2022/23 Roster Thread XVIII: The bats have left the bell tower

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Some people here criticize "dinos" for supposedly not adapting to new times and new information,

Yet these same people will denigrate and "gotcha!" a person years later for changing their opinion after years of new information.

(Look at how the prospect group was rated in 2018! Haha!)

Yeah, do you still go by the 1980s Food Pyramid, too?
Do you still think Fletch is a good GM, or have you changed your mind?

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019

chadateit

Jan 11, 2021
I'm waiting for the announcement that we've reached agreements for multiyear contract extensions for Braun and jvr. They are, after all, extremely important for our culture.

pooch

May 30, 2017
To be clear, I don’t hate the player, it was more of a statement about the current state of the franchise. We should be excited about him, but instead, we aren’t because of how incompetent this FO is.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I don’t like how much pressure they’re already putting on him to be high end talent just cause he went 5th in a good but not great draft class. What if it takes him several years to really find his offensive game like Couturier? Are they going to trade him for a vet like Ryane Clowe which Homer was supposedly thinking of doing 10 years ago?

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I think Gauthier will be fine with Torts, his size and speed will allow him to play an aggressive forecheck like his first couple years while he figures out the pro game. As long as he has a high motor he should be effective down the lineup and work his way up as he develops.

This is why they need Couts back for a rebuild, both leadership, and he takes the pressure off young forwards - as we've seen this year, it was asking a lot of Frost and Cates to play top six center in their first full season of play.

Reactions: dats81

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I think Gauthier will be fine with Torts, his size and speed will allow him to play an aggressive forecheck like his first couple years while he figures out the pro game. As long as he has a high motor he should be effective down the lineup and work his way up as he develops.

This is why they need Couts back for a rebuild, both leadership, and he takes the pressure off young forwards - as we've seen this year, it was asking a lot of Frost and Cates to play top six center in their first full season of play.

They're not rebuilding.

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
I don’t like how much pressure they’re already putting on him to be high end talent just cause he went 5th in a good but not great draft class. What if it takes him several years to really find his offensive game like Couturier? Are they going to trade him for a vet like Ryane Clowe which Homer was supposedly thinking of doing 10 years ago?

I think I found a picture of Fletcher and Holmgren....

images

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

There was also rumors that Couturier would get traded for Yandle too

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey

Hello, Dean Lombardi.

As the calls for Chuck Fletcher’s job continue from a large portion of the Flyers’ fan base, I often wonder if Daniel Brière is a legitimate option to replace him. Many anoint him the automatic successor. Is there any accuracy to that and is he really fit to potentially lead this franchise if it comes to that? — Anthony C.

I do believe the ultimate plan is for Daniel Brière to become the general manager of the Flyers.

The real question is when.

I do think it’s a very real possibility that Fletcher is removed as general manager of the Flyers in the offseason. But I’m not fully convinced that in that scenario, ownership would just hand the GM job to Brière. While there’s a belief that Brière is a very intelligent hockey mind and that eventually, he’s going to make for a very good GM, it’s not at all consensus that he’s ready for the role just yet. After all, Brière has only been an official member of the Flyers’ front office for a year, as he was named special assistant to the GM in February 2022.

Yes, he gained some experience running the Maine Mariners of the ECHL for Comcast Spectacor, and was informally working with Fletcher and company for quite a while, before Montreal’s pursuit of Brière last season forced the Flyers into making his front office status official. But I do believe that ideally, they’d like to see the 45-year-old Brière get a few more years of working as an understudy to someone.

My guess is that the Flyers’ preferred succession plan — before the team completely collapsed — was for Brière to work under Fletcher for a few more years, and then Fletcher would eventually relinquish GM duties to Brière while he remained team president. Now, Fletcher might be ordered to relinquish those duties far sooner. Is it possible that ownership just gives the reins to Brière in that scenario? Yeah, it’s possible. But it wouldn’t shock me if they went hired an older, experienced executive with a strong track record, with the plan of having him run the show for a few years and mentor Brière further, with the aim of easing him into the big job a few years from now. Just food for thought on that front.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad