Post-Game Talk: 2023-2024 Leafs Roster/Changes/Turnovers & Replacement(s)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

6. One Toronto source said something very interesting on Thursday: the true tell to whether the Maple Leafs core stays together is more about their contract wishes than anything else. As I’ve said many times, I believe Matthews will extend, but not at maximum term (could be anywhere from three to six years, I’d guess). Treliving’s true challenge is trying to get it done before July 1, when his no-trade clause kicks in. It’s going to be a big number, likely the highest AAV in the NHL. So, the question then becomes: what does that mean for Mitch Marner and William Nylander? I think that’s the real question.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Marner pratically had 1 pts/60 over at 5v5 than nylander both regular season and playoff last 2 and we didn't talk about defensive impact... just just same kind of scoring stats, just with defensive impact of marner, his impact is higher than nylander but you had the fact he had a pts/every 60 minutes played over nylander... i just dont know how you cant say Marner had been a better 5v5 player...

And please dont tell me its because hes playing with tavares... yes hes overpay but still a pretty good player. We dont talk like he was playing with kampf and lafferty in a top 6

more leafs reach playoff year after year and worst Nylander was at 5v5. For me, its something extremely concerning because its starting with a huge lack of commitment in defenside side or on forecheck

So yes and after you talking about even strenght but even strenght mean 3v3, 4v4, 6v5 too so when you having more space on the ice ... kind of situation who will not happen if ref stop calling penalty in playoff...

If you take serie vs florida 20 penalty had been calling...so avering 10 pp by team 2 pp by game... so at best 4 min of pp and few time at 4v4 or 6v5.... so about +/- 5 min/ game leafs will play situation where nylander is in situation where hes better and 55 min where marner is a better player
Yes, you can't see it and keep trying to change the story every time I show you're wrong, so I won't waste any more time.

Again - THE END.

Reactions: Arzak and Racer88

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007

6. One Toronto source said something very interesting on Thursday: the true tell to whether the Maple Leafs core stays together is more about their contract wishes than anything else. As I’ve said many times, I believe Matthews will extend, but not at maximum term (could be anywhere from three to six years, I’d guess). Treliving’s true challenge is trying to get it done before July 1, when his no-trade clause kicks in. It’s going to be a big number, likely the highest AAV in the NHL. So, the question then becomes: what does that mean for Mitch Marner and William Nylander? I think that’s the real question.
If he wants that, trade him. Why would we pay more for the same failure?

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
If he wants that, trade him. Why would we pay more for the same failure?
Because Toronto are not rebuilding. They are in a win now situation. They are too good and too talented not to go back to the post season again. Toronto has no centers coming through the pipeline. It's inevitable that one or two of the "4-core" would have to be moved due to JT, and an AM raise. I'm like you. I want blood. Matthews is not my fave Leaf. What choice is there. It's unrealistic to think we are going to tank now.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

6. One Toronto source said something very interesting on Thursday: the true tell to whether the Maple Leafs core stays together is more about their contract wishes than anything else. As I’ve said many times, I believe Matthews will extend, but not at maximum term (could be anywhere from three to six years, I’d guess).
Treliving’s true challenge is trying to get it done before July 1, when his no-trade clause kicks in. It’s going to be a big number, likely the highest AAV in the NHL. So, the question then becomes: what does that mean for Mitch Marner and William Nylander? I think that’s the real question.

Excuse me?

They can't get it done before July 1st.

Unless they mean they have good discussions before July 1st., but they can't get it done.

July 1st. everything changes, as Matthews will decide at that point if he wants to stay regardless of what discussions they have before July 1st.

They have to trade him before July 1st., or have faith that he signs.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Excuse me?

Unless they mean they have good discussions before July 1st., but they can't get it done.

July 1st. everything changes, as Matthews will decide at that point if he wants to stay regardless of what discussions they have before July 1st.

or just signed him to a pre-dated contract.

• Haha
Reactions: ULF_55

jiggy35

Jun 26, 2012
I've heard variations, both include a Top defender, one includes a young top forward.

One was Slavin one was Pesce.
It’s interesting. Slavic seems super unlikely. Source?

Edit: Pesce + TT would be a good base … with like at least 2 1sts or top prospect from Carolina as well

Last edited:

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
I've heard variations, both include a Top defender, one includes a young top forward.

Slavin and Pesce are not really comparable.
its not quite Reilly vs Holl difference, but, its a pretty big gap
kinda like Hedman vs Cernak ...while Cernak is very good and valuable to the team, he's no Hedman

Reactions: jiggy35

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015

It's pretty unbelievable that Matthews will get a raise to the highest paid player in the league after a pretty poor season by his standards.

The cap rise coming soon better be big as this team has already struggled with depth, if guys like Matthews and Marner resign for even more money this team will be f***ed

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
Excuse me?

You need a handshake agreement on term and dollars by June 15th otherwise things get real nuts.

Reactions: myleafs

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018

Makes sense in general .. Mitch to canes for Slavin, Jarvis and a 2023 pick .. gives Canes more offense and gives us more defense and a couple young guys one of whom can play today .. plus free up CAP space to add more of what we need in playoffs

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Slavin and Pesce are not really comparable.
its not quite Reilly vs Holl difference, but, its a pretty big gap
kinda like Hedman vs Cernak ...while Cernak is very good and valuable to the team, he's no Hedman

That was in the rumour/proposal/discussion ... that's why the one indicated a top young forward with defender X, and not with defender Y.
It wasn't from anyone inside the Leafs/'Canes, but seemed to have been brought to life after discussion about what the 'Canes had to do to get over the hump.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
That was in the rumour/proposal/discussion ... that's why the one indicated a top young forward with defender X, and not with defender Y.
It wasn't from anyone inside the Leafs/'Canes, but seemed to have been brought to life after discussion about what the 'Canes had to do to get over the hump.
the young forward is likely Necas, or Jarvis ...both look really good but Jarvis has had pretty bad puck luck (could be lack of finishing touch).

I couldnt imagine getting a player of that quality & Slavin back, even for Marner.
However, if it were one of those 2, and Pesce, that would be a deal we would almost have to make.

Necas would be the obvious target as a bigger C, who could slot in at #2 but, also why the Canes would want to exclude him.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I could have been the GM inheriting what Dubas inherited and they wouldn't have missed the playoffs.

That may be true, just corrected the poster who said otherwise

Although I think maybe they're referring to the COVID shortened season where they technically didn't make it past the qualifying round against a non playoff team

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Because Toronto are not rebuilding. They are in a win now situation. They are too good and too talented not to go back to the post season again. Toronto has no centers coming through the pipeline. It's inevitable that one or two of the "4-core" would have to be moved due to JT, and an AM raise. I'm like you. I want blood. Matthews is not my fave Leaf. What choice is there. It's unrealistic to think we are going to tank now.
I didn't suggest "tanking" at all. I suggested that Matthews is a playoff loser that ain't worth what he is paid, let alone a raise.

Which is true.

Trade him and use the cap space and returns for playoff ready players.

Excuse me?

Yup.

Reactions: Bomber0104

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Makes sense in general .. Mitch to canes for Slavin, Jarvis and a 2023 pick .. gives Canes more offense and gives us more defense and a couple young guys one of whom can play today .. plus free up CAP space to add more of what we need in playoffs

Works for me.

Boston 1st, Brodie, Murray to Arizona for Jack McBain
Sign Bertuzzi, Comtois, Acciari, Schenn, RoR as UFA
Extend Holmberg, Samsanov

I'm still at $9.3 mil in cap space... with 22 players signed....

Reactions: JT AM da real deal
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad