Speculation: 2022 off-season discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Why not, if Tarasov still is on an ELC.

Best case Korpi plays well, you trade him at TDL (or keep him for playoff run :sarcasm: )
Worst case he sucks and you play Tarasov and Elvis
Unfortunately Tarasov's ELC ends this season. They could do a 2 year deal with a 2-way in year one. He won't have to pass waivers next year but the year after he would. Sign Korpi to a 1 year deal if they want. I actually hope they hold on to JFB to play as insurance.

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
I get the thought process on bringing back korpi, he’d be cheap, he knows the guys, he’d know his role; and he’d have a chip on his shoulder

However it appears he is injury prone. And given the fact Elvis might be teetering in that same direction, we need a more stable backup that can fill in if/when Elvis gets hurt for a period of time.

I do think he will return, maybe even on a near minimum contract (1 year 1 million or so?) but I think I’d look elsewhere for the NHL backup

Another year of Berube/Tarasov/Greaves in the AHL is fine with me

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Korpi needs a fresh start elsewhere. I'd be more confident in him in a new environment. I love his personality but I don't want him as backup in Columbus.

Whether you sign one of Elliott, DeSmith, Koskinen, [40 other journeymen goalies] .... or just run with Berube/Tarasov/Greaves, I'm not sure if I have an opinion yet or if I ever will. But no Korpisalo.

Jive Pawnbroker

One day next week
Feb 18, 2009
on SCTV
I'm sure that Jarmo will be on the prowl for some Euro talent ready to step in ala Danforth, who has been a pleasant surprise. Someone who can add stability on the back end would be a nice add, Euro or otherwise.

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
Korpi needs a fresh start elsewhere. I'd be more confident in him in a new environment. I love his personality but I don't want him as backup in Columbus.

Whether you sign one of Elliott, DeSmith, Koskinen, [40 other journeymen goalies] .... or just run with Berube/Tarasov/Greaves, I'm not sure if I have an opinion yet or if I ever will. But no Korpisalo.
I believe the front office and coaching staff needs to know what they have in Tarasov. I guess my question- is the team and the player better if Tarasov remains in Cleveland and plays 50-60 games, or do they learn more and develop him better as Elvis's backup. He would be getting daily practice against NHL talent and probably get 20-30 starts against NHL teams. I personally think he'd be better off in Cleveland, but that's a Jarmo and Larsen call. If they go with sending him to the AHL, then there are lots of journeyman options. Letting Korpi could help the rest of the goalies develop.

A bit off topic, but I believe goalies are different than skaters. Most teams have skaters that are healthy scratches most of the season and don't get the same opportunities a typical backup goalie gets. Additionally, I would guess the NHL guys get more access to the goalie coach.

LoneFunyan

Proud of all the points
Nov 11, 2015
What the heck is going on with Texier? It's been 3 weeks since he was granted leave for personal reasons. I don't think we've had any update since then have we?

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
What the heck is going on with Texier? It's been 3 weeks since he was granted leave for personal reasons. I don't think we've had any update since then have we?
Supposedly back in Columbus. Unsure if it’s just got a check up on his hand or if he’s working his way back but I wouldn’t anticipate him returning this season

LJ7

#80 #13
Mar 19, 2021
Ohio

Yeah we can’t defend

If there aren't effective measures taken to at least marginally fix this by the coaches / FO this summer and next season that's when I'll begin to lose patience with the direction of this team. That's also why I don't share the concerns others have about Elvis because the team has way bigger fish to fry before we worry about him.

I'm glad the team at least can score goals at a high clip but the defense is unacceptable. This year's team was kinda what we all expected but cranked up to extremes.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Should the measures taken to improve the defense come via personnel or scheme?

I mean, there are five guys who are probably part of the group in Werenski, Boquist, Bean, Gavrikov and Peeke. The problems with those guys involve various combinations of youth, skillset and TOI/slot.

Is it enough to replace Kukan, Carlsson and Bayreuther with qualified NHL defensemen?

Is there something schematic at work? Will the young players work out their problems with the current season under their belts?

Last edited:
Reactions: MoeBartoli

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I'm not sure all the defensive woes can be laid at the feet of the d-men. OB is a -30, Chinakov a -25 and Sillinger a -22. Not all of those negatives can be blamed on the individual but hell OB has 25 g's to his credit. The F corps needs to improve D too.

Reactions: Xoggz22

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Should the measures taken to improve the defense come via personnel or scheme?

I mean, there are five guys who are probably part of the group in Werenski, Boquist, Bean, Gavrikov and Peeke. The problems with those guys involve various combinations of youth, skillset and TOI/slot.

Is it enough to replace Kukan, Carlsson and Bayreuther with qualified NHL defensemen?

Is there something schematic at work? Will the young players work out their problems with the current season under their belts?

We might get away with it just by having a sucky defense until the guys are sufficiently mature, but I'd rather not wait it out.

And in that case I will say there's no way to improve it simply be replacing our #6 guy. Kukan, Carlsson, and Bayreuther have all been fine as far as 6/7 type guys. Our problem is that Boqvist, Bean, and Peeke are playing a couple spots too high in the lineup. They should be in #4 - #6 roles until they're ready.

Werenski - xx
Gavrikov - Peeke/Boqvist
Bean - Boqvist/Peeke

Something like that. Go hard at Zub and Chychrun.

Edit: Just noticing your first question - certainly the measures should come via personnel and also I think via scheme, though I'm less confident that I personally understand that. I know that we're currently playing a man-defense system and that the players are failing at it. A zone-defense system would be more idiot-proof.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
We might get away with it just by having a sucky defense until the guys are sufficiently mature, but I'd rather not wait it out.

And in that case I will say there's no way to improve it simply be replacing our #6 guy. Kukan, Carlsson, and Bayreuther have all been fine as far as 6/7 type guys. Our problem is that Boqvist, Bean, and Peeke are playing a couple spots too high in the lineup. They should be in #4 - #6 roles until they're ready.

Werenski - xx
Gavrikov - Peeke/Boqvist
Bean - Boqvist/Peeke

Something like that. Go hard at Zub and Chychrun.

Edit: Just noticing your first question - certainly the measures should come via personnel and also I think via scheme, though I'm less confident that I personally understand that. I know that we're currently playing a man-defense system and that the players are failing at it. A zone-defense system would be more idiot-proof.
I think Boqvist and Bean can progress. They don't have too much experiences in this season yet. But ones have to be stronger. Peeke... I don't know, he can be stronger but his play with the puck, hockey vision...🤔

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2011
I'd love to have Valiquette explain how he thinks this skews xGA numbers. My guess is that xGA still hasn't even come close to capturing this aspect of defense. I think we're really hanging the goalies out to dry, more than the xGA even captures.
I wonder if our susceptibility to cross ice passes is related to playing man vs zone defense?

Jovavic

Concept of a Plan
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
I feel we need a reverse Foligno/Methot trade where we trade a young but established forward like maybe Texier for a RD of similar quality. Can anyone think of any?

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
I feel we need a reverse Foligno/Methot trade where we trade a young but established forward like maybe Texier for a RD of similar quality. Can anyone think of any?
2021-22 Active NHL Players - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

You like any of these search results? I'm not sure if the filters I used there are ideal for finding Marc Methot'esque RDs.

Perhaps that Björk guy Boumedienne was scouting in SHL will become our new Methot?

Reactions: Jovavic

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
I'd love to have Valiquette explain how he thinks this skews xGA numbers. My guess is that xGA still hasn't even come close to capturing this aspect of defense. I think we're really hanging the goalies out to dry, more than the xGA even captures.
Yeah I'd like to know how xGA is affected by turnovers in the defensive zone, and how we rank in that statistic, if it's even tracked.

Our defensive problems seem to be a domino effect of losing the puck, having tired legs remain on the ice, scrambling around, and having a system that is too rich for some of our guys.

Generally I think our passing and puck carrying abilities are bad overall. You watch some of the better teams and they are all in sync, having very few mistakes with the puck. We tend to fumble it a lot IMO.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
I agree we need a short term plug-in to play next to Z, and a scheme adjustment. Peeke has done better than I expected him to next to Z and could be truly ready for that role soon. It’s a shame he didn’t play much in a dead year last year. Boqvist needs to play with a true stay at home guy. I thought he would work well next to Gav but maybe not. We should definitely take a D-man with one of our top picks, hopefully one of those top 2 guys is there.

I also wanted to ask if we have an inkling on Pyhhtia for next year. Playing in Columbus or Cleveland perhaps?

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I agree we need a short term plug-in to play next to Z, and a scheme adjustment. Peeke has done better than I expected him to next to Z and could be truly ready for that role soon. It’s a shame he didn’t play much in a dead year last year. Boqvist needs to play with a true stay at home guy. I thought he would work well next to Gav but maybe not. We should definitely take a D-man with one of our top picks, hopefully one of those top 2 guys is there.

I also wanted to ask if we have an inkling on Pyhhtia for next year. Playing in Columbus or Cleveland perhaps?
There is current discussion on Pyhhtia in the prospects thread. I think someone said he has another year on his current contract.

Reactions: GoJackets1

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Laine
Voracek
Nyquist
Bjorkstrand
Jenner
Kuraly

Robinson
Roslovic
Bemstrom
Texier
Danforth

Sillinger
Chinakhov
Johnson

Meyer
Gaunce

Marchenko
Foudy
Voronkov

19 guys for forward spots for 2022/23

Gaunce is org depth and Voronkov is signed for another season overseas I think so cut that to 17.

Will the number be reduced via guys allowed to leave in FA or traded, or will they just stack Cleveland with promising kids?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad