2023-2024 EPL Season

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Away fans are such an integral part of the match day experience. If you are an owners spending 1 billion dollars on the transfer market, you can step up and pay for a chunk of the coach.
I don't think not doing so is a big deal, the optics to cut that off from your fans after spending a billion on transfers and say you're cutting it off for financial reasons is just embarrassing and delusional.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I think they'd be nuts to fire him. I think they overachieved last season and still have some big holes in their squad compared with who they are competing with for top 4. The extra matches this season will take its toll as well.

I think so too but if there's any one thing I've learned it's that owners will make the change for the sake of it. Even if it is an absolutely terrible idea. They'll do anything for a quick result. I know I harp on it too much but a good example is Leeds. They will regret firing Bielsa for the next 2-3 years. Yes, Bielsa-Ball became an unmitigated disaster tactically. And when the team was ravaged by injuries the best solution they could come up with was digging up some boys and sending them to the trenches like it was WWI. Ownership was just as responsible for the lack of success on the pitch as anything Bielsa did.

Let's hope Howe's bosses are smarter than that and will give him another year and a half at minimum. Like that they have the sense to not freak out if the Magpies go to like 12th place for a couple of weeks while a berth in Europa or winning the FA Cup are still on the table

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I don't think not doing so is a big deal, the optics to cut that off from your fans after spending a billion on transfers and say you're cutting it off for financial reasons is just embarrassing and delusional.
Yeah the bus may not be a big deal in the grand scheme of things, I just like the idea that these clubs will do their part to give back to their communities. I look at Brighton who are in the EL for the first time in club history. They made all 3 home games available to buy for 70 quid. What a great way to make the games accessible to everyone in the community.

Reactions: Spring in Fialta

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
w7caz8gjb8mb1.png

So great we traded Kepa, who was near the top of the league in expected goals saved last season, for Sanchez. :facepalm:
Vicario looking promising.

Woof, Ramsdale.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
Vicario looking promising.

Woof, Ramsdale.
I don't think it's truly a reflection on Ramsdale so far this year. Outside of it being a small sample size, Arsenal have had a knack for playing good enough defense / pressing to suppress the volume of shots he's seeing, but then they've made bad errors resulting in goals.

You'll usually see the same trend for Ederson given the similarity in our systems for retaining possession and pressing higher up the pitch.

Reactions: maclean

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Antony is thrown out of the brazilian squad because of his accusations.

What a terrible transfer this is turning out to be. Not like everyone and their mother could see it coming (well except an Ajax fan of course).

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Antony is thrown out of the brazilian squad because of his accusations.

What a terrible transfer this is turning out to be. Not like everyone and their mother could see it coming (well except an Ajax fan of course).
Greenwood, Antony, Sancho a very well run club indeed!

Reactions: S E P H and blkhawk

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Henderson gave an interview about his Saudi Arabia move and man it wasn’t as bad as Souness giving that interview years ago but it’s disgusting nonetheless. Completely and totally disgraceful I’m ashamed he was ever associated with the club. Just completely shits all over himself and makes a fool of himself. He’s a morally compromised faking sick prick.

It’s not absolutely wrong to go play there (it’s close) but the things he says in defense of himself are as bad as it gets. Maybe some moron will accuse me of posting this for clout but I think he’s a disgrace who tarnished the fact he ever won anything and ideally he’d be erased from the club’s history as well as not ever invited back in any official capacity. Bigger scumbag than anyone who played for us in recent memory. Someone finally massively topped Michael Owen. Almost actively hoping something bad happens to him on England duty and Southgate permanently boots him from the squad.

Reactions: robertmac43

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
He should have just not done the interview and then come out in a few years and said something vague and bs but less stupid like “i didn’t understand the gravity of what i was doing at the time and how it would affect people etc” or something

not sure who gave him the yes on doing that travesty interview lmao

Reactions: Blender

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Any chance someone wants to give a tldr of what he said? There's no world where I watch that interview

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
He should have just not done the interview and then come out in a few years and said something vague and bs but less stupid like “i didn’t understand the gravity of what i was doing at the time and how it would affect people etc” or something

not sure who gave him the yes on doing that travesty interview lmao
Honestly. Being honest and stop the bullshiting would have been better. I would have actually respected it.
"I did it for the money and to be well off once my career is over after winning it all."

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Henderson gave an interview about his Saudi Arabia move and man it wasn’t as bad as Souness giving that interview years ago but it’s disgusting nonetheless. Completely and totally disgraceful I’m ashamed he was ever associated with the club. Just completely shits all over himself and makes a fool of himself. He’s a morally compromised faking sick prick.

It’s not absolutely wrong to go play there (it’s close) but the things he says in defense of himself are as bad as it gets. Maybe some moron will accuse me of posting this for clout but I think he’s a disgrace who tarnished the fact he ever won anything and ideally he’d be erased from the club’s history as well as not ever invited back in any official capacity. Bigger scumbag than anyone who played for us in recent memory. Someone finally massively topped Michael Owen. Almost actively hoping something bad happens to him on England duty and Southgate permanently boots him from the squad.
What Souness interview?

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Henderson is clearly a guy who thinks himself quite intelligent, who unfortunately, is not that smart when it comes down to it.

I give him respect for having the balls to step up and have a conversation about everything, and in his words " want to understand" but you can't have your cake and eat it too. The "my being here is positive to change" is also stupid. Yeah, they're not going to kill you for saying you support the LGBTQ+ (though you won't dare say that to the Saudi media).

To give a "it's not about the money, we never even talked money" is also lunacy.

He's made his bed, and it's fine. The whole I wouldn't be playing and I'm not in their plans, had they said they wanted me to stay, I would not have gone is also stupid.

Last edited:

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Any chance someone wants to give a tldr of what he said? There's no world where I watch that interview

Going from being a prominent LGBTQ+ advocate to representing the Saudi league

Before this move, Henderson stood out within the football world as a rare player who would speak in support of the LGBTQ+ community. In a game with very few openly gay male players and an environment that some fans find uncomfortable, Henderson repeatedly went “above and beyond” to support the Rainbow Laces campaign.

His move to Saudi Arabia, therefore, caught many by surprise and upset fans such as the Liverpool and England LGBTQ+ supporters groups, who pointed out the Gulf state’s terrible record on human rights and persecution of gay people.

In the interview, Henderson tries to explain his thinking, saying that he hopes his move can bring change. “I think having someone with those views and values in Saudi Arabia is only a positive thing”.

Henderson says he would consider wearing rainbow laces in Saudi but only if it did not offend people, reiterating several times in the interview that it is important to respect their religion and culture. When asked what LGBTQ+ people in Saudi Arabia, who don’t have such freedoms and cannot choose their sexuality, can do about that, Henderson says he hopes things will change in the future. He also says that, from his experiences so far, the country is very different to the one that is talked about in Western media and on social media.

He also says he feels sorry that some LGBTQ+ feel negatively towards him and insists his values have not changed.

Reactions: maclean

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Henderson is clearly a guy who thinks himself quite intelligent, who unfortunately, is not that smart when it comes down to it.

I give him respect for having the balls to step up and have a conversation about everything, and in his words " want to understand" but you can't have your cake and eat it too. The "my being here is positive to change" is also stupid. Yeah, they're not going to kill you for saying you support the LGBTQ+ (though you won't dare say that to the Saudi media).

To give a "it's not about the money, we never even talked money" is also lunacy.

He's made his bed, and it's fine. The whole I wouldn't be playing and I'm not in their plans, had they said they wanted me to stay, I would not have gone is also stupid.
He also gave it the “have to respect their religion and culture” absolute nonsense. Guy is a loser.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
He also gave it the “have to respect their religion and culture” absolute nonsense. Guy is a loser.
I mean. I don't think you should disrespect their religion or their culture. I don't really know how saying I support the right of other humans to live and be themselves is disrespecting culture or religion. I guess it is if you have a giant sack of money in your back pocket. he tries to walk the rainbow disrespects the Saudi culture / Islamic religion line, and that he didn't know why they blurred / greyed out his rainbow captain band.

The ridiculous thing he also says in this was the Qatar workers bit. Amnesty international came to their camp for England and talked about the abuse. So of course Henderson got out and said something (so he says) about the abuses, but then says "when he met workers, he noticed it wasn't what he was told".

There's also some context to the interview people should be aware of. One of the two guys doing it for the Athletic identifies as LGBTQ+ (and one of the main writers for the Liverpool beat is also) and Henderson is aware of that fact going into it.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland

For me, I'm not really shocked. Footballers are footballers. They're not saints. When they pretend to have some cause or some passion project, some of it likely is put on by their agents or people around them to help their press.

For Henderson, what he did during the pandemic and his work with other footballers then is what I would like to remember. The problem is he took a giant dump on it by what he's saying now. You can't take the bag and hope that everyone will still love you. At some point, he'll understand that, but to think that the Kop will still love him (like he says / implies) is a bit on the ridiculous side. I expect that if he were to show up in a month for a farewell or whatever, he would get significantly more boos and jeers than he would cheers. No matter what he's done.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
I mean. I don't think you should disrespect their religion or their culture. I don't really know how saying I support the right of other humans to live and be themselves is disrespecting culture or religion. I guess it is if you have a giant sack of money in your back pocket. he tries to walk the rainbow disrespects the Saudi culture / Islamic religion line, and that he didn't know why they blurred / greyed out his rainbow captain band.

The ridiculous thing he also says in this was the Qatar workers bit. Amnesty international came to their camp for England and talked about the abuse. So of course Henderson got out and said something (so he says) about the abuses, but then says "when he met workers, he noticed it wasn't what he was told".

There's also some context to the interview people should be aware of. One of the two guys doing it for the Athletic identifies as LGBTQ+ (and one of the main writers for the Liverpool beat is also) and Henderson is aware of that fact going into it.
Exactly the point. It’s a ridiculous line of logic, bordering on deflecting counter-accusation.

Reactions: Spring in Fialta

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Exactly the point. It’s a ridiculous line of logic, bordering on deflecting counter-accusation.
I also get the situation he's in. He made his bed, and now he's trying to explain / justify his decisions in the situation. It happens. He wants his cake and to eat it too. I also understand that he's somewhat resentful of how it went down at Liverpool, being captain, and more or less in the situation that he was not going to start or play much. He also can't be oblivious to the fact that the Kop and Liverpool et large will likely still worship Firmino (and Gerrard on a different note). He likely feels punished by taking a stance that he felt was to help people, and doesn't get why it should hurt him more now when others did not take any stance (or much of one).

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Would have been better if he just admitted taking the money. He’s come off way worse following the interview, and there’s no way that he’s even realized it (or that he cares)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad