Speculation: 2022 off-season discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

LJ7

#80 #13
Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
I can't help but focus on the forwards, just given the sheer number of them already in the system. It will either be an interesting offseason, as Jarmo moves some pieces around, or a really interesting camp, because there just isn't room for all the players assuming 13 roster spots. I realize there are some guys who need to be signed, but Gaunce is the only guy who's UFA and I don't see him as/never saw him as organizational depth. He's seen a lot of time in Columbus this season but that's been due to injuries.

Jenner
Voracek
Nyquist
Bjorkstrand
Kuraly

Laine
Roslovic

Robinson
Danforth
Texier

Sillinger
Johnson
Chinakov
Marchenko

Bemstrom
Meyer
Foudy

17 plus Gaunce plus the possibility of a kid drafted this year.
I forget which podcast it was said on but Chinakhov was apparently completely willing to play in the AHL this season. Not sure if that still stands for next year but I kinda wonder if we see a Foudy-Johnson-Chinakhov line in the AHL or something like that. Larsen just talked again about how the coaching staff tried to "get rid" of Sillinger but they couldn't justify it with how well he did in camp and all. I think the team truly sees it as case by case and if they think Johnson or even Chinakhov aren't Columbus worthy they'll put them in Cleveland. Seems to me like all young guys truly get a fair shot at making the big club with no strings attached for better and for worse.

Reactions: CBJx614

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
I forget which podcast it was said on but Chinakhov was apparently completely willing to play in the AHL this season. Not sure if that still stands for next year but I kinda wonder if we see a Foudy-Johnson-Chinakhov line in the AHL or something like that. Larsen just talked again about how the coaching staff tried to "get rid" of Sillinger but they couldn't justify it with how well he did in camp and all. I think the team truly sees it as case by case and if they think Johnson or even Chinakhov aren't Columbus worthy they'll put them in Cleveland. Seems to me like all young guys truly get a fair shot at making the big club with no strings attached for better and for worse.
Larsen also just talked about how different guys on the team have different length leashes, Voracek is obviously allowed to make more mistakes than someone like Chinny or KJ.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2011

After making the trade deadline deals last year, the big surprise was the trading of Cam. I have said before I think Jarmo is going to swing big on some again, but I don’t know who might be that “core” guy who is traded. (Admittedly I’m sure hoping it’s not Bjorkstrand.) I tend to think the D will see some market action.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Scheifele seems like a massive snob. I suspected he was the main reason Laine wanted out of Winnipeg, and based on Statsny's comments about 'someone' in Jets room, I was probably right.

Wouldnt touch him with a five feet pole after everyone just praised how great the room was this season.

Listening to the rumours these couple of years maybe just maybe Laine wasn’t the issue.

Laine leaves and the same problems are still there, while in Columbus the team is like family

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
After making the trade deadline deals last year, the big surprise was the trading of Cam. I have said before I think Jarmo is going to swing big on some again, but I don’t know who might be that “core” guy who is traded. (Admittedly I’m sure hoping it’s not Bjorkstrand.) I tend to think the D will see some market action.
Not to be that guy, but I’m thinking Roslovic will be moved to get a better C.

Youngguns1380

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
Not to be that guy, but I’m thinking Roslovic will be moved to get a better C.
I think the only core guys (meaning that it would have to be something crazy to trade) are:

Laine
Sillinger
Werenski
Jenner
Johnson
Gavrikov
Voracek
Kuraly
Merzlikins
Texier
Chinnakov
Marchenko

I think everyone else could be open conversations to upgrade or package together to upgrade

For Instance - Chychrun, Crouse (20 goal scorer) for 1st round pick, Boqvist, Roslovic, Bemstrom (don’t beat me up just spit balling)

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I can't help but focus on the forwards, just given the sheer number of them already in the system. It will either be an interesting offseason, as Jarmo moves some pieces around, or a really interesting camp, because there just isn't room for all the players assuming 13 roster spots. I realize there are some guys who need to be signed, but Gaunce is the only guy who's UFA and I don't see him as/never saw him as organizational depth. He's seen a lot of time in Columbus this season but that's been due to injuries.

Jenner
Voracek
Nyquist
Bjorkstrand
Kuraly

Laine
Roslovic

Robinson
Danforth
Texier

Sillinger
Johnson
Chinakov
Marchenko

Bemstrom
Meyer
Foudy

17 plus Gaunce plus the possibility of a kid drafted this year.
For once, I think this is the year you likely see 14 forwards kept on the roster rather than 8 defensemen (14-7-2). And I'm not sure if your breaks are based on probability of being with the big club or ??? However, I don't see any way Sillinger isn't in the top half of this list (as a roster lock).

I'm with you though... this is truly exciting to think about and discuss. The players you list are only players internal. I could see a couple moved and even a 1 year contract for someone with size/pugilism capability until Voronkov comes over next year (yes, I'm expecting that one too). My biggest enjoyment is putting groups together and deciding how things may play out at Center ice for this team. That's another big decision this off season if we aren't moving multiple players for a young 1C (I don't see that happening).

My thought is that Roslovic, Sillinger, Texier and Kuraly make up our top 4 centers this year. I really think they see Tex as a center. Playing him on a line with Boone would allow interchangable options. I would really like a 3rd line of Jenner, Texier and Nyquist. I'll play around with this later but I can't remember a time I've been this excited after a losing season and knowing it could be another non-playoff year next year. Just feels like a ton of talent and an actual plan and direction.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
And I'm not sure if your breaks are based on probability of being with the big club or ??? However, I don't see any way Sillinger isn't in the top half of this list (as a roster lock).

I'm with you though... this is truly exciting to think about and discuss. The players you list are only players internal.
To answer your question, they're sort of organized by category. The first group is vets, the next younger vets as RFA, etc. My breakdown is arguable (some might remove Meyer, for example, and consider him just a call-up option) and that wasn't really the point, although I did do it for my own benefit.

And yes only internal and as it stands right now (RFAs included). Lots could change. I just find it an interesting puzzle Jarmo has made for himself.

Reactions: Xoggz22

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
To answer your question, they're sort of organized by category. The first group is vets, the next younger vets as RFA, etc. My breakdown is arguable (some might remove Meyer, for example, and consider him just a call-up option) and that wasn't really the point, although I did do it for my own benefit.

And yes only internal and as it stands right now (RFAs included). Lots could change. I just find it an interesting puzzle Jarmo has made for himself.
Me too. I'm energized by this and after spending a lot of time and money on this team as a Day 1 Season Ticket Holder... this is awesome. I'll be sad to see some of the guys go because I know they will be but I also feel like the management collective is doing a good job of judging talent. Not always 100% successful but I think more hits than misses and more optimism than pessimism.

Reactions: Cowumbus

Youngguns1380

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
Me too. I'm energized by this and after spending a lot of time and money on this team as a Day 1 Season Ticket Holder... this is awesome. I'll be sad to see some of the guys go because I know they will be but I also feel like the management collective is doing a good job of judging talent. Not always 100% successful but I think more hits than misses and more optimism than pessimism.
Very cool you are a day 1 season ticket holder (been here since the beginning as well) After all the years this is the first off-season I am really jazzed. I feel this off-season is pivotal.

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I think if we gave Jack Roslovic #1C ice time consistently and put him back in the middle of the top PP like he was a year ago when he led the team in PP scoring, then he could score 70 pts. And he's shown a lot of improvement defensively lately. His battle level is higher than I've ever seen it.

The one thing I'm wondering about is how many of those points come against good teams when it matters. We already know he can score 3 pts a night vs Arizona.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I think the only core guys (meaning that it would have to be something crazy to trade) are:

Laine
Sillinger
Werenski
Jenner
Johnson
Gavrikov
Voracek
Kuraly
Merzlikins
Texier
Chinnakov
Marchenko

I think everyone else could be open conversations to upgrade or package together to upgrade

For Instance - Chychrun, Crouse (20 goal scorer) for 1st round pick, Boqvist, Roslovic, Bemstrom (don’t beat me up just spit balling)
I do agree that all of Boqvist, Roslovic, Bemstrom, Bean, etc.. would be in play if we had a chance at a big upgrade, but so would Marchenko and maybe Chinakhov. What does Marchenko do for us vs Bjorkstrand, who you didn't list? Why is he untouchable?

Reactions: MoeBartoli

Youngguns1380

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
I do agree that all of Boqvist, Roslovic, Bemstrom, Bean, etc.. would be in play if we had a chance at a big upgrade, but so would Marchenko and maybe Chinakhov. What does Marchenko do for us vs Bjorkstrand, who you didn't list? Why is he untouchable?
Mistake on not listing Bjorkstrand the only reason on Marchenko is size and see what you got in the fall

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Mistake on not listing Bjorkstrand the only reason on Marchenko is size and see what you got in the fall

Marchenko is more long than big, and maybe under the average strength of the NHL. That's based on what he looks like in the KHL, he might get stronger.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011

Laine
Sillinger
Werenski
Jenner
Johnson
Gavrikov
Voracek
Kuraly
Merzlikins
Texier
Chinnakov
Marchenko

Really narrowed the untouchable list...:sarcasm:

Reactions: CBJx614 and Xoggz22

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
Right now I'd have to say my core list would be

Laine
Werenski
Elvis
Silly
KJ
Bjork
Jenner
Boqvist
Gav

Some of those guys are pretty much untouchable, the others would take massive overpayment

I hesitated with KJ and Silly because they haven't really proven much yet, but they are expected to be key members moving forward.

While Boqvist isn't exactly a defensive stalwart, he was up there this season for goals by a dman. I see Werenski clone when I see him play. Give him 2-3 seasons to learn to play the right way and I think we can have two defensive pairs with 1A/1B on them...

Gavrikov is a great stay at home dman, not only that I think he's a great piece to attract Euro players. He seems to be a great guy off the ice (he was watching Elvis' baby for them last off-season) and he knows a lot of KHL/Euro guys it seems like. Kind of like it was nice to have Bob for Gavrikov, I think he(and others) act as a great ambassador to Euro and Russian players

If Voracek was a little younger I'd have him on that list. Who knows if he's gonna play 2 more years or 10.

Roslovic needs to be a little more consistent if he wants to be a core piece. He's shown his potential to the club, now he needs to show the league next season.

Peeke I think is a potential core guy. He could easily continue to grow his game and turn into a core guy.... Or he could stay how he is now, a solid dman but not necessarily one you hold on to as untouchable

Blankenberg.... The real wildcard. He looked fantastic to finish the season last year... But now let's see how he looks over the course of 82 games. That's a long way from the 20-30 games he played in college and is much more difficult to stay consistent through an 80 game schedule.

I'm sure I missed someone really important..I always tend to do that 😂

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
My untouchable list:

Werenski
Jenner
Sillinger (center who is very marketable - I know some women who love him)
Laine (assuming a contract is signed)

My close to untouchable list:

Bjorkstrand
Voracek (for this upcoming season, because of his teacher role)
Kuraly (they love having a Columbus kid on the roster)

I listen to offers for everyone but the untouchables. I don’t make a deal just to make a deal.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I think nobody is untouchable but I wouldn't like these players:

The 1th group:
Werenski
Jenner
Laine
Sillinger
Voracek
Tarasov

The 2nd group:
Boqvist
Bean (I think Jake is enough underrated)
Bjorkstrand
Kuraly

But I wouldn't be happy if Jarmo trades Robinson, Roslovic and Nyqvist.

Blankenburg and Johnson didn't play too much games that's why I don't count them, similar like Marchenko who didn't any game. Tarasov too but I know him still from KHL.

makethesave

Nov 8, 2021
I think nobody is untouchable but I wouldn't like these players:

The 1th group:
Werenski
Jenner
Laine
Sillinger
Voracek
Tarasov

The 2nd group:
Boqvist
Bean (I think Jake is enough underrated)
Bjorkstrand
Kuraly

But I wouldn't be happy if Jarmo trades Robinson, Roslovic and Nyqvist.

Blankenburg and Johnson didn't play too much games that's why I don't count them, similar like Marchenko who didn't any game. Tarasov too but I know him still from KHL.
One of, or both, Bean and Boqvist will be traded prior to training camp.

Reactions: Toe Pick

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
One of, or both, Bean and Boqvist will be traded prior to training camp.
I dont see it, I think both have way more potential and are younger than the Kukan/Harrington/Carlssons on the roster.

I think it would be a mistake to trade Boqvist so soon.

Reactions: Monk
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad