Speculation: 2022-23 Sharks Roster Discussion Part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
I'll bite. I guess.

Is this just a Hot Hodge Take? Not... saying you're wrong!

What exactly is it that you have seen that would force you to completely give up on him now? He legitimately looks like he has high IQ and in his 8 NHL games he improved basically every one of them.

So Bordeleau is basically washed up, NHL wise, in your opinion. Yet he still has value enough to flip for a former first rounder who you claimed played elite in the SHL last year? So whatever you see that makes him not an NHLer is something that Chris Drury cant see?
Bordeleau is small, passive, a below average skater by NHL standards and a defensive liability. These flaws weren't just apparent in the NHL, which would be understandable for a player his age, but against his peer group in college and at the WJC as well.

I also think that even one of his few NHL level assets, his passing/playmaking, is a bit overrated. He is not an elite playmaker like Eklund, more of a connector who needs his linemates to recover the puck or get it into the zone for him.

Hopefully I'm wrong but his game just doesn't seem projectable to a top six role or an energy role. Maybe he can find a home as a sheltered third line scoring winger (I wouldn't bet on it) but that's not a particularly valuable asset. There's a reason it's September and a guy like Sonny Milano is still unsigned.

As for whether Drury would make this trade I have no idea. Sheng suggested it and I thought it was interesting so I brought it up. Assuming Lundkvist really has demanded a trade, they could do worse.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Bordeleau is small, passive, a below average skater by NHL standards and a defensive liability. These flaws weren't just apparent in the NHL, which would be understandable for a player his age, but against his peer group in college and at the WJC as well.

I also think that even one of his few NHL level assets, his passing/playmaking, is a bit overrated. He is not an elite playmaker like Eklund, more of a connector who needs his linemates to recover the puck or get it into the zone for him.

Hopefully I'm wrong but his game just doesn't seem projectable to a top six role or an energy role. Maybe he can find a home as a sheltered third line scoring winger (I wouldn't bet on it) but that's not a particularly valuable asset. There's a reason it's September and a guy like Sonny Milano is still unsigned.

As for whether Drury would make this trade I have no idea. Sheng suggested it and I thought it was interesting so I brought it up. Assuming Lundkvist really has demanded a trade, they could do worse.
Bordeleau is not below-average in his skating. I'll agree he needs work defensively.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Bordeleau is not below-average in his skating. I'll agree he needs work defensively.
His speed is definitely not an asset and it needs to be at his size. There are just too many things going against him.

Reggae Shark

Sep 30, 2018

Makes sense. If you see him as you've described.

I see a player that can adjust and improve because he's very smart and creative. Pavelski ish, in the sense that he isn't fast and huge, but he "gets it" more than other prospects. Not saying I think he'll be anywhere near Pavs level. Just saying I'm more inclined to take a risk on this type of player to see what may come.

I'm totally in the boat of OZZY for Nils...... I will take that trade all day. And twice on Sunday.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
His speed is definitely not an asset and it needs to be at his size. There are just too many things going against him.
He has high-level hockey sense...that'll be his meal ticket to a future in an NHL top-six. Yes, he doesn't have top-end speed, but he has good agility, above-average edgework, and at least average speed/acceleration.

I can agree that Lundkvist had a solid SHL career. But Bordeleau put up very good college numbers (that, IIRC, translate to 50-60 points at the NHL level) and didn't look out of place in the AHL or NHL. He definitely has a shot.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
He has high-level hockey sense...that'll be his meal ticket to a future in an NHL top-six. Yes, he doesn't have top-end speed, but he has good agility, above-average edgework, and at least average speed/acceleration.

I can agree that Lundkvist had a solid SHL career. But Bordeleau put up very good college numbers (that, IIRC, translate to 50-60 points at the NHL level) and didn't look out of place in the AHL or NHL. He definitely has a shot.
He has high level hockey sense in the offensive zone. I don't think that's going to be enough to solidify a NHL role given his other deficiencies. Also his freshman season at Michigan has all sorts of asterisks attached to it and shouldn't be seriously considered when trying to determine his potential IMO.

Lundkvist's SHL career was more than solid. He won Swedish defenseman of the year as a 20 year old and had the highest points per game by a U20 defenseman ever when he was 19. He did have a very rough time transitioning to North America this past season and that is the risk in trading for him. I'm definitely not saying he's a slam dunk top four defenseman or even third pairing guy. I am saying he's a better bet to be an impactful NHLer than Bordeleau.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
He has high level hockey sense in the offensive zone. I don't think that's going to be enough to solidify a NHL role given his other deficiencies.
High-level hockey sense in the offensive zone nicely translates to high-level hockey sense everywhere else. The toolbox is there...he just needs the tools.

Also his freshman season at Michigan has all sorts of asterisks attached to it and shouldn't be seriously considered when trying to determine his potential IMO.
What asterisks?

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
High-level hockey sense in the offensive zone nicely translates to high-level hockey sense everywhere else. The toolbox is there...he just needs the tools.

What asterisks?
IIRC they beat up on the same 4 or 5 opponents all season due to COVID restrictions and also had their season cut short for that reason. If we took Bordeleau's points per game from that season at face value he would be up there with Jonathan Toews as one of the best D+1 college hockey prospects ever. Bordeleau's D+2 numbers seem far more in line with his performance prior to getting drafted.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
IIRC they beat up on the same 4 or 5 opponents all season due to COVID restrictions and also had their season cut short for that reason. If we took Bordeleau's points per game from that season at face value he would be up there with Jonathan Toews as one of the best D+1 college hockey prospects ever. Bordeleau's D+2 numbers seem far more in line with his performance prior to getting drafted.
He was deployed in a defensive role with guys who will not play hockey above an NCAA level. One of his linemates scored 11 points in 34 games and the other was 14 in 39. Both suck. Bordeleau on the other hand went PPG. Bordeleau was not playing with Beniers, Johnson, Samskovich, or even Duke or Beecher.

Another instance where watching games matters.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
He was deployed in a defensive role with guys who will not play hockey above an NCAA level. One of his linemates scored 11 points in 34 games and the other was 14 in 39. Both suck. Bordeleau on the other hand went PPG. Bordeleau was not playing with Beniers, Johnson, Samskovich, or even Duke or Beecher.

Another instance where watching games matters.
He definitely played with Hughes, Power, Brisson, Johnson, etc. on the power play which is where he scored the majority of his points.

• Haha
Reactions: landshark

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
I don't know how much success Bordeleau will have at the NHL level but even if he is just a really good face-off guy that excels on the PP, that's still valuable.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
He definitely played with Hughes, Power, Brisson, Johnson, etc. on the power play which is where he scored the majority of his points.

He had 2 PPGs and 8PPAs, 1 SHG, 9 ESGs and 17 ESAs. 10 out of 37 points on the power play.
Was gonna post this but you beat me to it. Hodge clearly has never watched a Michigan game or has any idea what he’s talking about.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
Makes sense. If you see him as you've described.

I see a player that can adjust and improve because he's very smart and creative. Pavelski ish, in the sense that he isn't fast and huge, but he "gets it" more than other prospects. Not saying I think he'll be anywhere near Pavs level. Just saying I'm more inclined to take a risk on this type of player to see what may come.

I'm totally in the boat of OZZY for Nils...... I will take that trade all day. And twice on Sunday.
The only problem with using the Pavelski comp there is that Pavelski was very good defensively while Bordeleau has struggled a lot. Also, Pavelski was always more than willing to go to the dirty areas and do the little things, which Bordeleau didn't seem intent on doing in the WJC games. Bordeleau has a lot of stuff to work on to make up for his lack of size and mediocre speed. I do think he'll carve out a career as a middle-6 playmaking winger though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad