Injury Report: 2023 - 2024 Injury Thread HF's New longest ever thread

Gumballhead

Nov 18, 2002
Chicago
scotchhorns.bandcamp.com
Great for Lonzo Ball, I hope he can handle the stress if the NBA on his knee. It's one thing to come back, it's another to stay healthy and perform well.

Everyone knows Gabe is giving his all it's just up to his knee to respond. The Captains importance to the Avs is immeasurable.
This will be interesting to see. Two totally different athletes and body types and two completely different sports, both hard on knees. I hope they both make successful returns. To me, it seems like the basketball movements would be more violent and consistently harder on the knees, but who knows, maybe they are easier than hockey movements.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan
Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Great for Lonzo Ball, I hope he can handle the stress if the NBA on his knee. It's one thing to come back, it's another to stay healthy and perform well.

Everyone knows Gabe is giving his all it's just up to his knee to respond. The Captains importance to the Avs is immeasurable.
If we can get back a healthy Landeskog, even with some rust, that's a massive get for the Avs. If we get back a Landy that can barely skate and is closer to 4th liner level, but he continues to play...unfortunately, that may signal the end of the Avs true contention window.

The hard part with the Avs right now is that they've got 13-14 million locked into two important top-6 spots that are massive question marks. One of them is in rehab for his knee, the other in rehab for his nose. How those situations turn out will dictate the Avs future.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
If we can get back a healthy Landeskog, even with some rust, that's a massive get for the Avs. If we get back a Landy that can barely skate and is closer to 4th liner level, but he continues to play...unfortunately, that may signal the end of the Avs true contention window.

The hard part with the Avs right now is that they've got 13-14 million locked into two important top-6 spots that are massive question marks. One of them is in rehab for his knee, the other in rehab for his nose. How those situations turn out will dictate the Avs future.

Let's hope that if that's the Landy we get back he just LTIRetires.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
IMO Landy won't ever be back to what he was. He's not going to be a PPG top line winger again. That would be unlikely at his age anyway. Reasonably, without this injury, you could probably expect a ~25g-~30a in an ~80 game season. That's probably the high end and it comes with two way play, defense, and leadership. Knocking 5 off each and a lower level all around probably seems more realistic at this point. So a low end 2nd liner. He could clearly be worse than that, but I think low end 2nd liner is a fair expectation.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
IMO Landy won't ever be back to what he was. He's not going to be a PPG top line winger again. That would be unlikely at his age anyway. Reasonably, without this injury, you could probably expect a ~25g-~30a in an ~80 game season. That's probably the high end and it comes with two way play, defense, and leadership. Knocking 5 off each and a lower level all around probably seems more realistic at this point. So a low end 2nd liner. He could clearly be worse than that, but I think low end 2nd liner is a fair expectation.

I would take a 50pt second line level Landeskog back with open arms.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site

I would take a 50pt second line level Landeskog back with open arms.
Yep, if that's the Landy we get back I think the off-ice and on-ice leadership he brings is enough to still make it worthwhile. I just don't think it works though if he's basically unable to move and is closer to a 4th liner due to that.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Yep, if that's the Landy we get back I think the off-ice and on-ice leadership he brings is enough to still make it worthwhile. I just don't think it works though if he's basically unable to move and is closer to a 4th liner due to that.

Didn't he look pretty lean lately? I wonder if part of the plan is for him to play at a lesser weight overall. That could help with his speed, and his intelligence was always a huge factor in how effective he was.

It will be interesting to see. I think if the knee holds he'll be better than people expect.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I mean, if the guy is playing with MacKinnon there's no reason to think Landeskog can't put up 70+ points.

I get age and all, but he also hasn't played hard NHL minutes in 2 years. He's different than pretty much every player now when it comes to age given his body has been resting/rehabbing the entire time.

The knee is the big question mark obviously, but Landeskog was playing at a 50 point level for only a couple of seasons in his career. He doesn't get enough credit for how talented he actually is.

I'm not penciling him in for 70, but it wouldn't surprise me one bit.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
If he makes it back at all, even as a lower-tier player, it'll be a miracle at this point. How often does a guy miss two full years and manage to come back?

Sometimes people are freaks of nature. I think his mental standards for himself will not have changed.

Sakic, Roy, Landeskog, Forsberg, and Mack all have that same level of drive and standards for themselves.

As long as he did actually play I can see his skills not diminishing much. This isn't a guy who had a year or two in the NHL and then had this issue.

Like I've said, if the knee holds though. No amount of inner drive can overcome that, as we seen with Forsberg.

I mean, if the guy is playing with MacKinnon there's no reason to think Landeskog can't put up 70+ points.

I get age and all, but he also hasn't played hard NHL minutes in 2 years. He's different than pretty much every player now when it comes to age given his body has been resting/rehabbing the entire time.

The knee is the big question mark obviously, but Landeskog was playing at a 50 point level for only a couple of seasons in his career. He doesn't get enough credit for how talented he actually is.

Especially considering scoring is up, and it's just in his nature to go to the paint.

Reactions: AllAboutAvs

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
If he makes it back at all, even as a lower-tier player, it'll be a miracle at this point. How often does a guy miss two full years and manage to come back?
Even if and when he returns, he won't be at a high level right away. It will take him time to get used to his new skating style, which they have evidently been working on, and the speed of the game. I figure it will take him a few months to get back into it, maybe even an entire season.

Reactions: AllAboutAvs

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Rantanen can't skate, can't control the puck and plays like he's towing a caravan in general and he still manages 100 point seasons. Landeskog will probably set league records.

Mack can't have three wingers, so someone will be SOL.

Time for Mikko to prove he's worth as much as Mack or pack his shit and get it somewhere else.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Scoring is actually down a very slight amount since 21-22. We're within a few percent of the seasons prior too. Scoring being higher is what elevated Landy from being a ~60 point guy to practically PPG. He's going to be 32 which is down the aging curve a good amount already, and prior to him being injured, I'd argue he's had a lot of wear and tear prior. This was a guy that played over 700 games very quickly, 60 playoff games, played through a bunch of injuries throughout his career... and is now coming off a major surgery while missing 2 full seasons. Him coming back and being a 70 point guy would be a miracle. I think he will come back and play well, but 2nd liner seems a lot more realistic.

Reactions: missionAvs

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Scoring is actually down a very slight amount since 21-22. We're within a few percent of the seasons prior too. Scoring being higher is what elevated Landy from being a ~60 point guy to practically PPG. He's going to be 32 which is down the aging curve a good amount already, and prior to him being injured, I'd argue he's had a lot of wear and tear prior. This was a guy that played over 700 games very quickly, 60 playoff games, played through a bunch of injuries throughout his career... and is now coming off a major surgery while missing 2 full seasons. Him coming back and being a 70 point guy would be a miracle. I think he will come back and play well, but 2nd liner seems a lot more realistic.

Wait where is the guy who had Landy's back? I miss THAT guy lol.

Landy is capable of miracles, just saying.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002

I’m going to be surprised if he comes back at all.

70 points? That would be incredible.

Reactions: missionAvs

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Wait where is the guy who had Landy's back? I miss THAT guy lol.

Landy is capable of miracles, just saying.

I thought saying Landy being a 2nd liner is having his back....

giphy.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad