2023-2024 EPL Season

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Taking into account his career heading stats are worse than Trippier's, making him a CB might be dangerous.
Yeah but he’s very good on the ball. That’s becoming more important, and heading is becoming less important. Have to be good on the ball and defend on the turn. LFC are the one team that really prioritized having this mutant CBs to dominate in the air. A lot of teams have moved away from that

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
So speaking of Trippier, went off injured today in a friendly (Trial for MW39 ?) between Newcastle and Tottenham that is happening for….reasons….?

I think Callum Wilson got injured as well. No idea why this game was being played
1716388191807.png

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I’m taking White over Trippier honestly

So speaking of Trippier, went off injured today in a friendly (Trial for MW39 ?) between Newcastle and Tottenham that is happening for….reasons….?

I think Callum Wilson got injured as well. No idea why this game was being played
It's happening for $$$

Newcastle wants to try to get revenue from anywhere they can.

Spurs think the Ange connection will get them extra revenue from Australia.

The claim is trippier wasn't injured and instead coming off after 35 minutes was planned....which seems deeply stupid.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
The Spurs fan that doesn't rate Saliba also doesn't rate Ben White? Consider me shocked!
With healthy Timber, do you think White would leave Arsenal if a top team came in and said “do you want to start at center back”

Just curious

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
The Spurs fan that doesn't rate Saliba also doesn't rate Ben White? Consider me shocked!
I rate both of them, just not as much as you guys. Come back to me when White is a top 3 chance generator in the whole league, regardless of position.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
With healthy Timber, do you think White would leave Arsenal if a top team came in and said “do you want to start at center back”

Just curious
I don't know if Ben White would even prefer to play CB over RB. But he won't be leaving Arsenal. I expect him to still get the majority of starts at RB, and Timber will get minutes at LB, backup RB, and maybe even midfield. We started him at LB in the community shield and MW1 even though White was playing CB in MW1.

I rate both of them, just not as much as you guys. Come back to me when White is a top 3 chance generator in the whole league, regardless of position.
Trippier and White don't play the same roles for their teams. Trippier plays in a far more offensive role and is an average at best defender. Come back to me when Trippier is part of the best defense in the league.

Trippier also takes set pieces for Newcastle. How many of his chances come from set pieces vs open play?

Reactions: Savant

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Trippier and White don't play the same roles for their teams. Trippier plays in a far more offensive role and is an average at best defender. Come back to me when Trippier is part of the best defense in the league.

Trippier also takes set pieces for Newcastle. How many of his chances come from set pieces vs open play?

might wanna look at the goals allowed column here, LMAO

this is also technically the second time he was part of the league's best defense (altho he only played 12 times in the league for Spurs in 16-17)

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
I think it's pretty fair to say that Trippier was incredible last season and wasn't as good this season, especially defensively.

Using fbref, his shots created/90 was down this year by about 1 per 90, and this year and last year were both well above career numbers. To be fair, part of the reason his numbers were down this year is because his dead ball shots created were down significantly. They made up the majority of shot creating actions last season and about a quarter this season.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
I can't find chances created stats from open play vs set pieces, but...

Shot creating actions from open play per 90mins:
Trippier - 2.86
White - 2.44

Trippier is marginally better than Ben White in the final third (from open play) and Ben White is a far superior defender. I'd also rather have Ben White in build up play.

And for the record, I like Trippier overall. This whole thing started like a week or two ago when @luiginb used Southgate not liking Ben White as a point in his favor, even though its come out that Ben White is choosing not to be available for call up to the England team (and that doesn't even matter as it relates to his form for Arsenal).

Reactions: spintheblackcircle

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Ben White is a top 3 right back this year in the PL. This all started when you said he was the best.
White would be my ToTS Right Back, but I also wouldn’t be picking a right back in my final ToTS

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
Ben White is a top 3 right back this year in the PL. This all started when you said he was the best.
Well if we're being honest, it started with you misunderstanding a post and trying to compare current day washed up Varane to Ben White by bringing up his time at Madrid, which was even worse than trying to claim Trippier has been better than White this year.

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Well if we're being honest, it started with you misunderstanding a post and trying to compare current day washed up Varane to Ben White by bringing up his time at Madrid, which was even worse than trying to claim Trippier has been better than White this year.
You weren't around for the White vs Romero comparisons, which is were all this started when they both arrived in North London. And both Varane and Trippier have forgotten more football than White will ever know, I'd love to see how good he'd have been at this year's Newcastle or United.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
You weren't around for the White vs Romero comparisons, which is were all this started when they both arrived in North London. And both Varane and Trippier have forgotten more football than White will ever know, I'd love to see how good he'd have been at this year's Newcastle or United.
I was most certainly around for when Spurs fans and a deluded Argentina fan tried to claim Romero is better because he won a World Cup, as if that team accomplishment has anything to do with individual player abilities.

Varane may have forgotten more about football than Ben White, but that's because he basically had one foot into an assisted-living retirement home by the time United signed him.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
I was most certainly around for when Spurs fans and a deluded Argentina fan tried to claim Romero is better because he won a World Cup, as if that team accomplishment has anything to do with individual player abilities.
That deluded Argentina fan wasn't by any chance named "Messi", was he? :naughty:

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016

Varane may have forgotten more about football than Ben White, but that's because he basically had one foot into an assisted-living retirement home by the time United signed him.
The Ben White vs Romero debate goes way back to the summer they were signed. A certain Arsenal poster was certain that Romero was awful in the air and that Ben White was better, despite stats saying the opposite.

Reactions: luiginb

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad