Post-Game Talk: 2023-2024 Leafs Roster/Changes/Turnovers & Replacement(s)

Status
Not open for further replies.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
FYI, it'll be a lot easier to read if you keep players the same colour throughout when they appear on multiple graphs.

It's also too difficult to project past next year. Somebody can breakout/decline a lot in the next year and then receive a raise or be looked at as a trade/buy out candidate.

In addition, a few minimum salary players (Marlies or any vet that follows the Giordano/Spezza path) makes it so that we have quite a bit of $ to fill out the roster.

The biggest need is to sign the big 3 forwards to reasonable caphits and (as importantly) long contracts. They're all young enough we shouldn't see a big decline in play at the end of 7 or 8yr contracts. However, we don't want to have to re-sign them in 3-4 years to even higher contract amounts.

We need to ice the best team we can the next 2 years with the understanding that our cap gets a lot more flexible in 2 years (post JT's 11m contract).

Moving Brodie doesn't improve our team... he's signed for a reasonable contract and we would either have to (likely) overpay a UFA or trade assets for his replacement.

We have enough room to add to our defense and next year (when his buyout penalty is 2.5m) is going to be much more cap restrictive than this year if we renew Matthews and Nylander (which we will definitely attempt to do).

Edit: To add, I think theres a definite possibility that Brodie could replace Giordano the following year as a good value contract (not less than 1m, but maybe 2-3m?).
colors - i did it in like 10 minutes and i'm not getting paid ;)

100% players up and down and cheap vets or kids etc.. but in my opinion it's too much bloat because adding an actual impact player affects the monies so much. this has been setup where a GM needs to consistently hit home runs for any type of sustained long term post season success

Reactions: Community

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

What’s O’Reilly’s future in Toronto looking like?

With a new general manager in town, might Ryan O’Reilly have a pathway toward returning to the Maple Leafs this summer?

ryan-o-reilly-1-1950123-1682215253490.jpeg

LeBrun: Well, to be fair, Ryan O’Reilly himself made it sound like it was a rental experience when he met the media at the end of the season probably looking at the Leafs’ salary cap situation and not thinking he could be an option. But, in fact, what’s happening is new Maple Leafs GM Brad Treliving has communicated to O’Reilly’s camp that they have interest in bringing him back. O’Reilly has not closed the door on Toronto, but I would say in general is O’Reilly has really left all the options on the table as he approaches the unrestricted free agency market. So yes, the Leafs are an option, but he would also be arguably the No. 1 centre on an otherwise weak UFA centre market.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Well, he did play the most minutes with Rielly Matthews Marner Bunting and wille and a 55% ozone start. Now, playing with those guys. How do you think that affected his stats If that's how you wanna judge a player? Is it possible hockey stats are flawed to judge a player and shouldn't be used?

Most offensive centric guys end up getting 60-70% Oz starts. I don't think Brodie having a hair above balanced usage is all that telling. Lots of guys on the Leafs team/D group have gotten to play with good players, but Brodie still came out ahead.

Imo the stats AND eye test for the majority of his contract here have shown him to be one for he teams better defenseman. He looked bad this playoffs - i won't disagree there - but in the context of the earlier conversation, I don't think that overall small sample erases his value either to the team or on the trade market.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

Seven Leafs forwards, including the little-used Wayne Simmonds, are headed for the open market on Canada Day. Ryan O’Reilly and Michael Bunting will be popular options (though we’ve been told that on Bunting, at least, the door has not been closed to a return), while Noel Acciari, David Kampf, Alexander Kerfoot and Zach Aston-Reese also will get interest to varying degrees.

The more time passes, the less likely any of the above-mentioned players will re-sign with the Leafs before July 1.

So, there will be holes to fill up front. A glance at some players about to hit the open market and who might be attractive to Toronto:

Connor Brown

The ex-Leaf is working his way back from a knee injury, and subsequent surgery, that he suffered in his fourth game with the Washington Capitals last October. A healthy Brown would provide the kind of energy, with a bit of touch, that Toronto needs in its bottom six.

Garnet Hathaway

The industrious depth forward has a history with Treliving, who signed the undrafted Hathaway in Calgary in 2015. In the ensuing years, Hathaway developed into a dependable role player with the Capitals and most recently the Boston Bruins.

Lars Eller

If no free agents return, for example Kampf on the fourth line, the Leafs are going to need a couple of centres. Eller is a reliable faceoff man and has played in 103 Stanley Cup playoff games. That experience would be a bonus.

Tyler Bertuzzi

Wouldn’t the shift-disturbing Bertuzzi look good in Toronto, especially if Bunting does depart? Sure he would. Whether the Leafs could afford the 28-year-old Sudbury native could be another matter. He’s coming off a two-year contract that had carried a salary cap hit of $4.75 million.

Corey Perry

Could the Leafs entice another Ontario native to come home and finish his career here? Perry would be worth a shot. Yes, he turned 38 in May, but age has not diminished his snarl around the opposing net.

Nick Bjugstad

The 6-foot-6, 210-pound Bjugstad would provide savvy and size in the middle. He rebounded offensively last season, scoring a total of 17 goals with Edmonton and Arizona.

Miles Wood

In 400 games with New Jersey, Wood, who turns 28 in September, provided physicality and scoring depth. Again, it’s the kind of approach the Leafs will require in their bottom six.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

With a new general manager in town, might Ryan O’Reilly have a pathway toward returning to the Maple Leafs this summer?

LeBrun: Well, to be fair, Ryan O’Reilly himself made it sound like it was a rental experience when he met the media at the end of the season probably looking at the Leafs’ salary cap situation and not thinking he could be an option. But, in fact, what’s happening is new Maple Leafs GM Brad Treliving has communicated to O’Reilly’s camp that they have interest in bringing him back. O’Reilly has not closed the door on Toronto, but I would say in general is O’Reilly has really left all the options on the table as he approaches the unrestricted free agency market. So yes, the Leafs are an option, but he would also be arguably the No. 1 centre on an otherwise weak UFA centre market.

What if the strategy is twice the length for half the Cap?

Leafs could sign him for 8 years, would anyone else come close to that?

NMC first 3 years, declining NTC clause over the next 5.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Knies-Matthews-marner
Robertson-Tavares-Nylander
Jarnkrok-Domi-Bugstad
McMann-Glendening/Kampf-Lafferty
Hirvonen-Nylander.A

Rielly-Brodie
McCabe-Liljegren
Giordano-Schenn
Timmins/Niemela

Samsonov
Woll

Murray traded with prospects and retention
Nylander.A acquired via prospects
Domi, Bugstad, Glendening all play center, Glendening best of the bunch on face-offs.
Be fine with Kampf returning same price over Glendening.
That second line is brutal. I'm not sure Robertson is NHL calibre, Nylander is wasted playing with Tavares, and JT is not much more than a 3C or winger now.

And I don't think Domi is worth getting.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

If they move on from Marner I am all for ROR coming in.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
That second line is brutal. I'm not sure Robertson is NHL calibre, Nylander is wasted playing with Tavares, and JT is not much more than a 3C or winger now.

Yep, Robertson is iffy indeed. I would not be surprised if this is his last year in Toronto, one way or another he's no longer a prospect. This would be his last opportunity with the Leafs, and it is really about staying healthy.

Tavares has to play somewhere unless the Leafs hired Houdini as their GM. And my thoughts are a healthy Robertson and Nylander would be quick strike attackers with Tavares playing a defensive center role.

And the acquisitions aren't a stretch to achieve.

Now if they can find a way to re-sign O'Reilly that changes quite a bit.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020

Seven Leafs forwards, including the little-used Wayne Simmonds, are headed for the open market on Canada Day. Ryan O’Reilly and Michael Bunting will be popular options (though we’ve been told that on Bunting, at least, the door has not been closed to a return), while Noel Acciari, David Kampf, Alexander Kerfoot and Zach Aston-Reese also will get interest to varying degrees.

The more time passes, the less likely any of the above-mentioned players will re-sign with the Leafs before July 1.

So, there will be holes to fill up front. A glance at some players about to hit the open market and who might be attractive to Toronto:

Connor Brown

The ex-Leaf is working his way back from a knee injury, and subsequent surgery, that he suffered in his fourth game with the Washington Capitals last October. A healthy Brown would provide the kind of energy, with a bit of touch, that Toronto needs in its bottom six.

Garnet Hathaway

The industrious depth forward has a history with Treliving, who signed the undrafted Hathaway in Calgary in 2015. In the ensuing years, Hathaway developed into a dependable role player with the Capitals and most recently the Boston Bruins.

Lars Eller

If no free agents return, for example Kampf on the fourth line, the Leafs are going to need a couple of centres. Eller is a reliable faceoff man and has played in 103 Stanley Cup playoff games. That experience would be a bonus.

Tyler Bertuzzi

Wouldn’t the shift-disturbing Bertuzzi look good in Toronto, especially if Bunting does depart? Sure he would. Whether the Leafs could afford the 28-year-old Sudbury native could be another matter. He’s coming off a two-year contract that had carried a salary cap hit of $4.75 million.

Corey Perry

Could the Leafs entice another Ontario native to come home and finish his career here? Perry would be worth a shot. Yes, he turned 38 in May, but age has not diminished his snarl around the opposing net.

Nick Bjugstad

The 6-foot-6, 210-pound Bjugstad would provide savvy and size in the middle. He rebounded offensively last season, scoring a total of 17 goals with Edmonton and Arizona.

Miles Wood

In 400 games with New Jersey, Wood, who turns 28 in September, provided physicality and scoring depth. Again, it’s the kind of approach the Leafs will require in their bottom six.

Connor Brown - sure for a $1M aav "show me" one year deal.
Lars Eller - talented and a bit mean, I'd like him but he's getting over the hill. I'd prefer David Kampf.
Corey Perry - if we were going this route, it should've happened 4 years ago. The Leafiest thing in the world would be finally signing this nasty piece of work to more money than he's made in the past 4 seasons and he turns out to be totally finished.
Tyler Bertuzzi - no long term investment please. Flaky and not as physical or consistent as he's believed to be.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi

And leafs wasted Matthews playing with nylander...

The interesting thing for me is Knies...if he bring ad much than we saw last playoff... i would like to like to see something like

Knies-matthews-jarnkrok
Comtois-jt-marner
Robertson-Toews-nylander
Yep, Robertson is iffy indeed. I would not be surprised if this is his last year in Toronto, one way or another he's no longer a prospect. This would be his last opportunity with the Leafs, and it is really about staying healthy.

Tavares has to play somewhere unless the Leafs hired Houdini as their GM. And my thoughts are a healthy Robertson and Nylander would be quick strike attackers with Tavares playing a defensive center role.

And the acquisitions aren't a stretch to achieve.

Now if they can find a way to re-sign O'Reilly that changes quite a bit.

Do you realise than robertson having 6 month difference in term of age with Niemela... just dont understand why he should not be considerate like a prospect anymore

Last edited:

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
Do you realise than robertson having 6 month difference in term of age with Niemela... just dont understand why he should not be considerate like a prospect anymore
At the same age as Robertson, Nazem Kadri had 8 career goals and 11 assists in 51 games on non-playoff teams. Robertson has 4 goals 4 assists in 35 regular/playoff NHL games plus 2 separate serious injuries. It's ridiculous to discount him as a prospect.

the Mighty Oak

May 13, 2023
At the same age as Robertson, Nazem Kadri had 8 career goals and 11 assists in 51 games on non-playoff teams. Robertson has 4 goals 4 assists in 35 regular/playoff NHL games plus 2 separate serious injuries. It's ridiculous to discount him as a prospect.
I think he's still a prospect but. I wouldn't project him in the lineup anytime soon, cause he's so injury prone.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
Am I the only one who thinks ROR will be a mistake?

Obviously depends on the contract but I’m hesitant to spend big money on a 32 year old who has lost a step. He’s still got a lot to give but his skating is a big issue and speed was a big issue for this team in the playoffs.

weems

Jul 3, 2008

Obviously depends on the contract but I’m hesitant to spend big money on a 32 year old who has lost a step. He’s still got a lot to give but his skating is a big issue and speed was a big issue for this team in the playoffs.

Nope.

I would imagine alot of Leaf fans agree with your take.

You'd be allocating like 16 million or so of cap towards two older, slower skating forwards.

For me it'd be better to get faster and younger at the C position.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

It's all about health.

ESL ... "one way or another he's no longer a prospect."
He is going to be a player or they'll have to move on from him.
I think he's more a player than prospect, however ...

He might be physically unable to stand up to the NHL physical requirements.

Talent is there, but smaller players have survived whereas he seems unable to stay healthy enough to play a full season against pro-players.

The only question in my mind is how many injuries can he suffer and continue to come back.

I have him in my line-up, but if he suffers another multi-month injury he's useless to the team.

Last edited:

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
It's all about health.

ESL ... "one way or another he's no longer a prospect."
He is going to be a player or they'll have to move on from him.
I think he's more a player than prospect, however ...

He might be physically unable to stand up to the NHL physical requirements.

Talent is there, but smaller players have survived whereas he seems unable to stay healthy enough to play a full season against pro-players.

The only question in my mind is how many injuries can he suffer and continue to come back.

I have him in my line-up, but if he suffers another multi-month injury he's useless to the team.

We can say the same thing about injuries concern with timmins, vilardi, byram and its not because they are too small...

But at the end, thats doesnt change the fact hes still a prospect right now

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020

A mistake if it's anything longer term and large. He's a declining player and he had a rough season health wise. Ideally the player the Leafs should be adding in O'Reilly's place is 8 years younger and cheaper but the previous GM has left the franchise precious few valuable trade chips.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
A mistake if it's anything longer term and large. He's a declining player and he had a rough season health wise. Ideally the player the Leafs should be adding in O'Reilly's place is 8 years younger and cheaper but the previous GM has left the franchise precious few valuable trade chips.

Agreed.

Dubas actually thought the Leafs were a contender, and spent assets supplementing them for the playoffs.

Too many no-shows on the roster, and no appetite to move marner nor Matthews, and Tavares controls where he plays.

In a redraft they probably still take them, but maybe there'd be a GM who knew how flawed they are and not waste those assets.

Reactions: arso40

notbias

Feb 16, 2017

How many 3Cs put up PPG, really curious.

The other point I agree with since Domi I think will get overpaid.

Agreed.

Dubas actually thought the Leafs were a contender, and spent assets supplementing them for the playoffs.

Too many no-shows on the roster, and no appetite to move marner nor Matthews, and Tavares controls where he plays.

In a redraft they probably still take them, but maybe there'd be a GM who knew how flawed they are and not waste those assets.

So you describe them as no-shows and think we should move them... I am assuming they have negative value then... how many 1sts to get away from Marner/Matthews do you think?

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
So you describe them as no-shows and think we should move them... I am assuming they have negative value then... how many 1sts to get away from Marner/Matthews do you think?

Not sure what to do with them.

So half the teams make the playoffs?

We do know 16 teams made the playoffs, and 15 of them did not have the Leafs line-up.

TBH running back the same 17 players and coach, while adding a few character players might make a huge difference. Perhaps Dubas was very close, and it will only take some luck to move forward.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

According to Elloitte Friedman:

- the Toronto Maple Leafs will take a run at re-signing William Nylander to a contract extension

- the Toronto Maple Leafs are still talking to Luke Schenn

- the Vancouver Canucks are looking for another centre. They might target Ryan O'Reilly.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
How many 3Cs put up PPG, really curious.

The other point I agree with since Domi I think will get overpaid.
He's doing less and less at even strength - half his goals and points came on the PP last year. Only half his goals and points came at even strength (barely within the top 50 centers), and that's despite him spending most of his ES ice time with the RW who was third in the league in goals and fifth in points.

Reactions: weems
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad