Post-Game Talk: 2023-2024 Leafs Roster/Changes/Turnovers & Replacement(s)

Status
Not open for further replies.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
We talk about creating a playoff line up and not just build something for regulsr playoff... everytime Matthees played with nylander in playoff, they was trash because with lack pf nylander commitment defensive side... they was just defending majority of the time against top opposite line...you talked about being dangerous yes youre right hes extremely dangerous but also extremely dangerous for his own team because of lack of defensive commitment whos really Matthews game at the end...its why keefe always finishing to bring back marner back with matthews

Yes hes the faster player with rielly in this team ans creating over 90% of his chance at 5v5 in counter-attack using his speed.

-Thats why i dont want to see nylander with matthews
- didn't work pretty well with Tavares...
So you need to find a way to use him with his strenght ane reducing his weakness...
-

I shoot toews but can be someone else, theyre just not a lot of C available...maybe they can use acciari as centre and

Where he was the most dangerous most of the time at 5v5 during all playoff was pratically when he was double shifted on the 4th line with kampf and lafferty against weaker opposition and was able to use his speed to create thing...so i dont thing you will necessairly get the worst of him on 3rd

By the past the year he was the most dangerous was when he played with kerfoot and galchenyuk ( 2 bottom 6 player) against suzuki-caufield line who had defensive issues and allowed a lot of space defensivly. Its that kind of thing i want to reproduce, using him against a line with more defensive issues where he will be able to create thing with his speed. Thats where he can help you
His playoff time with Matthews wasn't usually any more trash than Marner's time with Matthews.

Yes, he's most dangerous when playing with faster linemates - so just about anyone but JT or Toews! At the same time, you don't relegate him to the third line because of it - since he is more valuable to the team than JT, you move JT to the third line.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
I would just like to see 2 lines of hard checking, PK types who can play defensively sound so we can roll our top 2 scoring lines out and when they arent on the ice the bottom 2 can lay the hits and grind them down physically. If the games get chippy you start bringing guys up from the bottom 2 lines to play with the talent to keep everyone in check (pun intended). We are far too soft and teams know they can get away with things like smashing our rookies head through the ice because we wont do anything about it. Hell, our bottom 2 lines never score in the playoffs anyway, might as well use them to punish the opponent.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Used properly? How’s his usage different than it was in Toronto?
Biggest difference is PP time in Edmonton, playing on and being a successful part of the NHL's #1 PP that ran at 32.4 % last year.

1687452694389.png

Hyman last year recorded 15 PP goals and 11 PP assists among his 36 goals and 83 points,

1687452832810.png

Leafs are paying John Tavares $11 mil AAV which is 2 X Hyman's $5.5 mil AAV and got the same amount of goals 36 last year and 39 PP points compared to Zach's 36 and JT got 80 points overall to Hyman's 83.

Hyman's 15 PP goals last year was more then Auston (13), Mitch (9) or Willy (9) scored for Toronto but the Leafs focus is so much of keeping the core 4 together that they've let more productive and bang for you buck forward like Hyman walk for cap reasons because the Leaf couldn't afford him because Leafs core uses up 1/2 a team salary cap.

Zach Hyman 36 and Mitch Marner both recorded the same 36 PP points in 2022-23 which was more then Nylander's 28.

How many times did you see Zach Hyman get #1 unit PP time while in Toronto, because his PP points in Edmonton is just as good as any of Leafs Core 4 in comparison?

Last edited:
Reactions: myleafs

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
His playoff time with Matthews wasn't usually any more trash than Marner's time with Matthews.

Yes, he's most dangerous when playing with faster linemates - so just about anyone but JT or Toews! At the same time, you don't relegate him to the third line because of it - since he is more valuable to the team than JT, you move JT to the third line.

Do you know playing in a 3rd line, he will play the same time at the end? Its just trying to maximize ability of everyone and you cant use matthews, jt, marner and nylander on 4 different line...

Marner and nylander forget it... 2 peripheric player who need to have the puck on their stick to make thing happen... Who will rush to the net and create thing in dirty area... Its kind of line who can be good on counter attack and pretty trash if opposite team just minimize scoring chance off the rush...

You can dislike tavares but at least hes rush the net on going in dirty area... hes slow yes but thats not affecting marner as much of nylander because marner having the ability to slow down the play... hes a better fit to play with marner than nylander...

Reactions: PROUD PAPA

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
Common man :wg:

This story writes itself " Prior to Dubas’s departure there was a strong sense he was planning on having goalie Matt Murray return to Toronto for his final year. Could that prior interest set up a trade between Dubas’s Penguins and Treliving’s Leafs? "

No better way for Treliving to rid himself of this headache is to make a call to Pittsburgh.

To Pittsburgh: Matt Murray & TJ Brodie & Jake Muzzin & Mark Giordano
To: Toronto: Alex Nylander & 3rd

KD can have his goalie and 1/2 of his Leafs defense and BT can start building his new defense and goaltending with all that cap space.
I'd want more than a 3rd back if we include Brodie.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
Check out how productive Zac is come playoff time in Edmonton.

View attachment 720030

14 goals and 27 playoff points the last 2 playoffs at $5.5 mil AAV.

If only Leafs $11 mil players could perform like that !!!!

Leafs should have let their former GM and their current coach walk and kept Hyman who is the type of playoff warrior you want when used properly.
all we need to have our guys perform like that is get McDavid. i kinda sorta think he makes a slight difference to a player that just plants himself in the crease

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Again, referring back to the Tavares injury against Montreal.

The 2nd. line didn't have Matthews nor Tavares and it was their most productive.

Just move Tavares to the third line (cap hit is sunk cost).
Jarkrok-Matthews-marner
Knies-?-Nylander
?-Tavares-?

Last edited:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
all we need to have our guys perform like that is get McDavid. i kinda sorta think he makes a slight difference to a player that just plants himself in the crease

Maybe if we pay Matthews, Marner and Nylander more $$ money with their new raises, so they all will make more than McDavid, Draisaitl, and RNH, then they can also be more productive?

Just look at our Salary cap usage in comparison to Edmonton.

1687455844336.png
vs.
1687456231155.png

This seems to be the Leafs new plan of bringing back the core 4 and thus making the surrounding depth more productive by using up even more cap space this time around. :wg:

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Maybe if we pay Matthews, Marner and Nylander more $$ money with their new raises, so they all will make more than McDavid, Draisaitl, and RNH, then they can also be more productive?

Just look at our Salary cap usage in comparison to Edmonton.

View attachment 720078 vs. View attachment 720084

This seems to be the Leafs new plan of bringing back the core 4 and thus making the surrounding depth more productive by using up even more cap space this time around. :wg:

RNH had his best year ever at age 29, after signing an 8 year extension.
Had never hit 70 points before his current contract.
So yes, extending these guys into their mid-30's like RNH might be the best bet.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
RNH had his best year ever at age 29, after signing an 8 year extension.
Had never hit 70 points before his current contract.
So yes, extending these guys into their mid-30's like RNH might be the best bet.
Good point RNH took a paycut on his current deal and then produced more. :)

Before
1687458699251.png

After
1687458749169.png

Edmonton is now getting top 10 & 104 points from RNH

1687459055820.png

Wonder which Leafs will be taking paycuts to bring their production in line using the Edmonton model so pay = production?

McDavid @ $12.5 mil = 153 points vs. Matthews @ $ ? = 85 points
Draisaitl @ $ 8.5 mil = 128 points vs. Marner @ $ ? = 99 points
Nugent-Hopkins @ $5.125 mil =104 points vs. Nylander @ $ ? = 87 points
Hyman @ $5.5 mil = 83 points vs. Tavares @ $ ? = 80 points.

Last edited:

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Edmonton is now getting top 10 & 104 points from RNH

Wonder which Leafs will be taking paycuts to bring their production in line using the Edmonton model so pay = production?

McDavid @ $12.5 mil = 153 points = Matthews @ $ ? = 85 points
Draisaitl @ $ 8.5 mil = 128 points = Marner @ $ ? = 99 points
Nugent-Hopkins @ $5.15 mil = 104 points = Nylander @ $ ? = 87 points
Hyman @ $5.5 mil = 83 points = Tavares @ $ ? = 80 points.

Can RNH do it again?

His normal production 65 points.

Right now is probably the best time for the Oilers to trade him ... kind of like Kadri's career year was his best time to be UFA.

Kadri came back to earth in Calgary.

Reactions: Leaf Rocket

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Can RNH do it again?

His normal production 65 points.

Right now is probably the best time for the Oilers to trade him ... kind of like Kadri's career year was his best time to be UFA.

Kadri came back to earth in Calgary.
To Toronto: RNH @$5.125 mil [37-67-104 points] + Hyman @$5.5mil [36-47-83 points] = $10.625 mil @ 73 goals 114 assists 187 points
To Edmonton: John Tavares @$11 mil = 36 goals 34 assists 80 points.

Maybe JT wants to play on the PP in Edmonton with McDavid and Draisaitl

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Thank you for repeating what I already said! And adding a few insults to Marner. I know it’s hard for you to resist doing that. Really gained a ton of insight!!
You said Marner slows the game down.....

I said, no he doesn't, he can't because defenders forecheck him too quickly and he loses the puck.

Your response is... Thanks for repeating what I said?

Care to elaborate on how Marner "slows the game down"?

• Haha
Reactions: francis246

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Thank you for repeating what I already said! And adding a few insults to Marner. I know it’s hard for you to resist doing that. Really gained a ton of insight!!
I followed up with you on this with a question...asking you to explain how Marner slows the game down. You clicked emoticon "haha" but didn't respond to the question.

Gonna assume since you can't explain it... That you have no idea what your talking about. Which is what I thought initially, but wanted to give you the benefit of the doubt.

• Haha

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
where as Marner plays better with JT because Marner can actually set up plays because JT can cycle and create space in front of the net. I think Marner prefers slowing it down in the offensive zone, where as Willy and Matthews love scoring off the rush and transition offense.

Is slowing down the game inherently good? Florida’s D was constantly out of position, slowing down the game lets them recover. Can he speed the game up if the situation calls for it? I’ve seen Nylander and Matthews slow the tempo enough times, Nylander even weaponizes it switching fast to slow and back again on a dime.

Cycling to the point to exploit Vasi’s vision problem is fine but it doesn’t work on everyone. It’s a tool in the bag not the entire bag.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Biggest difference is PP time in Edmonton, playing on and being a successful part of the NHL's #1 PP that ran at 32.4 % last year.

View attachment 720060

Hyman last year recorded 15 PP goals and 11 PP assists among his 36 goals and 83 points,

View attachment 720061

Leafs are paying John Tavares $11 mil AAV which is 2 X Hyman's $5.5 mil AAV and got the same amount of goals 36 last year and 39 PP points compared to Zach's 36 and JT got 80 points overall to Hyman's 83.

Hyman's 15 PP goals last year was more then Auston (13), Mitch (9) or Willy (9) scored for Toronto but the Leafs focus is so much of keeping the core 4 together that they've let more productive and bang for you buck forward like Hyman walk for cap reasons because the Leaf couldn't afford him because Leafs core uses up 1/2 a team salary cap.

Zach Hyman 36 and Mitch Marner both recorded the same 36 PP points in 2022-23 which was more then Nylander's 28.

How many times did you see Zach Hyman get #1 unit PP time while in Toronto, because his PP points in Edmonton is just as good as any of Leafs Core 4 in comparison?

Good time to trade Hyman. That's what I get from all that.

Reactions: Menzinger

TheBigFour

Apr 17, 2019
yeah Hyman was great playoff performer here...only 13 points in 32 games (5 goals). In the Montreal series he only had one point ...one...

Hyman has gotten better in Edmonton but lets not act that he was "playoff performer" over here

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
yeah Hyman was great playoff performer here...only 13 points in 32 games (5 goals). In the Montreal series he only had one point ...one...

Hyman has gotten better in Edmonton but lets not act that he was "playoff performer" over here

If Hyman had played as he did in Edmonton in Toronto, he would have been an easy extension to make.

But he didn't.

Peace Frog

“Go on, say your thing man”
Jun 18, 2009
I would like to see less big playmaking for matthews so he doesnt play to wait for it yeah i agree.. wingers that are good in tight and good puck support that can make short passes and rotate

Yep.. all these are types of short passes i meant. Give and gos, wall passes, cycle and rotations, crease plays etc...
That’s where it might actually make sense to sign JVR to a low dollar, one year contract. He still has the sick mitts in close and is a good passer as well.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
That’s where it might actually make sense to sign JVR to a low dollar, one year contract. He still has the sick mitts in close and is a good passer as well.
Maybe.. i dont need cutesy stuff though.. just quick puck movement and wall work.. preferably with some physical bite

I never minded JVR but meh

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

I was saying the same about JVR. Low cost winger, him and Schenn back could be useful all things cap considered.

Peace Frog

“Go on, say your thing man”
Jun 18, 2009
I was saying the same about JVR. Low cost winger, him and Schenn back could be useful all things cap considered.
Yeah. He’s not the best option, but he could still be useful as a low risk and potentially big payoff.

Besides, we know he’ll fit right in as he has a history with some of the players. Also, he knows this market and is able to function within it.

Reactions: thewave
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad