Post-Game Talk: GAME 6 - Hockey Club 2 BRUINS 1 F OT

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Two thing are pretty obvious with this team right now;

1) They cannot skate. At all. I had the Utah feed and the announcers were going on and on about how big and imposing the Bruins are with x guys on the roster 6"3 or taller. I never really thought about it and at first i was like "f*** yeah that's what they do" then my brain immediately went "no wait, that's not a good thing" upon realization the majority of the giants on this roster have zero skill to speak of. You can have these guys and win, no one is going to argue that. Hell their 4th line has been their best line to start the year. But the problem becomes when these guys start to clog up the majority of your top 9. Utah f***ing skated circles around them all night and it's apparent to everyone not named Don or Cam that shockingly, big and slow doesn't work in today's game. If you're going to be big and slow, at least push the other team around for god's sake.

2) To further elaborate on point one, this team has a painfully obvious lack of skill. They did before after Bergeron and Krejci called it quits, but i think it somehow got worse in the offseason. Marchand and Pastrnak are the team's two best skill guys. Both guys have started like shit and suddenly the entire offense goes silent. Guys like Lindholm, Coyle and Zacha obviously aren't bums but like, you need the rest of your top 6 to pick up the slack when there's gaps in production. The rest of the roster are all essentially clones of the same player; sandpaper types that have oodles of grit but little else. Geekie, Frederic, Brazeau, Kastelic, Beecher, Koepke. No serious team is playing Brazeau in the top 6 like Boston did tonight. Poitras i won't be too harsh on. He's still a kid.

Power play is beyond horrendous. It hasn't really been the same since Krug left for St. Louis but now it's bad to the point it goes beyond personnel.

You could have tried something to address this in the offseason. Maybe keep DeBrusk, maybe look for an actual top 6 forward somewhere else. Instead, Sweeney chooses to give 5+ million to Nikita Zadorov because he heard the name "Big Z" and probably assumed he was getting late 2000s Zdeno Chara.

Speed kills. Look at all the upper echelon teams in the league right now. Dallas has it in spades, so does New Jersey. Shit even the Jets have more skill in their top 6 as a whole than the Bruins do.

Last edited:

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Mixed feelings about this one. On the one hand, Utah outworked the Bruins and played like a more cohesive team. They generated more chances. But on the other, the Bruins actually had more high quality chances, the defense on the whole is gradually improving (albeit let down by more lapses in the 3rd) and the game was very much there to be won with a period to go. A point on the road, against a team that's decent and seemingly on the up, is never to be sniffed at.

I'm not as gloom and doom as some here seem to be. The team is 3-2-1 and very much staying in the mix in their division while in the process of trying to reinvent itself with quite a different-looking roster. Yes they're disjointed and some of their play is really sloppy or lacking effort/intensity, but there are some positives to build on too.

My concern is more whether this roster is built properly. I fear there is a mismatch between the way they need to play to be effective and the mentality and culture of the players and the locker room as a whole. This team is short on speed and raw talent. What they are is big and for the most part quite experienced. But to make use of that size they need to play tough, gritty, physical and mean. Dump and chase, bodies to the net, force the opposition into mistakes. Simple, hard-working hockey with an edge. But look at these guys. McAvoy, Carlo, Pasta, Coyle, Beecher and Lohrei don't have a mean bone in their bodies. Frederic was feisty when he was young and looking to make an impression, but he's a teddy bear at heart. Zacha of all people seems to understand the need to step up the nasty, but it's not natural to him. Sway has moxie, but he's the goalie. I just don't see them being able to play 'big and bad'. It's not in them. And if they can't do that, is a big and slow-ish roster going to be able to take it up to the very best teams in the league?

I don't think the team has been well-coached so far this year. Not liking quite a lot of what we've seen from Monty, and I don't believe he's yet got a handle on how to get this kind of lineup working. He's more visibly grumpy, and I understand why, but I'm not sure he's dealing with it constructively. But I still remind myself we need to patient. Only 6 games in. Long way to go. This really is a different team to what the Bruins have had for a long time. It was never going to click overnight. As a team more built for playoff hockey, it's going to be more difficult for it to find its rhythm in the regular season. We saw that from the Panthers when they changed their approach two years ago, and that turned out pretty well. But it took some stumbles on the way there. The Bruins need to stick at it and some senior guys need to have a look at themselves in the mirror and step up. Need to see a bit more yet before any major shakeup moves are considered.

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
Mixed feelings about this one. On the one hand, Utah outworked the Bruins and played like a more cohesive team. They generated more chances. But on the other, the Bruins actually had more high quality chances, the defense on the whole is gradually improving (albeit let down by more lapses in the 3rd) and the game was very much there to be won with a period to go. A point on the road, against a team that's decent and seemingly on the up, is never to be sniffed at.

I'm not as gloom and doom as some here seem to be. The team is 3-2-1 and very much staying in the mix in their division while in the process of trying to reinvent itself with quite a different-looking roster. Yes they're disjointed and some of their play is really sloppy or lacking effort/intensity, but there are some positives to build on too.

My concern is more whether this roster is built properly. I fear there is a mismatch between the way they need to play to be effective and the mentality and culture of the players and the locker room as a whole. This team is short on speed and raw talent. What they are is big and for the most part quite experienced. But to make use of that size they need to play tough, gritty, physical and mean. Dump and chase, bodies to the net, force the opposition into mistakes. Simple, hard-working hockey with an edge. But look at these guys. McAvoy, Carlo, Pasta, Coyle, Beecher and Lohrei don't have a mean bone in their bodies. Frederic was feisty when he was young and looking to make an impression, but he's a teddy bear at heart. Zacha of all people seems to understand the need to step up the nasty, but it's not natural to him. Sway has moxie, but he's the goalie. I just don't see them being able to play 'big and bad'. It's not in them. And if they can't do that, is a big and slow-ish roster going to be able to take it up to the very best teams in the league?

I don't think the team has been well-coached so far this year. Not liking quite a lot of what we've seen from Monty, and I don't believe he's yet got a handle on how to get this kind of lineup working. He's more visibly grumpy, and I understand why, but I'm not sure he's dealing with it constructively. But I still remind myself we need to patient. Only 6 games in. Long way to go. This really is a different team to what the Bruins have had for a long time. It was never going to click overnight. As a team more built for playoff hockey, it's going to be more difficult for it to find its rhythm in the regular season. We saw that from the Panthers when they changed their approach two years ago, and that turned out pretty well. But it took some stumbles on the way there. The Bruins need to stick at it and some senior guys need to have a look at themselves in the mirror and step up. Need to see a bit more yet before any major shakeup moves are considered.
When I can't watch a game, I always look for your posts, they are always so rational. Actually even when I do watch, I look for your opinion since it is always so well thought out and less emotional than a lot of the posts.

I don't think I will bother watching it this morning, sounds like it was frustrating! Thanks for your summaries!

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
When I can't watch a game, I always look for your posts, they are always so rational. Actually even when I do watch, I look for your opinion since it is always so well thought out and less emotional than a lot of the posts.

I don't think I will bother watching it this morning, sounds like it was frustrating! Thanks for your summaries!

Thank-you and you're welcome! I try to be even-handed. Don't always succeed. This current team I'm still trying to understand and get a real feel for, but then so are the players. The regular season simply started too early for them, in a lot of ways, but there is time to sort things out. Only have to look at the Avs and Preds to know that if you're even a little bit off or caught behind, this league will punish you quickly.

And yeah, this wasn't the worst game, and in real-time it was passably watchable, but I wouldn't go out of my way to view it after the fact. Neither team could really take it to a higher level and there were no stand-out plays or much to take note of from the Bruins. 4th line continues to excel, that's about it. They get another opportunity on Tuesday. Can only look forward to that and hope for better.

Reactions: caz16

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I like these new goal simulations. Very handy. Case in point, a still from Utah's goal in regulation (the puck is the black dot at center ice heading towards #52):

1729418921631.png

What is Carlo doing here? Lindholm already has the left of the ice covered, the other Lindy and Zacha are also converging on the puck carrier on that side. Why then is Brandon's initial movement to the left, bringing the two D together and opening up acres of space on the right against a rush coming with some speed? Zero need for it and it makes no sense. Blown coverage and flat-footedness and the puck's in their net.

I've been a pretty strong supporter of Carlo over the years. He was mostly excellent last season. So far this season though he's just not right. No idea what's wrong but the lights aren't all on in his head. He's an important player and his struggles are having a pretty sizeable impact. Has to find a way to improve.

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH
Carlo had a strong year, last season, but overall, post concussions, he has been prone to long passages of "WTF" you doings. His positional play and decision making go in slumps, which is not good for a player, not old, but getting older. D Men are supposed to mature later, but to good Good Brandon, Bad Brandon, so often is not a good sign. The thinking part of the game should not regress.

I for one would be looking at a major trade of some kind to wake the team up. Not sure who, but the kind that might offend people with binky's.

March is still elusive, but his ability to make his own shot or when to shoot has disappeared since late last year. Injury history aside, he is a warrior, he may be approaching cooked.

Pasta is one of the best finishers in the game, but really has no one to help give him space to shoot.
The one timer on the PP is dried up. He's over played by the other team.

The rest of the team, other than the top 3 and Marsh, are muckers. Yet aside from the wonderful surprise of a 4th line, they all try to play "cutesy" with the puck.

How many outlet passes to nowhere were there last night. No one looks, they pass to what appears to be expectation.

Monty's days are numbered if you ask me. Don't confuse patience with paralysis.

Last edited:

bme44

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2010
Nova Scotia
-Swayman was great
-4th line was great
-D was okay aside from Carlo playing spectator on the tying goal
-Top 9 is a mess
-Powerplay is a mess
-Pasta still playing preseason hockey
-Marchand looks his age

Did I miss anything?
Frederic who is still thinks this is the off season. IMO he has been the most disappointing forward on the team

Reactions: capecodder

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
They don’t start on time enough

Monty very good hockey guy, very nice but it’s a comfortable group

Sacco Magic = June parade

Reactions: LouJersey

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be

I agree with this, I watch the game either live or recorded and then start from the bottom in the PGT and look for Aussie immediately to see if we are on the same page. We are often (not sure that's good for him :) ) but when we aren't I really look into what I missed.

Reactions: Ladyfan and caz16

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Frederic who is still thinks this is the off season. IMO he has been the most disappointing forward on the team
The worst part is I fight regularly with @LSCII in another universe on Frederic ~ and Lonnie is laughing at me

Hurtful

Freddy wake up

I’m giving Monty till Dec 1 before Donny does the inevitable

All there

No contract
Sacco assistant coach elevated to Associate (aka Monty replacement)
Team sluggish

Monty messing up the 22-23 season will always be tough to take for me giving him a break

Even when the Patriots won all those SB the undefeated season catastrophe I still remember the most

Being a sports fan is hard

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
It's tough to watch but they will figure it out. Chemistry is tough to build sometimes and they definitely don't have the line combos right yet. It's frustrating now but I'd rather them struggle early and hit their groove late then fall apart at the end of the season going into the playoffs on wobbly ground.
I agree. There are lots of new guys and sometimes it takes time to develop that chemistry.

It was good to see Sway have a good game. The fourth line is the best the Bs have had in a while.

I thought it was a sloppy game by most both offense and defense.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
I like these new goal simulations. Very handy. Case in point, a still from Utah's goal in regulation (the puck is the black dot at center ice heading towards #52):

View attachment 919004

What is Carlo doing here? Lindholm already has the left of the ice covered, the other Lindy and Zacha are also converging on the puck carrier on that side. Why then is Brandon's initial movement to the left, bringing the two D together and opening up acres of space on the right against a rush coming with some speed? Zero need for it and it makes no sense. Blown coverage and flat-footedness and the puck's in their net.

I've been a pretty strong supporter of Carlo over the years. He was mostly excellent last season. So far this season though he's just not right. No idea what's wrong but the lights aren't all on in his head. He's an important player and his struggles are having a pretty sizeable impact. Has to find a way to improve.
Great stuff

Carlo has had an odd year - he was arguably their best player in the Florida matinee

I know it wasn’t me seeing this a group went to North End after to eat and it was brought up Carlo looked really good after some very up and down play first 3 games

I’d still just keep with 27

Eventually they stick

I think the group as a whole has tuned Monty out ~ I think they like him but never loved him

They may be to good to get a change though- Sinden would definitely make a change because the roster is better then they are getting out of

Utah had guys I’ve watched for years play out of their mind last night and barely got 2 points

Bruins are likely 100 point team as is but they need a change like Morgan Magic in 1988 with Red Sox

Monty is a much nicer version of John McNamara but results will be the same immediately imo

They left 3 points on the table this past 6 days

All show the message isn’t being followed

Reactions: KWbruin

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Might have been the sloppiest hockey game I’ve seen them play in a decade. Next game maybe try using hockey sticks instead of ringette sticks or whatever the hell they were playing with tonight. Just brutal.
It was sloppy. Most of the team were guilty.

The PP needs to get better.....it SHOULD be better.

nORRis8

The NHL, the stupidest League ever.
Sep 16, 2015
RedDeer, Alberta
Coyle skating "hard" to keep up then giving up and coasting while Koepke and Marchy raced up ice to pop one in..... revealing.

Nice to see him hurry over for the goal celly.👍

duffy

Feb 12, 2006
They could, but I don't believe they will play with 14 forwards long term, so someone else will have to go.

I just don't believe that a tiny 35 year old who has been awful the past couple years is a magic solution to their problems.
L

I asked in the roster thread the other day what do you have to add to Geekie to bring Heinen home
Not a T J fan and yes he's old, but he can make and take a pass, so that alone puts him ahead of everyone not on the 4th line!

Reactions: KillerMillerTime

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I honestly believe it will get better, but some things need to change. There is no way the pp should be so bad.

We are so spoiled with the start of the last couple of seasons.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Pasta is the symbol of how this team is playing

They are all playing a grade or half a grade below what they should be

The A students are on cruise control and getting A- or B’s…..the B students are getting C’s

There is a complete lack of urgency

Young, got their contracts, married, kids now or soon~ get a 100 points, beat the Leafs, lose in round 2….spend June visiting parents

It’s routine. It’s a cycle. It’s comfort.

Life is good

But I want a Bruins parade in June

Monty Magic, Donny!!!!!

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
Not so sure Leach is ready for the job. This team should be much better, they need a guy who has been there, done that. I'm looking at Mike Sullivan but unfortunately he's not going anywhere.
Gerard Gallant? Not sure.
I want a guy who's won a Cup.
I'm leery of OJT guys.
This team has too much invested to be this poorly coached.
I think Gallant would light a fire under these guys butts, Monty is too much of a players coach, I don't see him as the guy to get hard on players when a coach needs to. Leach is great as he is an assistant. I would let Monty, Sacco and Kelly go.

Reactions: duffy

bme44

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2010
Nova Scotia
I honestly believe it will get better, but some things need to change. There is no way the pp should be so bad.

We are so spoiled with the start of the last couple of seasons.
As whole the team is playing tight, they lack flow to there game. Is this on the coaching staff or the players ??
It is time to make changes to the personal on the pp. First move replace 73 with 6.

Reactions: duffy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad