Speculation: 2022 off-season discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

LJ7

#80 #13
Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
I'd kick the can on Fiala. Fiala is a serious upgrade on our wings and if we can move a younger wing for him (idk, Marchenko+?) then that works.
Agreed. If they're reloading and really want to make the playoffs next year then that's the type of guy they should target. If he's willing to sign here then I'm all for sending a package to get him.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Agreed. If they're reloading and really want to make the playoffs next year then that's the type of guy they should target. If he's willing to sign here then I'm all for sending a package to get him.

Yes this is where ELCs are great currency, and we have a lot of them.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Blue Jackets in a tricky spot after 2021-22 season

This is a pretty good recap of this season and the questions facing Jarmo for next
Sorry, to suggest a coaching issue? Change coaches and GM? Way off the mark. Points out the obvious but nothing about the inexperienced youth. They have holes and obvious needs. They aren't going to be impatient and move youth for vets. The data was great but clearly McJesus would look average in h those charts. He did a nice job pointing out where they need to improve but no mention of the turnover, injuries, expectations shattered with the youngest team in hockey. His angle on change seemed way off to me.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2011
Sorry, to suggest a coaching issue? Change coaches and GM? Way off the mark. Points out the obvious but nothing about the inexperienced youth. They have holes and obvious needs. They aren't going to be impatient and move youth for vets. The data was great but clearly McJesus would look average in h those charts. He did a nice job pointing out where they need to improve but no mention of the turnover, injuries, expectations shattered with the youngest team in hockey. His angle on change seemed way off to me.
totally agree with parting with Lars or Jarmo is way off the mark. On the coaching front, the only change that wouldn’t shock me is if they brought in an experienced defensive coach. I think we all agree there ares one holes on this team, but I’ve no doubt the GM realizes this and will appropriately attempt to remedy. I’ll close by adding that while Laine isn’t a defensive stud, I don’t find him the defensive dud they attempt to show.

Last edited:

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
To me that article was a lot of vague conjectures and little substance.

Reactions: LJ7

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
It seems to me the “core” going forward is Jenner, Laine, Sillinger, Johnson, Roslovic, Kuraly and Danforth among the forwards. It would not be surprising if one of our first rounders from the upcoming draft is added to the list. That leaves four spots and lots of ammunition for Jarmo to turn some of the forward depth into one or two significant impact forwards.

As for the defense we have Z, And Gavrokov as set.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
It seems to me the “core” going forward is Jenner, Laine, Sillinger, Johnson, Roslovic, Kuraly and Danforth among the forwards. It would not be surprising if one of our first rounders from the upcoming draft is added to the list. That leaves four spots and lots of ammunition for Jarmo to turn some of the forward depth into one or two significant impact forwards.

As for the defense we have Z, And Gavrokov as set.
I think Bjorkie too. Although I wouldn't surprise if he's traded. Why? Because Jarmo would trade even John McConnell and John Davidson if he thinks it's necessary for the team.:sarcasm:

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Prior to this year I would have also thought Bjork. But this year he seemed to plateau and did not move up to that next level to make him a building block. He is a solid player and could play a role in a playoff team. But for now, I think Jarmo views him as expendable IF JARMO CAN USE HIM AS PART OF A TRADE TO OBTAIN SOMEONE WITH A HIGHER CEILING.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Prior to this year I would have also thought Bjork. But this year he seemed to plateau and did not move up to that next level to make him a building block. He is a solid player and could play a role in a playoff team. But for now, I think Jarmo views him as expendable IF JARMO CAN USE HIM AS PART OF A TRADE TO OBTAIN SOMEONE WITH A HIGHER CEILING.
The question is if young boys would replace him. Yes, this season isn't ideal but don't forget every player has similar seasons. Look at William Nylander. He had 54 - 7 - 20 - 27 in 2018/19 season. We could say it about him too. But he was again very good in the next season. And it's only points stats. There's still many things that Bjorkie makes. I think ideal the 2nd line winger. Or the 3th if play with three offense lines.

SlightlyStoned

Dec 7, 2018
What do you think about Jonathan Toews? Might be available for peanuts and Blue Jackets are among the few teams that could eat that awful cap hit. Toews might be tempted with top2 role in a team that fights playoff spot and has a good looking future. If things work out new contract could be negotiated with more reasonable cap hit.

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
What do you think about Jonathan Toews? Might be available for peanuts and Blue Jackets are among the few teams that could eat that awful cap hit. Toews might be tempted with top2 role in a team that fights playoff spot and has a good looking future. If things work out new contract could be negotiated with more reasonable cap hit.
He’s got 34 points which is a significant back step for his offensive game. Isn’t his skating shot too?

It would depend on texier’s status and the confidence level jarmo has in improving the center ice position next year. Toews would have to be

1: cheap to get, I’m talking really cheap
2. Chicago willing to eat a significant portion of the salary

To even think about it.

Because acquiring Toews means less of a role for Texier/Sillinger/Roslovic and basically shelving the Johnson center plan for another season. I’m not sure I’m willing to do that even if acquiring Toews for a young team would really benefit the room.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

I think you might just be selling low on him. The team is already lacking players that can both score and forecheck and play a complete game, so I'd sooner move one of our more vanilla players.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I think you might just be selling low on him. The team is already lacking players that can both score and forecheck and play a complete game, so I'd sooner move one of our more vanilla players.
Honestly I don't think Bjorkie should traded because he can be used in a lot of playing situations and I doubt he'll have similar %S again. But again, Jarmo is inscrutable and with poker-faced trades whomever.

Reactions: I3LI3

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
I'd be more in favor of Malkin IF we signifcantly improve the defense. Malkin has too many turnovers for my liking, but he would be a first line center on many teams.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Obtaining either Toews or Malkin makes no sense to me. Both are aging although Malkin is playing pretty good right now. I agree with CBJW's comment above that it would impact the development of the young centers. Neither of those guys would project the Jackets as a SC contender. Plus in 2 more seasons Nyquist & Jake both will be gone leaving either guy obtained as the lone senior citizen or they might be gone too. If Jarmo is really committed to a retooling, which I assume has a long term goal in mind,he should stick to it and if he adds any free agents they should be younger than these two guys.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
fighting may be down 90%, but the Jackets still need someone who can drop the gloves

or at least stand up to goons like Kassian

You can't go another season not protecting your star players

I was feeling Robinson's pain on that one. We're asking our guys to fight up a weight class and it ain't pretty.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Roster if we won't trade any players and without new from the system like Marchenko (not in order and the lines are only for better idea):

Robinson -- Kuraly -- Texier/Danforth/Foudy *
Jenner -- Sillinger ** -- Laine
Chinakhov ** -- Roslovic -- Voracek
Nyquist -- Johnson ** -- Bjorkstrand

Werenski, Blankenburg
Gavrikov, Boqvist
Bean, Peeke

Merzlikins/Tarasov

* Tex is the best but honestly, his injures aren't help him.
** Honestly, nobody from them will play in Cleveland.

Again, lines are only for better idea, the can change. But I would like to have three strong lines and not join Kent, Cole and Yegor together. Similar defense I tried to make three good pairs.

So, what do you think, whom we can replace?

Last edited:

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Well here is my response:

Laine Roslovic Voracek
Johnson Sillinger Bjorkstrand
------ Jenner --------
Robinson Kuraly Danforth

That leaves 2 spots with Nyquist, Texier, Bemstrom, Chinakov, Meyer, Marechenko, TRW, Angel and our first round picks from the upcoming draft. That is a crowd. One of those two vacanies will go to a guy who is not on the roster who will be skilled yet also capable of being a physical protector for the rest of the forwards. Lots of room here from which Jarmo can start dealing. I suspect there will be more than one deal.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Roster if we won't trade any players and without new from the system like Marchenko (not in order and the lines are only for better idea):

Robinson -- Kuraly -- Texier/Danforth/Foudy *
Jenner -- Sillinger ** -- Laine
Chinakhov ** -- Roslovic -- Voracek
Nyquist -- Johnson ** -- Bjorkstrand

Werenski, Blankenburg
Gavrikov, Boqvist
Bean, Peeke

Merzlikins/Tarasov

* Tex is the best but honestly, his injures aren't help him.
** Honestly, nobody from them will play in Cleveland.

Again, lines are only for better idea, the can change. But I would like to have three strong lines and not join Kent, Cole and Yegor together. Similar defense I tried to make three good pairs.

So, what do you think, whom we can replace?
Maybe nobody will go to the AHL, but I hate that. There's nothing wrong with giving a kid like Chinakhov a year in Cleveland to work on his game.

If AHL is off limits then I think we really do need to look for a big quantity for quality deal. See if you can get a Chychrun caliber D for some of our wingers. Maybe move Boqvist/Bean, Marchenko/Chinakhov, Foudy, that sort of thing.

Obviously it depends if the other team values your players as much as you do - you'll have to move the ones that they value more than you do.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Maybe nobody will go to the AHL, but I hate that. There's nothing wrong with giving a kid like Chinakhov a year in Cleveland to work on his game.

If AHL is off limits then I think we really do need to look for a big quantity for quality deal. See if you can get a Chychrun caliber D for some of our wingers. Maybe move Boqvist/Bean, Marchenko/Chinakhov, Foudy, that sort of thing.

Obviously it depends if the other team values your players as much as you do - you'll have to move the ones that they value more than you do.
I agree. Except Sillinger (I think he already doesn't need it) it would be good to play the next season in AHL for Chinakhov, Marchenko and Johnson (as a center). They need to learn to be leaders of the team. But if Jarmo said Marchenko will be the serious part of the team in the next season I don't think others will play in Cleveland. Bad is we can make similar mistake like with Foudy.
I again agree, we don't know what Arizona wants for Chychrun. I think it can want more in the off-season than during the season. So maybe it'll be better to work with our d-men, the next season can shows his qualities more.

Last edited:

5th Line Fanatic

Oct 2, 2020
I love this kid's attitude!

From Porty's Sunday Gatherings today-

“When you’re about to play (elite players), you have to stop thinking, honestly, and just go out and play,” Sillinger said. “Eventually, those are the players that I want to be one day, so I take this as an opportunity to learn from them, see how they play the game, and attack the game.

“When I played Crosby the first time, I was really like ‘Oh, my god, that’s Sidney Crosby.’ Now it’s kind of sunk in a little bit. But whenever you play these kinds of guys, you’re going to have a little extra juice.”

Reactions: CBJx614
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad