Prospect Info: [2022 - 26th] Filip Mesar (OHL - Kitchener Rangers)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
We've been saying the same thing all along....

Do you consider Price to be elite? if you ask me no and if you look at the stats the answer is still no. However there's a boat load of Price fans who would tell you otherwise. Where's this energy when it comes to the rest of the prospects?

We know a goalie cant score goals,
We know an elite shooter needs an elite playmaker
What about playmakers, don't they also need to play with teammates that can follow their rhythm?

There's no data that can demonstrate you the quality of the chances Mesar is creating, someone needs to see it with their own eyes.

The quality of the chances he's creating
How he's creating them
The frequency at which he's generating these chances

Then you have some tangible intangibles to account for:
-Elite Deking skills
-Elite Zone entry technique
-Elite puck control
-Elite vision
-Great Agility
-High IQ
-Great Speed with the puck
-And more

Just watch some of his games and listen to how the commentator was describing Mesar's plays, it will give you a glimpse on how good he was down there.

Based on what you've wrote, I don't believe you watched him enough to have a solid understanding of who he is as a player, right now you're just hating him for the purpose of hate.

Mesar was already playing with men before juniors, he was already exposed to opponents much stronger than him. Only a few teams provided some challenge for Mesar's team in the OHL, mainly the london knights.

We need to look how strong he got this summer, regardless.. he said he focused on strengh training, we have to see how it translates in the AHL. My guess, he'll have a similar production ratio as he did in Juniors. It will all depend, who he plays with and how much and how they'll play him.

As for Roy, he plays a simplier game, less talent is needed to do what he does therefore easier to replace than a Mesar. Kulich looks to be a high end power forward but not sure he'll be elite in his role. We cant compare these players, their roles are very different
Roy is way less dynamic, of course, but he's more talented imo. It's not because something looks effortless that it doesn't require talent.

Reactions: Faterson

Habs7631

Feb 28, 2017
For those of you didn't get a chance to see much of Mesar last year, HSD Prospects last week posted a video of Mesar best moments of last season. Both in the OHL and at the WJC. He's wearing #48 for Kitchener and #10 for Slovakia.

16 minutes video of Mesar with almost no replays, no music, pure highlights.

The offensive skills are obvious. The vision, passing, speed, skills, and the way he slows the game down. Those one touch passes. He processes the game at a really high speed.

But fuuuuuuudge does he look tiny out there :oops:

Last edited:

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
For those of you didn't get a chance to see much of Mesar last year, HSD Prospects last week posted a video of Mesar best moments of last season. Both in the OHL and at the WJC. He's wearing #48 for Kitchener and #10 for Slovakia.

16 minutes video of Mesar with almost no replays, no music, pure highlights.

The offensive skills are obvious. The vision, passing, speed, skills, and the way he slows the game down. Those one touch passes. He processes the game at a really high speed.

But fuuuuuuudge does he look tiny out there :oops:

Thanks for sharing. Mesar is really a player you have to watch to understand. His point totals font pop off the screen, but he plays a pro game and I think that doesn't always get rewarded in juniors.

I find that he doesn't over handle the puck as much as some of his teammates. His passing is precise (some of the assists even spectacular). I look forward to seeing him in Laval this year.

He needed to be in juniors to bulk up and further his development before going to Laval, but I am glad he will be there now. It will give us much more information on where he is and what he can do.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Thanks for sharing. Mesar is really a player you have to watch to understand. His point totals font pop off the screen, but he plays a pro game and I think that doesn't always get rewarded in juniors.

I find that he doesn't over handle the puck as much as some of his teammates. His passing is precise (some of the assists even spectacular). I look forward to seeing him in Laval this year.

He needed to be in juniors to bulk up and further his development before going to Laval, but I am glad he will be there now. It will give us much more information on where he is and what he can do.
The thing is Mesar has one really good NHL translatable skill , the entry and quick dish off the rush. He is really good at attacking a point on the ice with speed , drawing guys towards him and making a nice dish , the problem is hockey is wayyyy more than just doing that , its a skillset that guys like Gallagher or Anderson or Harvey Pinard can only dream of having , but there's so much more to hockey than that , I still have hope for the kid but he still needs to work on his overall game , I hope he can progress

Reactions: montreal and Tyson

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
The thing is Mesar has one really good NHL translatable skill , the entry and quick dish off the rush. He is really good at attacking a point on the ice with speed , drawing guys towards him and making a nice dish , the problem is hockey is wayyyy more than just doing that , its a skillset that guys like Gallagher or Anderson or Harvey Pinard can only dream of having , but there's so much more to hockey than that , I still have hope for the kid but he still needs to work on his overall game , I hope he can progress
Yeah a season or 2 in Laval may be needed. I have faith in this current management group to develop him properly. It's up to him, he will be given the opportunities.
No denying his skill set.

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
Sure. I am not christening him just year, but he has enough translatable skills to be a valuable piece moving forward if his development goes well.

I too would have preferred a better attitude two seasons ago, but what can you do? Not all 18 years old are at the same level of maturity. He still has a real chance.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
And did his linemates ever set him up? And how many times did they screw up a perfect setup from him?

Reactions: Bombshell11

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Sure. I am not christening him just year, but he has enough translatable skills to be a valuable piece moving forward if his development goes well.

I too would have preferred a better attitude two seasons ago, but what can you do? Not all 18 years old are at the same level of maturity. He still has a real chance.

There's also literally no pressure on him or us to develop him either.. he could spend 3 years in Laval.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
On the notion that Mesar didn't produce in the CHL because his skills are too high for junior,

1) How did McDavid, Kane, and Crosby produce in junior?
2) Will Mesar be able to produce in the NHL if he only has Roy or Newhook or Beck type players on his line?

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
On the notion that Mesar didn't produce in the CHL because his skills are too high for junior,

2) Will Mesar be able to produce in the NHL if he only has Roy or Newhook or Beck type players on his line?

I like Mesar a lot still and did in his draft year, but that claim was always insane.. it's a fringe take from someone who is clearly related to Mesar.

His production should be higher based on his level of play in the league but that is what it is.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Where's that elite coming from? Obviously not on stats so on your analysis watching all his games and seeing that his linemates blew all the chances? I guess it's a question of opinion then.

But there's no playmaking he'll be able to make if he can't be strong enough and quicker enough to get the puck, keep it and explore his options. That remains to be seen.

to answer your question...true not a lot of playmakers in this pool. Especially when you keep drafting d-men way high. I'd say though that Josh Roy is not too shabby. As far as Kulich is concerned, yeah, he's first a shooter. But his passing abilities are underappreciated.
Well so far Kulich has been crap in his pro career. I was not impressed with Mesar's linemates in junior. Will get a real idea of his potential this season,.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Roy is way less dynamic, of course, but he's more talented imo. It's not because something looks effortless that it doesn't require talent.
I agree, Roy has that Suzuki smoothness where they are skilled enough to make the most slight adjustments to protect puck and think game at high level. Really hope Roy can translate to NHL level. Mesar seems more flashy and needs to be fast+agile to achieve this.

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
I like Mesar a lot still and did in his draft year, but that claim was always insane.. it's a fringe take from someone who is clearly related to Mesar.

His production should be higher based on his level of play in the league but that is what it is.

Do you see ghosts at night?

Just check his tenure with Slovakia vs Kitchener, its day and night.

And the fact we're comparing Mesar to McDavid is great, we're basically speaking the same language but with a different dialect. We dont understand each other but we're saying the same thing.

Who did McDavid play with exactly? Dylan Strome and Alex DeBrincat both NHL PPG players (relatively) ... what about Mesar? ...Francesco Pinelli? Francesco Arcuri ? gimme a break

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Brock Ottens rating and evaluation:

1724091532872.png

junyab

Jan 22, 2013

I'm not sure how Mesar being better than a few of his linemates translated into him being better than all of the CHL.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Do you see ghosts at night?

Just check his tenure with Slovakia vs Kitchener, its day and night.

And the fact we're comparing Mesar to McDavid is great, we're basically speaking the same language but with a different dialect. We dont understand each other but we're saying the same thing.

Who did McDavid play with exactly? Dylan Strome and Alex DeBrincat both NHL PPG players (relatively) ... what about Mesar? ...Francesco Pinelli? Francesco Arcuri ? gimme a break

I wonder if McDavid helped make Strome and DeBrincat.

Regardless, did Mesar actually have lesser linemates then all the NHL greats that destroyed junior? Didn't all of nearly all NHL forward greats that played in the CHL destroy the CHL?

Reactions: electron58

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad