2023-2024 EPL Season

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

JPBolts

Jun 21, 2019
The fit on the team/system is definitely a huge factor in evaluating defenders. Most of City’s guys would look awful (in comparison) on United because they’d be exposed so much more often and their skills would mostly go to waste.

Is it just me that does not care how people rate the CB in the league? From what I have seen every single one of them have strengths and weaknesses and some could fit and be dominant in a team and be awful on another...
Personally I love Romero and he would be close to my first choice but for some teams he could be a disaster as he has a tendency to be very aggressive. For Argentina and Tottenham he is perfect. He is 100% the most underrated defenseman in the EPL because he plays for a smaller team.
completely agree with both of these thoughts. CB preferences depend a lot on the style of play for each specific manager and how the club plays. When I caused (minor) havoc saying I don't think any spurs player gets into a Villa side, it was a lot to do with how Emery plays and that is extremely important. I know I use a lot of villa examples -cough sorry cough -- but Pau Torres has a ton of defensive fragilities and they have been exposed in games this year already. A team that is struggling in the PL would probably not want/rate him for their starting XI, but for a team that is genuinely considered an upper half team he would be extremely valuable as he is world class at progressive passing. There was a stat that he had the most final third passes played over the weekend from CB and that is just nuts. You could say the same about Brighton and their cb's playing from the back.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
life long LFC guy here.

I just realized that there's a soccer subforum so i'll pop in here and there. Is this pretty much the best thread to talk premier league?

Anyways season has been fun (for me at least) so far. Table looks pretty strange with where some teams are, but there always are a few suprises at this stage of the season.
The signal to noise ratio gets pretty low at times but it’s a good place. There are also the match day threads.

HeHateMeFrisbee

Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Savannah, GA
Blud, please

Brighton went to the Theatre and handsomely won. Yeah, Spurs also beat United, but that was home and all the fans on here would even admit that the Devils had numerous chances in that game they didn't capitalise on.

Spurs playing a new system that other teams haven't really adjusted to which is why they're winning lost to Fulham (lol) and needed 40 minutes of extra time along with a red card to squeeze by Sheffield United. Fam, your schedule has been about Burnley, Brentford without Toney, Bournemouth, and the Blades. Talk about the Johnstone Paint Trophy level competition and you lot are here acting all high and mighty (you get to play Luton like two weeks from now as well). Don't worry, a real squad with real 4 and 5s will show you how it is done on Sunday when Mind the Gap becomes the next major scientific principle since Sir Isaac's Principia was released in 1687 (Spurs last major trophy).

I will avatar bet any of you lot for the rest of the year to 2024 for the smackdown that will take place when Ange ball gets ripped to shreds by the true covenant of premiership football. It's going to be like a Flawless Fatality on MKII, Lui Kang bicycle kicks on repeat bruv. Spurs going to fall harder than Enron stock.

What do Spurs and fine wine have in common? They both spend all their time in the cellar, cost too much, and only show up on certain occasions. Bomb.
ok blud

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY

Pretty decent analysis. Showing that United's defensive tactics weren't awful against Brighton, they just didn't apply the appropriate level of intensity at critical defensive moments and Brighton played excellently to take advantage of that.

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

HeHateMeFrisbee

Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Savannah, GA
Average finish of Spurs last 10 years: 4.8
Average finish of Arsenal last 10 years: 4.7

Neither have been elite. Both have had close calls with championships, but have fallen short. To call either a "mid table club" is stupid, and an obvious (poor) attempt at trolling. Considering the source it's unsurprising.

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis

Neither have been elite. Both have had close calls with championships, but have fallen short. To call either a "mid table club" is stupid, and an obvious (poor) attempt at trolling. Considering the source it's unsurprising.
Do trophies next

HeHateMeFrisbee

Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Savannah, GA
Tottenham fans can't afford to be dismissive of any trophies.
What else should I say?

What else should I say?
Also, yes I can. Like, what is going to happen if I am dismissive? Is there a tax I will need to pay or something?

Clearly, we would have loved to have won some trophies and have come close, but close doesn't mean shit, does it? I'm not sure what else you want.

And, I will circle back to the fact that the discussion was about Spurs being labeled a "mid table club" which was what I was responding to. In this context, the amount of FA Cups your team has won is not really relevant, is it?

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I've never claimed that Spurs would be world-beaters this season. I predicted them to finish seventh. I have no shame in saying that Arsenal will finish ahead of them again. But Arsenals "success" has really gotten to your head if you think Spurs are a mid-table club. I remember when you said that they'd finish no higher than 11th this season even if Kane had stayed.

Very brave post to make ahead of the NLD too. If Arsenal are the better side your argument is still poor and if they aren't, well, that would be incredibly funny.
My preseason prediction list had a lot to do with Kane leaving FYI.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Agreed, but that take was only as bad as someone else trying to argue that Lewis Dunk must be worse than Romero simply because he plays for "mid-table club" Brighton rather than referencing anything related to each player's actual performance. They conveniently ignored that Brighton finished above Spurs last season, which Dunk contributed to.
Lol what? Where was the Dunk slander?

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL

Wait, now it's trolling by rightfully concluding that Brighton is in much better shape with RdZ at the helm than Spurs without Kane?

Yes, you have won some FA cups. Congratz.
Coping mechanism blud.

HeHateMeFrisbee

Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Savannah, GA
I just really can't wait for this game to be over with and Arsenal (and their fans) become an irrelevant for me again.
Wait, now it's trolling by rightfully concluding that Brighton is in much better shape with RdZ at the helm than Spurs without Kane?

Coping mechanism blud.
Ok Blud, that's just like, your opinion, man.

Reactions: Vasilevskiy

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Stopped by the Italian grocer by my apartment and stumbled upon this shit. Clown marketing.

received_265412543119530.jpeg

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016

My theory is that Gabbanini was only at the club over the summer as an extension to the suspended Paratici. Munn will now appoint a new DoF and Paratici won't be involved any longer. They were linked to Alemany a couple of weeks ago.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
life long LFC guy here.

I just realized that there's a soccer subforum so i'll pop in here and there. Is this pretty much the best thread to talk premier league?

Anyways season has been fun (for me at least) so far. Table looks pretty strange with where some teams are, but there always are a few suprises at this stage of the season.

Took me a few years to find it as well, welcome in :thumbu:. Yeah, here and the matchweek threads

Reactions: fancy lad

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad