Prospect Info: Filip Mesar

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

JT3

May 27, 2013
I'm by no means Mesar's #1 fan, he has a few very high end tools but the overall consistency and size leaves a lot to be desired. However the most annoying part of the discourse surrounding him here is that he is the exact kind of pick everybody on this board begs for in the later 1st round, a high risk/high reward swing for the fences. Well we swung for the fences, (and don't even know the result yet) and despite that people want to be upset about it. Can't please everyone I guess (or more precisely, the folks who want to be right all the time).

Picks like Mesar you probably have 10% chance of a home run, 15% double, 25% single, 50% strikeout. That's the way it goes when you draft for upside later in the round.

Goalfield13

In Bilbo We Trust
Aug 31, 2021
I'm by no means Mesar's #1 fan, he has a few very high end tools but the overall consistency and size leaves a lot to be desired. However the most annoying part of the discourse surrounding him here is that he is the exact kind of pick everybody on this board begs for in the later 1st round, a high risk/high reward swing for the fences. Well we swung for the fences, (and don't even know the result yet) and despite that people want to be upset about it. Can't please everyone I guess (or more precisely, the folks who want to be right all the time).

Picks like Mesar you probably have 10% chance of a home run, 15% double, 25% single, 50% strikeout. That's the way it goes when you draft for upside later in the round.
Yeah, we hit on Hutson and missed on Mesar. It is what it is.

Habs

I've almost had enough of you kids
Feb 28, 2002
people still thinking this 'lets make Slaf Happy by drafting his buddy with a super high pick' is anything but an AHL player are dreaming.

Reactions: Goalfield13

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
mock me all you want, they played together knew each other and celebrated when he picked him :)
I did not post that to mock you. It was just a friendly reminder that cause-and-effect relationship are always dangerous to make. It's not like Mesar was a out of left field pick. He was a little bit of a reach at 26th but McKenzie had him 30th and Bob is considered the reincarnation of Jesus around here. Some people act like we drafted him 15th instead of picking Lekkerimaki. I'd rather have Bystedt or Kulich but it's not like Mesar was a OMG the sky is falling pick.

Ieatsht4brkfst

Mar 22, 2024
I did not post that to mock you. It was just a friendly reminder that cause-and-effect relationship are always dangerous to make. It's not like Mesar was a out of left field pick. He was a little bit of a reach at 26th but McKenzie had him 30th and Bob is considered the reincarnation of Jesus around here. Some people act like we drafted him 15th instead of picking Lekkerimaki. I'd rather have Bystedt or Kulich but it's not like Mesar was a OMG the sky is falling pick.
were on a discussion board, like "OMG the sky is falling pick" where did I put any emotion in my message at all, just misrepresenting what I said, I brought up a plausible outcome, I also said in my message that he was slated to go around that pick, so its like you didnt actually read anything I wrote

Reactions: LaP

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
Questionable decision to put Farrell in the first line instead of Mesar. If you ask me

Game:
1st- He looked off in the 1st
2nd- Got a bit better in the second but overall din't play alot
3rd- Third he had a strong first shift
OT- No Ice time on the OT? Bad coaching decision. Regardless if you like Mesar or not, Mesar needed to be on the OT.
SO- Shot second, Made a nice play (much better than Farrell) but din't score.
PP- Was used on the second wave instead of first.

Almost had a point there:

Overall it seems to me that the coaching staff were focusing on other players tonight. They acknowledged his talent by putting him 2nd on the SO but ignored him on the OT? and for most of the PP, i hope they rectify this and give him more offensive duties.

Reactions: Skala24 and Nevins

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
Of course right now we’re still seeing too much smallish players in the line up lol but maybe in 3-4 years when pretty much only Caufield is small, they could have another one surrounded by bigger guys.
Depends on people. Some say Suzuki and Newhook are small even though they’re 200lbs or so haha. Our prospects are huge though. I would expect only Caufield and Hutson to be the sub180 lbs players on our roster in a year

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Questionable decision to put Farrell in the first line instead of Mesar. If you ask me

Game:
1st- He looked off in the 1st
2nd- Got a bit better in the second but overall din't play alot
3rd- Third he had a strong first shift
OT- No Ice time on the OT? Bad coaching decision. Regardless if you like Mesar or not, Mesar needed to be on the OT.
SO- Shot second, Made a nice play (much better than Farrell) but din't score.
PP- Was used on the second wave instead of first.

Almost had a point there:

Overall it seems to me that the coaching staff were focusing on other players tonight. They acknowledged his talent by putting him 2nd on the SO but ignored him on the OT? and for most of the PP, i hope they rectify this and give him more offensive duties.

While I respect you going to bat for an unpopular prospect, Mesar has only himself to blame for his play. The issue wasn't his linemate, it's that he's always relied on his skill on bigger ice. He's been incapable of creating or finding space. He needs to work on how he thinks on the ice.

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
Kulich for example disappeared for a long stretch last season. He looked good with good linemates against mediocre players in a prospect game. Have to see what he does in exhibition games. They may need to work with Mesar on giving 100%.
If you are not going 100% trying to make NHL, you are not going to make it. Europeans for some reason seem to struggle with this.

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
While I respect you going to bat for an unpopular prospect, Mesar has only himself to blame for his play. The issue wasn't his linemate, it's that he's always relied on his skill on bigger ice. He's been incapable of creating or finding space. He needs to work on how he thinks on the ice.

I dint blame his teammates per say but that pass he made could of been a goal.

But for sure his play without the puck looked very bad. He has a tendency to shy away from contact and also get behind the D which leads him to be out of position.

I see 2 issues here. The organisation does not respect his talents enough and he doesn't understand he needs to earn his 1st unit duties.

IM confident hes only going to get better from here

Reactions: Andrei79

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad