Post-Game Talk: 2023-2024 Leafs Roster/Changes/Turnovers & Replacement(s)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
AAVs can be tough to project because they should be based on term. I'm not necessarily expecting either of Nylander or Matthews to sign for max term now since neither did so during the previous round of negotiations. If so, I can likely still envision Matthews at 13M but probably not Nylander at 10M.

If I'm Nylander I move on.

But I think Nylander likes the team too much.

Reactions: Menzinger

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
I'd be interested in checking up on these UFA options:

-Connor Brown (feels like he should be a Leaf).
-Max Domi (maybe his dad will call out the Leafs like Walt did for FLA).
-J.T. Compher
-Tyler Bertuzzi
-Alex Killorn
-Corey Perry (yes, still)
-Miles Wood
-Andreas Johnsson (yes, to bring him back for cheap finesse and speed).
-Ivan Barbashev
-Adam Erne
-Evan Rodrigues
-Tomas Nosek (the other David Kampf).
-Phil Kessel (why not have fun?)

-Ryan Graves
-Radko Gudas
-Carson Soucy
-Niko Mikkola
-Nick Holden

-Joonas Korpisalo (if we needed a goalie)
Adam Erne would be a solid add

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
Alter on the Maple Leafs’ importance of taking accountability, the task at hand for the next GM and more - TSN.ca

Maple Leafs Reporter for SI and The Hockey News, David Alter joins Game Play to discuss his perspective of the general manager search, the importance of accountability from the Core Four, the task at hand for the next steps for the roster including contract and the financial situation, the free agency questions marks and fitting to the group.
That apparently doesn’t exist. It’s unbelievable that Shanny has already made assurances; you never show your hand and over- promise… how the hell do you know some idiot won’t find along and blow you outta the water with an overpayment? Shanny wouldn’t have any idea, he’s never handled player transactions.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
OMG! Shanahan interviewing Marc Bergevin.

I know folks have their quarrel with him but he's made pretty decent overall moves except for trading Serghachev for Drouin.

Also loved how involved and passionate he was as the Canadiens went on their run. He's another guy who truly cares about his players.

I'm not completely opposed if he's deemed as the right guy by Shanny.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
That's possible, but he might also go to a team that is headed in the right direction.
Makes sense. He'll be in tough here to surpass either Matthews or Marner (not that such a thing should really be an expectation considering the differences in draft pedigree and contract). As per your initial speculation though, that may not matter to him very much if he prioritizes being a Leaf most of all.

rielledup

Sep 17, 2015
How do we fix the d? Can't rely on Schenn to do what he did in the playoffs again. We need a good #2 to replace brodie and how do we get that? Probably need a good top 4 as well.

Also, with the way JT played at even strength this year don't be surprised if we're paying a guy 11 mil to get 60 points next year. I kind of feel like our window to win might be closed and the next few years are going to be the Leafs scrambling to find bandaid solutions that are never quite adequate

egd27

exspecta usque ad proximum annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
That apparently doesn’t exist. It’s unbelievable that Shanny has already made assurances; you never show your hand and over- promise… how the hell do you know some idiot won’t find along and blow you outta the water with an overpayment? Shanny wouldn’t have any idea, he’s never handled player transactions.
How does CJ thinking that "those players came away from those conversations believing that Brendan Shanahan’s intention is to bring the entire core four back" turn into "Shanny has already made assurances"

Did CJ even confirm that he had directly spoken with "the Leafs’ top players"?

Anyone else play "broken telephone" when they were kids?

Gaberd2608

Jul 14, 2022
How do we fix the d? Can't rely on Schenn to do what he did in the playoffs again. We need a good #2 to replace brodie and how do we get that? Probably need a good top 4 as well.

Also, with the way JT played at even strength this year don't be surprised if we're paying a guy 11 mil to get 60 points next year. I kind of feel like our window to win might be closed and the next few years are going to be the Leafs scrambling to find bandaid solutions that are never quite adequate
Im sure we can get some decent pieces for marner and/or nylander. Shouldnt be too hard.

Im dreaming of marner and lilly for werenski and jenner with some odds and ends to balance.

Move nylander and brodie for provorov and konecny with some odds and ends.

Knies. Matthews. Konecny
Tavares. Jenner. Xxxx
Robertson. ROR. Jarnkrok
Lafferty. Holmberg. Acciarci

Rielly. Werenski
Provorov. Mccabe
Gio. Schenn

Samsonov
Woll

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I'd be interested in checking up on these UFA options:

-Connor Brown (feels like he should be a Leaf).
-Max Domi (maybe his dad will call out the Leafs like Walt did for FLA).
-J.T. Compher
-Tyler Bertuzzi
-Alex Killorn
-Corey Perry (yes, still)
-Miles Wood
-Andreas Johnsson (yes, to bring him back for cheap finesse and speed).
-Ivan Barbashev
-Adam Erne
-Evan Rodrigues
-Tomas Nosek (the other David Kampf).
-Phil Kessel (why not have fun?)

-Ryan Graves
-Radko Gudas
-Carson Soucy
-Niko Mikkola
-Nick Holden

-Joonas Korpisalo (if we needed a goalie)

Brown and Bertuzzi seem like good targets. Perry would be fine too especially if they extend Acciari. Johnsson would be intriguing on a league minimum deal

Problem is they probably need a puck mover for the D and a 3C, and not sure I see great there's many good options. May need a trade to solve those.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
How does CJ thinking that "those players came away from those conversations believing that Brendan Shanahan’s intention is to bring the entire core four back" turn into "Shanny has already made assurances"

Did CJ even confirm that he had directly spoken with "the Leafs’ top players"?

Anyone else play "broken telephone" when they were kids?
I could have sworn that CJ said originally that he talked to "A" player on the team who relayed the info about Shanny reaching out to them after Dubas was let go...he did not say he talked to THE players about it. So it could be him just assuming stuff based on what another player said.

egd27

exspecta usque ad proximum annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
I could have sworn that CJ said originally that he talked to "A" player on the team who relayed the info about Shanny reaching out to them after Dubas was let go...he did not say he talked to THE players about it. So it could be him just assuming stuff based on what another player said.
He probably did speak with someone, and perhaps whoever that was indicated that the players felt comfortable about Dubas leaving. But somehow that has now morphed into he has given no trade assurances to the core.

It's funny how these things get twisted and then presented as fact.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Highly debatable weakest link. Marner has the more movable contract because it has some term left. Nylander scores goals and that's more favorable over playmaking winger.
Whichever way you continually attempt to put lipstick on that pig of a notion, in no universe is Nylander considered on par with Marner. Get over it already. It's time to let go.

Reactions: Buds17
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad