Post-Game Talk: 2023-2024 Leafs Roster/Changes/Turnovers & Replacement(s)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere

6. One Toronto source said something very interesting on Thursday: the true tell to whether the Maple Leafs core stays together is more about their contract wishes than anything else. As I’ve said many times, I believe Matthews will extend, but not at maximum term (could be anywhere from three to six years, I’d guess). Treliving’s true challenge is trying to get it done before July 1, when his no-trade clause kicks in. It’s going to be a big number, likely the highest AAV in the NHL. So, the question then becomes: what does that mean for Mitch Marner and William Nylander? I think that’s the real question.

Frankly, we shouldn't bring Matthews back if he insists on being the highest paid player in the NHL.

There's zero argument as far as I'm concerned for him to be paid more than McDavid or MacKinnon.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

2. Connor Hellebuyck

Goaltender, Winnipeg Jets

Stats: 64 GP, 2.49 GAA, .920 Sv%

Contract: 1 more season, $6.17 million AAV

Scoop: While weighing Hellebuyck’s future in Winnipeg, including whether or not he wants to re-sign with the Jets, there has to be a tempting tilt toward cashing in on Hellebuyck’s high value. He is one of the most consistently excellent netminders playing one of the most fickle positions in pro sports. Hellebuyck is coming off a season that rivaled only his 2019-20 campaign that garnered him the Vezina Trophy, and he was voted a finalist again this season for the third time in six years. He’s in his prime, under a manageable cap hit for one more year, and could vault a roster into serious contender contention. Los Angeles, New Jersey, Ottawa, Toronto, Carolina, Pittsburgh and Vegas all have openings based on play or contractual status.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

It’s not just about the core four.

Brad Treliving was sure to make that clear when he was introduced as general manager of the Maple Leafs on Thursday.

“This is about the Toronto Maple Leafs,” Treliving said. “It’s not about four players, not about two, it’s not about one.

“It’s about the 23 guys that we’re going to have in this organization.”

Still, the 18th GM in Leafs history has probably narrowed that number down to a specific area where he wants to make improvements.

Still, the Leafs won’t return completely as they were when they lost to Florida. A bolstering of the blue line is possible.

Morgan Rielly, the longest-serving current Leaf, can be the top guy as he heads into the second season of an eight-year contract, but he’s going to have to replicate his impact in the playoffs in an attempt to leave an inconsistent regular season behind. Rielly is capable of doing that.

Of the five other Leafs defencemen under contract, only two — Jake McCabe and Conor Timmins — have security beyond next season.

TJ Brodie and Mark Giordano will be unrestricted next summer, while Timothy Liljegren will be a restricted free agent.

Regarding Giordano, we’re told the veteran has no plans to retire, despite whispers suggesting he might be considering as much. In fact, Giordano, who turns 40 in October, is well into training to prepare for next season.

Brodie has a 10-team no-trade list that goes into effect in July. McCabe has a seven-team no-trade list.

And there remains a chance that Luke Schenn, headed for free agency, could re-sign in Toronto.

While Treliving had a past in Calgary with Brodie and Giordano, he’s really not married to any Leafs defenceman.

Could Liljegren, Timmins or McCabe be traded as part of a package to land something bigger for the blue line? Nothing should be ruled out.

If Treliving figures a true defence stud is required in Toronto, would he use Nylander as a chip? If Treliving is serious about making that kind of addition, wouldn’t a player of Nylander’s stature have to go the other way?

Treliving will inspect the present Leafs roster to the last detail.

We wouldn’t bet against a change of significance on the blue line.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

Kyle Dubas began putting more snarl into the Maple Leafs at the trade deadline for the playoffs, but Brad Treliving seems keen on finishing the project.

During a series of interviews around town following his appointment as new general manager, Treliving bantered about one of his tenets for success in spring — the often elusive “net front presence.”

Not that the Leafs lacked that under Dubas and coach Sheldon Keefe, but two of the Core Four scorers — Mitch Marner and William Nylander — aren’t known for trench warfare, while the path to the Leafs’ cage wasn’t exactly blocked by 300 Spartans.

“With our teams in Calgary, we felt that we could not just respond, but initiate physical challenge,” Treliving told the Real Kyper and Bourne Show. “To me, playing a heavier game and competing heavier is puck battles, winning space at the front of the net.

“As much as our game changes and speed and skill are paramount at this time of year, I feel the two most important areas — and it has been for a long time — are the front of both nets."

“At the end of the day, you are trying to get to mine. How am I going to keep you from it? I am trying to get to yours. How can you keep me from it? Those are things we have to find. We have to look for ways to augment our team.”

“Sometimes that (change in game plan) is not necessarily airlifting people in,” Treliving added.

“It is getting people to adjust how they play, making sure we are getting inside, making sure our puck battles are an area that is the highest priority.”

jiggy35

Jun 26, 2012
Quite prefer the rumoured marner to Hurricanes.
So two variations to the same strategy general strategy:
Both: Orlov (1D), Schenn (2D) Killorn (2W), RoR (3C), Wood (3W), Acciari (3W) as UFA signings
Team A: Hanifin for Nylander; Brodie out for picks
Team B: Slavin + Jarvis for Marner + Brodie

Team A:
Knies - Matthews - Marner
Robertson - Tavares - Killorn
Wood - RoR - Acciari
Lafferty - Holmberg - Jarnkrok

Hanifin - Orlov
Rielly - Schenn
McCabe - Liljegren
Timmins

Samsonov
Woll

Estimated cap space: ~1.5m

Team B:
Knies - Matthews - Nylander
Killorn - Tavares - Jarvis
Wood - RoR - Acciari
Lafferty - Holmberg - Jarnkrok

Slavin - Orlov
Rielly - Schenn
McCabe - Liljegren
Timmins

Samsonov
Woll

Estimated cap space: ~5m

B looks NICE especially with cap flexibility, but more contracts coming up next season.

Reactions: ULF_55

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

“With our teams in Calgary, we felt that we could not just respond, but initiate physical challenge,” Treliving told the Real Kyper and Bourne Show. “To me, playing a heavier game and competing heavier is puck battles, winning space at the front of the net.

“As much as our game changes and speed and skill are paramount at this time of year, I feel the two most important areas — and it has been for a long time — are the front of both nets."

“At the end of the day, you are trying to get to mine. How am I going to keep you from it? I am trying to get to yours. How can you keep me from it? Those are things we have to find. We have to look for ways to augment our team.”

“Sometimes that (change in game plan) is not necessarily airlifting people in,” Treliving added.

“It is getting people to adjust how they play, making sure we are getting inside, making sure our puck battles are an area that is the highest priority.”

And his approach didn't exactly pan out in CaLgary.

Would his team have looked better in the East?

If you were to look at the playoffs in the East this year you would come up with one answer ... Bobrovsky. Prior to last game I believe he had the greatest playoffs run, perhaps of all time.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
Pretty mobile and not afraid to shoot the puck. Definitely needs a good defensive partner like Rielly does.
Yeah.. i guess being a believer in how this team needs to change the way it plays drastically i guess i look past him

He does fit in our current scheme.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
The one argument that is really hard to counter about Matthews is that he's the runaway leader in 5v5 goals per 60 minutes since 2017-18. 1.63 goals per 60 minutes compared to the next highest Ovechkin and Pastrnak (both 1.35).

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land

It’s not just about the core four.

Brad Treliving was sure to make that clear when he was introduced as general manager of the Maple Leafs on Thursday.

“This is about the Toronto Maple Leafs,” Treliving said. “It’s not about four players, not about two, it’s not about one.

“It’s about the 23 guys that we’re going to have in this organization.”

Still, the 18th GM in Leafs history has probably narrowed that number down to a specific area where he wants to make improvements.

Still, the Leafs won’t return completely as they were when they lost to Florida. A bolstering of the blue line is possible.

Morgan Rielly, the longest-serving current Leaf, can be the top guy as he heads into the second season of an eight-year contract, but he’s going to have to replicate his impact in the playoffs in an attempt to leave an inconsistent regular season behind. Rielly is capable of doing that.

Of the five other Leafs defencemen under contract, only two — Jake McCabe and Conor Timmins — have security beyond next season.

TJ Brodie and Mark Giordano will be unrestricted next summer, while Timothy Liljegren will be a restricted free agent.

Regarding Giordano, we’re told the veteran has no plans to retire, despite whispers suggesting he might be considering as much. In fact, Giordano, who turns 40 in October, is well into training to prepare for next season.

Brodie has a 10-team no-trade list that goes into effect in July. McCabe has a seven-team no-trade list.

And there remains a chance that Luke Schenn, headed for free agency, could re-sign in Toronto.

While Treliving had a past in Calgary with Brodie and Giordano, he’s really not married to any Leafs defenceman.

Could Liljegren, Timmins or McCabe be traded as part of a package to land something bigger for the blue line? Nothing should be ruled out.

If Treliving figures a true defence stud is required in Toronto, would he use Nylander as a chip? If Treliving is serious about making that kind of addition, wouldn’t a player of Nylander’s stature have to go the other way?

Treliving will inspect the present Leafs roster to the last detail.

We wouldn’t bet against a change of significance on the blue line.

Supposedly, the main 4 are staying. So, I don't know how you get said defenceman without moving them. Which likely means free agency.

You can definitely see them overspending on Severson for example.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Frankly, we shouldn't bring Matthews back if he insists on being the highest paid player in the NHL.

There's zero argument as far as I'm concerned for him to be paid more than McDavid or MacKinnon.

Yeah, especially if another 5 year deal is happening, as rumored.

I'd be totally fine offering him 8 years and 12.75M AAV. Slightly higher as MacKinnon. Can argue that within itself is an overpayment, but it gives him the highest AAV and the highest ever contract handed out (since the 8 year term limit happened) while we get long-term security. (Matthews also gets long-term security, which should be important given his wrist issues) It's a slight raise, that will be more than covered by the cap increase this summer and next summer before the contract starts.

I also personally look to trade Mitch Marner tomorrow, and set a hard limit of 9.5x8 for Nylander as well.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

Winnipeg Jets

Friedman says the Jets will be listening to offers for forwards Pierre-Luc Dubois and Mark Scheifele and goaltender Connor Hellebuyck, but added that Winnipeg is not willing to throw in the towel on contending.

All three players have one year left on their contracts.

"What I think the Jets have made very clear is this is not going to be a rebuild, they are not tearing it down and they are not starting over again," Friedman said. "Obviously, there could be some futures as part of these trades if it happens but they've got a lot of good players on term contracts and they want to support them."

New Jersey Devils

The Devils could be open to trading the rights to pending unrestricted free agent Damon Severson before July 1 if they can't sign him to an extension, Friedman says.

The Devils kept Severson at the deadline to try to boost their playoff chances.

Severson, 28, had seven goals and 26 assists for 33 points in 81 games this season.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton

Winnipeg Jets

Friedman says the Jets will be listening to offers for forwards Pierre-Luc Dubois and Mark Scheifele and goaltender Connor Hellebuyck, but added that Winnipeg is not willing to throw in the towel on contending.

All three players have one year left on their contracts.

"What I think the Jets have made very clear is this is not going to be a rebuild, they are not tearing it down and they are not starting over again," Friedman said. "Obviously, there could be some futures as part of these trades if it happens but they've got a lot of good players on term contracts and they want to support them."

New Jersey Devils

The Devils could be open to trading the rights to pending unrestricted free agent Damon Severson before July 1 if they can't sign him to an extension, Friedman says.

The Devils kept Severson at the deadline to try to boost their playoff chances.

Severson, 28, had seven goals and 26 assists for 33 points in 81 games this season.
I see helly is on the block...I want him...GIMME HELLYBUCKKK!!!!!!!!!

also no point of going for PLD he is bound for Montreal as soon as FA hits.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Works for me.

Boston 1st, Brodie, Murray to Arizona for Jack McBain
Sign Bertuzzi, Comtois, Acciari, Schenn, RoR as UFA
Extend Holmberg, Samsanov

I'm still at $9.3 mil in cap space... with 22 players signed....
Anyone who wrecks Tinordi gets my approval .. we need a C with size speed and toughness .. but we need to keep our 1st rounder too .. Brodie and Murray good riddance .. add in both bottom end 2023 picks drop 1st rounder

Reactions: Fogelhund

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
If Dubois wanted to sign here:

Helly
PLD

For
Sammy
Marner

…as a base deal with maybe a slight add from Winnipeg is interesting. Dollars are even likely close.

Peace Frog

“Go on, say your thing man”
Jun 18, 2009
What would people think of a trade with Philly where we get Hart and Konecny, for Nylander?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad