Prospect Info: [2022 - 26th] Filip Mesar (OHL - Kitchener Rangers)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
What strange is that we mostly now believe and for some appreciate that this management draft for needs. And since it's easier to evaluate....what needs did Mesar brought? If we had enough smaller players to not draft Michkov or Benson or this year's Catton..we didn't have enough smaller players drafting Mesar? Which smaller players did we add between Mesar's and the following drafts so that it makes Mesar a needs, and didn't make the others? If you wanted pure talent....what did Mesar have that Kulich, a bigger guy didn't have?

Anyway, REALLY can't wait what Vincent will do with him. That's the most interesting story this year in Laval. And of course seeing Reinbacher evolves.

Kulich = goal scorer
Mesar = elite playmaker

Literally find me one player in the nhl or ahl that can create legit scoring chances from dead plays. Hes a true tacticien, he creates opportunities where there's none. He can deke in a phone booth. In kitchener he would attract 2-3 players on him and pass the puck to open teammates for said teammates to fumble the puck, miss the net or be late on the play.

His teammates were so bad, sometimes they would just bail the play Mesar was creating because they thought it was over because they never saw someone control the puck the way he did.

Just show me a player that is a better playmaker in our organisation.

Demidov? maybe im with you. I consider Demidov to become a generational talent.

The hockey gods have given you 2 great players, Mesar and Demidov. Be happy and enjoy the show

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Simply not true. According to one of his teammates in Kitchener. And just read his interview on the previous page. People just love to hate.
Can’t say I fallow him that much, I’ve lost hope on him but each time I see something about him, it’s him complaining about his teammates/him being send in the OHL/his usage

junyab

Jan 22, 2013
He'll have to avoid playing on the periphery as a Pro to become elite.
Let's start with that first and then make more educated prognostications as we go. :popcorn:

I'd love to see him become a high event forward regardless of where he lines up.
That is definitely his comfort zone.

Kulich = goal scorer
Mesar = elite playmaker

Literally find me one player in the nhl or ahl that can create legit scoring chances from dead plays. Hes a true tacticien, he creates opportunities where there's none. He can deke in a phone booth. In kitchener he would attract 2-3 players on him and pass the puck to open teammates for said teammates to fumble the puck, miss the net or be late on the play.

His teammates were so bad, sometimes they would just bail the play Mesar was creating because they thought it was over because they never saw someone control the puck the way he did.

The hockey gods have given you 2 great players, Mesar and Demidov. Be happy and enjoy the show
This is 100% correct to what I saw all year.

Garnet76

Dec 3, 2017
Chatham Ontario
I've watched a lot of Mesar and he does have some elite skills in my opinion. He was a high ceiling low floor pick. Swing for the homerun if you will. He does need to get stronger, work on his shooting, and drive the center of the ice more in my opinion but the kid is an elite passer, can carry the puck and find open space. Boom or bust pick and exactly what I want too see from a rebuilding team with a lot of draft capital. If, big IF he puts it together he's a top 6 forward.

junyab

Jan 22, 2013
People just expected him to light it up in Kitchener, and maybe he could have if he wasn't focusing solely as a playmaking set up man. At least he knows he needs to expand his game to keep moving forward. He's still very far from being a bust.

Reactions: Paddy17

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Kulich = goal scorer
Mesar = elite playmaker

Kulich is already a bust. Measr still has potential.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
People just expected him to light it up in Kitchener, and maybe he could have if he wasn't focusing solely as a playmaking set up man. At least he knows he needs to expand his game to keep moving forward. He's still very far from being a bust.

If he was more of a complete player like Beck, I'd still have hope.

But he's a small guy who's supposed to bring offense, and is still trying to figure out his offense.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I've watched a lot of Mesar and he does have some elite skills in my opinion. He was a high ceiling low floor pick. Swing for the homerun if you will. He does need to get stronger, work on his shooting, and drive the center of the ice more in my opinion but the kid is an elite passer, can carry the puck and find open space. Boom or bust pick and exactly what I want too see from a rebuilding team with a lot of draft capital. If, big IF he puts it together he's a top 6 forward.
Great take. More or less what I see. I saw flashes of him attacking that center ice more but you want to see it more consistently. He’d even go to dirty areas but man he’s pretty weak and would get pushed off the puck pretty easily.

He’s got fantastic tools. Anyone who says otherwise isn’t worth even taking seriously.
He’s got lots of work to do and some very stiff competition but I said it last year that he’s likely our toolsiest forward prospect.

He was electric at the WJCs. Was going at quite the clip till the injury and had a damn fine playoffs. There’s tons to work with.

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
Kulich = goal scorer
Mesar = elite playmaker

I see a lot of Gretzky in Mesar, Keith.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Kulich = goal scorer
Mesar = elite playmaker

Where's that elite coming from? Obviously not on stats so on your analysis watching all his games and seeing that his linemates blew all the chances? I guess it's a question of opinion then.

But there's no playmaking he'll be able to make if he can't be strong enough and quicker enough to get the puck, keep it and explore his options. That remains to be seen.

to answer your question...true not a lot of playmakers in this pool. Especially when you keep drafting d-men way high. I'd say though that Josh Roy is not too shabby. As far as Kulich is concerned, yeah, he's first a shooter. But his passing abilities are underappreciated.

Reactions: Treb and themilosh

Guess

Jul 16, 2010
Brossard, QC
He'll have to avoid playing on the periphery as a Pro to become elite.
Let's start with that first and then make more educated prognostications as we go. :popcorn:

I'd love to see him become a high event forward regardless of where he lines up.
The Habs worked wonders with getting Dach at driving the net, as far as I remember, it will be interesting to see if they help Mesar use the middle more. I think Mesar will be able to adapt, but he's small and will need to be comfortable with dealing with the physicality. Hopefully he succeeds, otherwise he could go the way of Cody Glass.

Reactions: Rapala

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
Where's that elite coming from? Obviously not on stats

We've been saying the same thing all along....

Do you consider Price to be elite? if you ask me no and if you look at the stats the answer is still no. However there's a boat load of Price fans who would tell you otherwise. Where's this energy when it comes to the rest of the prospects?

We know a goalie cant score goals,
We know an elite shooter needs an elite playmaker
What about playmakers, don't they also need to play with teammates that can follow their rhythm?

There's no data that can demonstrate you the quality of the chances Mesar is creating, someone needs to see it with their own eyes.

The quality of the chances he's creating
How he's creating them
The frequency at which he's generating these chances

Then you have some tangible intangibles to account for:
-Elite Deking skills
-Elite Zone entry technique
-Elite puck control
-Elite vision
-Great Agility
-High IQ
-Great Speed with the puck
-And more

Just watch some of his games and listen to how the commentator was describing Mesar's plays, it will give you a glimpse on how good he was down there.

Based on what you've wrote, I don't believe you watched him enough to have a solid understanding of who he is as a player, right now you're just hating him for the purpose of hate.

Mesar was already playing with men before juniors, he was already exposed to opponents much stronger than him. Only a few teams provided some challenge for Mesar's team in the OHL, mainly the london knights.

We need to look how strong he got this summer, regardless.. he said he focused on strengh training, we have to see how it translates in the AHL. My guess, he'll have a similar production ratio as he did in Juniors. It will all depend, who he plays with and how much and how they'll play him.

As for Roy, he plays a simplier game, less talent is needed to do what he does therefore easier to replace than a Mesar. Kulich looks to be a high end power forward but not sure he'll be elite in his role. We cant compare these players, their roles are very different

Last edited:
Reactions: salwan and Walksss

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
We've been saying the same thing all along....

Do you consider Price to be elite? if you ask me no and if you look at the stats the answer is still no. However there's a boat load of Price fans who would tell you otherwise. Where's this energy when it comes to the rest of the prospects?

We know a goalie cant score goals,
We know an elite shooter needs an elite playmaker
What about playmakers, don't they also need to play with teammates that can follow their rhythm?

There's no data that can demonstrate you the quality of the chances Mesar is creating, someone needs to see it with their own eyes.

The quality of the chances he's creating
How he's creating them
The frequency at which he's generating these chances

Then you have some tangible intangibles to account for:
-Elite Deking skills
-Elite Zone entry technique
-Elite puck control
-Elite vision
-Great Agility
-High IQ
-Great Speed with the puck
-And more

Just watch some of his games and listen to how the commentator was describing Mesar's plays, it will give you a glimpse on how good he was down there.

Based on what you've wrote, I don't believe you watched him enough to have a solid understanding of who he is as a player, right now you're just hating him for the purpose of hate.

Mesar was already playing with men before juniors, he was already exposed to opponents much stronger than him. Only a few teams provided some challenge for Mesar's team in the OHL, mainly the london knights.

We need to look how strong he got this summer, regardless.. he said he focused on strengh training, we have to see how it translates in the AHL. My guess, he'll have a similar production ratio as he did in Juniors. It will all depend, who he plays with and how much and how they'll play him.

As for Roy, he plays a simplier game, less talent is needed to do what he does therefore easier to replace than a Mesar. Kulich looks to be a high end power forward but not sure he'll be elite in his role. We cant compare these players, their roles are very different
???

CHL goalie of the year on a poor Tri City team, WJC & Olympics goalie of the tournament, AHL Calder Cup MVP, NHL MVP & Vézina

Best playoff sv pct of any goalie from 2014-2021

The only trophy Price didn’t win was the Cup..without the supporting cast

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
???

CHL goalie of the year on a poor Tri City team, WJC & Olympics goalie of the tournament, AHL Calder Cup MVP, NHL MVP & Vézina

Best playoff sv pct of any goalie from 2014-2021

The only trophy Price didn’t win was the Cup..without the supporting cast

Those are not stats? Those are hardware.

Sv%, win%, gaa etc

Habs7631

Feb 28, 2017
Kulich = goal scorer
Mesar = elite playmaker

Habs need to send you to Winnipeg. You could probably convince Chevy to trade McGroarty for Mesar 1 for 1.

Hell you could probably convince Chevy to give us McGroarty + 2025 1st for Mesar.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
I think the best comparable for him is Tomas Tatar.

Both are Slovaks, both are 5"10, both are wingers, both have great skating ability and great hands aswell.

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
Kulich = goal scorer
Mesar = elite playmaker

Mesar agent working the "thread" narrative.. trying to up his value so another team might bite.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad