Speculation: 2022 off-season discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
Plus the potential issues with Laine. Doubt its an option either way
That's my first thought as well. I don't think it's worth messing up the chemistry. Rather try to find another Voracek style trade. Find someone who can act as a vet/leader down the middle who isn't necessarily in the 3-5+ years plans but can act as a transition to (hopefully) Silly and KJ being able to grab the reigns without forcing it upon them.

Reactions: VT

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Maybe PLD really wants to stay in Winnipeg.

Post automatically merged:

Btw, what do you think who is our leader group now?
I think: Jenner, Werenski, Bjorkstrand, Nyquist, Voracek and Kuraly. Or Gavrikov and Merzlikins too?

Last edited:

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2011
Maybe PLD really wants to stay in Winnipeg.

Btw, what do you think who is our leader group now?
I think: Jenner, Werenski, Bjorkstrand, Nyquist, Voracek and Kuraly. Or Gavrikov and Merzlikins too?

I think Gav has assumed the locker room role Savard held, being friends with everyone, pulling people together and keeping things light when needed. It’s a role every locker room needs.

Reactions: VT

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
That's my first thought as well. I don't think it's worth messing up the chemistry. Rather try to find another Voracek style trade. Find someone who can act as a vet/leader down the middle who isn't necessarily in the 3-5+ years plans but can act as a transition to (hopefully) Silly and KJ being able to grab the reigns without forcing it upon them.
Maybe we don't need. It's possibility to use a good chemistry of a pair Laine - Jenner. As a practice showed Patrik didn't need a playmaker, on the opposite side, he could be an excellent one. The question is if we have two or three offense lines. Because we have a lot offense forwards and I doubt Johnson and Chinakhov will play in AHL. Only if trade.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
Maybe we don't need. It's possibility to use a good chemistry of a pair Laine - Jenner. As a practice showed Patrik didn't need a playmaker, on the opposite side, he could be an excellent one. The question is if we have two or three offense lines. Because we have a lot offense forwards and I doubt Johnson and Chinakhov will play in AHL. Only if trade.
I love Jenner, but we still need better centers. Especially since his back problems aren't going away considering the type of problems he has and the style he plays.

It's still too early to know if those centers are in the room yet and KJ/Silly are still a little too young to throw to the wolves and find out. Easier said than done, but I'd love to find someone to come in and play a top 6 C role for 2-3 seasons. That will give KJ and Silly plenty of opportunities to take on more responsibilities and hopefully eventually take over the top 2 C roles by the time said players contract is up.

Having said that I don't know who that player would be or if they are even available/exist currently.

Youngguns1380

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
I love Jenner, but we still need better centers. Especially since his back problems aren't going away considering the type of problems he has and the style he plays.

It's still too early to know if those centers are in the room yet and KJ/Silly are still a little too young to throw to the wolves and find out. Easier said than done, but I'd love to find someone to come in and play a top 6 C role for 2-3 seasons. That will give KJ and Silly plenty of opportunities to take on more responsibilities and hopefully eventually take over the top 2 C roles by the time said players contract is up.

Having said that I don't know who that player would be or if they are even available/exist currently.
That is my very question?

Do we go after Giroux, Ryan Strome or try to get Bo Horvath?

Reactions: CBJx614

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia

KJ must learn to be a center. But with Roslovic, Sillinger, Kuraly and a new center he couldn't do it in NHL and I doubt he will play in AHL (I think he should start there). I don't claim Boone has to play center 2-3 years. But Patrik can make partners (at least he did it in the last season) better and we could try KJ and Boone together with him. The first KJ would play LW later center. Of course if we would play with three offense line and he would get strength. Don't forget we build a new team. Of course if it would be a chance to get a center like Bo Horvath one would be another situation but I doubt we could get him.

@Youngguns80 please, not Ryan Strome.

Reactions: cslebn

Youngguns1380

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
KJ must learn to be a center. But with Roslovic, Sillinger, Kuraly and a new center he couldn't do it in NHL and I doubt he will play in AHL (I think he should start there). I don't claim Boone has to play center 2-3 years. But Patrik can make partners (at least he did it in the last season) better and we could try KJ and Boone together with him. The first KJ would play LW later center. Of course if we would play with three offense line and he would get strength. Don't forget we build a new team.

@Youngguns80 please, not Ryan Strome.
The thought about Strome and not overjoyed about it would be he plays with Panarin right now. KJ is a Panarin like type player with vision and puck handling. Have him grow into the Center position but you thought the same thing in your post but with Jenner instead of Strome

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
That is my very question?

Do we go after Giroux, Ryan Strome or try to get Bo Horvath?

I'd say we make a pitch to Giroux. Could be a great fit on a 2-3 year deal.

I don't care for Strome and don't want to pay the trade price for Horvat.

The thought about Strome and not overjoyed about it would be he plays with Panarin right now. KJ is a Panarin like type player with vision and puck handling. Have him grow into the Center position but you thought the same thing in your post but with Jenner instead of Strome

I haven't paid any attention to Strome in a while but last I checked Panarin was doing a lot of center-type things for him that KJ can't do, at least not yet. KJ isn't an instant transition player. Though if Strome has improved his defense then I might give it another thought...

Reactions: tunnelvision

Youngguns1380

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
I'd say we make a pitch to Giroux. Could be a great fit on a 2-3 year deal.

I don't care for Strome and don't want to pay the trade price for Horvat.
I would say Giroux is my top choice and probably going to be the hardest to land. Especially if the Panthers go deep or Win the Cup

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
I'm less interested in bringing in a top 6 center than I was previously. I am convinced Roslovic is a #2 center, and Texier has potential to be the same (assuming we keep both of them). That leaves Sillinger into a developmental 3rd line C role who can play up and down the lineup, and Kuraly obviously in the 4th liner role. That's not even including Jenner, who played extremely well as the #1 C, or Johnson, who we think Jarmo still believes in to be a C. We have plenty of bodies able to play C, and its more important to let Texier, Johnson, Sillinger, and Roslovic develop in those roles than do a pickup like Giroux to make room for. We have enough glut at Forward as it is.

Obviously if there is an opportunity that presents itself (such as the Saad and Panarin deals) you do it. But usually that doesn't happen for centers. I like our young nucleus of centermen with Texier, Roslovic, and Sillinger.

I'm more interested in adding some size and grit into our bottom 6 and acquiring some stability on defense. If we can alleviate some of our forward depth in order to bring in a 2nd pairing guy to stabilize our back end, I think we're in business. I would also like to bring in a veteran backup G who can help Elvis, however I firmly expect Korpi to return on a one year prove it deal.

Reactions: Xoggz22

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Jenner is a hard player with excellent play around the boards, in the front of the net, defense. He can play against the best lines and support Laine in defense. Also he has very good chemistry with Patrik. Strome is a soft player. Do you know how he would play without Panarin? Sorry but I doubt we need a similar player.
And I hope Tex will play winger. He isn't a better center than Roslo, Boone or Sillinger.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I'm less interested in bringing in a top 6 center than I was previously. I am convinced Roslovic is a #2 center, and Texier has potential to be the same (assuming we keep both of them). That leaves Sillinger into a developmental 3rd line C role who can play up and down the lineup, and Kuraly obviously in the 4th liner role. That's not even including Jenner, who played extremely well as the #1 C, or Johnson, who we think Jarmo still believes in to be a C. We have plenty of bodies able to play C, and its more important to let Texier, Johnson, Sillinger, and Roslovic develop in those roles than do a pickup like Giroux to make room for. We have enough glut at Forward as it is.

Obviously if there is an opportunity that presents itself (such as the Saad and Panarin deals) you do it. But usually that doesn't happen for centers. I like our young nucleus of centermen with Texier, Roslovic, and Sillinger.

I'm more interested in adding some size and grit into our bottom 6 and acquiring some stability on defense. If we can alleviate some of our forward depth in order to bring in a 2nd pairing guy to stabilize our back end, I think we're in business. I would also like to bring in a veteran backup G who can help Elvis, however I firmly expect Korpi to return on a one year prove it deal.

You might have me persuaded about the centers.

Next year I'm fine running with Roslovic - Sillinger - Jenner - Kuraly as our main centers. Danforth and maybe even KJ can get a look. Texier is probably not on my center list, I think he adds more value in the corners.

I still would be kicking the can on winger upgrades in general - if we can make winger for winger trades. Kevin Fiala would be a big upgrade for us.

Reactions: CBJWerenski8 and VT

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137

My only hesitation with Roslovic is I don't think he's consistent enough. He didn't really look like a center until the last month or two. I wouldn't be surprised if half his point total came from that time period. I'd gladly be proven wrong, but if we have a chance to grab Giroux...

He and Voracek are already close and he would fit a team need perfectly. I just feel like we need one more proven center that forces some competition at the center position.

Edit: checked outta curiosity 13 p in 14 gp over the last month

20 pts over the last two months (28gp)

27 pts over the last 3 months (36 gp)

Fun fact. Over the last 3 months, Roslovic outproduced PLD!

Last edited:

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
I don't see Jack as a 1C. Yes he occasionally gets his points but (especially with Jake) I don't think there is enough there defensively.
Maybe he is our best alternative but me personally I trust Jenner much more with the extra minutes.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
I do not believe tha making the playoffs next year is a target for Jarmo. I think he knows he still needs to marinate this roster fro another year before “going for it” in2023-2024. Thus he will not be adding an aging vet to the mix while still sorting out his longer term plan.

Reactions: GoJackets1

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017

Well it certainly sounds like things are going down in Winnipeg. First with PLD's comments now this.

Scheifele would be too much of a "win now" piece for us I think, likely costing us one of our firsts and Sillinger, so I wouldn't be interested in that, but its an option that might be out there.

Scheifele seems like a massive snob. I suspected he was the main reason Laine wanted out of Winnipeg, and based on Statsny's comments about 'someone' in Jets room, I was probably right.

Wouldnt touch him with a five feet pole after everyone just praised how great the room was this season.

Reactions: CBJWerenski8

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
My only hesitation with Roslovic is I don't think he's consistent enough. He didn't really look like a center until the last month or two. I wouldn't be surprised if half his point total came from that time period. I'd gladly be proven wrong, but if we have a chance to grab Giroux...

He and Voracek are already close and he would fit a team need perfectly. I just feel like we need one more proven center that forces some competition at the center position.

Edit: checked outta curiosity 13 p in 14 gp over the last month

20 pts over the last two months (28gp)

27 pts over the last 3 months (36 gp)

Fun fact. Over the last 3 months, Roslovic outproduced PLD!

I'd pointed this out in the past but Roslovic started playing much better once he was put on the PK. The responsibility seems to have kick started his game and possibly forced him to simplify his game. That same switch flipped with Rick Nash when Hitch made him do that. We'll see long term but I feel positive that we may have seen the switch flip for Roslovic and he can be much more consistent next season if he takes his offseason prep seriously enough.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Scheifele seems like a massive snob. I suspected he was the main reason Laine wanted out of Winnipeg, and based on Statsny's comments about 'someone' in Jets room, I was probably right.

Wouldnt touch him with a five feet pole after everyone just praised how great the room was this season.
Agreed. I don’t necessarily think that was the purpose of the post, but I would stay far away from Schiefele.

Reactions: LJ7

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
I'd pointed this out in the past but Roslovic started playing much better once he was put on the PK. The responsibility seems to have kick started his game and possibly forced him to simplify his game. That same switch flipped with Rick Nash when Hitch made him do that. We'll see long term but I feel positive that we may have seen the switch flip for Roslovic and he can be much more consistent next season if he takes his offseason prep seriously enough.
I'll feel better about him if he picks up where he left off next season. It wouldn't be the first time we've had someone play out of their mind during the "meaningless" games only to come into the regular season and look borderline invisible.

LJ7

#80 #13
Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
If the team really wants to make the playoffs next year then the top 6 and/or top 4 needs an outside boost. Thing is I'm not crazy about Malkin or Kadri and I'm not even thinking about Gaudreau. The only top flight FA guy I want is Giroux. Not sure what he wants in this phase of his career but I think this roster and locker room would be appealing. Outside of maybe JT Miller (probably would have to give too much and about to expire) none of the trade target guys really excite me besides Chychrun, but Garland would be nice if cheap. Fiala would be great but I think Minnesota keeps him and cheaps out some on their D instead. Hopefully a few teams get swept first round and hit the panic button which would open up the market more.

If we traded for Schiefele (we won't) I'd probably dramatically fall to my knees in despair on the spot. He's not what we need. I know nobody was clamoring for that but I just wanted to make a point.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio

I'm in agreement on multiple fronts. I loved Texier's game this year before he was injured and eventually given his leave. I'm not sure he becomes a Center but seems like he's got the skill set. he's also got grit and can be a pain in the ass to play against. Since we're dealing with "Ifs" and "Buts" (you know... if Ifs and Buts were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas), those three, to me, hitting 2C type level of play would be outstanding and, again, to me, covers for the lack of a big time 1C. At least buys time for when we draft Cooley this year :)

I think the back end is the primary focus this off season with the addition of some size and skill. I still see a hard push by Jarmo for Chychrun. Then next year is when we see some additional size and nastiness come to the forefront. Enter Voronkov! That could create other dominoes at the center position as well. Again, If/But.

It's going to be a fun off season and we'll be discussing such things for quite some time. Good times.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I can't help but focus on the forwards, just given the sheer number of them already in the system. It will either be an interesting offseason, as Jarmo moves some pieces around, or a really interesting camp, because there just isn't room for all the players assuming 13 roster spots. I realize there are some guys who need to be signed, but Gaunce is the only guy who's UFA and I don't see him as/never saw him as organizational depth. He's seen a lot of time in Columbus this season but that's been due to injuries.

Jenner
Voracek
Nyquist
Bjorkstrand
Kuraly

Laine
Roslovic

Robinson
Danforth
Texier

Sillinger
Johnson
Chinakov
Marchenko

Bemstrom
Meyer
Foudy

17 plus Gaunce plus the possibility of a kid drafted this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad