Speculation: 2022-23 Sharks Roster Discussion Part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Even if you believe Merkley and Lundkvist are equivalent prospects (I think Lundkvist is clearly superior, but whatever) isn't it twice as good to have two Merkleys and double your chances of getting a NHL defenseman?

Right now the Sharks defense corps both on the big club and in the prospect pool is a barren wasteland. The forwards aren't good either but at least you have Eklund, Bystedt looks intriguing and Hertl and Meier are still on the roster for now.

Now is the time to start taking chances on young defensemen who have fallen out of favor with other organizations. It's much safer to use high draft picks on forwards than defensemen and address the future center depth that way. Our future defense will very likely need to be traded for or signed as UFAs.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
He already told you. Merks didnt go play in some Euro league against "men" of various talent levels so whatever Merks has done doesnt count
He actually didn’t respond to me because it doesn’t fit his argument :laugh:

But yes the SHL where guys like Linus Omark scores over a PPG.

Even if you believe Merkley and Lundkvist are equivalent prospects (I think Lundkvist is clearly superior, but whatever) isn't it twice as good to have two Merkleys and double your chances of getting a NHL defenseman?

Right now the Sharks defense corps both on the big club and in the prospect pool is a barren wasteland. The forwards aren't good either but at least you have Eklund, Bystedt looks intriguing and Hertl and Meier are still on the roster for now.

Now is the time to start taking chances on young defensemen who have fallen out of favor with other organizations. It's much safer to use high draft picks on forwards than defensemen and address the future center depth that way. Our future defense will very likely need to be traded for or signed as UFAs.
BYSTEDT LOOKS INTRIGUING NOW! You hated on that pick when it was made. My god man. Keep a list of your opinions on a spreadsheet or something.

Also no. You can’t just say hey two Merkley’s is good. It’s one Merkley and one future middle 6 C or two Merkley’s. I’d take the C and the D everyday especially because I think Merkley tops out at a Barrie (second pair offensive D) level.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
BYSTEDT LOOKS INTRIGUING NOW! You hated on that pick when it was made. My god man. Keep a list of your opinions on a spreadsheet or something.
So we're just straight up lying now huh? I was one of the only posters in the thread who DIDN'T hate on the pick:

Seems like a solid pick. Welcome to the Sharks!
You don't get SHL minutes as a 17 and 18 year old if you're just some plug. It's one of the best pro leagues in the world. The reaction to this pick from some fans is ridiculous.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
So we're just straight up lying now huh? I was one of the only posters in the thread who DIDN'T hate on the pick:
Got it I was wrong there. You gonna respond to the other point?

(Also that’s how you admit you’re wrong not “okay but what about this!” Figured I’d give you an example here)

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Got it I was wrong there. You gonna respond to the other point?

(Also that’s how you admit you’re wrong not “okay but what about this!” Figured I’d give you an example here)
There's a slight difference between getting a power play point total wrong (which I acknowledged) and straight up fabricating someone else's opinion to accuse them of flip flopping.

I didn't respond to the other point because you didn't address my argument at all. We need young defensemen with top four potential far more than we need small forwards with middle six potential. There will be multiple top ten picks coming the Sharks way over the next few years and those should be used on forwards, preferably centers, who can actually play high in the lineup. Bordeleau very likely cannot.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
There's a slight difference between getting a power play point total wrong (which I acknowledged) and straight up fabricating someone else's opinion to accuse them of flip flopping.

I didn't respond to the other point because you didn't address my argument at all. We need young defensemen with top four potential far more than we need small forwards with middle six potential. There will be multiple top ten picks coming the Sharks way over the next few years and those should be used on forwards, preferably centers, who can actually play high in the lineup. Bordeleau very likely cannot.
You need centers and the Sharks have 3 in their system right now. Robins, Bystedt, and Bordeleau. Robins likely turns out as a winger, Bystedt as a 3C. Bordeleau has issues but has grown every season. You writing him off is not fair in the slightest to him. Maybe he doesn’t end up as an NHLer at all but he has at least equal chance as Lundkvist who for an offensive D with questionable defense has had pretty poor stats. You’ve said before that Merkley might be a bottom pairing guy but isn’t an NHL player. He’s at least equivalent to Lundkvist by all stats if not better. Lundkvist has just as much chance to be a top 4 D as Bordeleau has to be a 2nd line C. I’d take that C over a questionable defensively D every day.

Again I’m not saying don’t acquire Lundkvist. I’m saying it’s dumb as hell to move Bordeleau for him.

Also I’m not fabricating shit. I’ve said what you’ve said the whole time. You keep flip flopping on whatever suits your argument. Thought you’d have gotten better and not been so much of an inconsistent dick over time. I was wrong. Your opinions aren’t bad and are valid but you come across as a needy asshole every time. Welcome back to the ignore list bud!

• Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan and Hodge

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
It really shouldn’t be this controversial to suggest an undersized second round pick is not going to turn into a top six forward

I think it's time to cash out on Bordeleau while he still has value. I've seen enough to conclude he won't have a NHL career.

Yep, these are the same statement based on a consistent assessment

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Yeah, no team is interested in depth scoring, can't have a guy on the 3rd line unless he throws hits
It’s not about throwing hits. You need to bring something else to the table if you’re only scoring 30-35 points a season whether it’s forechecking, killing penalties, above average defensive play. Bordeleau doesn’t do any of that right now.

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
It’s not about throwing hits. You need to bring something else to the table if you’re only scoring 30-35 points a season whether it’s forechecking, killing penalties, above average defensive play. Bordeleau doesn’t do any of that right now.
He does play penalty kill to be fair. He's aggressive in cutting off lanes and stealing pucks off passes. He's also great at faceoffs which is why he was playing shorthanded to win draws in his zone and get it out. No he's not a forechecker and he still has issues with spacing, but he's also still very young.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
He does play penalty kill to be fair. He's aggressive in cutting off lanes and stealing pucks off passes. He's also great at faceoffs which is why he was playing shorthanded to win draws in his zone and get it out. No he's not a forechecker and he still has issues with spacing, but he's also still very young.
He kills penalties and wins faceoffs in college. Hard to project that to the NHL and given his size and defensive awareness I wouldn’t count on it translating.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
I'm not a fan of Merkley and felt that Sharks could have waited until the 2nd round to pick him. I wanted to see him play in the NHL starting last year because he's part of the young guns. The Sharks veterans had their chance to create a competitive, winning attitude for the team but they failed. Instead of a team that shows up every game to play their best, we got to watch a team with guys checking out and turning in poor uninspiring performances in too many games.

It was time to move on, probably past time.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
eh what's even the point of a prospect camp when they're all busts.
It’s hard to play hockey with no arms.

1662747569531.jpeg

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I've never heard of Scott Harrington.
I mean he’s fine. I highly doubt he makes the team. Probably mostly there to fill out numbers. He played with Nutivaara for a few years in CBJ. Left handed D. Fine defensively, doesn’t offer much offensively from what I’ve seen.

They probably want approximately 15 Dmen in training camp so: EK, Vlasic, Ferraro, Simek, Benning, Nutivaara, Megna, Merkley, Cicek, Kniazev, Hatakka, Laroque, Harrington, Pouliout, Onyebuchi

The rest of the D in our system aren’t signed (although neither are the last two but AHL deals so kind of).

Reactions: Sandisfan

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
I mean he’s fine. I highly doubt he makes the team. Probably mostly there to fill out numbers. He played with Nutivaara for a few years in CBJ. Left handed D. Fine defensively, doesn’t offer much offensively from what I’ve seen.

They probably want approximately 15 Dmen in training camp so: EK, Vlasic, Ferraro, Simek, Benning, Nutivaara, Megna, Merkley, Cicek, Kniazev, Hatakka, Laroque, Harrington, Pouliout, Onyebuchi

The rest of the D in our system aren’t signed (although neither are the last two but AHL deals so kind of).

The Barracuda are also really low on defensemen (if seven are on the Sharks, only six are left on the Barracuda), so maybe this is to see if he's worth an AHL contract.

As you say, filling out the numbers. Given the likelihood that Karlsson and Simek get hurt this year, I'd like to have two more Barracuda defensemen going into the season (AHL deals are fine, we have four guys who will be worth a look anyway and the waiver wire should occasionally give us a shot at someone interesting or at least useful).

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
No he didn’t.

I'm not a fan of Merkley and felt that Sharks could have waited until the 2nd round to pick him. I wanted to see him play in the NHL starting last year because he's part of the young guns. The Sharks veterans had their chance to create a competitive, winning attitude for the team but they failed. Instead of a team that shows up every game to play their best, we got to watch a team with guys checking out and turning in poor uninspiring performances in too many games.

It was time to move on, probably past time.
He’s in that same group of players like Lambert, who most here seemed to be drooling over. High risk high reward but I don’t hate taking chances.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad