Post-Game Talk: 2023-2024 Leafs Roster/Changes/Turnovers & Replacement(s)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ciao

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Matthews will not take a discount. There's no reason he should. He will get top dollar.

He is also untradeable because there's no deal for him that would make sense to both teams.

Chances are the Leafs will back up the Brinks truck rather than lose him in free agency.

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
Treiliving should call Maurice right now and ask him to come back for a few years.

That loser team of his doesn't deserve a good coach after obviously quitting on him and each other in the biggest game of their career.

Reactions: WillNy29

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
Treiliving should call Maurice right now and ask him to come back for a few years.

That loser team of his doesn't deserve a good coach after obviously quitting on him and each other in the biggest game of their career.
The team went 10 for 11 games in the playoffs at one point before Bob's hot streak ended.

I dont understand how people dont realize that just because a game is lopsided, doesn't mean that the other team didn't put in the effort. They were without their best player too. Sometimes its just not your day and they were clearly outmatched against Vegas.

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
The team went 10 for 11 games in the playoffs at one point before Bob's hot streak ended.

I dont understand how people dont realize that just because a game is lopsided, doesn't mean that the other team didn't put in the effort. They were without their best player too. Sometimes its just not your day and they were clearly outmatched against Vegas.

The team rode a wave of luck.
They were outplayed by Toronto even with all the officiating irregularities.

They were outplayed by Carolina who were missing 2 of their 3 best players.

They were absolutely outclassed by Vegas.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018

Not that either is necessarily an indication of play, but Florida actually outshot Vegas, and Vegas had over 50% more turnovers (23-14).

Bob had a bad game, but other than that, I don't think the play was as lopsided as even the 7-3 score (before they pulled Bob) showed.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

3. How will Brad Treliving put his stamp on the Leafs in a massive offseason?

Brad Treliving is facing a lot of high-leverage decisions in Toronto.

First, he’ll have to decide whether to break up the Core Four. William Nylander is especially interesting. He’s the only member of that group who’s consistently shown up in the playoffs, but he’ll be a UFA at the end of next season and is line for a significant raise from the $6.96 million cap hit he’s currently on. Can Toronto afford to see its already expensive core become even pricier?

If an extension can’t be worked out for whatever reason, you’d figure Nylander would become a trade chip.

Treliving has a lot of business beyond that:

• Will Sheldon Keefe return as head coach or will he be fired?

• Can Treliving find a creative way to make Matt Murray’s contract disappear, like Toronto did last summer with Petr Mrazek? Will they be forced to buy out Murray?

• The Leafs need to add a top-six forward, with Michael Bunting’s expected departure. Will they target a middle-six center who could facilitate shifting John Tavares to the wing, or is it simply about a winger?

• There’s a hole at third-line center. David Kämpf did an admirable job the last two years, but he’s in line for a decent raise and may get overpaid in a weak free-agent market.

• Toronto’s top-four on the blue line needs an upgrade, too. The Leafs’ back end was too slow and struggled to break out the puck in the playoffs against Tampa Bay and Florida’s aggressive forechecks.

• Auston Matthews, a UFA at the end of next season, needs his future determined.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
was looking at murray buyout just for fun. not sure if anyone knows but hypothetical scenario

Suppose Ottawa is maxed out on their cap (lol I know wont happen but just go with me here)

and Leafs buyout murray; will ottawa have to deal someone because Leafs boughtout Murray to be cap compliant or does that move to next season? I don't know whats the deal here.

Ex from cap friendly:
1686866588558.png

Same scenario for McCabe just curious what happens to Chicago if they were maxed out on cap and Leafs buy out McCabe
1686866646106.png

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
Watching Kyper and Bourne and they mused about trading Nylander and Marner for Saros and Josi.

What do you guys think? Would you do it?
If Josi was under 30? I would do this trade in 2 seconds. But he's what 32? 33? So probably not. But it would be really tempting though.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
was looking at murray buyout just for fun. not sure if anyone knows but hypothetical scenario

Suppose Ottawa is maxed out on their cap (lol I know wont happen but just go with me here)

and Leafs buyout murray; will ottawa have to deal someone because Leafs boughtout Murray to be cap compliant or does that move to next season? I don't know whats the deal here.

Ex from cap friendly:
View attachment 718332

Same scenario for McCabe just curious what happens to Chicago if they were maxed out on cap and Leafs buy out McCabe
View attachment 718333
Yes is the short answer. They need to be cap compliant and the buyout window allows for time to adjust rosters.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007

Quit? Did you see the damn injury report. Half those guys couldn’t even get dressed by themselves and still went out there. They had nothing left in the tank.

Reactions: BallardEra

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
If you win the Cup, chances are everyone is hurt to some degree. It’s not an All-Star game.

For sure but Florida’s team was completely decimated by injuries. Even the players themselves said it’s not an excuse. But when you have your top guys playing with multiple injuries it’ll be hard to win.

That being said I don’t think it’s a lack of effort.

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
Quit? Did you see the damn injury report. Half those guys couldn’t even get dressed by themselves and still went out there. They had nothing left in the tank.

So, are we making excuses for some hurt people and ignoring the injuries of others?

Seems like selective dissonance to me.
Almost as if there is arguing in bad faith going on....

Reactions: WillNy29

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

Sure... the team that won three rounds are quitters, and he absolutely should leave them, for the team that has won one round in what... six/seven years of this group?

WillNy29

Jun 20, 2018
people out here giving them excuses; maybe they should've been like a bunch of Patrice bergerons and won with punctured lungs

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
One thing I want to see this year is distinct styles. Sign a 3rd line with the intention of them playing a heavy and puck cycling game. Don't just throw a collection of players together etc Kerfoot. Have a goal for the third line, set out and get it. Our top 6 is relatively set I'd say. Just missing one peice, that being a winger or new #2 C.

Nylander - Matthews - ______
Knies - Tavares - Marner

or

Knies - Matthews - Nylander
Tavares - _______ - Marner

Reactions: notDatsyuk

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
Side note; would we be that apposed to looking into Dubois? Guy plays with an edget that this team simply misses and would be great as a #2C. This scenario would be moving on from Nylander/Marner

etc;

Knies - Matthews - _____
Tavares - Dubois - Marner

or

Tavares - Dubois - ________

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
One thing I want to see this year is distinct styles. Sign a 3rd line with the intention of them playing a heavy and puck cycling game. Don't just throw a collection of players together etc Kerfoot. Have a goal for the third line, set out and get it. Our top 6 is relatively set I'd say. Just missing one peice, that being a winger or new #2 C.

Nylander - Matthews - ______
Knies - Tavares - Marner

or

Tavares - _______ - Marner
This what my early frustration is with Treviling.

What style are we playing?
Is Keefe the right coach for that?
Do our scouts know this for the upcoming draft (I assume yes).

I would like to see something in the next couple of weeks.

Honestly if we roll the core 4 back with Keefe. I will just skip watching until the playoffs. Then watch them lose in the first or second again.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
This what my early frustration is with Treviling.

What style are we playing?
Is Keefe the right coach for that?
Do our scouts know this for the upcoming draft (I assume yes).

I would like to see something in the next couple of weeks.

Honestly if we roll the core 4 back with Keefe. I will just skip watching until the playoffs. Then watch them lose in the first or second again.
To be fair, he's been here for just over two weeks. He's in the evaluation stage and it would be rash to just start making trades, even if that's what the fanbase wants.

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
To be fair, he's been here for just over two weeks. He's in the evaluation stage and it would be rash to just start making trades, even if that's what the fanbase wants.
I get it. I just don’t like the early chatter:
Core 4 to come back
Keefe stays

Like we think having a different GM watching games in the press box Will be the change needed?

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I get it. I just don’t like the early chatter:
Core 4 to come back
Keefe stays

Like we think having a different GM watching games in the press box Will be the change needed?

Most of that is speculation and not fact. It would be dumb for Treliving to come right out and say yes we are for sure trading a core four piece. That would drive the value of any of those guys right down. Not to mention a good way to have the locker room turn against you immediately.

I think there will be some change we just have to wait and let Brad do his work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad