Post-Game Talk: 2023-2024 Leafs Roster/Changes/Turnovers & Replacement(s)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Is there anything legitimate to these rumors or discussion that Toronto is planning on buying out Brodie?

Why would they do that? Who are they going to make room for?

Reactions: Mitch nylander

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Is there anything legitimate to these rumors or discussion that Toronto is planning on buying out Brodie?

I’d say that it’s probably an avenue they are exploring. There are benefits to doing it. Most of the time I don’t believe rumours come out of no where.

Do I think they are going to buy him out? Probably not, but do I think they are open to moving on from him? For sure.

Hanifin and Pesce are both available

Hanifin - UFA
Rielly - Schenn
UFA - Liljegren

I personally would love Hanifin cause he’s a puck mover and that has been a struggle for the leafs for so long.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
I’d say that it’s probably an avenue they are exploring. There are benefits to doing it. Most of the time I don’t believe rumours come out of no where.

Do I think they are going to buy him out? Probably not, but do I think they are open to moving on from him? For sure.

Hanifin and Pesce are both available

Hanifin - UFA
Rielly - Schenn
UFA - Liljegren

I personally would love Hanifin cause he’s a puck mover and that has been a struggle for the leafs for so long.
Hanifin's best season is 48 points and you would play him in front of Morgan Rielly? Also where is McCabe? Did he pass away? ;)

Reactions: GreatDayforHockey

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
I don't get the need to acquire a shutdown Dmen. with Brodie and McCabe + Gio and if Schenn is re-signed like so many here believe. I would rather a guy who could move the puck and produce offensively I think this was a weakness from our defense last season.

Rielly McCabe
Brodie ?????
Liljegren - Schenn
Timmins - Gio

the ???? needs to be a more offensive guy. since the only guy in the current group we can depend on for offense is Rielly. also was McCabe ever tried with Rielly once he was acquired? Rielly usually plays well with a physical defensive Dmen like McCabe why wouldn't we try him there.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I don't get the need to acquire a shutdown Dmen. with Brodie and McCabe + Gio and if Schenn is re-signed like so many here believe. I would rather a guy who could move the puck and produce offensively I think this was a weakness from our defense last season.

Rielly McCabe
Brodie ?????
Liljegren - Schenn
Timmins - Gio

the ???? needs to be a more offensive guy. since the only guy in the current group we can depend on for offense is Rielly. also was McCabe ever tried with Rielly once he was acquired? Rielly usually plays well with a physical defensive Dmen like McCabe why wouldn't we try him there.
Rielly and McCabe are both LHD and play on the left side as their strong side.

Reactions: Super Mega

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

FWIW ..

Buying out Matt Murray or TJ Brodie would have a similar cap implication for Toronto.

Matt Murray

1687278883829.png

TJ Brodie

1687278962323.png

Both are prickly contracts, and both options create cap space in the present at the expense of a $2 -$2.5 mil for next year, and both are players the team would likely want to move on from.

No question Treliving would try and trade both first exhausting those options including at the upcoming draft, however come June 30th before Free agency begins he does have the buyout card that would add $4=$5 mil extra cap space this season.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015

Rielly McCabe
Brodie ?????
Liljegren - Schenn
Timmins - Gio

Liljegren and Schenn aren't likely to be paired together since both are RHD. The ideal addition on the blueline for me is someone adept at both ends of the ice.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

The summer plans of Maple Leafs general manager Brad Treliving do not include buying out defenceman T.J. Brodie.

For reasons that are not clear — not that speculation and clarity go hand-in-hand — rumours have been circulating regarding the Leafs potentially going the buyout route with Brodie, who has one season remaining on a four-year, $20-million US contract that he signed with Toronto in 2020.

Said a well-placed source on Tuesday regarding the buyout rumours: “No truth.”

A 33-year-old native of Chatham, Ont., Brodie will be an unrestricted free agent in the summer of 2024.

Brodie’s cap hit in 2023-24 will be $5 million, though his actual salary will be $7.5 million. Per capfriendly.com, a buyout wouldn’t cost the Leafs anything this coming season, but they would take on a $2.5-million cap hit in 2024-25 before Brodie would come off the books.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Knies-Matthews-marner
Robertson-Tavares-Nylander
Jarnkrok-Domi-Bugstad
McMann-Glendening/Kampf-Lafferty
Hirvonen-Nylander.A

Rielly-Brodie
McCabe-Liljegren
Giordano-Schenn
Timmins/Niemela

Samsonov
Woll

Murray traded with prospects and retention
Nylander.A acquired via prospects
Domi, Bugstad, Glendening all play center, Glendening best of the bunch on face-offs.
Be fine with Kampf returning same price over Glendening.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

The summer plans of Maple Leafs general manager Brad Treliving do not include buying out defenceman T.J. Brodie.

For reasons that are not clear — not that speculation and clarity go hand-in-hand — rumours have been circulating regarding the Leafs potentially going the buyout route with Brodie, who has one season remaining on a four-year, $20-million US contract that he signed with Toronto in 2020.

Said a well-placed source on Tuesday regarding the buyout rumours: “No truth.”

A 33-year-old native of Chatham, Ont., Brodie will be an unrestricted free agent in the summer of 2024.

Brodie’s cap hit in 2023-24 will be $5 million, though his actual salary will be $7.5 million. Per capfriendly.com, a buyout wouldn’t cost the Leafs anything this coming season, but they would take on a $2.5-million cap hit in 2024-25 before Brodie would come off the books.

It wasn’t a rumour though. Just a dumb speculative comment

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

If anything was obvious as the playoffs got longer, it was how the Maple Leafs defence could not have held up the way the champion Vegas Golden Knights managed or even, up to the Stanley Cup final, the way the Florida Panthers blueline dealt with pressure, with a hard forecheck, with the cycle of other teams — with the other components such as shot blocking, stick-positioning and gap control. The usual definitions that make defencemen great.

What is Treliving, the new general manager, to make of Jake McCabe, for example?

He was brought to Toronto to be a physical difference-maker of sorts. He was paired with the veteran T.J. Brodie and set up by Sheldon Keefe and probably Kyle Dubas to be the Leafs shutdown duo.

During 21 regular-season games in which McCabe was finding himself as a Leaf, he didn’t give up much. He was scored on just nine times. He had the look of a player built for the harder post-season game.

Then the playoffs began.

After McCabe gave up nine goals in 21 games in the season, he allowed 12 goals in 11 playoff games — the most of any Toronto defenceman.

Four of the six Vegas defenceman — playing two additional rounds — gave up that many goals against or fewer. Aaron Ekblad from the Panthers was scored on nine times through four rounds — also while playing with a multitude of serious injuries.

The question now for Treliving: Is McCabe a top-four NHL defenceman? Can he be that? Can he be better than he was against Tampa Bay and Florida? Can he be depended upon when it matters most?

His playoff numbers, his playoff decision-making and his positioning were all concerning. And it didn’t help that his partner, the normally dependable Brodie, seemed a step slow and, maybe more importantly, went from a guy who usually makes most of all right decisions, calming down the game, to a player who wasn’t making many of those with the puck.

So here you are, Treliving, and you want to make the Leafs better, and you’re studying your video, and you’re talking to your staff, and you want to make certain that this 100-plus point team can actually challenge somebody for something in the post-season — not wilt away like they did against Florida — and not only do you need to upgrade on defence, but just as importantly, you need to accurately assess what you have.

Sometimes a general manager just doesn’t know.

Aside from the 12 goals McCabe was on for, veteran Mark Giordano was scored on 11 times, the pending free agent Justin Holl 10 times, and the barely playing Timothy Liljegren was on for nine goals against. The Leafs couldn’t handle the physical nature of the Panthers. And in the Cup final, the worn-down Panthers couldn’t handle the Golden Knights.

Treliving has to make the Leafs defence both bigger and better. He knows that. But every player comes with questions — even his best and his worst from last season.

Is there a Montour to be found somewhere out there? Is there a Whitecloud or a Hague? That’s the challenge for the new GM.

Fixing what needs to be fixed with the Leafs.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

If anything was obvious as the playoffs got longer, it was how the Maple Leafs defence could not have held up the way the champion Vegas Golden Knights managed or even, up to the Stanley Cup final, the way the Florida Panthers blueline dealt with pressure, with a hard forecheck, with the cycle of other teams — with the other components such as shot blocking, stick-positioning and gap control. The usual definitions that make defencemen great.

What is Treliving, the new general manager, to make of Jake McCabe, for example?

So here you are, Treliving, and you want to make the Leafs better, and you’re studying your video, and you’re talking to your staff, and you want to make certain that this 100-plus point team can actually challenge somebody for something in the post-season — not wilt away like they did against Florida — and not only do you need to upgrade on defence, but just as importantly, you need to accurately assess what you have.

Sometimes a general manager just doesn’t know.
for perspective 2021-2022 Champion Defense.

1687282470707.png

2022-2023 Champion Defense
1687282636041.png

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

The summer goalie carousel will be upon us once again soon enough.

Connor Hellebuyck, John Gibson, Carter Hart and Mackenzie Blackwood could potentially all be dealt, for starters.
We’ll see how those scenarios play out especially closer to the draft in Nashville next week.

The Hellebuyck situation looms large over everything. No goalie on the market will have more impact on his new team more than the Vezina Trophy finalist. But also understanding that he’s looking for Andrei Vasilevskiy-esque money on his next deal (Hellebuyck has one year left on his current contract) is the complicating factor in whatever trade could materialize.

I would also point out that for all the rumored trade talk of Juuse Saros and, I mean, he would be an unreal acquisition for any team, my sense is Predators GM Barry Trotz would need to be overwhelmed by an offer to truly move him. It doesn’t mean it can’t happen, Trotz has to listen given where the Predators are in re-tooling their roster, but he’s not out there shopping him and I suspect it’s more likely he stays put.

The Leafs, meanwhile, have shown interest in re-signing pending RFA Ilya Samsonov. So long as both sides can figure out the sweet spot, looks like he’ll be back in Toronto.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton

The summer goalie carousel will be upon us once again soon enough.

Connor Hellebuyck, John Gibson, Carter Hart and Mackenzie Blackwood could potentially all be dealt, for starters.
We’ll see how those scenarios play out especially closer to the draft in Nashville next week.

The Hellebuyck situation looms large over everything. No goalie on the market will have more impact on his new team more than the Vezina Trophy finalist. But also understanding that he’s looking for Andrei Vasilevskiy-esque money on his next deal (Hellebuyck has one year left on his current contract) is the complicating factor in whatever trade could materialize.

I would also point out that for all the rumored trade talk of Juuse Saros and, I mean, he would be an unreal acquisition for any team, my sense is Predators GM Barry Trotz would need to be overwhelmed by an offer to truly move him. It doesn’t mean it can’t happen, Trotz has to listen given where the Predators are in re-tooling their roster, but he’s not out there shopping him and I suspect it’s more likely he stays put.

The Leafs, meanwhile, have shown interest in re-signing pending RFA Ilya Samsonov. So long as both sides can figure out the sweet spot, looks like he’ll be back in Toronto.
Ideally I'd want Hellebuyck over Saaros but i think we cant really go wrong with either of them.

I think we are not going to be able to get Carter Hart though, likely is going to be cost us a lot. Funny enough I think the senators will likely do something with Debrincat.

You can never have enough goalies apparently.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
Aside from the 12 goals McCabe was on for, veteran Mark Giordano was scored on 11 times, the pending free agent Justin Holl 10 times, and the barely playing Timothy Liljegren was on for nine goals against. The Leafs couldn’t handle the physical nature of the Panthers. And in the Cup final, the worn-down Panthers couldn’t handle the Golden Knights.

Lilly didn't have the strongest post-season but that stat is wrong. He was on for 3 GA.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Hanifin's best season is 48 points and you would play him in front of Morgan Rielly? Also where is McCabe? Did he pass away? ;)

Being a puck mover doesn’t mean points. It means he’s good at exiting his zone. I completely forgot about McCabe. But McCabe can also play the right side so we can move him around.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Being a puck mover doesn’t mean points. It means he’s good at exiting his zone. I completely forgot about McCabe. But McCabe can also play the right side so we can move him around.
I don't know. I think I like Rielly more than the idea of Hanifin. His two black eyes in the first round was enough for me.

Can you show me a pic of Hanifin with 2 black eyes or blood coming from his face. If you can I might reconsider.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
According to Nick Kypreos:

- the T.J. Brodie buyout speculation is right out of left field

- there is value in trading T.J. Brodie this season

- you can get a top prospect or maybe a 2nd round draft pick in exchange for T.J. Brodie at the NHL trade deadline

- to buyout T.J. Brodie is crazy

- Toronto Maple Leafs GM Brad Treliving is trying to find a way to create more salary cap space

- Treliving has to find a way to free up some more money

- Treliving wants to re-sign Noel Acciari, Ryan O’Reilly and Luke Schenn

- the Toronto Maple Leafs have to make a decision on Auston Matthews soon

- will the Toronto Maple Leafs have to pay William Nylander $10 million per year in order to retain his services?

- if the Toronto Maple Leafs don't feel comfortable with the Auston Matthews situation, then Ryan O’Reilly becomes very important for them

- there are very few desirable NHL free agent centres this offseason

- 50% chance that Noel Acciari and Luke Schenn are back with the Toronto Maple Leafs

- $2.0 million to $2.5 million per year for Luke Schenn?

- a team will value Luke Schenn in the following ways:

• pay Luke Schenn $2.5 million per year to get into the playoffs

• pay Luke Schenn $1.8 million to $2.0 million per year to try and win the Stanley Cup

- Noel Acciari and Luke Schenn might ask the Toronto Maple Leafs for a 3-to-4-year contract

- will Ryan O’Reilly sign with the Colorado Avalanche and slide into Gabriel Landeskog’s second line centre spot?

- the biggest danger is that the Toronto Maple Leafs look the same as last year

Last edited:

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
did an intereesting exercise i wanted to visualize the next three years ... so right now (not counting robertson)

Space 9,940,217
open spots for lineup - 5 forwards
available per forward - 1.988 million

24/25 - i did projections at matthews 13.5, nylander 9, liljegren 3.5
Space on 87.5 cap - 25.2 million
open spots for lineup - 6 forwards / 2 defence / 1 goalie
available per player - 2.8 million

25/26 - projection at marner 12.5, knies 3.5, timmins 2, woll 2.5
space on 91.5 cap - 35.4 million
open spots for lineup - 7 forwards / 3 defence / 1 goalie
available per player - 3.22 million

it's interesting as the need for impact middle players drastically goes up to have this team compete, in 24/25 say we add one impact player for 7 million - that drops down the available to 2.275 again per player and in 25/26 down to 2.84 per player. if you want to carry extra players (so say 3 spares this number decreases as well - say we carry one spare F and one spare D
currently - 1.42 per player
24/25 - 2.29 per player
25/26 - 2.72 per player
add impact player at 7 million plus carry extra F and D
currently - 490K per player
24/25 - 1.82 per player
25/26 - 2.37 per player
currently.png
24-25.png
25-26.png

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
It wasn't a report - it emerged from a journalist speculating on what the team could do in terms of offseason options
I don’t see buying out Brodie unless you have something way better in mind (or available). As it stands now, I think all of our D need to be pushed down a rung on the depth chart to get stronger. So keeping the best of the bunch and improving above that is key.

Reactions: Menzinger

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
I still think Lilly has the potential to figure it out. Keefe made some incredibly stupid decision with Holl and kept him in instead of god damn Lily or anyone else for that matter tbh.
you mean like when he Paired Holl and Lilly, and had Lilly on the Left side, which he's never done in his career in a playoff game, and there was a goal on that shift too, Holl's fault though, as usual.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
I don’t see buying out Brodie unless you have something way better in mind (or available). As it stands now, I think all of our D need to be pushed down a rung on the depth chart to get stronger. So keeping the best of the bunch and improving above that is key.
Brodie is a very tradeable asset ...he'd get a 1st at the deadline for sure, but, we want his cap $$ now for a replacement, not to carry him even if the return would be higher.
Heck, we could use Brodie to move up some spots in the draft, like Brodie and 28 to Minn for 21
Minn is likely going to need defenders as there a likely to lose 2 top 4 d-men in Dumba and Klingberg

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
did an intereesting exercise i wanted to visualize the next three years ... so right now (not counting robertson)

Space 9,940,217
open spots for lineup - 5 forwards
available per forward - 1.988 million

24/25 - i did projections at matthews 13.5, nylander 9, liljegren 3.5
Space on 87.5 cap - 25.2 million
open spots for lineup - 6 forwards / 2 defence / 1 goalie
available per player - 2.8 million

25/26 - projection at marner 12.5, knies 3.5, timmins 2, woll 2.5
space on 91.5 cap - 35.4 million
open spots for lineup - 7 forwards / 3 defence / 1 goalie
available per player - 3.22 million

it's interesting as the need for impact middle players drastically goes up to have this team compete, in 24/25 say we add one impact player for 7 million - that drops down the available to 2.275 again per player and in 25/26 down to 2.84 per player. if you want to carry extra players (so say 3 spares this number decreases as well - say we carry one spare F and one spare D
currently - 1.42 per player
24/25 - 2.29 per player
25/26 - 2.72 per player
add impact player at 7 million plus carry extra F and D
currently - 490K per player
24/25 - 1.82 per player
25/26 - 2.37 per playerView attachment 719539View attachment 719540View attachment 719541
FYI, it'll be a lot easier to read if you keep players the same colour throughout when they appear on multiple graphs.

It's also too difficult to project past next year. Somebody can breakout/decline a lot in the next year and then receive a raise or be looked at as a trade/buy out candidate.

In addition, a few minimum salary players (Marlies or any vet that follows the Giordano/Spezza path) makes it so that we have quite a bit of $ to fill out the roster.

The biggest need is to sign the big 3 forwards to reasonable caphits and (as importantly) long contracts. They're all young enough we shouldn't see a big decline in play at the end of 7 or 8yr contracts. However, we don't want to have to re-sign them in 3-4 years to even higher contract amounts.

We need to ice the best team we can the next 2 years with the understanding that our cap gets a lot more flexible in 2 years (post JT's 11m contract).

Brodie is a very tradeable asset ...he'd get a 1st at the deadline for sure, but, we want his cap $$ now for a replacement, not to carry him even if the return would be higher.
Heck, we could use Brodie to move up some spots in the draft, like Brodie and 28 to Minn for 21
Minn is likely going to need defenders as there a likely to lose 2 top 4 d-men in Dumba and Klingberg
Moving Brodie doesn't improve our team... he's signed for a reasonable contract and we would either have to (likely) overpay a UFA or trade assets for his replacement.

We have enough room to add to our defense and next year (when his buyout penalty is 2.5m) is going to be much more cap restrictive than this year if we renew Matthews and Nylander (which we will definitely attempt to do).

Edit: To add, I think theres a definite possibility that Brodie could replace Giordano the following year as a good value contract (not less than 1m, but maybe 2-3m?).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad