GDT: 2022 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Byfield ain't playing too hot either....
Byfield is still a teenager so I’ll give him some slack…for now

Having said that, there’s not a single GM in the NHL who would take him over Stuzle or Raymond in a 2020 redraft. Including Rob Blake

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Byfield is still a teenager so I’ll give him some slack…for now

Having said that, there’s not a single GM in the NHL who would take him over Stuzle or Raymond in a 2020 redraft. Including Rob Blake

BSU is constantly talking badly about him in his prospect thread. I would take his analysis with the tiniest grain of salt you could find.

duckaroosky

So sayeth Duckthulu
May 26, 2009
Long Beach, Ca
I saw Dr. Strange last night at 7:30 and came out to a 3-0 kings win. Thought I was in the wrong multiverse.

I hate both teams so much so I am rooting for maximum chaos and nothing creates chaos like a best of 3 series (well except for a game 7). And nothing is more entertaining than Oiler fans in a meltdown, fingers crossed.

Edit: 4-0 king win!

Last edited:

GunnarStahl

Let’s go shake their hands
Oct 13, 2020
I saw Dr. Strange last night at 7:30 and came out to a 3-0 kings win. Thought I was in the wrong multiverse.

I hate both teams so much so I am rooting for maximum chaos and nothing creates chaos like a best of 3 series (well except for a game 7). And nothing is more entertaining than Oiler fans in a meltdown, fingers crossed.
You are in a different multiverse, kings won 4-0

duckaroosky

So sayeth Duckthulu
May 26, 2009
Long Beach, Ca
You are in a different multiverse, kings won 4-0
Oops... you're right. When I checked in the theatre after the credits the game was still playing and at 3-0. Missed the 4th goal driving home.

dr-strange-dr-strange2.gif

Mortal Wombat

Dec 7, 2014
Being one of the league's least productive 5on5 players in the playoffs definitely does not dispute the narrative that he's unable to produce at playoff time.

Sure, on one hand the fewer power plays does help explain away some of the lack of production, obviously he'd put up a few more points with more PP time. However, the fact is that there are less calls in the playoffs, meaning that guys get away with more clutch & grab etc, and Gaudreau just can't seem to find or create the same time/space for himself in order to play his game and produce.
I have to comment on the bolded. I, too, thought that there are less calls in the playoffs, but the commentators during a recent playoff game (I so don't remember which game, not even which night) were talking about how there are actually more penalties called in the playoffs despite people constantly claiming the opposite.

So I did a quick google search to find some stats and these were among the first results:

According to this article, there have been more minor penalties called per game in the playoffs than during the regular season every year at least since the 2005-06 season:
https://www.pregameskate.com/p/are-less-penalties-called-during?s=r

Now, they measure it with minor penalties per game, so I started thinking about how much of that is due to overtimes i.e. more hockey played per game?

So here's an article where they exclude overtime periods. They also add in goal differential as context for the penalties (stats since 2017-18 season):
https://soundofhockey.com/2021/06/12/data-dump-penalties-called-in-the-playoffs/

There are still more calls in the playoffs. However, with the added context it seems that they call pretty much an equal amount of penalties both in the playoffs and during the regular season - except in situations where the goal differential was 3 or more goals (way more penalties in the playoffs in those situations). That makes sense as there will be more message sending and venting out of frustration once the game has been all but decided.

But still it looks like there are at least as many penalties called in the playoffs as during the regular season even in tight games, and I was a little surprised by this.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
I have to comment on the bolded. I, too, thought that there are less calls in the playoffs, but the commentators during a recent playoff game (I so don't remember which game, not even which night) were talking about how there are actually more penalties called in the playoffs despite people constantly claiming the opposite.

So I did a quick google search to find some stats and these were among the first results:

According to this article, there have been more minor penalties called per game in the playoffs than during the regular season every year at least since the 2005-06 season:
Are less penalties called during the playoffs?

Now, they measure it with minor penalties per game, so I started thinking about how much of that is due to overtimes i.e. more hockey played per game?

So here's an article where they exclude overtime periods. They also add in goal differential as context for the penalties (stats since 2017-18 season):
Data Dump: Penalties called in the Stanley Cup Playoffs - Sound Of Hockey

There are still more calls in the playoffs. However, with the added context it seems that they call pretty much an equal amount of penalties both in the playoffs and during the regular season - except in situations where the goal differential was 3 or more goals (way more penalties in the playoffs in those situations). That makes sense as there will be more message sending and venting out of frustration once the game has been all but decided.

But still it looks like there are at least as many penalties called in the playoffs as during the regular season even in tight games, and I was a little surprised by this.
Just curious. Is that math based on PIM or what is actual penalties called? Ie could fights being skewing the numbers? Since you actually said minors called I assume the former but wanted to make sure.

Mortal Wombat

Dec 7, 2014
Just curious. Is that math based on PIM or what is actual penalties called? Ie could fights being skewing the numbers? Since you actually said minors called I assume the former but wanted to make sure.
The first article only counts minor penalties. The second one doesn't say whether they also count major penalties, they only talk about the number of penalties (but a major would still only count as one penalty). However, since they take it further and see which team (leading/trailing) is assessed the penalty in non-tied games, I think they are excluding fights but I cannot be sure of that. But at least it's not based on PIM, so that shouldn't skew the math.

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
The first article only counts minor penalties. The second one doesn't say whether they also count major penalties, they only talk about the number of penalties (but a major would still only count as one penalty). However, since they take it further and see which team (leading/trailing) is assessed the penalty in non-tied games, I think they are excluding fights but I cannot be sure of that. But at least it's not based on PIM, so that shouldn't skew the math.
Sounds good. I'm actually a bit surprised by the result. I remember a few years ago Edm was eliminated and in that series edm had like 1 pp opportunity. Would seem that's an outlier but something to fixate on as it included McDavid.

Reactions: Mortal Wombat

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Perry got his cup already. I don't see the big reason to root for Lightning.
Much rather see Manson + Cogs or Andersen get a cup.

Mortal Wombat

Dec 7, 2014
Sounds good. I'm actually a bit surprised by the result. I remember a few years ago Edm was eliminated and in that series edm had like 1 pp opportunity. Would seem that's an outlier but something to fixate on as it included McDavid.
Yeah, I was surprised as well. That's why I posted it. I found those numbers interesting and thought that someone else might want to check out those articles, too.

Reactions: DavidBL

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
I'm not going to lie, I was in Vegas for that game 7 and I bet 5k against the Ducks. At least I made some money that night.... first time I ever bet against a team I rooted for that's how confident I was they would choke... Crazy.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Interesting to see some Ducks fans around here and on twitter not rooting for Tampa. With Perry now seems like it would be a No-brainer.
I’m rooting for Tampa to beat Toronto, but then I want them to lose in any subsequent round. I don’t care for their cap manipulation the last few years and think it’s bad for the game.

Besides, the Lightning has the curse of Perry. They’re going to lose in the Final.

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
I will always root against the Maple Leafs and the Kings... Just like I will always root against the Cowboys and Yankees. It's just embedded in my DNA at this point.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I’m not saying it’s likely to happen but it wouldn’t be completely shocking if PIT won their 4th cup with Crosby/Malkin. I think they will take care of Boston or Carolina pretty comfrarably

After some of the discussion about them blowing it up, that’d be wild

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I’m not saying it’s likely to happen but it wouldn’t be completely shocking if PIT won their 4th cup with Crosby/Malkin. I think they will take care of Boston or Carolina pretty comfrarably

After some of the discussion about them blowing it up, that’d be wild

I think Boston and Carolina are on completely different levels to the Rangers who are the worst team in the playoffs who got propped up by a historical regular season goaltending performance. I’m not surprised at all how bad they’ve looked, I think the Pens are a good team but they’re also incredibly lucky who their opponent is.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
I think Carolina would beat the Pens. Same with Boston but depends on what defensemen are available.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad