Pre-Game Talk: 2023-2024 Habs Rookie Camp & Training Camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
The talk about Beck being too good for the OHL is ridiculous. He has never dominated juniors. Let him do that like Suzuki did at 19. I want him to develop his confidence offensively. He won't do that in Laval or in Montreal at 19.
Who is saying that? I haven't read it. Beck came into this camp intending to make the team as Rob Ramage said he would. People saying Beck going back to Peterborough isn't an ideal doesn't mean he's too good for the OHL. What it does mean is the production we hope to see him improve on will be hard to come by on that club. Someone will probably make a move for him long before the post season but sooner would be better IMO. People want him to finish up like Suzuki but Peterborough aren't likely to be a contender at all.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
The talk about Beck being too good for the OHL is ridiculous. He has never dominated juniors. Let him do that like Suzuki did at 19. I want him to develop his confidence offensively. He won't do that in Laval or in Montreal at 19.
Dominating offensively is not his game. Patrice Bergeron didn't dominate the Q either.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Would be kind of weird if a bubble guy like Pearson/Armia ends up as a top line winger for us, but the other lines are looking pretty good

Suzuki and Caufield play a two man game, so having a space maker like Pearson makes sense. Can also protect them a bit. It looks ugly on paper for sure, but in reality it could work
I don't think Pearson has the speed element that line needs to get on the forecheck. Anderson certainly does but his problem is a limited capacity to make a play once he gets there. Suzuki and Caufield are at their most dangerous when they turn pucks over in the Ozone. A good forecheck will help them do just that.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
I don't think Pearson has the speed element that line needs to get on the forecheck. Anderson certainly does but his problem is a limited capacity to make a play once he gets there. Suzuki and Caufield are at their most dangerous when they turn pucks over in the Ozone. A good forecheck will help them do just that.
Pearson is slower than Armia and Armia is slow

Reactions: MasterD and Rapala

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
Bergevin messed this team up so bad with contracts, it hurts really hurts.

Contracts aside, we could easily bring in a guy like Beck if Gallagher, Armia, Evans weren't here. I'm the 1 person who likes Dvorak in his role on this board, but he could be replaced, too.

Hughes still has tons of work to do with this team.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017

Contracts aside, we could easily bring in a guy like Beck if Gallagher, Armia, Evans weren't here. I'm the 1 person who likes Dvorak in his role on this board, but he could be replaced, too.

Well at least we can be patient with these guys. I really don’t get the Beck in the NHL thing. Let this guy continue to develop his offensive game.

Reactions: Vachon23

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John

Agreed.

I think some underestimate the damage Bergevin did to this organization.

It's going to take years to repair.

Hughes has done a solid job so far, but lots of work left to do.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
If Heineman and Davidson can get a shot with Suzuki and Caufield, will Slafkovsky and Roy each get their chance?

Agreed.

Gallagher and Armia are the bad contracts.

But Bergevin also left us with:

Caufield, Suzuki, Anderson, RHP, Roy, Evans, Ylonen, (plus Toffoli and Lehkonen as trade chips),

Guhle, Xhekaj, Harris, Savard, Mailloux, Trudeau, Struble, (plus Chiarot, Kulak, and Petry as trade chips)

Montembault, Allen, Primeau.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
There's no reason to even bring Beck in early and start the countdown to free agency/burn a year off his ELC when we're not competing. People thought sending Suzuki down was dumb but it ended up being for the best. Although ironically we missed the playoffs by two points and may have made them with Nick but would have missed out on Caufield.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Sadly I don't see an NHL future for Cayden Primeau. Six years after being drafted, he simply hasn't evolved or improved.
I'm ok with it if the brass have given up on Primeau and plan to waive him.

My only point is that if they have NOT given up, they should not take a chance with waiving him, while hoping he clears. It is not necessary to take that risk when there is an option that gives them more time to see what he can do.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Dvorak is a good forechecker and maybe could fill the gap for now until we get a stronger first line winger. The other benefit is that the Suzuki line will improve their +/- quite a bit with Dvorak playing LW. Significantly.

Reactions: KFlint and 26Mats

Capitano

Jul 14, 2003
Visit site
Agreed.

If Heineman and Davidson can get a shot with Suzuki and Caufield, will Slafkovsky and Roy each get their chance?

Caufield, Suzuki, Anderson, RHP, Roy, Evans, Ylonen, (plus Toffoli and Lehkonen as trade chips),

Guhle, Xhekaj, Harris, Savard, Mailloux, Trudeau, Struble, (plus Chiarot, Kulak, and Petry as trade chips)

Ya, maybe if we gave Bergevin another 9 years he would have turned the corner.

As for Hughes, he has done a good job managing assets but like Tuggy said there is a ton of work to do for this roster in order to be considered relevant.

Reactions: HabsMD97 and Tuggy

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I'm ok with it if the brass have given up on Primeau and plan to waive him.

My only point is that if they have NOT given up, they should not take a chance with waiving him, while hoping he clears. It is not necessary to take that risk when there is an option that gives them more time to see what he can do.
Coach, I sincerely doubt there is a team willing to take on his 900K contract. No team will claim him.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Ya, maybe if we gave Bergevin another 9 years he would have turned the corner.
That's not what I was saying. Bergevin wasn't the man to take the team to a cup. And, his overall teams always had the potential to be disasters. But he had enough good pieces such that, aside from the Armia and Gallagher contracts, it won't take years to recover.

We were a team built on vets that went to the finals, although they were lucky. Without covid, no finals. But then when Weber and Price went down there was no choice to rebuild. And MB certainly wasn't the person to do it.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
He was a 7th round pick so he has already beaten odds by even playing NHL games.
There have been some amazing talents come out of later rounds though. Markov, Ryder, Palat, Datsyuk to name a few. You are right though, the fact that he played some NHL games is commendable.

Reactions: red devil

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Dvorak is a good forechecker and maybe could fill the gap for now until we get a stronger first line winger. The other benefit is that the Suzuki line will improve their +/- quite a bit with Dvorak playing LW. Significantly.
Mr. I had no idea you were even playing Dvorak? I don't see it. How could a good forechecker go unoticed for periods at a time?

Capitano

Jul 14, 2003
Visit site
That's not what I was saying. Bergevin wasn't the man to take the team to a cup. And, his overall teams always had the potential to be disasters. But he had enough good pieces such that, aside from the Armia and Gallagher contracts, it won't take years to recover.

We were a team built on vets that went to the finals, although they were lucky. Without covid, no finals. But then when Weber and Price went down there was no choice to rebuild. And MB certainly wasn't the person to do it.
Fair enough. I wanted Bergevin fired rather than extended to start a rebuild but we just dug ourselves a deeper hole to climb out of, which is what we're currently experiencing.

Glad we agree that Bergevin wasn't the guy to take the team to a cup. You can't win without talent and he didn't do enough to support Price, and he also overvalued some players - like Petry for example.

As for contracts we were fortunate that Price and Weber called it quits otherwise we would be stuck in no man's land like a large portion of teams in the league.

Anyway, I'm hopeful for some of the prospects on this team. Bergevin deserves at least partial credit for being GM when they were drafted, but I'm glad he is not making any decisions about their futures that's for sure!

Reactions: 26Mats

red devil

Oct 14, 2004
There have been some amazing talents come out of later rounds though. Markov, Ryder, Palat, Datsyuk to name a few. You are right though, the fact that he played some NHL games is commendable.
There where always be incredible talents that come out of the later rounds you just hope that your team ends up with a few them in drafts that are close together so they can be on the same team.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004

Price's contract. Weber.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Price's contract. Weber.
Price and Weber contracts turned out great. Price was either still going to be worth 10.5M (as he proved in our cup run) or LTIRetire due to injury and come off the cap. Weber was either going to decline in his final years and have his contracted traded to a team that needed to get to the floor (because his salary was so much lower than his cap hit) or be LTIRerire due to injury. Those two contracts didn't hurt us, as I expected all along.

I am a hardcore Bergevin hater. But those contracts weren't the problem.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad