Speculation: 2022 off-season discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Totally agree with your D selection. I said maybe a year ago, after Jones trade that Peeke will be paired with Z, as he was the only logical choice based on skillset and style of play after Jones‘ trade, and i definitely can see Blanks taking place as Z’s partner for a really long time as he is bringing really similiar level defensively as is Peeker but has another gear offensively. Gav-Boq seem also logical to me, style-wise, but it seems like there is 0 on ice chemistry between them, it may change and you never know, hopefully they will find it sooner or later as W-Blanks and Gav-Boq is pretty solid future top 4 with ton’s of potential which may not blow everybody out by names (except for Z), but will shut everyones mouth most games by their complete play.
On the other hand, your forward lines are total mess, im missing any logical point of them. Kuraly is playing an amazing hockey, love what he brings to the table, an amazing 4C which can be moved up in lineup if needed, but still a 4C. Im in love to finally see some “predictions” with Tex on wing, he is, plays and will be a winger so its time to stop thinking of him as of center, he doesnt have enough C’s skill to play there and is muuuuch more usable as a winger where he is top 6 lock longterm for me. We can bet on that Roslovic will get another chance to be a C for Laine at least from the start of next season, with Jenner as my personal favourit to complete that line. Johnson will be playing in AHL, he is still too far and too raw to be playing top9. Voracek-Sillinger-Bjork should be a lock, that line has everything you can ask for. That leaves Nyquist-Danforth-Chinakhov and Robinson-Kuraly-Tex as other two lines for me. Save it, we can come back to this post and look at it lets say in December 😉

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Totally agree with your D selection. I said maybe a year ago, after Jones trade that Peeke will be paired with Z, as he was the only logical choice based on skillset and style of play after Jones‘ trade, and i definitely can see Blanks taking place as Z’s partner for a really long time as he is bringing really similiar level defensively as is Peeker but has another gear offensively. Gav-Boq seem also logical to me, style-wise, but it seems like there is 0 on ice chemistry between them, it may change and you never know, hopefully they will find it sooner or later as W-Blanks and Gav-Boq is pretty solid future top 4 with ton’s of potential which may not blow everybody out by names (except for Z), but will shut everyones mouth most games by their complete play.

On the other hand, your forward lines are total mess, im missing any logical point of them. Kuraly is playing an amazing hockey, love what he brings to the table, an amazing 4C which can be moved up in lineup if needed, but still a 4C. Im in love to finally see some “predictions” with Tex on wing, he is, plays and will be a winger so its time to stop thinking of him as of center, he doesnt have enough C’s skill to play there and is muuuuch more usable as a winger where he is top 6 lock longterm for me. We can bet on that Roslovic will get another chance to be a C for Laine at least from the start of next season, with Jenner as my personal favourit to complete that line. Johnson will be playing in AHL, he is still too far and too raw to be playing top9. Voracek-Sillinger-Bjork should be a lock, that line has everything you can ask for. That leaves Nyquist-Danforth-Chinakhov and Robinson-Kuraly-Tex as other two lines for me. Save it, we can come back to this post and look at it lets say in December 😉
Lines aren't according order.
Look, I'm a realist. I know you're right but Johnson will be in the roster. So I wrote it. But my ideal lines (again not according order):

Foudy -- Jenner -- Laine
Voracek -- Roslovic -- Bemstrom
Nyquist -- Sillinger -- Bjorkstrand
Robinson -- Kuraly -- Texier

Chinakhov, Johnson and Marchenko in AHL to learn to be leaders.

I would like to have three strong lines and I'm not interesting in personal stats because the team is the most important.

I still believe Liam (and Bemmer). Why with Boone and Patrik? Because he's extremaly fast with veru good for/backchecking. Also I feel PL and LF can have very good chemistry. If your think not ... who could imagine PL and BJ will have such good chemistry before the season?

But I know it won't be.

To defense. My ideal variant:

Werenski, Blankenburg
Gavrikov, Peeke

But two not too strenght players like Bean and Boqvist together isn't ideal solution IMO. Of course if at least one of them would improve it, it would be something other.

Also I think Bean played quite good with Gavrikov, more precisely better than Boqvist but AP and AB až RH can't play together.

Reactions: majormajor

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Look, I'm a realist. I know you're right but Johnson will be in the roster. So I wrote it. But my ideal lines (again not according order):

Foudy -- Jenner -- Laine

Foudy is probably being "moved on" this summer, but no way he's going to be on the top line. Bemstrom and possibly Texier may also not be back next season.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011

Foudy -- Jenner -- Laine

I would like to have three strong lines and I'm not interesting in personal stats because the team is the most important.

I still believe Liam (and Bemmer). Why with Boone and Patrik? Because he's extremaly fast with veru good for/backchecking. Also I feel PL and LF can have very good chemistry. If your think not ... who could imagine PL and BJ will have such good chemistry before the season?

But I know it won't be.
There is a huge difference here though. Jenner is a veteran who has shown an ability to play up and down the lineup with just about anyone while Laine has tremendous success in this league (but has not shown he can do it with just anyone). Foudy has achieved nothing, zero, zilch, nada, nič at the NHL level. We know he is super fast. I am skeptical to think he is more than a roster bubble player in next year's training camp and would not be surprised if he starts the year in the AHL again.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2011
In looking ahead to next year, very few open slots exist among forwards. These aren’t specific lines, rather a top 9 and a 4th line.

Nyquist -- Jenner -- Laine
Voracek -- Roslovic -- .??
Texier -- Sillinger -- Bjorkstrand
Robinson -- Kuraly -- Danforth

Not listed are Bemstrom, Johnson, Marchenko, Chinakov, and Foudy. These guys need to play meaningful minutes so Cleveland may be the best place for most of them. Then see who is maturing and adapting most quickly. Injuries aside, one will be needed mid-season when Gus is traded.

And I did leave one slot open. one of the above group may fill that slot, but I wont be surprised if Jarmo swings a deal for a player with size and toughness. Thus, some of this latter grouping - or Robby - may be packaged for such a player or a sturdy DMan. The latter would broaden the trade asset pool as right now Zach, Gav and Blanks seem core while one of the group of Bean, Bo, Peeke strike me as trade candidates (Kukan, Bayreuther and Carlsson are afterthoughts - 7/8 guys).

Reactions: EspenK

makethesave

Nov 8, 2021

Foudy -- Jenner -- Laine

But I know it won't be.

To defense. My ideal variant:

Werenski, Blankenburg
Gavrikov, Peeke

But two not too strenght players like Bean and Boqvist together isn't ideal solution IMO. Of course if at least one of them would improve it, it would be something other.

Also I think Bean played quite good with Gavrikov, more precisely better than Boqvist but AP and AB až RH can't play together.
I get the excitement over Blankenburg. The kid has looked good in the very small sample size. Coming from 4 years of college play where most players are 20-24 years old has helped him immensely with his transition. I really like his game. It will be interesting to see how he performs through the grind of an 82 game season. But to think he's a perfect partner with Werenski...not sure about that. This is Z's defense...he's the guy. He needs to be paired with a more defensive-minded player and that's where Peeke has fit in very well for about the last 40 games or so. Werenski needs to be the offensive guy and probably would not like playing back. Peeke seems to have no problem playing back. Besides, that RD partner should have size, strength, durability, and a wingspan. If anything, I feel Gavrikov is a perfect fit for Blackenburg. It will be interesting to see how things shake out for both Bean and Boqvist during the off-season.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
What has he said or done that leads you to this conclusion?
He's clearly sorting through and dealing with some personal issues and hockey isn't a priority for him right now. There is no guarantee hockey will be a priority for him in the future. Sure he'll come back next season but we honestly don't know what his level of commitment towards hockey is going forward. If he comes back full go, great. If not, then there are some decisions to be made by both him and the team.

makethesave

Nov 8, 2021
What a two time (in a row and going for three)...Tampa Bay defense looks like.....

6'2" 200 lbs
6'3" 230 lbs
6'4" 227 lbs
6'6" 241 lbs
6'1" 215 lbs
6'3" 218 lbs

That's what they will bring to the game tonight.

Most playoff bound teams have size and strength on the back end

LJ7

#80 #13
Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
He's clearly sorting through and dealing with some personal issues and hockey isn't a priority for him right now. There is no guarantee hockey will be a priority for him in the future. Sure he'll come back next season but we honestly don't know what his level of commitment towards hockey is going forward. If he comes back full go, great. If not, then there are some decisions to be made by both him and the team.
The handful of comments made on here about Texier's commitment are at best pointless and at worst insensitive. I don't understand why this is even being discussed. The team knows he's been training and has been on the ice a lot according to JD on Front and Nationwide. The team is fine with giving him space so we should also be fine with giving him space.

After seeing made up rumors and jokes get treated as facts when PLD left I think we as fans should be careful with this stuff - especially with a situation this serious and sad.

Last edited:

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2011
It was good to hear JD on the Front & nationwide podcast giving assurance that Tex will be back in the fall. He was also very positive about retaining Laine long term for this franchise.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I get the excitement over Blankenburg. The kid has looked good in the very small sample size. Coming from 4 years of college play where most players are 20-24 years old has helped him immensely with his transition. I really like his game. It will be interesting to see how he performs through the grind of an 82 game season. But to think he's a perfect partner with Werenski...not sure about that. This is Z's defense...he's the guy. He needs to be paired with a more defensive-minded player and that's where Peeke has fit in very well for about the last 40 games or so. Werenski needs to be the offensive guy and probably would not like playing back. Peeke seems to have no problem playing back. Besides, that RD partner should have size, strength, durability, and a wingspan. If anything, I feel Gavrikov is a perfect fit for Blackenburg. It will be interesting to see how things shake out for both Bean and Boqvist during the off-season.
Peeke doesn't have enough puck handling for TOP 4.
A lot of things would be solved if at least one of the Bean, Boqvist pairing would be stronger.

makethesave

Nov 8, 2021
Peeke doesn't have enough puck handling for TOP 4.
A lot of things would be solved if at least one of the Bean, Boqvist pairing would be stronger.
You might be right but could be wrong. Lets see what the coaches and management think as they prepare for next season. He led all skaters in ice time tonight and played strong defense. Has been solid enough to where a lot of teams in this league would value having him on board. I'm more old school defense...master the defense first.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
It was good to hear JD on the Front & nationwide podcast giving assurance that Tex will be back in the fall. He was also very positive about retaining Laine long term for this franchise.

I noticed that JD kept bringing up Gavrikov and Roslovic unprompted. You can tell he's been especially impressed by them.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I'm afraid I can't open JD's interview. Can someone write me what he said. Thank you.
You might be right but could be wrong. Lets see what the coaches and management think as they prepare for next season. He led all skaters in ice time tonight and played strong defense. Has been solid enough to where a lot of teams in this league would value having him on board. I'm more old school defense...master the defense first.
You're right but we can write the roster only according play in this time.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
The handful of comments made on here about Texier's commitment are at best pointless and at worst insensitive. I don't understand why this is even being discussed. The team knows he's been training and has been on the ice a lot according to JD on Front and Nationwide. The team is fine with giving him space so we should also be fine with giving him space.

After seeing made up rumors and jokes get treated as facts when PLD left I think we as fans should be careful with this stuff - especially with a situation this serious and sad.
I don't see it as pointless or insensitive. I see it as the truth.

I'm not judging the issues he's dealing with but nobody can claim they know how he is going to play next year. if it is important enough he needed to step away from the game of hockey for a large chunk of the season, it must be important. I hope he works through it and can focus on his career going forward. I think everyone wants that. I'm perfectly fine with giving him the space he needed but it is also silly to think it guarantees he'll return to the team and be like nothing ever happened. Everyone deals with grief and emotion differently.

Reactions: Toe Pick

makethesave

Nov 8, 2021
I'm afraid I can't open JD's interview. Can someone write me what he said. Thank you.

You're right but we can write the roster only according play in this time.
I just read today's ATHLETIC article and seems that Team USA has invited Peeke to the World Championships. So, it seems management, coaches, teammates, media, broadcasters, and even Team USA feels very high on this kid during his first full NHL season. Peeke plays defense the way people that know that position can appreciate. In that article, Sillinger said it best. That's the kind of player a team embraces. I guess there are always fans that appreciate the offensive minded D men and equate points to success. Most teams heading to the playoffs are loaded with big, strong, durable defensemen in their top 4. From the sounds of it, Peeke may be here a long time and I am thrilled to have guys like him and Gavrikov on this team. But then, I am one who appreciates the position of defense. I don't talk up forwards since that's not a position I played.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Moe, I think we all see that there are not a lot of openings in our forward unit for next year. I also hope playing time in Cleveland is used more constructively. What Jarmo has to do this off season is a bit trickier than last year. It is no longer about just grabbing young talent. It is more about weaving that talent into a team.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
What do you guys think thees guys sign for ?

Roslovic
Boqvist
Blankenburg
Bemstrom
Carlsson

My guesses

Roslovic 4 years 3.5-4mm. Next to Laine this one is hardest to figure imo.
Boqvist 2 years 1mm or so.
Blankenburg 3 years 2mm or so.
Bemstrom 2 years 1mm or so
Carlsson a 2 year 2 way? Why bother?

LJ7

#80 #13
Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
I don't see it as pointless or insensitive. I see it as the truth.

I'm not judging the issues he's dealing with but nobody can claim they know how he is going to play next year. if it is important enough he needed to step away from the game of hockey for a large chunk of the season, it must be important. I hope he works through it and can focus on his career going forward. I think everyone wants that. I'm perfectly fine with giving him the space he needed but it is also silly to think it guarantees he'll return to the team and be like nothing ever happened. Everyone deals with grief and emotion differently.
Well I don't see it as "the truth". We have no reason to believe this will alter his career, and no reason to even speculate on whether it will or not. Less truth than conjecture.

This is baseless speculation in a situation where I don't think there's any room or need for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad