2022/23 Roster Thread XVII: The Days are Getting Longer

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
Charlie brought up a pretty depressing observation on BSH radio this week.

Remember that defense of the future we we’re all excited about?

Morin - retired, barely even played.
Hagg - traded along with a 1st and 2nd to get AND re-sign Risto
Ghost - gifted to the Coyotes along with a 2nd and a 7th.
Provorov - on his way out, has been good but clearly not a #1.
Sanheim - has been good and probably the only one sans drama.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
You forget Cam Ward? Intriguing omission to leave the Conn Smythe winner out.

Staal, Ward, and Williams carried that team. Staal and Ward especially. Cut your zero-context cherrypicking. Lavi's rep coming into Philly was that he would be a great development coach because of the way he got the most out of youth in Carolina.

Making a list of players and their ages is garbage that does nothing to account for their usage and impact. But you know this. For some reason you've decided to be deliberately misleading about Lavi, probably because you determined it might work as an example to defend Fletcher always going against what you say would be best. Whatever your motivation is, it's nakedly untrue.
Staal was the #2 pick in the draft, 4 years after his draft season. Had a full NHL season under his belt
Williams was 24, in his 5th NHL season, some "kid."
Ward was the backup goalie who got hot in the playoffs - you gonna credit that to Lavi, you have to credit Hart's PO run to AV.

That's the sum total of young players Lavi "coached up."
Talk about "cherry picking."

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Staal was the #2 pick in the draft, 4 years after his draft season. Had a full NHL season under his belt
Williams was 24, in his 5th NHL season, some "kid."
Ward was the backup goalie who got hot in the playoffs - you gonna credit that to Lavi, you have to credit Hart's PO run to AV.

That's the sum total of young players Lavi "coached up."
Talk about "cherry picking."

Time to move the goalposts, I see.

Suddenly raw age is irrelevant. Suddenly we are redefining what youth is. You yourself have always labeled "under 25" as youth. Suddenly 24 is veteran. Laughable.

This is transparent. Why are you so attached to pushing this false narrative? How do you believe it defends management? Just be direct.

Still ignoring Ward, too. Haven't figured out how to distort that yet I guess.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Charlie brought up a pretty depressing observation on BSH radio this week.

Remember that defense of the future we we’re all excited about?

Morin - retired, barely even played.
Hagg - traded along with a 1st and 2nd to get AND re-sign Risto
Ghost - gifted to the Coyotes along with a 2nd and a 7th.
Provorov - on his way out, has been good but clearly not a #1.
Sanheim - has been good and probably the only one sans drama.
Forgot Myers.

Reactions: flyersnorth

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Time to move the goalposts, I see.

Suddenly raw age is irrelevant. Suddenly we are redefining what youth is. You yourself have always labeled "under 25" as youth. Suddenly 24 is veteran. Laughable.

This is transparent. Why are you so attached to pushing this false narrative? How do you believe it defends management? Just be direct.

Still ignoring Ward, too. Haven't figured out how to distort that yet I guess.
Ah, I think we have another situation of “my definition is different than yours so I can’t be wrong.”

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
Is this the dumbest platitude in sports?

“Play the right way”
51A141AA-CD12-4F30-A27B-E31CBA1CEE60.jpeg

I don’t think there’s another sports “nothing-ism” that grinds my gears more.

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
Is this the dumbest platitude in sports?

“Play the right way”
View attachment 635760

I don’t think there’s another sports “nothing-ism” that grinds my gears more.
what the OP should have said is "this Org will be stuck in groundhog day forever with this old school thinking that gets them never closer to a cup and at the same time moves the window down the road by continualy picking in no mans land at the draft..."

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
There is nothing dumb about "play the right way."

Just look at young players making egregious errors on defense or failing to backcheck or half assing block shots attempt, screening the goalie without blocking the shot - all of which we saw the last couple weeks playing bad teams.

Fundamentals are fundamental - but a lot of bad teams fail to teach fundamentals, which is one reason they're bad.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
what the OP should have said is "this Org will be stuck in groundhog day forever with this old school thinking that gets them never closer to a cup and at the same time moves the window down the road by continualy picking in no mans land at the draft..."

It’s really become a wonderful care study on men who refuse to adapt to the way the world around them changes.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
There is actually something very dumb about "playing the right way." It's that there is no single "right way," and every coach has their own interpretation of what that means. We were supposed to worship at the altar of the 9th winningest coach all-time, no? Yet, the next coach comes in and rips apart this team at a fundamental level. Kevin Hayes apparently "played the right way" for Vigneault.

If the "right way" just comes down to effort, then hire a really good motivational speaker. Having said that, I'm not disagreeing Tortorella can be a good motivator. But it doesn't speak to hockey tactics.

Chicken N Raffls

Here for the chaos and lolz
Nov 7, 2022
Douglassville
There is actually something very dumb about "playing the right way." It's that there is no single "right way," and every coach has their own interpretation of what that means. We were supposed to worship at the altar of the 9th winningest coach all-time, no? Yet, the next coach comes in and rips apart this team at a fundamental level. Kevin Hayes apparently "played the right way" for Vigneault.

If the "right way" just comes down to effort, then hire a really good motivational speaker. Having said that, I'm not disagreeing Tortorella can be a good motivator. But it doesn't speak to hockey tactics.

You better hustle on the backcheck kid, or you'll be living in a van, down by the river!

Funny enough, I don't think I've ever heard that McDavid "plays the right way", but if I were a coach, I'd want my guys to play like that. But I'm not a coach.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Would love to hear everyone interpretation on "playing the right way".

Playing the right way is playing whichever way gets the most out of an individual. "The right way to play" can vary from player to player. It's a complicated thing. Basically, let them play to their strengths.

Any coach with a single idea of what the Right Way is and who is inflexible is likely getting the least out of most of their players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad