2022/23 Roster Thread XVIII: The bats have left the bell tower

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

FLYERSFAN18

May 31, 2008
Pennsylvania

Hello, Dean Lombardi.
If the plan is for Briere to be the GM come the off-season then they should have just let him make moves at the deadline. It’s dumb to even think it’s a good idea to let a lame duck GM make decisions during a deadline that could jumpstart a rebuild.

As far as being afraid to let Brière go to Montreal that is just asinine. Let him go and get actual experience as a GM, not an assistant GM, and when he eventually parts ways with Montreal bring him back then if you absolutely want to. Just look at what making Hextall GM just because someone was going to pry him away did.

How many GMs other than Yzerman get it right the first time around? And he didn’t even win the cup as GM.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
I mean we're hopeless as an organization, but if Chuck sells and strips this team down by moving Hayes, Provy, JvR, Braun, and Seeler - the next 11 games are a mix of really good teams, and teams that are young/hungry for the playoffs. this honestly could be a 2-8-1 stretch.

TEAR THIS THING DOWN

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It makes more sense for promising kids to play meaningful games on a team with structure, rather than flounder in the NHL on a team that will be mixing and matching lines against top competition. Getting caved in is probably not good for development.

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
It makes more sense for promising kids to play meaningful games on a team with structure, rather than flounder in the NHL on a team that will be mixing and matching lines against top competition. Getting caved in is probably not good for development.
If only that's what you told us at the beginning of the year....ReVoLvInG dOoR!!!!

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey

From Sunday:

If the Flyers were playing for next year, that revolving door wouldn't be locked shut

Desnoyers and Lycksell are already up, by Friday, it's likely that Braun and Seeler will have new addresses.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Who cares about the last twenty games?
The only thing that matters is getting kids ready for TC this fall.
So which is better, a floundering NHL or the AHL playoffs?
Add that Andrae may come over on an ATO, and some college kids as well.
So extending the Phantom's season may have more development value than rushing prospects to Philly for meaningless blowout games.

The only point of seeing these kids in NHL games right now is to get a feel for their skill package.
You only need a few games for that.
I'd probably bring Ginning up for a few games, see if he's for real or just an AHL artifact.
If Andrae comes over, maybe promote Zamula and give his minutes to Andrae.

Willman, J Cates, you're not developing them for the future, just judging them as short-term depth.
Might give Marody a shot. He's not a NHL center, but maybe can be a better version of Minshew at RW.

There's no right answer (other than bored fans who want to see the prospects on TV).

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Cody Webster

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Who cares about the last twenty games?
The only thing that matters is getting kids ready for TC this fall.
So which is better, a floundering NHL or the AHL playoffs?
Add that Andrae may come over on an ATO, and some college kids as well.
So extending the Phantom's season may have more development value than rushing prospects to Philly for meaningless blowout games.
What changed between Sunday and now?

Oops.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Everything depends on context, if the Phantoms were going nowhere, the prospects would be better off getting acclimated to the NHL.

But if the Phantoms can make a playoff run, that's a better situation than playing in a series of blowout losses in the NHL. AHL playoff hockey is a competitive tier above AHL regular season, and good experience for prospects.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Who cares about the last 20 games?

The first 2 months of the season don't matter.

Man...only the middle 40 games mean anything, I guess.
I’m nearly certain that there’s multiple posts out there stating the importance of March and April.

Here’s one though from January.

Torts legacy isn't going to be enhanced by a playoff appearance, he's taken 3 different teams to the playoffs and won a SC.
What would enhance his legacy is to retire after building the Flyers into a perennial winner, a top 8 team with a legitimate shot to win a Cup. That would guarantee a HOF spot.

Look who he's playing:

Hayes (30, Laughton (28) on the 3rd line.
Frost (23), Tippett (23), TK (25), Cates (23), Farabee (22) on the top two lines.
JVR as a stabilizing influence, but also being showcased for a TDL trade. Along with Braun.

York (21), Sanheim (26), TDA (27), Provorov (26) are your top 4 D-men.

People focused too much on October minutes, I think you'll learn more from March/April minutes, auditioning players for next year's team after the veterans are shipped out at the TDL, then this summer (Hayes et al).

As far as Brink, he should be in LHV in January, it'll probably take a month for him to get his game legs back, so I'm curious to see how he plays the last 20-30 games there.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It's the games starting from December 7th that matter.
Actually they were, b/c that's when Frost and Cates got set lines and made substantial strides.
This year was all about development, and Frost, Cates, Tippett, Allison and York have developed nicely.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I’m nearly certain that there’s multiple posts out there stating the importance of March and April.

Here’s one though from January.
Talk about totally whiffing, that was about Torts' motivation, not the value of April non-competitive hockey.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Talk about totally whiffing, that was about Torts' motivation, not the value of April non-competitive hockey.
When did I say it was about the value of April non-competitive hockey?

The point is that you are notorious for moving goalposts and timelines. When something does or doesn’t happen you change your tune.

You stated that April minutes will tell you a lot and now those April minutes don’t matter because the organization has decided that the AHL is more important. Make no mistake about it, those April minutes were always going to be non-competitive.

Anything and everything that this franchise does must be defended and anytime that your BS gets called out you deflect and act as if things never happened.

This board deserves more respect than you give it. We’re not simpletons that are going to fall for the charades. Maybe that has worked in some areas of your life but not here. Your BS will be called out.

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
Who cares about the last 20 games?

The first 2 months of the season don't matter.

Man...only the middle 40 games mean anything, I guess.

From December 7th on to be precise

Edit - oh well @Nizzle was on the case already and somehow hilariously that guy really doubles down on it

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
April minutes matter, but they matter as much in the AHL playoffs, same way CHL playoffs are a better "tell" than the CHL regular season, or the SHL playoffs . . .
Better competition with more at stake.

Playing well in the last 20 NHL games has value as well - but with whom?
Would we learn much with Foerster at RW with Laughton at center?

Like I said, it's six of one, half dozen of the other.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
April minutes matter, but they matter as much in the AHL playoffs, same way CHL playoffs are a better "tell" than the CHL regular season, or the SHL playoffs . . .
Better competition with more at stake.

Playing well in the last 20 NHL games has value as well - but with whom?
Would we learn much with Foerster at RW with Laughton at center?

Like I said, it's six of one, half dozen of the other.

You've really walked back the "latter part of the season will be youth galore" predictions. Walked it all back to "it is actually good they aren't getting chances."

The team keeps doing the opposite of what you think should happen and you keep defending it.

Reactions: Cody Webster
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad