Post-Game Talk: 2023-2024 Leafs Roster/Changes/Turnovers & Replacement(s)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Agreed, although I could see him wanting to move on if he's stuck with Keefe again, and I wouldn't blame him.
Believe it or not...Keefe and Nylander actually like each other :laugh: He is a lot more open with Nylander due to their relationship since the AHL, but people forget that and to be honest, whenever he is called out by Keefe he always does better :laugh:

Regardless I think Keefe is gone so it shouldn't matter.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Let's run it back and fill the empty spots with the 9 million in cap space.

5 forwards
1 defenseman

@Mess would be thrilled because they'd have to Play-The-Kids.
Leafs are currently in the bottom 1/3 of the league amongst the oldest teams.

1685332244704.png

Leafs could use some youth and young players and hoping the new GM does go that route.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Believe it or not...Keefe and Nylander actually like each other :laugh: He is a lot more open with Nylander due to their relationship since the AHL, but people forget that and to be honest, whenever he is called out by Keefe he always does better :laugh:

Regardless I think Keefe is gone so it shouldn't matter.
It's not a matter of liking each other, but how Keefe uses Nylander.

JT benefits from Willy's game (at least as much as he does from Mitch's), but it's not reciprocal. Yet Keefe keeps putting them together.

Willy is the most creative playmaker on the PP, but Keefe drops him to the second unit (admittedly he makes that unit much better).

Willy's even strength numbers are far better than JT's, but Keefe gives him much less ice time, and uses JT to 'stack' the top line.

Willy plays best with fast linemates, but Keefe keeps playing him with the slowest skater on the team (not counting Simmonds or the goalies).

It is possible that all this comes from higher up, maybe from Dubas trying to prop up JT so the contract doesn't look as bad. If so, maybe with Dubas gone Keefe will start using him better.

Reactions: ShaneFalco

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Leafs are currently in the bottom 1/3 of the league amongst the oldest teams.

View attachment 713604

Leafs could use some youth and young players and hoping the new GM does go that route.

I thought Brodie and Giordano looked spent in the playoffs.

But right now they only have 16 NHL players under contract, including 39 year old Giordano, and average 27.5.

CapFriendly shows the average age of their non-roster players, and including Clifford their forward prospects age is 22.8.

If they play the kids, they aren't getting any older even with their oldest prospects.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Nylander + Bos 1st for Wilson + Wsh 1st

Assuming both players sign 6-8 year extensions along w trade (Nylander ~9m, Wilson ~6m).

Potentially get Reinbacher or another top D prospect with the 8 pick.

Who says no?

Toronto because Nylander is a much MUCH better player

Reactions: notDatsyuk

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I hope Dubie goes to Pittsburgh and our new GM can trade him all of our draft picks who are small, slow and skilled for bigger guys who can skate fast and play tough .. we need to rebuild this team from a small slow skilled team to a big fast team .. you need to keep enough skill to get through regular season and make playoffs still .. GMing is a tough gig because you need to build both a regular season and a playoff team in 1 roster

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
I hope Dubie goes to Pittsburgh and our new GM can trade him all of our draft picks who are small, slow and skilled for bigger guys who can skate fast and play tough .. we need to rebuild this team from a small slow skilled team to a big fast team .. you need to keep enough skill to get through regular season and make playoffs still .. GMing is a tough gig because you need to build both a regular season and a playoff team in 1 roster
He'll probably add players like ROR/ McCabe/Schenn/ Accari to the Penguins, guys that care..... but that "core" wants to win more than a 6'3 - 2nd round flub that just went for a skate in gm7.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
Got to think we get someone in place this week. This offseason is going to start picking up fast and who ever comes in will need some preparation time.
You would think so but I do believe the glacial speed at which the MLSE board makes decisions was a key part of the leverage Kyle Dubas thought he had over Shanahan and MLSE after the season ended. It appears that Dubas just overplayed his hand.

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Leafland
Your right, during the regular season Marners better and in the playoffs Nylander is better so they are never on par with each other.
11games this year
MM 3-11 14 points plus 8. 18 hits
WN 6-4 10 points minus 4. 3 hits

Your right nylander is better

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Your right, during the regular season Marners better and in the playoffs Nylander is better so they are never on par with each other.
Sure if you are numerically challenged and believe 10 points is greater than 14 and that Nylander played a great defensive game

Reactions: WestCoastLeafs

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
11games this year
MM 3-11 14 points plus 8. 18 hits
WN 6-4 10 points minus 4. 3 hits

Your right nylander is better
If you eliminate the games Willie mailed in, it is pretty close. I always thought Marner > Nylander and I ripped Nylander when he came back out of shape after resigning but no denying the guy can and has scored some dynamic timely goals.

Either way, it will go a long way for Willie if he takes a discount because if he wants anything close to Marner numbers, he will be the first to go IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Ad

Ad