Pre-Game Talk: 2023-2024 Habs Rookie Camp & Training Camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Sadly I don't see an NHL future for Cayden Primeau. Six years after being drafted, he simply hasn't evolved or improved.
It's sad he hasn't come out with fire in his belly. I was wondering if we waived him now would he pass while other teams are still evaluating what they have?

Reactions: Tyson

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I can understand the OHL wanting to hang on to their star players. Or very good players. But at this point, something has to be done to atleast make some exceptions to the rule.
Adjust the incentives to something more nuanced.

Contracts do not slide. You draft a kid at 18, he is UFA at 25. Teams will draft fewer guys early. This will help the CHL but also improve the odds of all teams drafting accurately.

Other side is, they can play in the AHL whenever ready, with a little monetary compensation to the CHL team that developed him.

Last edited:

Jul 6, 2016
I hope Juraj pans out otherwise this team can't draft in the top 4.

It's also a damn shame every time we got a top 3 pick it was a relatively weak draft.

Looking at Bedar in Chicago really annoys me. Looks like every team in the league have superstar forwards and we haven't had one since the 70's.

For 50+ years this team has been starved for goals. Don't remember if we ever had a Calder winner. 40 years roughly with no 50 goal scorer. Have ever had a scoring leader?

At least this management group seems to be focusing on more offense, but it's slow going.
Really ? How many "offensive" forwards did they draft last June ?

Reactions: SergeConstantin74

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
Zegras will be on the top line once we acquire him.

Zegras - Suzuki - Caufield
Monahan - dach - Roy
Slaf - Newhook - Anderson
Gallagher - beck/evans - RHP
That first line would be the softest first line ever and would be so counter productive to the organization

Reactions: KFlint

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
RHP never ceases to impress. He's a player. Gally seems to understand his spot is not so safe around all those youngsters and he shows up like he wants to impress. I respect that.

Whoever said Dach seems to have glue on his stick: couldn't find a more apt description. There's a player that's growing before our eyes. I hope he explodes this season, I'm rooting for him.

David Savard (I know NO ONE cares about vets at this point) is a guy I like, he's both akward and agile at what he does. I respect his game.

Last edited:

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
In one word Opportunistic. This is good.

Stop it with the dumping of crap on our top line. It isn't going to happen.
Crap?

Pearson is a 2-time 20+goals scorer who might do as well or even better with top linemates.

Other than Monahan and Dach, who do we have that is a proven player? And even Dach never scored 20.

Obviously if we find another real first liner, we can put him there, but for now, I'd rather have Monahan drive a different line.

Another option is Roy. He did very well complementing Bedard. But can he handle the minutes of a first liner as a rookie?

Slaf is a future possibility, but not now. Davidson is not an option yet. RHP is small ahnd perhaps pairs better with Gallagher.

Newhook maybe?

Many observers have wsaid that Dvorak can play with good players. Ask Mitch Marner. He is just not a play driver, but Dvo definitely can complement, improve the results in their own zone, and help with left-side faceoffs.

Jack Skellington

Sep 29, 2017
The talk about Beck being too good for the OHL is ridiculous. He has never dominated juniors. Let him do that like Suzuki did at 19. I want him to develop his confidence offensively. He won't so that in Laval or in Montreal at 19.
They should tell him come back when you get 100 points

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Adjust the incentives to something more nuanced.

Contracts do not slide. You draft a kid at 18, he is UFA at 25. Teams will draft fewer guys early. This will help the CHL but also improve the odds of all teams drafting accurately.

Other side is, they can play in the AHL whenever ready, with a little monetary compensation to the CHL team that developed him.

UFA age is not related to when the player is drafted, it's when he's signed.

Harry Kakalovich

Like and reply
Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
The talk about Beck being too good for the OHL is ridiculous. He has never dominated juniors. Let him do that like Suzuki did at 19. I want him to develop his confidence offensively. He won't do that in Laval or in Montreal at 19.
This 100%. People always complain about this, but guys like Gallagher who stood out, got sent down, dominate and come back the next year do fine. It's a non-issue IMO.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Pearson is a 2-time 20+goals scorer who might do as well or even better with top linemates.
Pearson is a 31 year old middle sixer with a career high 45 points. While I agree his experience is valuable I see him more as a player shoring up our fourth line which is in a shambles. If he can break into the top six all the power to him but for some reason I don't see Marty looking at that as an ideal. We keep harping about not having even one PPG player I'm not sure that trio can get it done. Whatever configuration we look at Monahan plays top 6 and Newhook plays top 6 we are no where near deep enough to spread our talent out like some are suggesting.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Best lines so far in Camp

Roy - Dach - Monahan
Anderson - Newhook - Slaf
RHP - Beck - Gallagher

And then you have Suzuki - Caufield with somebody who we know will be there. Maybe they try Ylonen and/or Pearson up there.
MSL said in his presser he expects to try many different line combos.

If Dach isn't at center, I would think he'd play with CC and Suzuki. But really, Dach would add a dimension to any of the duos that look like will form the core of the top 3 lines:

Dach - Suzuki _ CC
Dach - Newhook - Anderson,
Dach - Monahan - Slaf/Roy.

I have it:

CC - Suzuki - Dach
RHP - Newhook - Anderson
Slaf - Monahan - Pearson
Gallagher - Evans - Ylonen
Armia, Pez

(maybe interchange Pearson and RHP)

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
For balanced lines?

Pearson/Dvorak-Suzuki-Caufield
Monahan-Dach-Roy
Slafkovsky-Newhook-Anderson
RHP-Evans-Gallagher
Would be kind of weird if a bubble guy like Pearson/Armia ends up as a top line winger for us, but the other lines are looking pretty good

Pearson is a 31 year old middle sixer with a career high 45 points. While I agree his experience is valuable I see him more as a player shoring up our fourth line which is in a shambles. If he can break into the top six all the power to him but for some reason I don't see Marty looking at that as an ideal. We keep harping about not having even one PPG player I'm not sure that trio can get it done. Whatever configuration we look at Monahan plays top 6 and Newhook plays top 6 we are no where near deep enough to spread our talent out like some are suggesting.
Suzuki and Caufield play a two man game, so having a space maker like Pearson makes sense. Can also protect them a bit. It looks ugly on paper for sure, but in reality it could work

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad