Post-Game Talk: 2023-2024 Leafs Roster/Changes/Turnovers & Replacement(s)

Status
Not open for further replies.

the Mighty Oak

May 13, 2023
Reilly McCabe Liljegren are solid

Schenn as #6 is good leaving a #2 and 4/5

OEL on the cheap fills the 4/5

Reilly
McCabe Liljegren
OEL Schenn
Liljegren is still a bottom 6 in my eyes. He was a healthy scratch going into the playoffs last year and the only reason he got in was because of holl bad play.

Reactions: Duffman955

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
This is extremely wrong
Loose puck battles were just awful in the playoffs this year. They looked like they tried to win them their bodies wouldnt allow it.

Not just those two but the entire teams is slow.

Peace Frog

“Go on, say your thing man”
Jun 18, 2009
Pesce, Hanifin and re-signing Schenn would go a long way to upgrading our D corps.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
OEL can't even play on the Nucks who got one of the worst defence in the league. Why would he all of a sudden become solid playing on the Leafs.
Lets not kid ourselves that OEL is the modern day version of Murphy where joining the Wings made him looked great VS being on the Leafs and that Nucks is the 90s version of Leafs and we are the 90s version of Wings.

Mayfield is interesting but he will be too expensive.
I think this year UFA class will all be expensive due to not having top end quality players, thus those at the top will get a huge bump in salaries.

Reactions: Buds17

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I was comparing the situation that Dubis was left with. and what the new GM is left with now. since the guy i replied to thinks the Marlo contract was a massive issue when the team was not even a legit contender.
It wasn’t an issue until Dubas made it one.

OT - whenever I see your name I think of the legendary @mooseOak.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
Yeah, he seems like he's 2/3 years away from being reliable defensively and can play against anybody.
One thing we can't say is that he isn't physical capable of being that player. I always thought Liljegren's path of development was going to be slower. Someone who looked as confused and tentative during his early auditions shouldn't be expected to be a fast riser. He's about where I expected him to be at this age excepting those extended stretches when he has looked like he has finally figured it all out. He's only just turned 24. He's healthy (apparently), a good skater and solidly built. He's not Travis Dermott. Better years are ahead of him.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Team should be a legit contender right now. Back then, there were just finishing a rebuild. The Big Three are five years better right now. and in their prime.

Weird that they kept spending at the deadline when they were rebuilding.

the Mighty Oak

May 13, 2023
Weird that they kept spending at the deadline when they were rebuilding.
It was minor. and it benefited all the young players they had on the team at the time. They gained playoff experience as teenagers and the winning culture in the organization.

Hoglund4MvP

Jan 26, 2022
Liljegren is still a bottom 6 in my eyes. He was a healthy scratch going into the playoffs last year and the only reason he got in was because of holl bad play.
Liljegren would have been our worst defenceman in second half of the season even If you brought aki berg back from retirement. What a total shit show. Holl was light years ahead of him and he sucked too

Reactions: the Mighty Oak

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
from the hotstove

While I have nothing against Kerfoot as a player, he’s an eminently replaceable forward in my view, something the team should’ve realized last summer when they had the chance to sell high when Kerfoot was coming off an unsustainably good point total and an asset could’ve been returned (+ opening up cap space). Alas, they missed their opportunity and now Kerfoot will likely (based on reports) walk for nothing.

That is still the correct call. There is no need to hang on to every replaceable forward, and again, I’d like to see a general shake-up in the bottom six with more players who can contribute offensively and ideally with more goal-scoring ability. That’s the opposite of Kerfoot, who averaged just 1.4 shots on goal per game in his career as a Maple Leaf (and he shot under 10% on those!). It’s time for a change here, in your author’s view

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I think Lily, McCabe, Timmins and Brodie could be all traded for positive returns.

A fair case can be made for a Brodie trade if Treliving looks to shake up the D core in particular. Ideally he could be moved for a guy to fill the 3C role
You might be surprised to hear but Frank Seravalli on his Pod cast discussed the other day about a potential buyout of TJ Brodie for the very reason of Leafs new GM wanted to change up the Dcore and too many locked in contracts for next year.

The reason the buyout was discussed is because as mentioned earlier Brodie has a backloaded contract that pays him $7.5 mil in real dollars and in the last year of his contract so not easy to move but more beneficial to buyout.

Here is that reference.

1687185709543.png

1687185831132.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad