Post-Game Talk: 2023-2024 Leafs Roster/Changes/Turnovers & Replacement(s)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

Yet, if you look at how Treliving shaped the Calgary Flames during his nine-year stewardship or examine some throwaway lines in his recent radio appearances, there are clues to where he’d like to steer this vessel.

“Do we look at our defence? Are there ways we can augment that?” Treliving wondered during his appearance on Real Kyper & Bourne.

That could be with personnel and with tactics.

When you consider some of the names Trelving sought for Calgary’s D corps — Noah Hanifin, Dougie Hamilton, Rasmus Andersson, Chris Tanev, Nikita Zadorov, MacKenzie Weegar, Troy Stetcher — you see a list of guys with size, edge, or both.

In Toronto, only Justin Holl and seldom-used Erik Gustafsson are UFAs, so maybe there is a trade to be made on the back end.

Treliving believes firmly in winning battles at both net-fronts, so expect new personnel to thrive in those areas.

The GM also wants his players to initiate, not retaliate. To impose their style of play on the opponent, instead of getting too bogged down trying to crack the enemy’s code.

To force the other team into making mistakes by establishing a relentless checking team.

Harder forechecking. A willingness to grind out lower-scoring wins.

Look no further than the Vegas-Florida final for successful examples.

“There’s no flybys in the playoffs,” Treliving stated.

(Yes, the current Leafs have been guilty of a flyby or two.)

So, while we don’t specifically know whom Treliving will try to acquire this summer, we do have an idea of the brand of hockey player he’ll go hunting for.

And while the conversation will continue to circle around the big names up front, the blue line may be where Treliving stamps his own mark on the next Leafs roster.

P.S. Dream for this, Leafs Nation: Elias Lindholm ($4.85-million cap hit) as Toronto’s second-line centre, allowing John Tavares to play the wing.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
Umm.. done

There would need to be more involved
A lot more cause I don’t believe that doesn’t anything except make us smaller and give us a higher cap hit which frankly we don’t need either of

Felix the Cat Potvin

Jun 18, 2022

Yet, if you look at how Treliving shaped the Calgary Flames during his nine-year stewardship or examine some throwaway lines in his recent radio appearances, there are clues to where he’d like to steer this vessel.

“Do we look at our defence? Are there ways we can augment that?” Treliving wondered during his appearance on Real Kyper & Bourne.

That could be with personnel and with tactics.

When you consider some of the names Trelving sought for Calgary’s D corps — Noah Hanifin, Dougie Hamilton, Rasmus Andersson, Chris Tanev, Nikita Zadorov, MacKenzie Weegar, Troy Stetcher — you see a list of guys with size, edge, or both.

In Toronto, only Justin Holl and seldom-used Erik Gustafsson are UFAs, so maybe there is a trade to be made on the back end.

Treliving believes firmly in winning battles at both net-fronts, so expect new personnel to thrive in those areas.

The GM also wants his players to initiate, not retaliate. To impose their style of play on the opponent, instead of getting too bogged down trying to crack the enemy’s code.

To force the other team into making mistakes by establishing a relentless checking team.

Harder forechecking. A willingness to grind out lower-scoring wins.

Look no further than the Vegas-Florida final for successful examples.

So, while we don’t specifically know whom Treliving will try to acquire this summer, we do have an idea of the brand of hockey player he’ll go hunting for.

And while the conversation will continue to circle around the big names up front, the blue line may be where Treliving stamps his own mark on the next Leafs roster.

P.S. Dream for this, Leafs Nation: Elias Lindholm ($4.85-million cap hit) as Toronto’s second-line centre, allowing John Tavares to play the wing.
It's a nice idea but it starts from the top and can you imagine Marner, Matthews, Tavares or Nylander initiating a physical, hard game? Not just for a shift or a period or even a game, but for a whole series or dare I dream playoff run. I don't see it. They're all pillow soft pretty boys being propped up by not only the media but also the organization. They're happy being with their buds on the ice and being celebrated (in the regular season) like gods by a desperate fanbase. There's no leader, and not even leadership potential; there's limited competitiveness, driven mostly by a desire not to be embarrassed rather than actually win. They're all materialistic; you see it in how they dress and take photos and encourage the worship. The thought of them fully committing to an intangible goal like a championship is beyond the scope of my imagination. The organization's goal is not a championship but to "protect" their jersey sales.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

Matt Murray, Toronto Maple Leafs

Matt Murray faced another challenging injury-riddled campaign, appearing in only 26 games. Despite some flashes of steady puck stopping, his lack of durability proved he is not a reliable starting goalie option.

On the flip side, Ilya Samsonov was rock solid in the regular season and is in need of a significant raise as an RFA. Joseph Woll is ready for a full-time NHL backup role and owns a dirt cheap $766.667 AAV for the next two seasons as well.

The combination of those dynamics makes it untenable for Toronto to trot Murray back at his $4.6875 million cap hit.

Toronto’s been in this position before. Last summer, they had to ditch Petr Mrazek’s contract, which was slightly cheaper at $3.8 million but, at the time, had two years left instead of the lone season remaining on Murray’s deal. Mrazek’s contract, at least based on the multiple years of term, should have been harder to trade than Murray’s will be this summer. The fact that Toronto wriggled out of Mrazek’s deal by attaching reasonable sweeteners and dumping him to Chicago should inspire hope that they can do a similar job with Murray this year.

Murray is owed a significant amount of salary this upcoming season and we’ll see if that makes the contract a little bit more challenging to move. It’s also possible, given Murray’s injury history and how his season ended, that he could end up on Long-Term Injured Reserve (LTIR), rendering the potential cap issues attached to him moot.

If it does prove difficult to trade Murray and if he isn’t able to go on LTIR then it’s worth noting the buyout route, which would clear $4 million in cap space this summer from Toronto’s perspective. That would create a $2 million dead cap penalty for 2024-25 though, which would be a nuisance since that’s when Auston Matthews and William Nylander, if they’re still with the team, would have new extensions kick in, while John Tavares would still be on the books for the final year of his deal.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
It's a nice idea but it starts from the top and can you imagine Marner, Matthews, Tavares or Nylander initiating a physical, hard game? Not just for a shift or a period or even a game, but for a whole series or dare I dream playoff run. I don't see it. They're all pillow soft pretty boys being propped up by not only the media but also the organization. They're happy being with their buds on the ice and being celebrated (in the regular season) like gods by a desperate fanbase. There's no leader, and not even leadership potential; there's limited competitiveness, driven mostly by a desire not to be embarrassed rather than actually win. They're all materialistic; you see it in how they dress and take photos and encourage the worship. The thought of them fully committing to an intangible goal like a championship is beyond the scope of my imagination. The organization's goal is not a championship but to "protect" their jersey sales.
I think that starts with the coach tbh. I also think we have to learn to accept the players we have but build players around them that can offer that kind of nuisance.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
Kyper said Wes Clark was fired for going into Leafs dressing room after Lou told him not to :laugh::laugh:

It must be some sort of culture gap here because this seems perfectly reasonable especially if the guy was given a warning after doing it previously.

BTW, I checked out his twitter recently. The guy doesn't even seem interested in hockey. It was basketball, tennis and politics.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
I get that Travis plays with grit and has skill and carter was a high ceiling prospect but the cap hit is gonna be bigger as well as the fact nylander is the better player of the three it sounds like tkachuk trade all over again but we’d be Calgary
See this is where thinking differently can benefit us.. what just makes nylander the better player over konecny? Scores more? Ok.. talent and skill..yep for sure. Works harder? Affects the game in all three zones for the good? Battle level? Physicality?

Could konecny affect this team in a different way than nylander and could it be positive?

The storyline is so frustrating that just seems to hoard our three guys and doing anything different defaults to either making us a worse team or our player is the best player and need more in trade..

Reactions: Peace Frog

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Gents some news a week or so ago Muzzy sold his condo at Kipling/Bloor close to Leafs practice facility via Sotheby's agent .. sounds to me like (???) he knows he will be on LTIR next season so that gives us almost another 6M in AAV to use .. look for a retirement announcement next spring

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site

understatement of the year. Our core 4 are kings of the flyby

Reactions: hockeywiz542

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
Gents some news a week or so ago Muzzy sold his condo at Kipling/Bloor close to Leafs practice facility via Sotheby's agent .. sounds to me like (???) he knows he will be on LTIR next season so that gives us almost another 6M in AAV to use .. look for a retirement announcement next spring
Intriguing.. not that i was expecting a change but always shitty to see a battler go down like this

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
Take Bobrosvky out and put an average goalie in net, the Leafs win that series. Florida was so underwhelming. Goaltending is everything. Need it to win and it can cost you a game a series and or a season.

Reactions: Smif
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad