2023-2024 EPL Season

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I think they'd be in trouble to do it again this time because they've spent too much already.

I also feel like Nkunku has made a terrible career choice, which was obvious from the start.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I think they'd be in trouble to do it again this time because they've spent too much already.

I also feel like Nkunku has made a terrible career choice, which was obvious from the start.
Bad career choice , and he HAS to be the savior now too

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Everton somehow getting taken over by even more dodgy owners then who they already had

Don't the new owners have a bad record regarding purchases: bought Genoa, who were immediately relegated and then did the same with Hertha Berlin.

And now it's Everton's turn to suffer the same fate...

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Don't the new owners have a bad record regarding purchases: bought Genoa, who were immediately relegated and then did the same with Hertha Berlin.

And now it's Everton's turn to suffer the same fate...
Their fans tried to protest but they are kind of in the beggars can’t be choosers phase

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
Saliba and (still) Virgil top 2. Saliba only CB in the league I’d take over Virgil for now. Then the City guys. Saliba is a mutant.
VVD is still up there, but he's fallen off a good bit over the last 2 years. I'd have him behind all three that I mentioned at least. I think you can even argue he's behind guys like Gabriel, Botman, Konate, and Lisandro based on his form.

Chelsea is currently 4th in terms of xPTS, IIRC they were second after 4 games. They've had atrociously bad finishing.

United are currently 12th.

TBH I think the biggest question on Chelsea is going to be if things implode before their (lack of) luck catches up to them since that could significantly change things.
I don't find that too surprising for Chelsea given their forwards though. They have a bunch of guys that are poor finishers or unknowns. Nkunku probably fixes some of that when he's healthy, but I wouldn't bet on that forward group to start outperforming their xG anytime soon.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I don't find that too surprising for Chelsea given their forwards though. They have a bunch of guys that are poor finishers or unknowns. Nkunku probably fixes some of that when he's healthy, but I wouldn't bet on that forward group to start outperforming their xG anytime soon.
Sure, but there's a difference between underperforming it and underperforming it by crazy margins.

They're on pace for 81xG and 38G. That would be nearly triple the highest xG underperformance for a team on record.

More likely their xG will come down a bit and their finishing will improve a bit. They may not end as the 4th best team in the league on xPts, but I think they're far more likely to end up with something roughly equal to a top 4/6 xPts compared to United and United also have their own finishing issues.

Reactions: Blender and KJS14

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Sure, but there's a difference between underperforming it and underperforming it by crazy margins.

They're on pace for 81xG and 38G. That would be nearly triple the highest xG underperformance for a team on record.

More likely their xG will come down a bit and their finishing will improve a bit. They may not end as the 4th best team in the league on xPts, but I think they're far more likely to end up with something roughly equal to a top 4/6 xPts compared to United and United also have their own finishing issues.
Not really worth looking at when their schedule has been buns to start. Started with Liverpool, but then West Ham (who will probably give away the xG in like 37/38 matches because that’s just the way they play), and then nobodies. That they’ve finished so terribly so far against those sides leans more toward it’ll be something they struggle with all season than anything with a slight uptick with Nkunku coming back, unless someone really steps up.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013

That's fair - I hadn't looked at the actual numbers before responding to realize it was crazy low. It just directionally makes sense given their forwards, and I'd bet they underperform their xG on the season for that reason. Though I agree they can't possible keep that pace up.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
It bears saying that, although Chelsea did indeed badly underperform their xG last year, their xG was also poor - the problem was moreso chance creation than it was finishing.

This year so far it’s finishing.

The former is a far bigger problem than the latter.

THAT SAID, underperforming xG against bad teams (as Chelsea have done) can come back to bite you very badly when the fixtures get tougher and you’re not creating many chances.

Chelsea have played (except against Bournemouth) very well to this point - I’m not worried about performances per se.

I’m worried about dropped points in matches that should be confidence builders when we will not be the better side in matches against better oppo.

Reactions: Blender

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
VVD is riding on pedigree. He has been abysmal for awhile. City boys are better.
Let’s see what he looks like when he is off suspension. VVD was still very good in 2021-2022. He’s lost a step but he is still top tier. Last year everyone was a problem, but he improved when they did the formation switch. Probably have to manage him a bit differently now but still think he is at the top or near the top of the league if the team is functioning.

If VVD and Ruben Dias were swapped, City are either the same or better and LFC would be significantly worse. Dias is a garbage man, he gets a lot of highlight time but it’s because he is just making a ton of desperation last man tackles. I think he is really overrated honestly. Think he is in the perfect team/situation for his skill set though. But again I kind of subscribe to the Maldini school of defending and Dias is the opposite of that.

Stones is great but he isn’t really playing as a VVD/Saliba center back/he’s doing a ton of work in midfield/RB hybrid kind of role thing. On form he is probably the best though. I know plenty of City fans who will say their best center back last year was Ake too. City have a bunch of great centerbacks but they also get to play with each other.

If Virgil drops quality wise again this season will revisit but as of now I’m only taking Saliba over him for PL

Last edited:

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
Let’s see what he looks like when he is off suspension. VVD was still very good in 2021-2022. He’s lost a step but he is still top tier. Last year everyone was a problem, but he improved when they did the formation switch. Probably have to manage him a bit differently now but still think he is at the top or near the top of the league if the team is functioning.

If VVD and Ruben Dias were swapped, City are either the same or better and LFC would be significantly worse. Dias is a garbage man, he gets a lot of highlight time but it’s because he is just making a ton of desperation last man tackles. I think he is really overrated honestly. Think he is in the perfect team/situation for his skill set though. But again I kind of subscribe to the Maldini school of defending and Dias is the opposite of that.

Stones is great but he isn’t really a center back/he’s doing a ton of work in midfield/RB hybrid kind of role thing. On form he is probably the best though. I know plenty of City fans who will say their best center back last year was Ake too. City have a bunch of great centerbacks but they also get to play with each other.
Dias would certainly make Liverpool better, not worse. Just like Saliba, he's basically playing centerfield out there defending the entire center of the pitch by himself if City loses the ball and gets hit on the counter (with other defenders pushed wide or up the pitch). He doesn't have the passing ability of the other top guys, but he's likely the best pure defender.

And you can argue Stones is really playing midfield, but regardless he's a better player than VVD now and over the last 18 months. It's not like he hasn't played in a typical CB role at all during that time either.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Dias would certainly make Liverpool better, not worse. Just like Saliba, he's basically playing centerfield out there defending the entire center of the pitch by himself if City loses the ball and gets hit on the counter (with other defenders pushed wide or up the pitch). He doesn't have the passing ability of the other top guys, but he's likely the best pure defender.

And you can argue Stones is really playing midfield, but regardless he's a better player than VVD now and over the last 18 months. It's not like he hasn't played in a typical CB role at all during that time either.
Dias absolutely does not make LFC better. He is very overrated and he is not a transformational defensive player like VVD or Saliba. He’s a nice player but he is not looking as good as he does for any team besides City; but he doesn’t have to and I am sure City is happy. City’s personnel makes things a lot easier on him. City should be happy with their guys, but again you put any of those guys on LFC and they do worse.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006

Stones is great but he isn’t really playing as a VVD/Saliba center back/he’s doing a ton of work in midfield/RB hybrid kind of role thing. On form he is probably the best though. I know plenty of City fans who will say their best center back last year was Ake too. City have a bunch of great centerbacks but they also get to play with each other.

If Virgil drops quality wise again this season will revisit but as of now I’m only taking Saliba over him for PL
I wouldnt put stones above him but there is other cbs ahead of VVD in the EPL. Before starting a fire storm I'll refrain from listing them but there's a few.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
Romero is a good player, but not up there with the best in the league for me. Probably somewhere between 10th and 20th CB in the EPL.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
Uff that’s awful 20 CB is wild tbh.
Well I said somewhere between 10 and 20, because I didn't actually go thru an entire list in my head. But I don't think that's a wild take.

Clearly above Romero (10): Dias, Stones, Ake, Akanji, Saliba, Gabriel, VVD, Konate, Thiago Silva, Botman

Same tier (7): Varane, Lisandro, Guehi, Schar, Dunk, Torres, Gvardiol (probably belongs above but put him here for now)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad