2023-2024 EPL Season

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
I think the realization that City have (at least) of the best CBs in the league )and the best DM in the world) is the takeaway here
City has 5 of ~10 best CBs in the league, and they each fit the specific roles that Pep wants. And like you said, combine that with Rodri and it's clear as day why they're able to control games so effectively. (It doesn't hurt that their CMs and attacking options are fantastic too obviously).

I don't think I need to explain Dias/Stones qualities again. Then you have Akanji who was one of the best ball progressing/passing CBs, Ake who was another strong passer but more controlled than Akanji, and Gvardiol who is an all-around CB with seemingly limitless potential.

If Arsenal had any one of those guys along with Saliba/Gabriel, then I think they would have really challenged City to very end of last season with Saliba being out.

Yeah look at all his reds lol. Dunk is over 30 hasn’t played for a non mid table side. And had 2 NT caps. Your footballing knowledge is always second to non.
Dunk was one of the better CBs in the league last year, and notably showed great passing ability in De Zerbi's system. It's not a ridiculous take to say he was better than Romero last year, although I'd take Romero due to his age if I was building a team.

"Dunk’s aggressive passing role saw him attempt 353 passes which sought to break an opposition line, a full 82 more than Spurs’ Cristian Romero in second. The risk often led to reward for Dunk, whose 80.2 pass grade ranks fourth among centre-backs."
- PFF

Reactions: S E P H

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
So we judge defenders based on passing alone? One won the WC last year I think that entails anyone to have the better season. Jmo

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
So we judge defenders based on passing alone? One won the WC last year I think that entails anyone to have the better season. Jmo
We don't. I'm just highlighting one of Dunk's strengths because you wrote him off based on his club and international caps. Contrary to what you may think, Argentina NT caps aren't the only barometer for success and the players do play 38 league games for their clubs plus cups.

Team accomplishments =/= individual performance. One player performed better for his club. The other one played on a NT that won the WC. Both can be true.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
We don't. I'm just highlighting one of Dunk's strengths because you wrote him off based on his club and international caps. Contrary to what you may think, Argentina NT caps aren't the only barometer for success and the players do play 38 league games for their clubs plus cups.

Team accomplishments =/= individual performance. One player performed better for his club. The other one played on a NT that won the WC. Both can be true.
One season isn’t a barometer of who’s better either. And saying Romero just happened to play on the Nt that won is very disingenuous. He played a massive role. As important as anyone not named Messi. Behave.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
The last time I chequed, it was closest of margins how they won and football is a team sport. Are you implying that he is one of the top 3 reasons why they won? Over changing the entire midfield after the Saudi loss or the manager figuring out that Alvarez needed a starting spot?

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
One season isn’t a barometer of who’s better either. And saying Romero just happened to play on the Nt that won is very disingenuous. He played a massive role. As important as anyone not named Messi. Behave.
I previously said they were in the same tier for the record. One season isn't the end all be all for who's better, but the most recent season is definitely weighed more heavily than previous ones.

Also, I'm not diminishing Romero's performance in the WC. I'm just not using a 7 game tournament to form my entire opinion on a player that played in 35+ other games for Tottenham last year. And Argentina winning the WC doesn't automatically make him a better player. Does the trophy mean that there weren't any other NT CBs with better performances in the WC?

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I previously said they were in the same tier for the record. One season isn't the end all be all for who's better, but the most recent season is definitely weighed more heavily than previous ones.

Also, I'm not diminishing Romero's performance in the WC. I'm just not using a 7 game tournament to form my entire opinion on a player that played in 35+ other games for Tottenham last year. And Argentina winning the WC doesn't automatically make him a better player. Does the trophy mean that there weren't any other NT CBs with better performances in the WC?
Meh like I said yesterday this is pointless. We went from white to Dunk…. Wonder what brighton cb we have next year. Been done to death .

The last time I chequed, it was closest of margins how they won and football is a team sport. Are you implying that he is one of the top 3 reasons why they won? Over changing the entire midfield after the Saudi loss or the manager figuring out that Alvarez needed a starting spot?
Messi
Scaloni
Emi/Romero

That’s the order. And they didn’t change the entire midfield.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
Meh like I said yesterday this is pointless. We went from white to Dunk…. Wonder what brighton cb we have next year. Been done to death .
I agree it's a pointless discussion if you argue against Dunk using NT caps, and then when I mention a particular stat highlighting Dunk's strengths you just say "so we judge defenders based on passing alone?" We're not going to reach an "answer" because these are opinions, but you're just taking the extremes of anything I mention.

Ben White is better than both players, but he plays RB now and is one of the best in the league.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
"One won the WC last year I think that entails anyone to have the better season. Jmo"

Only bolded and underlined above. No twisting. But you keep changing the argument and moving goalposts.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
"One won the WC last year I think that entails anyone to have the better season. Jmo"

Only bolded and underlined above. No twisting. But you keep changing the argument and moving goalposts.
I’ve stated it many times and Almada keeps getting brought up. I thought we are discussing in good faith. There is a world of difference between Almada playing 5 mins and CUTI contribution. Again I for once thought we are discussing in good faith and didn’t think I need to spell it out. Screw it this is more fun, Alamada > Saka. Not surprised who jumped on this btw it’s always the same folks. Which is what I wanted to avoid. Have fun boys. I said my peace.

• Haha
Reactions: KJS14

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
Delusional.
Agreed, but that take was only as bad as someone else trying to argue that Lewis Dunk must be worse than Romero simply because he plays for "mid-table club" Brighton rather than referencing anything related to each player's actual performance. They conveniently ignored that Brighton finished above Spurs last season, which Dunk contributed to.

Apparently playing for big clubs and NTs is all that matters. Someone tell Man United their players are actually really good.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Is it just me that does not care how people rate the CB in the league? From what I have seen every single one of them have strengths and weaknesses and some could fit and be dominant in a team and be awful on another...
Personally I love Romero and he would be close to my first choice but for some teams he could be a disaster as he has a tendency to be very aggressive. For Argentina and Tottenham he is perfect. He is 100% the most underrated defenseman in the EPL because he plays for a smaller team.

Last edited:

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Is it just me that does not care how people rate the CB in the league? From what I have seen every single one of them have strengths and weaknesses and some could fit and be dominant in a team and be awful on another...
Personally I love Romero and he would be close to my first choice but for some teams he could be a disaster as he has a tendency to be very aggressive. For Argentina and Tottenham he is perfect. He is 100% the most underrated defenseman in the EPL because he plays for a smaller team.
The fit on the team/system is definitely a huge factor in evaluating defenders. Most of City’s guys would look awful (in comparison) on United because they’d be exposed so much more often and their skills would mostly go to waste.

Reactions: JPBolts

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Delusional.
Blud, please

Brighton went to the Theatre and handsomely won. Yeah, Spurs also beat United, but that was home and all the fans on here would even admit that the Devils had numerous chances in that game they didn't capitalise on.

Spurs playing a new system that other teams haven't really adjusted to which is why they're winning lost to Fulham (lol) and needed 40 minutes of extra time along with a red card to squeeze by Sheffield United. Fam, your schedule has been about Burnley, Brentford without Toney, Bournemouth, and the Blades. Talk about the Johnstone Paint Trophy level competition and you lot are here acting all high and mighty (you get to play Luton like two weeks from now as well). Don't worry, a real squad with real 4 and 5s will show you how it is done on Sunday when Mind the Gap becomes the next major scientific principle since Sir Isaac's Principia was released in 1687 (Spurs last major trophy).

I will avatar bet any of you lot for the rest of the year to 2024 for the smackdown that will take place when Ange ball gets ripped to shreds by the true covenant of premiership football. It's going to be like a Flawless Fatality on MKII, Lui Kang bicycle kicks on repeat bruv. Spurs going to fall harder than Enron stock.

What do Spurs and fine wine have in common? They both spend all their time in the cellar, cost too much, and only show up on certain occasions. Bomb.

Last edited:

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Blud, please

Brighton went to the Theatre and handsomely won. Yeah, Spurs also beat United, but that was home and all the fans on here would even admit that the Devils had numerous chances in that game they didn't capitalise on.

Spurs playing a new system that other teams haven't really adjusted to which is why they're winning lost to Fulham (lol) and needed 40 minutes of extra time along with a red card to squeeze by Sheffield United. Fam, your schedule has been about Burnley, Brentford without Toney, Bournemouth, and the Blades. Talk about the Johnstone Paint Trophy level competition and you lot are here acting all high and mighty (you get to play Luton like two weeks from now as well). Don't worry, a real squad with real 4 and 5s will show you how it is done on Sunday when Mind the Gap becomes the next major scientific principle since Sir Isaac's Principia was released in 1687 (Spurs last major trophy).

I will avatar bet any of you lot for the rest of the year to 2024 for the smackdown that will take place when Ange ball gets ripped to shreds by the true covenant of premiership football. It's going to be like a Flawless Fatality on MKII, Lui Kang bicycle kicks on repeat bruv. Spurs going to fall harder than Enron stock.

What do Spurs and fine wine have in common? They both spend all their time in the cellar, cost too much, and only show up on certain occasions. Bomb.
I've never claimed that Spurs would be world-beaters this season. I predicted them to finish seventh. I have no shame in saying that Arsenal will finish ahead of them again. But Arsenals "success" has really gotten to your head if you think Spurs are a mid-table club. I remember when you said that they'd finish no higher than 11th this season even if Kane had stayed.

Very brave post to make ahead of the NLD too. If Arsenal are the better side your argument is still poor and if they aren't, well, that would be incredibly funny.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002

Wow, Arse finishes ahead of Spurs for the 1st time in 7 years and you'd think they won something.

I guess being better than a mid-table club is an achievement for the Gunners.

Reactions: HeHateMeFrisbee

fancy lad

Nov 22, 2021
life long LFC guy here.

I just realized that there's a soccer subforum so i'll pop in here and there. Is this pretty much the best thread to talk premier league?

Anyways season has been fun (for me at least) so far. Table looks pretty strange with where some teams are, but there always are a few suprises at this stage of the season.

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
life long LFC guy here.

I just realized that there's a soccer subforum so i'll pop in here and there. Is this pretty much the best thread to talk premier league?

Anyways season has been fun (for me at least) so far. Table looks pretty strange with where some teams are, but there always are a few suprises at this stage of the season.
Run don’t walk

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad