Speculation: 2023-2024 General Lightning Discussion - Part 4

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

LordZapp

Jan 31, 2015
Texas
Curious as to when Howard is expected to make his debut. Feel like we could use an elc talent like him right now.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Curious as to when Howard is expected to make his debut. Feel like we could use an elc talent like him right now.
JBB will trade him for a rental an enforcer like jeannot

JBB will trade him for a rental an enforcer like jeannot

It does make sense why do you trade for Mac when you had the cap space to sign stamkos and now we don’t

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
Reactions: DistantThunderRep

RLP55

Jul 13, 2022
Have been a Lightning fan from Day One. The games at the fairgrounds, win or lose, were a blast.

I am from the old school, where I root for the name on the front of the jersey, not the back. The players come and go, but I still love the Lightning.

I understand that this won’t fly with the majority of the board, but other than Kuch, I am not opposed to trading anyone if it improves the long term success of the team. If it takes Kuch, so be it.

We are being passed by other franchises both in the East and West, because of the salary restraints. Not blaming or pointing fingers at anyone.

TB was/is a destination spot for free agents. We can’t afford them. We have no draft capital and father time is ticking on the roster.

I don’t have a list of trades or roster moves to improve the team, I’ll leave that to others that research and follow such things. TBH, I live in Fort Worth and don’t even follow the Stars.

But as history repeats, it’s better to trade a player a year early than a year late.

Honestly, believe we could move a star or two, Stamkos and Serg come to mind and still be competitive. I know, rose color glasses. But I would hate to see a total crash similar to Chi or Pitt. Or be on a constant treadmill like LA, ANA, SJC.

If you have gotten this far, thanks for letting an old man rant.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Have been a Lightning fan from Day One. The games at the fairgrounds, win or lose, were a blast.

I am from the old school, where I root for the name on the front of the jersey, not the back. The players come and go, but I still love the Lightning.

I understand that this won’t fly with the majority of the board, but other than Kuch, I am not opposed to trading anyone if it improves the long term success of the team. If it takes Kuch, so be it.

We are being passed by other franchises both in the East and West, because of the salary restraints. Not blaming or pointing fingers at anyone.

TB was/is a destination spot for free agents. We can’t afford them. We have no draft capital and father time is ticking on the roster.

I don’t have a list of trades or roster moves to improve the team, I’ll leave that to others that research and follow such things. TBH, I live in Fort Worth and don’t even follow the Stars.

But as history repeats, it’s better to trade a player a year early than a year late.

Honestly, believe we could move a star or two, Stamkos and Serg come to mind and still be competitive. I know, rose color glasses. But I would hate to see a total crash similar to Chi or Pitt. Or be on a constant treadmill like LA, ANA, SJC.

If you have gotten this far, thanks for letting an old man rant.
Damn brother. Welcome aboard. That's as solid a 1st post as there's been here

b0lthed

Mar 7, 2023
But it’s not an aging roster. We transitioned from the old core to a new, younger core. We have exactly 3 important players you can fairly call “old”. Kucherov is about to turn 31 in 2 weeks. I suppose it’s fair to say he’s “aging” but he’s also a favorite for the Hart trophy. Vasy is turning 30 next month. Is he aging or is he still the best goalie in the world?

My point in contradicting the basic premise that we have an “aging” roster is to show that our window may be closing, but it isn’t closed. There’s little reason to tear down the roster right now. The plan was to get younger while keeping only the most essential older players and remain in contention. Why panic just because we’re nearing the end of that plan? Tear-downs are incredibly risky.

The way I read the McDonagh acquisition tells me we have 2-3 more years with this group to try to work on the edges of the roster and contend. If Stamkos signs a reasonably team-friendly deal and the cap goes up (again) significantly next summer, I can definitely imagine one more really good kick at the can.

We’ll know when the window is really truly closed, and we’ll be able to better assess the situation at that time. Not now.

Reactions: Ducati Boy and Hoek

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Elliotte Friedman just said on the JM Show that if Blashill ends up in SJ, he could see Dan Hinote in TB.

Hinote would be the first Florida-born Lightning coach, I'm pretty sure.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Friedman has also said that Tanner Jeannot is officially on our trade block.
I'm gonna call bullocks and say more like a team checked in on Jeannot and we gave some neutral answer like we would "make the trade if it made sense" and now it's been leaked to the media by the team that checked in. But one of the insiders does usually have a track on us. @DFC wasn't it Friedman that usually gets us right? Every time you point it out I see it ans then forget about it

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
Based off current roster strength I think we can afford to lose one of Cirelli, Sergachev or Cernak. We have enough defense now (even though I personally wouldn't want to trade one of them) and Cirelli is the obvious, depth piece choice.

However, I don't think letting Stamkos walk makes any sense at this point. Our offense will be in total shambles, and we don't have the Cap space to replace him in any decent capacity. The best move, in my opinion, is to get him signed to a decent deal and trade elsewhere to bring in additional scoring.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
Friedman has also said that Tanner Jeannot is officially on our trade block.
I have a hard time believing that would be our only cap dump. Doest really do much. Brings our space to like $7.5M. Enought for Stamkos and some low level shit. Also just created another forward hole by dumping Tanner.

Last edited:

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
You need to move Jeannot and Sheary just start making a dent in the cap. There's no way around trading a big name unless Stamkos is signing for something stupid cheap.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I'm gonna call bullocks and say more like a team checked in on Jeannot and we gave some neutral answer like we would "make the trade if it made sense" and now it's been leaked to the media by the team that checked in. But one of the insiders does usually have a track on us. @DFC wasn't it Friedman that usually gets us right? Every time you point it out I see it ans then forget about it
it was lebrun. But I think he and Yzerman were/are friends.

I think Friedman is just reading the obvious here. We need money. Jeannot is a piece we can trim.

I still think we need a major move. Either Cirelli or Sergachev. And I think it will happen. I would prefer Sergachev move. The return would be great.

Reactions: Renopucker

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Yeah I don’t think any of the insiders have a track on us anymore. In the Yzerman days there was LeBrun, that French-Canadian guy from TSA (?) and I think it was Kyper who broke the Gagne trade and some others.

JBB is running a tight ship.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
it was lebrun. But I think he and Yzerman were/are friends.

I think Friedman is just reading the obvious here. We need money. Jeannot is a piece we can trim.

I still think we need a major move. Either Cirelli or Sergachev. And I think it will happen. I would prefer Sergachev move. The return would be great.
We don't "completely" agree often but this is one time we do. I'm good with either but I am leaning towards Cirelli by a very wide margin. I know the 5 on 5 numbers for Stamkos are bad. But I think it's because he is literally Cirelli's conjoined twin at even strength and forced onto the wing where he is not comfortable. And Cirelli doesn't take risks anymore. He isn't that cavalier bottom line player he once was because he is expected to be a 2C who is responsible. If he's even a freaking electron out of place, the goal he scored is called GI or offsides. Or the puck goes into the net off his stick and not blocked with his foot. He is suffocating. Stamkos had Duclair for 1 night and looked like a different player. We had 2 lines that could score and won at like a 75% clip and were undone by the (as Engblom loves to call it) "static power play" where everyone just moves as slowly as Kucherov does and the Cats predicted every play before it happened.

l had more to say but that was more than enough. We don't need "more goals becuase goal scoring is not our problem. We need chemistry, cohesion and unpredictability. If we do trade Sergachev, we still need to give the offense a shot in the arm. I cannot stress enough how stupid it is that we have 15 guys mindlessly swarming around all 3 zones playing 3-1-1 death by structure almost 50 minutes a night until it's time for Kucherov's next shift

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
If there moving jeannot then there going to also move sheary . So I see there not wanting to move cirell or cernak then.

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
I'm offended
You're 19,940 posts late saying that.

If there moving jeannot then there going to also move sheary . So I see there not wanting to move cirell or cernak then.
I'd move Cernak and Jeannot as a package. Cernak, for how good he can be, can't stay healthy. Jeannot is a great enforcer, especially since not one nail has popped out of the bench since he got here.

• Haha
Reactions: DistantThunderRep

garmonbozia

Jan 10, 2006
You try and move Sergachev (better return and frees more cap) until July 1st and shift to Cirelli after July 1st if Stamkos hasn't already moved on elsewhere.

Reactions: Renopucker

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Yeah I don’t think any of the insiders have a track on us anymore. In the Yzerman days there was LeBrun, that French-Canadian guy from TSA (?) and I think it was Kyper who broke the Gagne trade and some others.

JBB is running a tight ship.
LeBrun still has a pretty good track record with the Lightning.

TSA is...something different...that will also get all in your business, but Renaud Lavoie is with TVA.

Reactions: LightningStrikes

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
You try and move Sergachev (better return and frees more cap) until July 1st and shift to Cirelli after July 1st if Stamkos hasn't already moved on elsewhere.
I don't think Stamkos is going anywhere. Dumba saying he is leaving makes me think we are holding onto Sergachev because otherwise he'd have been an easy solution. But it's just as likely that I'm wrong

b0lthed

Mar 7, 2023
Much as I think Cernak is overpaid and injury prone, I don’t think we traded for McD just to weaken the blue line by trading away Cerny or Serge. I do think Perbix could fetch us a nice lil return since he’s young, right handed and can contribute on both ends. Maybe we flip him for a similarly young, cheap forward with middle 6 potential … or maybe we use him to get rid of Sheary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad