Prospect Info: [2022 - 62nd] Lane Hutson (NCAA - Boston University)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
"Lane Hutson who grew 4 inches in the 2 months following the draft..."

qX7Vo92.png
B-E-A-UTIFUL.gif

HomeAndHome

All aboard the Lane train! WooWoo
Mar 10, 2017
London, ON
i'm hoping he can continue his trajectory into becoming a quinn hughes type of player.. high risk pick, but worth the gamble.

hows his shot? I've heard all the accolades, but never watched tape on the kid.
His shot leaves some to be desired IMO. He won't need a heavy shot with Caufield, Suzuki, and Slaf on the PP though 😉

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
His father and brother had a late growth spurt in their late teens, they are 5'11.

He also brought some medical report to his interviews that shows he isn't done growing as well. Something about his bone - age. Don't fully understand it but it showed they prbly are still growing.

If he ends up 5'10-5'11 I think he has some insane potential.

Reactions: SlafySZN and Wats

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
It’s an accurate test … using bone age to chart his growth rather chronological age. Having said that, at 18, he’s running out of runway. At this point it would be pretty rare to grow more than another inch or two.

Love the pick.
I should have something similar done now in my old age... check to see why my bone doesn't grow anymore.

smcgreg

Jul 18, 2013
None of your business
I watched both here with the NTDP, and I would say that Hutson is definitely a "poor man's Quinn Hughes". He definitely reminded me of the oldest Hughes brother, but just not as dynamic. Definitely worth a shot at where they drafted him.

And I have to say, I'm loving seeing all these NTDP players in my favorite hockey organization -- Caufield, Tuch, Smilanic, Hutson. We've been season ticket holders since the NTDP relocated to Plymouth from Ann Arbor. The Habs rarely had a alumnus from our previous major junior team -- the Plymouth Whalers of the OHL. Just James Wisnewski for a short period of time.

Not really like Quinn at all other than he plays defense and can create offense. Quinn is all efficiency and smoothness. LH is explosive and choppy. QH is one of the most efficient skaters there is and is deceptive, because he doesn't look like he's going that fast... LH is quite the opposite. LH isn't a "poor man's" either. He is one of the most offensively productive D the program has ever had. He did that playing against men in the NCAA series much of the time. If he were a bit bigger, he would have gone quite high in the first round. As with CC, the Habs benefit in the draft from a player being perceived as too small. LH will be very effective on the PP and like CC, he will show the naysayers how wrong they were.

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
He also brought some medical report to his interviews that shows he isn't done growing as well. Something about his bone - age. Don't fully understand it but it showed they prbly are still growing.

Oh for sure, Hutson at 5’10 or 5’11 he could be scary good!

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
Even if he doesn’t fill out much more with his skating, skill, and hockey IQ he could play on the wing. Cole is super small as well.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
I'm the biggest Hutson homer on the board AFAIK

My evaluation is that he is a lock to be a highly productive regular season NHL player, but he may not be able to compete physically in the NHL playoffs, like a Girard or a Tatar. That is the big question mark.

If he shows that he can play at least average defense against NHL competition, he will be an all star.

Regardless, there is still a huge need for us to ice a more competitive regular season roster, and even if he can't play in the playoffs we still need a bunch of players to help get us there.

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
One of my cousins was like 5'5 130 pounds at 17. Now, at 23, he's about 5'11 and 165-ish. That is still tiny by my standards but he is a perfect example of some late-bloomers that are not done growing until later in their teens, early twenties.

Not saying Hutson will grow 6 inches or something crazy like my relative did, but just a tiny bit of growth, improved bone density that comes with physical maturity, some very hearty meals/training, and he could be on his way to a solid NHL career.

And as far as pure hockey skill goes, aside from a muffin shot and lack of physicality as a defender/player, Lane Hutson's got it all. So overall real happy about the pick. I had him markedly higher on my list.

Reactions: themilosh

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Smurf.Period
Habs continue tradition of finding the smallest player available.
Waste

At least it's only a 2nd. Remember that time we wasted a lottery pick on that smurf Caufield? WTF

And we previously traded 6'2 Pacioretty for the smurf at the time Suzuki. FFS

At least we drafted big centers in the 1st round like Kk, Poehling, and McCarron. More like that please!

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York

It is possible to track in what phase bones are (their age) by taking radiography of the hand. I'm like Lane, I grew 5 inches over a summer (3 months) when I was 15 and doctors called it 6 months prior.

Now, doctors don't know how much these spurts can give you precisely, while they can see the new segments being added.

If he's not done growing, he should take it easy with the training to let his bones mature. Training can cut short growth.

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
He really plays like Makar

Not sure how it works out as its rare to have it translate but in terms if raw skill and hockey sense, its off the charts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad