and 38 points in the same number of games.
Id prefer Hanifin over Sanheim but thats just me maybe. Although Sanheim kind of has more sandpaper I guess?

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Sanheim would be the lightest D on our roster. He is 10 pounds heavier than Big Mac Hollowell and 3 pounds lighter than Victor Mete.

He's not very physical either with only having 61 hits last season.

Screenshot (983).png

Reactions: Leaf Rocket

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

“The expectation is that Brad Treliving will meet with William Nylander’s agent – Lewis Gross – here before the end of the week while they’re both in Nashville. No surprise there. Clock is ticking. I mean, on July 1st, there’s an M-NTC that kicks in for Nylander. The Leafs wanna have an idea.. they’ve had preliminary talks with him, but they wanna have a better idea of what it will cost to sign him to an extension. In the meantime, I know there are teams that have talked to the Leafs about William Nylander… makes sense for Toronto to make sure they have dual tracks happening here… can we sign him or do we have to trade him.”
“Well Brad Treliving is a busy NHL GM, we know that, that’s always been his style… so not only is he negotiating top priority contracts here, but he is also making trade calls, to Pierre’s point. But I believe he has already met with Judd Moldaver, who represents Auston Matthews, here in Nashville. Undoubtedly, no different than Nylander, those conversations/negotiations are likely going to continue over the course of the week.”

Last edited:

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
One thing I think we can all agree on… do something.. and I mean more than sign a previous draft pick to a contract.

Reactions: Racer88

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I guess.. i am more of a play the system not where you like to stand on the ice. Matthews and tavares can both venture down and get pucks. Nylander and marner together could work we dont know. The puck on marners stick less doesnt default to bad - he can make quick plays

Each combo could work and getting a good third guy never know could have something..

Personally i have always thought
X matthews x
X tavares marner
X x nylander
Was worth trying for an extended period.
Your second-best scorer (who's also your second-best playmaker) on the third line doesn't seem to make a lot of sense.

Last edited:

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Your second-best scorer (who's also your second-best playmaker) on the third line doesn't seem to make a lot of sense.
One of the single most memorable exchanges I've had in nearly a decade of HF came on the Pens board in the aftermath of the Kessel deal. One of their posters suggested the contingency plan of Kessel on a 3rd line away from Crosby and Malkin. I defended the idea, most Pens showed their asses and thought it was completely stupid. Then HBK happened.

It comes down to whether the top 6 can produce without him, and whether he can produce without the top 6. If both can succeed we come out ahead spreading them out.

Reactions: andora

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
I just don't see how this team expects to survive another year of the pressure. More than any of the actual lineup considerations, I think that the narratives of choking and failure are going to eat them alive and we're going to have a regular season of regression. We've stumbled out of the gate in October a few years running now, all it takes is for that stumble to carry on into November and we're in real trouble of actually missing the playoffs. We've got a lot of talent in our big 4, but we're not deep, our defense has basically crumbled with Brodie regressing and Gio burning out, not to mention Muzzin's LTIRement. Brodie probably recovers, but Rielly, Brodie, McCabe, Liljegren, Timmins, Schenn (hopefully) is absolutely awful as a D core. We desperately need that Muzzin replacement. Our goaltending is suspect yet again, Samsonov looked alright but is far from proven and a Sammy-Woll tandem is another year of shoestrings and hope in net.

We're basically stuck with needing to overpay a top4 D in UFA. Orlov would be perfect, but he wants crazy money so we're going to have to make do. Our 5th highest paid forward is Jarnkrok, there's no offensive depth to speak of. We're basically pinning our hopes on Knies (or Robertson lol), great way to ease the rookie in.

This is clearly a pessimist take, some things will go better than I've forecast. Maybe one of Liljegren or Timmins takes a step forward (Lilly looked great most of last year before struggling down the stretch). But this team so clearly lives and dies on the big 4 and all they've ever done when it matters is die. 40m on forwards who are all due for raises is killing us. Shake up the core, get a new piece or two to change the leadership dynamic and spend more cap space on the middle six and 2nd pair.

Reactions: ktownhockey

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Leafs must be bold if they'll join NHL draft week trade frenzy - NorthStar Bets

NASHVILLE, Tenn. – Taking the helm of a new team at a time when many of his colleagues are anxious to wheel-and-deal has put Brad Treliving in an interesting spot entering the NHL draft.

While the temptation is undoubtedly high to start reshaping the roster in his own image, the Maple Leafs general manager is noticeably short on the kind of ammunition typically required to complete trades at this time of year.

Treliving arrived in Nashville with only three picks in his pocket: A late first-rounder that falls at No. 28, plus a fifth- and sixth-rounder.

That, combined with the fact the organization’s prospect cupboard is relatively bare, comes with some challenges. It’s an indication that the bill is now due for the Leafs after multiple years of win-now cap-cajoling moves by Treliving’s predecessor, Kyle Dubas, and it’s a reality that’s left the new GM weighing the merits of boosting the longer-range needs of his reserve list.

In fact, while the 28th pick in Wednesday’s draft could certainly be used by the Leafs to acquire immediate help via trade, the team is more likely to be looking at scenarios where it moves back and accumulates extra draft capital for doing so.

Full stop: He loves chasing top talent.

Not yet a full month into his tenure with the Leafs, Treliving can survey a frothing marketplace with plenty of talent available, including a number of his former players.

The Flames are still trying to sign Lindholm to an extension but will have to strongly consider trading the 28-year-old centre if those conversations don’t bear fruit. They’re also managing a trade request from Tyler Toffoli and the reluctance of Hanifin and Mikael Backlund to even discuss a new contract with potential unrestricted free agency looming next summer.

In Winnipeg, the Jets are listening on former Vezina Trophy winner Connor Hellebuyck and top centre Mark Scheifele, while the San Jose Sharks are taking calls on Erik Karlsson even after seeing him pick up a third career Norris Trophy on Monday night.

Everything not nailed down is available in Philadelphia – and that notably includes wingers Travis Konecny and Scott Laughton – while the Carolina Hurricanes might be enticed to part with steady minute-munching defenceman Brett Pesce.

For Treliving it comes down to a question of what he might be willing to part with in order to get in on the action. Even though the team’s ‘Core Four’ forwards were assured when Dubas was fired that the organization intended to keep them together, Treliving has also since had to start softly gauging the market to see what kind of return William Nylander might generate in the event he isn’t prepared to sign an extension on or soon after the July 1 window opens for him to do so.

(Expect contract talks with the agents for Nylander and Auston Matthews to take on more urgency this week in Nashville.)

It’s also worth noting that a no-movement clause officially takes effect for Matthews and Mitch Marner on Saturday, while Nylander picks up a 10-team no-trade list.

This is a big couple of days for the direction of the organization.

Given that the Leafs aren’t well-positioned to deal futures for established players, they’ll need to get either creative and/or bold to join the action.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I just don't see how this team expects to survive another year of the pressure. More than any of the actual lineup considerations, I think that the narratives of choking and failure are going to eat them alive and we're going to have a regular season of regression. We've stumbled out of the gate in October a few years running now, all it takes is for that stumble to carry on into November and we're in real trouble of actually missing the playoffs. We've got a lot of talent in our big 4, but we're not deep, our defense has basically crumbled with Brodie regressing and Gio burning out, not to mention Muzzin's LTIRement. Brodie probably recovers, but Rielly, Brodie, McCabe, Liljegren, Timmins, Schenn (hopefully) is absolutely awful as a D core. We desperately need that Muzzin replacement. Our goaltending is suspect yet again, Samsonov looked alright but is far from proven and a Sammy-Woll tandem is another year of shoestrings and hope in net.

We're basically stuck with needing to overpay a top4 D in UFA. Orlov would be perfect, but he wants crazy money so we're going to have to make do. Our 5th highest paid forward is Jarnkrok, there's no offensive depth to speak of. We're basically pinning our hopes on Knies (or Robertson lol), great way to ease the rookie in.

This is clearly a pessimist take, some things will go better than I've forecast. Maybe one of Liljegren or Timmins takes a step forward (Lilly looked great most of last year before struggling down the stretch). But this team so clearly lives and dies on the big 4 and all they've ever done when it matters is die. 40m on forwards who are all due for raises is killing us. Shake up the core, get a new piece or two to change the leadership dynamic and spend more cap space on the middle six and 2nd pair.

Couldn’t disagree more. I don’t think this group gives a shit about the choking narrative anymore. Especially now that they got passed the first round. I think we might actually see them achieve success for the first time now that they have eluded that mental hurdle. Obviously they didn’t get the result we all wanted in the second round, but I think mentally they are probably in the best spot they’ve ever been in the last 7 years to start a season.

The only people really on edge is fans. We want to taste a larger amount of success. Winning one round wasn’t good enough for us. I don’t think it’s enough for the players in the room either but the biggest pressure point has been that first round and they finally got over that hurdle. So I don’t think the players feel that sense of pressure anymore which is a good thing overall.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
One of the single most memorable exchanges I've had in nearly a decade of HF came on the Pens board in the aftermath of the Kessel deal. One of their posters suggested the contingency plan of Kessel on a 3rd line away from Crosby and Malkin. I defended the idea, most Pens showed their asses and thought it was completely stupid. Then HBK happened.

It comes down to whether the top 6 can produce without him, and whether he can produce without the top 6. If both can succeed we come out ahead spreading them out.
Kessel likely had a better shot, but otherwise Nylander is a better player, and Pens at that time had a much better overall team.

Limiting the top two lines to one good player on each isn't what Pittsburgh had to do to put Phil on line 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad