Speculation: 2022 off-season discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
I agree that we should we look at Cleveland as a place to develop young players, Chinakov in particular. Also, maybe one or tow of our picks in the next draft. (Personally I think one of our first round picks will be included as aprt of a big trade). But thru out his tenure, Jarmo has never treated Cleveland as a serious option, more of as an after thought. In the current situation the use of Cleveland is perhaps more important. Nyquist will be gone in a year, probably at the trade deadline next year. In addition, it is nor clear to me how long Voracek will be a viable top six guy. Certainly thru next year. But Beyond 2023 ???? Finally, you need talented young guys in Cleveland ready for call up as injuries occur during the season. So there should be room in Cleveland at the start of next year for Chinakov, Meyer, Marachenko and our first round pick. The bigger harder questions are Tex and Bem (I don't conisder Foudy to even be much of a factor anymore. He is sinking in the depth charts). Now there may be issues we don't know about with Tex. So it will be interesting to see how Jarmo plays his cards.

Reactions: EspenK

Youngguns1380

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
What about Bo Horvat, Lawson Crouse and/or Jacob Chychrun? Trading for one?

Questions -

First is Vancouver moving on from Bo and would he be a fit for the Jackets? Could he be the 1st line center we are looking for?

Second can we get Lawson Crouse without giving up a lot and do we want him? What would be acceptable?

Third Jacob Chychrun and if we do trade for him what is the giveback and does he play the right side?

This is where my head is circling. Thoughts?

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
It will be interesting to see where we sit after the lottery winner is drawn. That could have an impact.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Question for the rest of this board who are far, far more comprehensive than me about what is available around the league. Among the UFA for this coming year, is there a physical, has his teammates' backs but can also chip in 15-20 goals guy available?

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Question for the rest of this board who are far, far more comprehensive than me about what is available around the league. Among the UFA for this coming year, is there a physical, has his teammates' backs but can also chip in 15-20 goals guy available?

This year's UFAs Went through first 150...short answer a[ppears to be no.

Reactions: Xoggz22

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Personally, any thump we might add in UFA would likely be that 6/7 Dman or 12/13 forward. I don't see UFA options for the next year or two based on the reset. Doesn't make sense to me to bring in any more veterans that won't be here due an extended period.

I think Chychrun is a very real possibility. Guys a fit for needs, age and skill set. Too obvious, aside from not being RHD.

Reactions: EspenK and LJ7

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I agree that we should we look at Cleveland as a place to develop young players, Chinakov in particular. Also, maybe one or tow of our picks in the next draft. (Personally I think one of our first round picks will be included as aprt of a big trade). But thru out his tenure, Jarmo has never treated Cleveland as a serious option, more of as an after thought. In the current situation the use of Cleveland is perhaps more important. Nyquist will be gone in a year, probably at the trade deadline next year. In addition, it is nor clear to me how long Voracek will be a viable top six guy. Certainly thru next year. But Beyond 2023 ???? Finally, you need talented young guys in Cleveland ready for call up as injuries occur during the season. So there should be room in Cleveland at the start of next year for Chinakov, Meyer, Marachenko and our first round pick. The bigger harder questions are Tex and Bem (I don't conisder Foudy to even be much of a factor anymore. He is sinking in the depth charts). Now there may be issues we don't know about with Tex. So it will be interesting to see how Jarmo plays his cards.

I think that's just his injury. If he wasn't injured he'd be in the NHL right now.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Evander Kane. He could chip in 15-20 by December. Obviously they probably don't want to bring him into this locker room.

Val Nichushkin can score and he's huge, but he can't fight at all.

Mason Marchment can score and he's huge, but he can't fight at all.

Nick Paul is about 6'3 220 and might barely qualify - he might score 15 in a good year and is willing to fight, but with less than impressive results.

Nic Deslauriers topped out at 10 goals but he is a true heavyweight fighter and is smart enough to play well with talent around him. If we want to add a fighter at forward I think he'd be our guy.

-----------------------------------------​

It's possible we prefer to go for a fighter at D, since we want to add a bigger stopper on the back end anyways and it is crowded at forward.

Chiarot (LD), Gudbranson (RD), Zadorov (LD), Manson (RD), and Josh Brown (RD) are all UFA.

Josh Manson is a good hitter but kind bad at everything else, including fighting, and he'll be overpaid. We should steer clear.

I think if you can get one of the other guys at a good third-pair price then that's probably where we look.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I like what I've heard of Josh Brown, giant third pair RD with thump and fists

He's possibly the worst hockey player of that bunch but if he comes cheaply enough he'd have the advantage of being scratchable - we could slide him into the lineup if we need extra jam and take him out when we don't need him.

Personally I still want Gudbranson more but I haven't watched either of them lately.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Evander Kane. He could chip in 15-20 by December. Obviously they probably don't want to bring him into this locker room.

Val Nichushkin can score and he's huge, but he can't fight at all.

Mason Marchment can score and he's huge, but he can't fight at all.

Nick Paul is about 6'3 220 and might barely qualify - he might score 15 in a good year and is willing to fight, but with less than impressive results.

Nic Deslauriers topped out at 10 goals but he is a true heavyweight fighter and is smart enough to play well with talent around him. If we want to add a fighter at forward I think he'd be our guy.

-----------------------------------------​

It's possible we prefer to go for a fighter at D, since we want to add a bigger stopper on the back end anyways and it is crowded at forward.

Chiarot (LD), Gudbranson (RD), Zadorov (LD), Manson (RD), and Josh Brown (RD) are all UFA.

Josh Manson is a good hitter but kind bad at everything else, including fighting, and he'll be overpaid. We should steer clear.

I think if you can get one of the other guys at a good third-pair price then that's probably where we look.
Gudbranson has played good in Sutter's system but it's a question how he would play here. Zadorov is a walking turnover and bad in fights. I think although Deslauriers is a winger, we could get him. Also a strong d-man if his family isn't Zadorov.

Reactions: majormajor

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
I highly doubt Jarmo will start sending guys like Chinakhov, Boqvist, Bemstrom, Marchenko, Sillinger, Johnson or others to improve their crafts in Cleveland. It's not been a breeding ground for long term development in the past so I don't see it happening now. I'm hoping for a trade(s) to thin out the wing and solidify the defense and Jarmo signing another goalie. They may have to move somebody they don't want to move if they want to fill a hole.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
I highly doubt Jarmo will start sending guys like Chinakhov, Boqvist, Bemstrom, Marchenko, Sillinger, Johnson or others to improve their crafts in Cleveland. It's not been a breeding ground for long term development in the past so I don't see it happening now. I'm hoping for a trade(s) to thin out the wing and solidify the defense and Jarmo signing another goalie. They may have to move somebody they don't want to move if they want to fill a hole.
To me, it seems like Texier would be the guy that most other teams would want.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Does Texier even still want to be here? That entire situation is odd and bears watching.

If he does want to stay, then I think you keep him. If he doesn’t, you have to move him along.
I’m not convinced Texier wants to be in the NHL. He might have valid reasons for this but if he is back here next season I hope the team doesn’t stick his face on the arena, do a ton of marketing with him or have really high expectations for him. He’s not striking me as a guy who likes a lot of attention or pressure.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I’m not convinced Texier wants to be in the NHL. He might have valid reasons for this but if he is back here next season I hope the team doesn’t stick his face on the arena, do a ton of marketing with him or have really high expectations for him. He’s not striking me as a guy who likes a lot of attention or pressure.
What has he said or done that leads you to this conclusion?

Youngguns1380

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
What has he said or done that leads you to this conclusion?
(Me Paraphrasing)

Just listened to Porty’s Podcast with JD and straight from JD - Texier will be here with the Team in the fall. He is skating and working out but it was just unfortunate with his injury and personal situation. JD talked about how good Texier has been.

Also JD said that adding a physical player isn’t the total answer it needs to come from within the Team/Players, but if it is needed to protect younger players then they will.

Good thing about acquiring a lot of assets is being able to trade for something you need.

He loves Gavrikov, Laine, Sillinger, Chinnakov, Jenner, Voracek, Elvis, Z and mentioned Blankenburg. He pointed out all of these players but mentioned Gavrikov unprompted.

Asked does he want the Chicago pick this year or next year - he said doesn’t matter but if they get it this year they can already have a year of development. Feels lucky 🍀 about winning the lottery.

Says he loves the leadership and attitude of this Team and very excited about next season - great things.

Wasn‘t onboard with Larsen being the coach when he came back from the Rangers because they had already went through the coaching search process without him and he made the group go through everything again and said Larsen was still the best candidate.

Last edited:

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
I think that's just his injury. If he wasn't injured he'd be in the NHL right now.
What makes you think Foudy would be in the NHL right now (other than as an end of season call up) if not for his injury. He's still young but as of right now he's looked more like an AAA+ player. Great speed but has not shown the hands/skill/shot to be any more than a bottom six energy guy. If that's all he is...we have a ton of guys who play that role already. A lighter Eric Robinson perhaps?

Don't be mistaken, I hope the kid becomes more but the projection on him in his draft year was a third line guy that Jarmo over-drafted (NHL central scouting rated him the 19th best North American skater...a likely second rounder). I think Marchenko was considered the draft pick with the most upside and NHL potential in that CBJ draft.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
What makes you think Foudy would be in the NHL right now (other than as an end of season call up) if not for his injury. He's still young but as of right now he's looked more like an AAA+ player. Great speed but has not shown the hands/skill/shot to be any more than a bottom six energy guy. If that's all he is...we have a ton of guys who play that role already. A lighter Eric Robinson perhaps?

Don't be mistaken, I hope the kid becomes more but the projection on him in his draft year was a third line guy that Jarmo over-drafted (NHL central scouting rated him the 19th best North American skater...a likely second rounder). I think Marchenko was considered the draft pick with the most upside and NHL potential in that CBJ draft.

I meant that he'd be here in lieu of someone like Gaunce or Meyer if he wasn't injured.

A lighter more agile Eric Robinson is sort of what I imagine from him. Not a top six guy. One thing I saw from Foudy that I liked is that he is really good at zone entries and making a pass from there, so I think he's got some decent playmaking ability. I think he might pair well with some of our shooters.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
… I know, that’s why I think other teams would be calling for him out of any of the young guys.

And if we were loaded with guys that could forecheck and win battles like we used to be then I'd agree with moving him, but we're actually in dire need of that. Marchenko and Chinakhov offer more of what we have and Texier what we need.

Mikey09

Mar 28, 2013
Bratislava
Roster if we won't trade any players and without new from the system like Marchenko (not in order and the lines are only for better idea):

Robinson -- Kuraly -- Texier/Danforth/Foudy *
Jenner -- Sillinger ** -- Laine
Chinakhov ** -- Roslovic -- Voracek
Nyquist -- Johnson ** -- Bjorkstrand

Werenski, Blankenburg
Gavrikov, Boqvist
Bean, Peeke

Merzlikins/Tarasov

* Tex is the best but honestly, his injures aren't help him.
** Honestly, nobody from them will play in Cleveland.

Again, lines are only for better idea, the can change. But I would like to have three strong lines and not join Kent, Cole and Yegor together. Similar defense I tried to make three good pairs.

So, what do you think, whom we can replace?
Totally agree with your D selection. I said maybe a year ago, after Jones trade that Peeke will be paired with Z, as he was the only logical choice based on skillset and style of play after Jones‘ trade, and i definitely can see Blanks taking place as Z’s partner for a really long time as he is bringing really similiar level defensively as is Peeker but has another gear offensively. Gav-Boq seem also logical to me, style-wise, but it seems like there is 0 on ice chemistry between them, it may change and you never know, hopefully they will find it sooner or later as W-Blanks and Gav-Boq is pretty solid future top 4 with ton’s of potential which may not blow everybody out by names (except for Z), but will shut everyones mouth most games by their complete play.

On the other hand, your forward lines are total mess, im missing any logical point of them. Kuraly is playing an amazing hockey, love what he brings to the table, an amazing 4C which can be moved up in lineup if needed, but still a 4C. Im in love to finally see some “predictions” with Tex on wing, he is, plays and will be a winger so its time to stop thinking of him as of center, he doesnt have enough C’s skill to play there and is muuuuch more usable as a winger where he is top 6 lock longterm for me. We can bet on that Roslovic will get another chance to be a C for Laine at least from the start of next season, with Jenner as my personal favourit to complete that line. Johnson will be playing in AHL, he is still too far and too raw to be playing top9. Voracek-Sillinger-Bjork should be a lock, that line has everything you can ask for. That leaves Nyquist-Danforth-Chinakhov and Robinson-Kuraly-Tex as other two lines for me. Save it, we can come back to this post and look at it lets say in December 😉

Last edited:
Reactions: VT
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad